[Reddit] RX 480 fails PCI-E specification - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Reddit] RX 480 fails PCI-E specification

Closed Thread

post #1 of 1129 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 13 (Unique: 13)
I'm surprised to see with all the RX 480 talk today, this isn't even in the rumors section.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/4qg4p7/rx_480_fails_pcie_specification/
Quote:
With Tom's Hardware reporting that the RX 480 draws (substantially) more than the 75W allowed from the motherboard (for example, the PCI Express high-power card spec allows a maximum of 66W to be drawn from the 12V pins of the PCI Express slot, and the RX 480 averages 79W from the 12V lines alone) AMD seems to be violating the PCI Express(R) spec.

According to the licensing contract for the spec, if they do not fix this within 3 months, AMD will NOT be able to call the card a PCI Express card. If they do, they face not only litigation, but if my understanding is correct an action before the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) to ban the importation of the card as counterfeit goods. You might think the PCI-SIG will give AMD a pass, but if they do, they risk loosing the trademark entirely. An unforced trademark gets invalidated. The SIG won't let that happen.

If true, this could be a huge issue and may cost AMD a lot of money they don't have. I would imagine to correct the issue, they would either that to intentionally gimp the BIOS, do a recall and put an 8-pin connector on it, or something. Again, if true, this would make the 3.5GB issue the nVidia 970 had look tiny. Especially since there is a potential to cause damage to motherboards.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1129 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 13 (Unique: 13)
AMD apparently is looking into the issue, and it isn't just one person who is seeing this.
Quote:
Great question and I am really glad you asked.

We have extensive testing internally on our PCIE compliance and RX480 passed our testing. However we have received feedback from some of the reviewers on high current observed on PCIE in some cases. We are looking into these scenarios as we speak and reproduce these scenarios internally. Our engineering team is fully engaged.

post #3 of 1129 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 03:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 71 (Unique: 59)
The hype train fell of the tracks. When the 1080 consumes marginally more power than the 480, the hype train is off the tracks and out of steam. I've been planning on getting a 480 for months. As it stands now, I'll get a 1060 or more likely a 1070 when they are available for prices closer to MSRP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 1129 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 03:35 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 228 (Unique: 205)
where the cards overclocked when the power overdraw happened this simply could be a case where amd shipped a product that falls within spec but users being users pushed the product out of spec it's not amd's fault. If it's a case where the card "turbo's" up and the the draw is observed, then amd could just push out a new driver with a software clock limiter for the user's to circumvent as always.

The second update from AMD seems to indicate it might just be a batch of cards being the issue but this will be interesting to keep an eye on.

5GHz 2700k http://files.overclock.net/images/smilies/thumb.gif
MY PC
(8 items)
CPU
3900x
Motherboard
Gigabyte X570 Master
GPU
1080 ti FTW3
RAM
G.Skill Trident Z
Hard Drive
WD SN750
Power Supply
EVGA 1000P
Case
Corsair 460X
Operating System
W10H
▲ hide details ▲
post #5 of 1129 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 03:42 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1084 (Unique: 711)
This is a big problem for AMD Rx 480 especially when it comes to OEM systems which have cheap PSUs and motherboards. I don't know how AMD can keep messing up product launches like this. God they never learn. tongue.gif

post #6 of 1129 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 03:43 PM
Finding order in chaos

Rep: 28 (Unique: 28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. biggums View Post

where the cards overclocked when the power overdraw happened this simply could be a case where amd shipped a product that falls within spec but users being users pushed the product out of spec it's not amd's fault. If it's a case where the card "turbo's" up and the the draw is observed, then amd could just push out a new driver with a software clock limiter for the user's to circumvent as always.

The second update from AMD seems to indicate it might just be a batch of cards being the issue but this will be interesting to keep an eye on.

This, it would be good to know
post #7 of 1129 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 03:46 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 157 (Unique: 135)
Why the heck would they not put a 8pin on there.
post #8 of 1129 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 03:48 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 26 (Unique: 19)
So if it were a case of drawing within spec while at stock clocks, but out of spec when oc'd, who would liability fall on with the overclocked reference cards that were released?
post #9 of 1129 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 03:52 PM
Programmer

Rep: 1555 (Unique: 1017)
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoray View Post

Why the heck would they not put a 8pin on there.

They tried to look all cool and hip with a 6 pin. Really an 8 pin is needed for a modern somewhat efficient GPU!

Intel Core i9 9900K HT 5GHz
GIGABYTE Z390 Ultra
AMD ASUS STRIX OC VEGA 64
G-Skill Trident 2x8GB DDR4 4000MHz
Samsung EVO NVM.e 250GB
SeaSonic 1250W Gold
Corsair 900D + Custom Loop.

post #10 of 1129 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 03:53 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 453 (Unique: 358)
This smells like a bad design decision to me.

Cheap 6-pin power input, cheap heatsink... maybe someone at AMD was trying to cut manufacturing costs, but cut out a little too much. Or maybe it was a miscommunication, with the shipping cards using far more power than expected.

Maybe the review cards were funky. Maybe it was some of each.

Either way, a ton of 3rd party cards will ship with 8 pin connectors on custom PCBs anyway. Hell, it might be like the 6850, where we didn't see any reference cards/PCBs out in the wild.

Sent from my Sig Rig
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in