[AMD] Official AMD PCIe statement and new driver 16.7.1 coming in 24 hours - Page 6 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[AMD] Official AMD PCIe statement and new driver 16.7.1 coming in 24 hours

post #51 of 100 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 06:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 125 (Unique: 92)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klocek001 View Post

lol h61 is s.1155 so Sandy/Ivy

But H61 did not crash, and only game he tested was Overwatch. Maybe you should watch your video again. Top video you linked. Firestrike wouldn't run on his $25 dollar gaming pc build. Which he states is a LGA775 mobo. Also doesn't list any testing specs other than Mobo type, DDRx capacity, PSU wattage. GPU. The only info given on his $25 build is it's a lga775 with a rx480. I mean if this is the type of "reviews" you go by, by all means knock yourself out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsumi go_quote.gif

You're just nitpicking words now. I was talking about in terms of performance, those are the only measurements that matter. Not IPC or clock speed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsumi go_quote.gif

If Bulldozer came out of the box at 5 ghz and overclocked to 6 ghz on air, no one would have said it was a failure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 100 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 07:31 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 140 (Unique: 94)
New drivers coming to address this?
"All Aboard"
biggrin.gif

But I agree this is blown way out of spec. (see what I did there smile.gif) with the adaption rate increasing for win10 it's easily assumed that many aren't using eol mb's like the lga775. So IMO this is a storm in a tea cup situation.
post #53 of 100 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoast View Post

New drivers coming to address this?
"All Aboard"
biggrin.gif

But I agree this is blown way out of spec. (see what I did there smile.gif) with the adaption rate increasing for win10 it's easily assumed that many aren't using eol mb's like the lga775. So IMO this is a storm in a tea cup situation.

If using an AM2 board you're going to bottleneck the 480 anyway with those cpus, even if you have the best possible quad OC'd on the 775 a 480 would still be wasted on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 100 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 08:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 217 (Unique: 135)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klocek001 View Post

3:35, he says the only game that didn't crash was overwatch. all the others he ran crashed. It also couldn't complete benchmarks.

around 2:40 you can see the card powers off the system in ROTR

It crashes on OLD motherboards. New low end boards have no issues. AM2+ and LGA 775 are about 10 years old now, the fact that a new GPU does not work with them is no surprise. Many motherboards that old will not work with new cards anyway due to shoddy GPU initialization futzing with the BIOS compatibility mode of newer GPU firmware.

HP-UX. I came, I saw, I was sad it would not run on my X86 box.
skull.gif [Official]AMD RX 480/ 470/ 460 Owners Club skull.gif
post #55 of 100 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarathKasun View Post

It crashes on OLD motherboards. New low end boards have no issues. AM2+ and LGA 775 are about 10 years old now, the fact that a new GPU does not work with them is no surprise. Many motherboards that old will not work with new cards anyway due to shoddy GPU initialization futzing with the BIOS compatibility mode of newer GPU firmware.

Yep, I've had to update motherboard bios' only several years old due to PCIE incompatibilities, good luck having any bios revision work with 10 year old boards.
post #56 of 100 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 08:37 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 5)
There has to be a specific reason why LGA 775 and AM2+ motherboards and below, might have this issue.

I can see it as, older PCIe certifications causing issues, Like say..the motherboard's OCP was tripped due to the power draw being too high

Or, possibly that those motherboards actually didn't supply 75watts fully and it actually drew more from the PEG instead..no one bothered to look into that until now.

The only way to test that is to grab an older board with a different card other than the 480 and see what happens.

I also believe this isn't an issue on new boards because we have like...oh say

220watt CPUs that glady draw a ton of power.

CPUs on motherboards with only 4pin power connectors..have to draw more power from somewhere, no?

MultiGPU boards, so they have to be designed to take punishment like the 480 brings. etc
post #57 of 100 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 08:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 29 (Unique: 26)
I had to get a new OS because Vista wouldn't recognize my R9 285. Then I had to get a new MB and RAM because the DDR2 was bottlenecking the 285. It's not uncommon to have to upgrade more than one old part when you want to play new games.

I sure would like a thread with factual discussions to help me and others make a decision, but some people have to put in enough time bashing AMD to earn there Green Team honor badges.

Ryzen 9 3900X, ASRock X570 Taichi, 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 CL19, ASRock RX580 8GB Phantom X

post #58 of 100 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 08:44 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyro71 View Post

There has to be a specific reason why LGA 775 and AM2+ motherboards and below, might have this issue.

I can see it as, older PCIe certifications causing issues, Like say..the motherboard's OCP was tripped due to the power draw being too high

Or, possibly that those motherboards actually didn't supply 75watts fully and it actually drew more from the PEG instead..no one bothered to look into that until now.

The only way to test that is to grab an older board with a different card other than the 480 and see what happens.

I also believe this isn't an issue on new boards because we have like...oh say

220watt CPUs that glady draw a ton of power.

CPUs on motherboards with only 4pin power connectors..have to draw more power from somewhere, no?

MultiGPU boards, so they have to be designed to take punishment like the 480 brings. etc

CPU power is on a totally different circuit. 4 pin CPU power connector is good enough for any stock CPU other than FX 9xxx series or LGA 2011/1366.

post #59 of 100 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 08:52 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarathKasun View Post

CPU power is on a totally different circuit. 4 pin CPU power connector is good enough for any stock CPU other than FX 9xxx series or LGA 2011/1366.

You are still drawing power from the board, correct? Even though PCIe and the CPU maybe wired differently, the power is coming from one area. + 4pin/6 or 8pin power connectors.
post #60 of 100 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 09:17 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyro71 View Post

You are still drawing power from the board, correct? Even though PCIe and the CPU maybe wired differently, the power is coming from one area. + 4pin/6 or 8pin power connectors.

No, they are not connected electrically. CPU VRM is like a separate PCB when you talk about motherboard voltage delivery. The CPU VRM only has a connection to the 4/8pin socket. If this were not true, multiple powersupply rails would be useless as you would be shorting them together in the board.

A GPU on the other hand is built around sourcing power from multiple inputs. With specific sections of the regulation circuit being connected to specific inputs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in