[FSFE] EOMA68: The Campaign - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[FSFE] EOMA68: The Campaign

 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Allanitomwesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Nairobi,Kenya
Posts: 1,638
Rep: 52 (Unique: 35)
Of course, EOMA68 is about more than just conveniently taking your computer with you because it is now small enough to fit in a wallet. Even if you do not intend to regularly move your computer card from device to device, it emphasises various sustainability issues such as power consumption (deliberately kept low), long-term support and matters of freedom (the selection of CPUs that completely support Free Software and do not introduce surveillance backdoors), and device longevity (that when the user wants to upgrade, they may easily use the card in something else that might benefit from it).
Article
Source

Good things come to those who wait.
Allanitomwesh is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 01:03 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Yttrium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 451
Rep: 23 (Unique: 19)
can this even be considered news? crowdfunding projects are notorious for their delivery on the product. it might even be better off in rumours.
Yttrium is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Allanitomwesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Nairobi,Kenya
Posts: 1,638
Rep: 52 (Unique: 35)
Yeah, Free Software Foundation is very very strict on what they give Respects Your Freedom certification. For these guys to be going for it is news

Good things come to those who wait.
Allanitomwesh is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 12:02 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Yttrium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 451
Rep: 23 (Unique: 19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanitomwesh View Post

Yeah, Free Software Foundation is very very strict on what they give Respects Your Freedom certification. For these guys to be going for it is news

I've seen the most idiotic **** being picked up on by "reputable news sites" Like the "basslet" which is total BS
Yttrium is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Allanitomwesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Nairobi,Kenya
Posts: 1,638
Rep: 52 (Unique: 35)
Yeah amd this one actually deserves hype
but I think only Linux Magazine and Phoronix wrote articles on it from the "big guys"

Good things come to those who wait.
Allanitomwesh is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 03:19 AM
Linux Lobbyist
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,636
Rep: 485 (Unique: 408)
I can't see this taking off at all. How is this better than an Intel Compute Stick running Ubuntu 14.04? Looks like eoma68 would win on power consumption and more ram. Existing solutions seem more portable and feature better performance. It doesn't even win on price since you can find the Intel Linux based Compute Sticks for $55, although I guess that would change if it ever becomes a more mainstream standard. Open source seems important to the core of this project, yet Allwinner doesnt seem to be playing ball. If your not really getting open source anyway, it seems it would be infinitely smarter to go with Intel. Atleast the documentation and support would be top notch.

Maybe I'm missing the point but it seems like the Eoma68 project should be more about establishing a common standard/interface to share devices display/input/network capabilities instead of portable hardware. The portable hardware should be whatever flavor the individual prefers... Linux / Win10 / OS X ect.

Checkout my DOSBox LIVEusb - https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/
Retrogaming made portable.

PassMark System Score: Passmark Rating 5,710, CPU Mark 19,985CPU-Z Validation: LINK AIDA64: LINKCinebench15: LINK Geekbench3 scores: LINK Geekbench4.1 scores: LINKUserBenchmarks: CPU: 105.5%, GPU: 111.7% MEM: 127.9%
BinaryDemon is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 07:41 AM
Just living in a van...
 
technodanvan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 1,438
Rep: 124 (Unique: 100)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryDemon View Post

I can't see this taking off at all. How is this better than an Intel Compute Stick running Ubuntu 14.04? Looks like eoma68 would win on power consumption and more ram. Existing solutions seem more portable and feature better performance. It doesn't even win on price since you can find the Intel Linux based Compute Sticks for $55, although I guess that would change if it ever becomes a more mainstream standard. Open source seems important to the core of this project, yet Allwinner doesnt seem to be playing ball. If your not really getting open source anyway, it seems it would be infinitely smarter to go with Intel. Atleast the documentation and support would be top notch.

Maybe I'm missing the point but it seems like the Eoma68 project should be more about establishing a common standard/interface to share devices display/input/network capabilities instead of portable hardware. The portable hardware should be whatever flavor the individual prefers... Linux / Win10 / OS X ect.

I believe EOMA68 implementation is indeed a common standard, but this particular implementation is aiming for "Respect Your Freedom" certification, which Intel cannot claim given recent articles regarding certain backdoors in their processors. This implementation is also aiming to be as environmentally friendly as possible, which I don't think is a necessary aspect of EOMA68.

So they're really approaching this from a few angles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yttrium View Post

can this even be considered news? crowdfunding projects are notorious for their delivery on the product. it might even be better off in rumours.

This is way more interesting than seeing another "Windows 10 is raping your mother/sister/grandfather" thread.

technodanvan is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 01:22 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Gungnir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 815
Rep: 35 (Unique: 34)
It's an interesting design; that A20 probably isn't going to give a very nice experience, but it's cheap, low power, and readily available (which is a big problem with ARM chips for small companies). An FSF endorsement of an Allwinner (aka the king of GPL violations) device would be kind of funny, though. The only real problem with this that I can see is the price: $1200 for what is essentially a 3D printed oversized netbook is kind of a tough sell, even with the upgradable internals and RYF certification. Fully free devices are always expensive, and even more so when mobile, but that seems over the top.

~Gungnir


BOINC Stats | BOINCers Gone Bonkers
Clubs (Click to show)Quotes (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatelolcats go_quote.gif

the "stir" in the scientific community must be the toilet flushing, because this experiment is crap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Puft go_quote.gif

He couldnt overclock his way out of a paper bag
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultracarpet go_quote.gif

Thus, June 29th was forever remembered, and cherrished, as "October Day". A day to give thanks to those few who sacrificed their e-pride in 2016, and bless friends and family with the simple prayer: "May you one day validate beyond 850mhz".

i5 2500k @ 5.3ghz


Gungnir is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Allanitomwesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Nairobi,Kenya
Posts: 1,638
Rep: 52 (Unique: 35)
Sixty five for the card
Fifteen for the cables
Ten bucks international shipping
so for ninety dollars you should be set, if you have a monitor already, or you want a low power headless unit.

Good things come to those who wait.
Allanitomwesh is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off