[GK] HP Screws its Printer Customers With Ink Cartridge Timebomb - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[GK] HP Screws its Printer Customers With Ink Cartridge Timebomb

post #31 of 99 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 07:38 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 164 (Unique: 109)
Don't worry guys the free market will straighten this all out and save the consumers. No need to regulate anything!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 99 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 08:07 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 175 (Unique: 111)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpankyMcFlych View Post

Don't worry guys the free market will straighten this all out and save the consumers. No need to regulate anything!

Funny you should say that since the DMCA is what would prevent the free-market from making another firmware option that doesn't do this.

CPU
AMD Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard
Asus Prime X470-Pro
GPU
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 XC Ultra
RAM
TeamGroup T-Force 16 GB (2x8) Pro Dark (B-die TDPGD416G3200HC14ADC01)
Hard Drive
ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Platinum SSR-750PX
Cooling
Corsair H80i (not V2 or GT)
Monitor
LG 34UC80-B
Keyboard
Logitech G413
Mouse
Logitech G503 RGB
Audio
Creative SoundBlaster Z (OEM)
▲ hide details ▲
post #33 of 99 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 08:17 PM
Iconoclast

Rep: 3139 (Unique: 1872)
Stopped buying HP quite a while ago, but it's getting harder and harder to find manufacturers that don't pull this sort of crap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by umeng2002 View Post

Funny you should say that since the DMCA is what would prevent the free-market from making another firmware option that doesn't do this.

"Free market" and "capitalism" take a lot of flak for problems that are often caused by decades of anti-competitive, mixed-economy, regulation.

...rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. -- Thomas Jefferson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 99 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 08:19 PM
I might have tacos tonite

Rep: 491 (Unique: 345)
The free market would fix this... all people have to do is stop buying HP printers because of the DRM cartridges.

If people still buy them despite the DRM cartridges... it's apparently not really an issue, and shouldn't be regulated.

post #35 of 99 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 08:20 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 254 (Unique: 189)
Quote:

On September 13, reports started pouring in from people who owned the same Envy printer as the content-looking woman above.

Not to be anal, but the photo in the original post clearly shows a laser toner printer, not an HP Envy.

THIS is the original photo...

BTW I got so fed up with the B.S. of dealing with ink (aligning/calibrating/priming/cleaning ect.) that I vowed to never again use an ink jet printer so I got myself a Brother laser printer. A $40 toner cartridge can get you 2,000 pages compared to 200 pages that you can get from an inkjet printer. Inkjet printers waste ink even when you're not printing. Nope.

The laser printer costs more but pays for itself many times over in toner. Plus you get full duplex, a document feeder and scanner, and network connectivity for a home office.
post #36 of 99 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 08:37 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 285 (Unique: 205)
The alternative to this is printer prices going through the roof. You guys do realize that the majority of money in the printing industry is made on ink cartridges, right? Printers today are so cheap and do so much that the manufacturers literally bet on the fact that you will buy a cheap printer and then spend a ton on ink.

post #37 of 99 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 08:39 PM

You guys sure you are using the right synonym of pedantic?
post #38 of 99 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 08:42 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
Is this only for this particular printer? I thought Brother and Canon were the ones doing this, and HPs were refillable.
post #39 of 99 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 08:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 27 (Unique: 26)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aweir View Post

Not to be anal, but the photo in the original post clearly shows a laser toner printer, not an HP Envy.

THIS is the original photo...

BTW I got so fed up with the B.S. of dealing with ink (aligning/calibrating/priming/cleaning ect.) that I vowed to never again use an ink jet printer so I got myself a Brother laser printer. A $40 toner cartridge can get you 2,000 pages compared to 200 pages that you can get from an inkjet printer. Inkjet printers waste ink even when you're not printing. Nope.

The laser printer costs more but pays for itself many times over in toner. Plus you get full duplex, a document feeder and scanner, and network connectivity for a home office.

Have to agree neither of those like like credible sources and of great validity.

With that being said though all print manufacturers purposely CODE (updates or firmware) that tell you to buy consumables far more often and frequent than is actually required - and it isn't hard to find ways to "switch them off" or diffuse them.

I work for the Australian Fed. Govt and even with our large scale MFD (ApeosPort V C5575) were told to "just ignore the prompts" for "toner needs replacing", etc.

They all try and "rip us off" - google and learn how to disable the "false positives".

Cardboard Box, peanut dispenser, highly conc caffine intravenous drip, little monkey w "electro El Shocko rectal probe", 3dMark05=349586045789473
post #40 of 99 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 08:57 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 293 (Unique: 220)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy9000 View Post

This is why I only buy Brother printers, and make sure my work does too.

Never had any issues with the Brother laser printers I own and will continue to use them as my primary printer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerJohn View Post

Who buys ink cartridges anyway? It's cheaper just to buy a new printer.

Which tells you everything you need to know about the consumer printer market.

This is why I use a continuous ink supply system on my two older HP printers. And if I do run into an issue with a cartridge, I just grab a recycled two pack off ebay for $10 - $15 (depending on black or color) and if they don't work right, the company has sent me replacements free of charge. So I have not and will not support HP directly anymore.

I will never touch a printer that has a programmed chip on the cartridges ever again. Had an Epson printer that had those and had a chip re setter for when I refilled them, such a pain in the ass, never again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerVI View Post

I bought an Epson Eco SuperTank Printer. Works great and tons of ink. Decent photo print too.

This thing prints and prints and prints and the ink just lasts!

Expensive upfront cost, but totally worth it after about a year of kids and wife printing on it.

I have considered getting one of those, but that steep price point throws it out the window for me. I'll just keep using my old HP printers with CISS and cheap ink from amazon /ebay for my color printing needs until those come down to a price I can afford.

I don't reply to trolls.

RIP SyrillianWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrillian go_quote.gif

Woohoo!

Well done you zombie stompin', Best Buy dissin' Lion Man!

applaud.gif

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in