[Notebookcheck.net]Samsung releases roadmap to 3 nm fabrication process - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Notebookcheck.net]Samsung releases roadmap to 3 nm fabrication process

post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 11)
[Notebookcheck.net]Samsung releases roadmap to 3 nm fabrication process

Quote:
On May 22, Samsung disclosed a detailed manufacturing process milestone roadmap for the next several years at the company’s 3rd annual US Samsung Foundry Forum. The South Korean company is determined to deliver the fastest and most energy-efficient SoCs for high-performance computing and connected devices that would “give people access to data, analysis and insight in new and previously unthought-of ways to make human lives better.” Samsung included an overview of its next major stepping milestones all the way up to 3 nm.
Source
Samsung newsroom

Man, how things changed... 5-6 years earlier I would have expected these news from Intel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 12:52 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 51 (Unique: 46)
Quote:
connected devices that would “give people access to data, analysis and insight in new and previously unthought-of ways to make human lives better
Oh, like these devices? How altruistic of them
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by starliner View Post
Oh, like these devices? How altruistic of them
Yeah, "smart" devices... Sadly these devices are driving force for tech improvements...

Last edited by ibb27; 05-25-2018 at 01:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 06:11 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 43 (Unique: 26)
Is it me, or are all these process nodes low power / cell phone related?
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 06:20 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 55 (Unique: 43)
Quote: Originally Posted by Lee Patekar View Post
Is it me, or are all these process nodes low power / cell phone related?
A smaller process node brings more efficiency, and mobile prioritizes efficiency / power savings more than any other device--it makes sense that mobile devices would be at the front as the consumer demand for that increased efficiency, or increased power at comparable levels of efficiency would be greater.

It's all about the money.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 03:01 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 71 (Unique: 64)
Quote: Originally Posted by Aemonn View Post
A smaller process node brings more efficiency, and mobile prioritizes efficiency / power savings more than any other device--it makes sense that mobile devices would be at the front as the consumer demand for that increased efficiency, or increased power at comparable levels of efficiency would be greater.

It's all about the money.
They're also simpler to fabricate compared to larger dies IIRC

post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 03:17 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 93 (Unique: 48)
How many generations ahead of Intel will Samsung be when their 3nm is sampling to customers? Guesses on a postcard with your name and address to Chipzilla HQ, Ca.

* Ryzen 7 2700X * Gigabyte Aorus X370 Gaming 5 *16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4 3200Mhz memory * 500GB Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2/500GB Crucial BX300
EVGA FTW2 1070 Ti * NZXT S340 Elite White
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 12:42 AM
ObiwanShinobi

Rep: 0
This confirms it. There are no more innovations for desktop computing and the cell phones and consoles have ruined everything. we can't even do anything fun or useful on stupid phones and I still have no reason to upgrade from my LG G5 from late 2015...snapdragon 821 chip is FAR from dead and still stomps on what most people have I see these days because everyone wants an LG aristo or a ZTE max. I mean the ZTE max is a 6 inch phone everyone thinks is the best phone ever yet it has the same processor as my LG smartwatch...people are so stupid it's not even funny and we have all the advancements going towards crap that doesn't even matter for people with epeens.

meanwhile I won't have any reason to upgrade anything in my $600 budget gaming pc for another 4 years because of this stupid crap affecting the marketing of the devices I care more about.

Other than NAND flash and more efficient memory I don't care one bit about this until intel/ amd and nvidia start actually making better chips. GPU's should have well over 20 TFLOPS of computational power for $500 by now. They're milking us dry being lazy pushing out the same outdated designs nonstop but phones keep getting faster exponentially. if phones can keep getting faster but don't even need to then why aren't newer better GPU's coming out more often?

then you have the fact that the only thing driving performance on computers is video gaming mainly, mining, and a very small percentage for encoding. software won't even start using our computers properly in the next decade. all that overhead power for basic crap makes coders 5 times lazier.

look what the PS2 did with a 100mhz processor. THAT'S efficiency.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 11:56 AM
Performance is the bible

Rep: 433 (Unique: 299)
This is interesting.

It seems that intel are going to hit a wall now, with not being able to progress as they want in nm, it seems that AMD will start to surpass them in desktop and server, and samsung and arm in mobile.
It seems that unless intel finds a miracle, we are looking at the soon fall of a giant.

post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Defoler View Post
This is interesting.

It seems that intel are going to hit a wall now, with not being able to progress as they want in nm, it seems that AMD will start to surpass them in desktop and server, and samsung and arm in mobile.
It seems that unless intel finds a miracle, we are looking at the soon fall of a giant.
The power of a "giant" Intel, slowly fading...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in