[WCCF] NVIDIA VP & CFO: Turing Is One of Our Largest Architectural Leaps - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[WCCF] NVIDIA VP & CFO: Turing Is One of Our Largest Architectural Leaps

post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 18 (Unique: 12)
[WCCF] NVIDIA VP & CFO: Turing Is One of Our Largest Architectural Leaps

Comments were made during the Citi 2018 Global Technology Conference Call. Details below plus link:

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-cfo-turi...largest-leaps/

Quote:
Kress said that it’s a major leap that people probably weren’t expecting for another ten to fifteen years, clearly referring to the built-in ray-tracing capabilities. She then stated that there’ll likely be a 2x performance improvement without factoring ray-tracing, and 6x with ray-tracing enabled. Overall, she said, the performance improvement is much greater than the overall price of the new cards.

Last edited by CynicalUnicorn; 09-07-2018 at 02:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 11:31 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Probably compared to old reference model that is thermal throttling vs new that is not, with added anti aliasing trickery.
With same AA settings and no thermal throttling it will be same kind of jump as 9 - 10 series, so +30-50%.

Air PC-O11 Dynamic
(9 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX
GPU
Sapphire RX 5700 XT Pulse
RAM
G.Skill 16GB (2 x 8GB) Ripjaws V, F4-3600C16D-16GVK, OC 3800 16-17-16-32 @1.376 V
Hard Drive
Corsair Force MP510 1TB NVMe
Power Supply
Seasonic FOCUS Plus 750 Gold
Cooling
Scythe Fuma 2
Cooling
Noctua NF-F12 PWM chromax.black.swap
Case
Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 11:34 AM
Engineer of Malcontent

Rep: 255 (Unique: 199)
I think she be writing checks Nvidias a$$ cant cash.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 12:11 PM
What should be here ?

Rep: 358 (Unique: 256)
If what she's saying is true, Turing is going to last long in the tooth.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 12:25 PM
Head Dwarf

Rep: 93 (Unique: 57)
Kress holds a B.Sc. degree in Finance from University of Arizona and an MBA from Southern Methodist University. She does have experience working in finance for other tech companies though.

Source.

What follows might explain some of her logic though:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-09-07_15-29-38.png
Views:	85
Size:	300.3 KB
ID:	216580

...playin' the lead roll in a dwerg tossing contest.
Muffler Bearings
(19 items)
CPU
SL Intel® Core™ i9-7900X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage VI Extreme
Motherboard
EVGA X299 DARK
GPU
EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XC
GPU
(2 ea) EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3
RAM
G.SKILL F4-3200C14Q2-64GTZ
Hard Drive
(2ea) Intel Optane 900P (480GB)
Hard Drive
(2ea) Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
Hard Drive
(2ea) Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
Hard Drive
(1ea) Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
(1ea) Samsung 950 Pro 256GB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2
Cooling
Custom water
Case
Custom, 8020x3060 and x2020
Operating System
Win 10 Pro/Ubuntu
Monitor
NEC PA272W-BK-SV
Monitor
Eizo ColorEdge CE240W
Monitor
Alienware AW3418DW
Audio
Bottlehead Mainline Amp
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by iamjanco; 09-07-2018 at 12:31 PM.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 12:29 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote: Originally Posted by LongtimeLurker View Post
Comments were made during the Citi 2018 Global Technology Conference Call. Details below plus link:

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-cfo-turi...largest-leaps/

[/b]

TWICE the performance WITHOUT ray tracing....

Wow. She said TWO TIMES ON EXISTING GAMES:

Is she crazy? Does someone at nVidia need to muzzle her? Or does she know what she's talking about?

Thoughts? Comments?
It's likely based on that stupid "2x" slide that used upscaling to make the 2080 look better vs the 1080 when really in the games they picked there was on average a ~30% increase at best.

This is not a new statement, just another person repeating the same BS marketing claims nvidia has already been making.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 12:36 PM
Waiting for 7nm EUV

Rep: 894 (Unique: 503)
Nvidia's very own Tom Petersen already said in a video podcast that in current games the 2080 Ti will be 35% - 45% faster in current games, so her comments can only be attributed to overzealous marketing.

Some games may perform 2x better when the older card is running with traditional AA and the new one with DLSS. The problem is that DLSS works just SLI in one respect: each game needs a profile. And for now it seems that it has to be Nvidia delivering it. Maybe large game developers with a cluster of Nvidia cards can also develop the deep learning profile to then include in their games without Nvidia's involvement, but make no mistake, this is game dependent and has to be done for each game, and from what I read for current games it takes around a week to deliver said model/profile on their end.

And on that note, OP, please change the title of the thread, because it's not what the original title says. I know you have to shorten it for length reasons, but saying "2x Perf w/o RTX!" is not only not what she said but actually confuses the matter a great deal. Why? Because she said:

Quote:
We will likely see a 2x improvement without even dealing with overall ray-tracing on your existing games in terms of existing performance.

Without "ray tracing" is the key, not without RTX. You see, RTX encompasses both ray tracing and DLSS. In the case of DLSS only the Tensor cores intervene (aside from the work done previously on Nvidia's end).

Last edited by tpi2007; 09-07-2018 at 12:43 PM.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 12:53 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 75 (Unique: 67)
Quote: Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post
Nvidia's very own Tom Petersen already said in a video podcast that in current games the 2080 Ti will be 35% - 45% faster in current games, so her comments can only be attributed to overzealous marketing.

Some games may perform 2x better when the older card is running with traditional AA and the new one with DLSS. The problem is that DLSS works just SLI in one respect: each game needs a profile. And for now it seems that it has to be Nvidia delivering it. Maybe large game developers with a cluster of Nvidia cards can also develop the deep learning profile to then include in their games without Nvidia's involvement, but make no mistake, this is game dependent and has to be done for each game, and from what I read for current games it takes around a week to deliver said model/profile on their end.

And on that note, OP, please change the title of the thread, because it's not what the original title says. I know you have to shorten it for length reasons, but saying "2x Perf w/o RTX!" is not only not what she said but actually confuses the matter a great deal. Why? Because she said:

Without "ray tracing" is the key, not without RTX. You see, RTX encompasses both ray tracing and DLSS. In the case of DLSS only the Tensor cores intervene (aside from the work done previously on Nvidia's end).
The tensor cores are almost as exciting as the RT cores to me.

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 01:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 9)
More damage control from Nvidia.

Its like they keep ignoring the pricing of these cards.

Sure the 2080 vrs 1080 performance is there no doubt. But the problem is with the big price hike now your comparing the 2080 to the 1080ti and things dont look so good in that situation for the 2080.

Its like nvidia forget there selling to gamers who tend to hold there wallet close to there chest. The 1060 was the best selling card of the 10 series for a reason.

As for the 2080ti well its in its own price bracket now. Really it could have had a 10% performance bump over the 1080ti and people will still buy it. There always thoses people who will pay whatever to chase thoses last few frames
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 01:41 PM
Crayon Evangelist

Rep: 469 (Unique: 321)
Predatory sales tactics suck, but when you are that far out in front with performance, you kind of get to write your own check. I would love to see AMD do to Nvidia what they have done to Intel. I am well aware I am going to overpay for a 2080TI when it comes to existing game performance, but I am going to do it anyway, because I want the performance, I want to play with Ray Tracing, and I want to see what these Tensor cores are all about.

That was a long conference call to read through. It does sound like an exciting card to own, even if the price of admission is through the roof.

Quote: Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post
Computex 2018: 'Ladies and Gentleman, people of all chromatic sensibilities and lighting clownery, we are proud to present the aaarrrrgggeeebeeee Circus Maximus!'
Quote: Originally Posted by TFL Replica View Post
I was initially interested in Fallout 76, but my enthusiasm was nuked.
Quote: Originally Posted by rush2049 View Post
If I lob a grenade and die and respawn before it exploded does it still explode?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in