[hardwareluxx.de] Next-generation Geometry for Vega apparently history - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[hardwareluxx.de] Next-generation Geometry for Vega apparently history

post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 216 (Unique: 106)
[hardwareluxx.de] Next-generation Geometry for Vega apparently history

"But the primitive shaders are already history and this seems to be the case for the entire NGG path. AMD has confirmed to some Linux developers that Vega (gfx9) will not get support for NGG anymore - this also applies to the Primitive shaders. The statement referred to the KMD (Kernel-Mode Driver) and the LLVM-Based Pipeline Compiler (LLPC), so the open-source volcano driver from AMD."

https://translate.google.ca/translat...tml&edit-text=

Looks like many of the NGG features relating to geometry have been canceled and these features will be used in Navi and not Vega. We found out earlier that primitive shader would require developer support. This seems like an extension beyond and now support for this features is dropped altogether along with NGG which makes Vega basically Polaris.

I don't know all the features related to this development but according to the editor of bitsandchips, the following is disabled on Vega.

Draw Stream Binning Rasterizer
HBCC
Primitive Shader
NGG
AVFS
HBM2 Pseudo Channel Mode

https://twitter.com/BitsAndChipsEng/...81375224926208
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 03:47 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 339 (Unique: 240)
Mmm, yeah, people have been crying for AMD to implement driver support for these feature of hardware that was sold. Always, is it working? Is it not? AMD doesn't really want to say that they are selling Vega with drivers that don't support most of the advertised "new/advanced/performance" features. Some people hack into it, test it and find out eventually, takes time.
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 03:54 PM
sudo apt install sl

Rep: 177 (Unique: 123)
I read about it last month: https://www.mail-archive.com/amd-gfx.../msg24458.html

Quote:
Hi Jakub。
Both KMD and LLPC are not ready to support NGG for gfx9. We are going to
support NGG in amdvlk for next generation GPU.

Thanks
Jian-Rong JIN
Everything on that list worked from release except for Primitive Shader.

https://techreport.com/news/33153/ra...ed-api-support

Silent
(20 items)
CPU
Core i9 9900K... CoffeeTime! @ 4.2Ghz w/ 1v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Radeon VII @ 1900Mhz/1250Mhz w/ 1v
RAM
TeamGroup Xtreem 16GB 3866Mhz CL15
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector Radeon VII - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Clear Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 216 (Unique: 106)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
Mmm, yeah, people have been crying for AMD to implement driver support for these feature of hardware that was sold. Always, is it working? Is it not? AMD doesn't really want to say that they are selling Vega with drivers that don't support most of the advertised "new/advanced/performance" features. Some people hack into it, test it and find out eventually, takes time.
This goes beyond that. AMD does not even support these features anymore on Vega. The features are broken on Vega and AMD will support it on Navi as indicated in the article.

What this essentially means is free performance boosts from games that come from the use of these features won't be supported by Vega even after developers support it.

It's for Navi and up, which means all these features are vaporware on Vega. NGG also has another feature called fastpath that was supposed to dramatically improve performance with geometry.

Last edited by tajoh111; 09-17-2018 at 04:11 PM.
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 05:21 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 74 (Unique: 58)
Interesting, thanks for link.

CPU: Intel i7 5775C 4.3 Ghz 1.376V. GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX OC 11 GB: 2101 mhz core/6100 Memory 1.09V SSD: HyperX Savage 480GB SATA3. PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000. Monitor: Acer XB271HU. CASE: Phanteks Evolv ATX Tempered Glass Black. Water Loop: EK Water Blocks EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM; EK Water Blocks EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Strix Backplate - Black; EK Water Blocks EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Strix - Acetal+Nickel; EK Water Blocks EK-Supremacy EVO - Acetal+Nickel; All adapers and fittings: EK brand Radiators: 2x Black Ice Nemesis GTS 360 - Black; Fans: 9x 120 mm Corsair ML120 Pro Premium
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 05:28 PM
PC Evangelist

Rep: 1794 (Unique: 1173)
Vega without these features might as well be Fiji. Cant blame AMD. Most Vegas sold to miners and support Vega 56/64 now is pointless.

Yamato
(10 items)
Ishimura
(13 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard
ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
GPU
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FE
RAM
G.SKILL Trident Z RGB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL14
Hard Drive
Samsung SM961 512GB
Hard Drive
HGST DeskStar NAS 6TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2
Cooling
Gamdias Chione M1A-280R
Case
Fractal Design Meshify C TG
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
CPU
Intel Core i7-3770K @ 4.8GHz
Motherboard
ASRock Z77E-ITX
GPU
AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition
RAM
AVEXIR Blitz 1.1 16GB DDR3-2400MHz CL10
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB
Hard Drive
Toshiba X300 5TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
Cooling
Corsair H100i GTX
Case
Fractal Design Define Nano S
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
Monitor
LG OLED55C7P
Keyboard
Cooler Master MasterKeys MK750
Mouse
Finalmouse Air58 Ninja
▲ hide details ▲

post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 05:33 PM
Some Guy

Rep: 46 (Unique: 42)
My guess is that something went wrong on the hardware level for Vega and now they plan on giving it another try after polishing it and calling it "secret sauce" for consoles.

This time around they need to make sure that the drivers actually are ready before showing their best-case numbers.
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 05:34 PM
Null

Rep: 159 (Unique: 129)
Quote: Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
I read about it last month: https://www.mail-archive.com/amd-gfx.../msg24458.html

Everything on that list worked from release except for Primitive Shader.

https://techreport.com/news/33153/ra...ed-api-support
I think he means on Linux. Which is fine since most pro visualization seems to be done in Windows programs, perhaps outside of a handful of custom solutions. HBCC and tiled rendering (including DSBR) have been working since launch as indicated by the massive performance uplift in pro visualization benchmarks vs Fiji

post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 06:35 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 110 (Unique: 65)
Quote: Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post
Vega without these features might as well be Fiji. Cant blame AMD. Most Vegas sold to miners and support Vega 56/64 now is pointless.
One of the Reason Raja left AMD? I rmb it was mentioned too much time and resources was dedicated to Sony such that there was no time for any driver support for Vega.

post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 07:55 PM
Null

Rep: 159 (Unique: 129)
Quote: Originally Posted by guttheslayer View Post
One of the Reason Raja left AMD? I rmb it was mentioned too much time and resources was dedicated to Sony such that there was no time for any driver support for Vega.
The rumor didn't mention what part of RTG was dedicated to Navi/console GPUs, but it did say something like 2/3 of RTG was focused on consoles. After that interview Lisa gave on Mad Money saying they're hard at work on consoles I guess the rumors probably had some truth to them. I don't doubt they're putting a lot of manpower on consoles considering it's proven to be a very stable and safe source of profit. IIRC the PS4 and Xbox 1 had 11% margins very early on but hit 15% quickly and some AMD exec was saying he was hoping it would hit over 20%

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in