[HP] Omen X Emperium 65" HDR G-Sync 144 Hz Gaming Monitor - Page 5 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[HP] Omen X Emperium 65" HDR G-Sync 144 Hz Gaming Monitor

post #41 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 12:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 8)
Quote: Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Me too, but I would happily pay $5000 for a 4K120 G-sync OLED monitor.

However, competing with LG's C9 at that price would mean volume would be too low to bother making it.

BTW, Nvidia does not support any HDMI VRR at the moment. I very much hope this will change in the future but no guarente.
so far I think the best bet we have for a 55 inch oled monitor with hdmi 2.1 and dp 1.4 is the dell alienware monitor I notice most displays I have gamed on I really have no need for gsync/freesync as long its on a high refresh rate panel and getting 60+ fps
Dell confirms that the monitor will be equipped with DisplayPort 1.4 as well as HDMI 2.1 that allows it to accept video inputs of up to 4K resolutions at 120 Hz. It also supports variable refresh rate (VRR) but it is not clear if it will support FreeSync, too Dell expects to launch the 55-inch Alienware OLED monitor in the second half of the year. The company did not comment on pricing but it will have to be competitive if Dell wants to compete with TV manufacturers.

Last edited by animeowns; 05-16-2019 at 01:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 03:00 AM
Robotic Chemist

Rep: 192 (Unique: 129)
Quote: Originally Posted by animeowns View Post
so far I think the best bet we have for a 55 inch oled monitor with hdmi 2.1 and dp 1.4 is the dell alienware monitor I notice most displays I have gamed on I really have no need for gsync/freesync as long its on a high refresh rate panel and getting 60+ fps
That will probably be very nice, and DP 1.4 is very attractive. I hope it will also have the Portrait Displays calibration the 2019 LG OLEDs have. The builtin pattern generator and full DCC control was amazing. After calibration I have a true BT.709 with colorchecker dE all below 1, with max grayscale error at 0.5. I have never had such perfect gamma and color accuracy.

The C9 is already a very nice display after full calibration and I was too impatient to wait for Dell. After their first 30" 120Hz OLED that never happened I also don't trust their timelines very much. It will probably be very expensive too and without G-sync I wouldn't be willing to pay too much more than the C9. A high end GPU with full HDMI 2.1 is probably not too far away but I will miss that DP 1.4.

I agree that the refresh rate is more important than the VRR, or at least that with 120Hz VRR is less important. However, VRR is still a big plus.
post #43 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 04:31 AM
New to Overclock.net

That will probably be very nice, and DP 1.4 is very attractive. I hope it will also have the Portrait Displays calibration the 2019 LG OLEDs have. The builtin pattern generator and full DCC control was amazing. After calibration I have a true BT.709 with colorchecker dE all below 1, with max grayscale error at 0.5. I have never had such perfect gamma and color accuracy.

The C9 is already a very nice display after full calibration and I was too impatient to wait for Dell. After their first 30" 120Hz OLED that never happened I also don't trust their timelines very much. It will probably be very expensive too and without G-sync I wouldn't be willing to pay too much more than the C9. A high end GPU with full HDMI 2.1 is probably not too far away but I will miss that DP 1.4.

I agree that the refresh rate is more important than the VRR, or at least that with 120Hz VRR is less important. However, VRR is still a big plus.
I am trying to be patient to see what other panels are coming out but I think my absolute limit will be august on waiting for this alienware 55 inch oled. If its not released by then I will just pick up a C9 55 inch for my birthday
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 09:21 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 340 (Unique: 241)
This is not true. The module does the frame duplication if the frame rate drops below the min refresh rate so the GPU driver doesn't have to know the specifics of that monitor. It also communicates back to the GPU when it does this so the GPU can wait for it to finish. This prevents issues like flickering or tearing if the driver stalls and similar.

I am hopeful HDMI 2.1 VRR will be great, and I own a C9 in part because of it, but saying the G-sync module does nothing extra is a lie.
GPU can perform LFC just fine without Gsync module in monitor. All the specifics that NV GPU needs to know is minimum "Range limit - V rate" if you want to alter it via CRU. At max refresh/2 it will start to LFC to as low at it can, <20fps really.
Haven't had any flickering or tearing. Driver stalls... you've got bigger driver issues then and some supposed frame buffering with smoothing retiming in Gsync module adding delays to frames isn't gonna save you.

With a Gsync module monitor I've actually had more issues than with those without one. Granted some of this may be due to NV GPU driver but one would definitely hope that for the extra cost of a Gsync module equipped monitor it would perform better and offer more features but it does neither! More issues, less features... for more money.

---

Lets face it this Dell is just a rebranded LG panel same as all other 55", 65" etc. OLED panel based products. There sure is space for improvement and offering better electronics with this panel as always. The stand Dell chose... not a fan, it's gonna wobble. Big screens need two legs not one central leg.

If Dell wants to go all in, they should offer DP 1.4 or 2.0, HDMI2.1, VRR on both 120Hz minimum, strobing in VRR even if it may be quite dim and people are gonna complain oh no it's dim I would still take that over no strobing whether it's per pixel, per line or per frame strobing.

Why bother with proprietary software and tools to calibrate LG TVs, I thought it's automated but no it's more of a cooperation with calibration software/hardware company. I would rather use open source software that can access the in TV/monitor HW LUT and any off the shelf calibration device to use with it. With LG it seems you need to buy the software and what not that has access to the in TV LUT, who knows if it works with open source yet or other paid tools that you get with calibration devices.

HW LUT that can be calibrated is great, but it has to be accessible without paying $1000+ etc. to do so.
post #45 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 05:34 PM
Robotic Chemist

Rep: 192 (Unique: 129)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
With a Gsync module monitor I've actually had more issues than with those without one.
Any examples? My experiance with G-sync has been flawless after the early updates.

Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
Why bother with proprietary software and tools to calibrate LG TVs, I thought it's automated but no it's more of a cooperation with calibration software/hardware company.
You need a meter of some kind, of course, unless you expected the TV to come with it? CalMAN supports almost any meter you want too, no need to buy one from them. LG is also using a standard DCC interface so any software can support it if they want to, it is not a restrictive solution. Portrait Displays has built specific workflows and support for the TV and its pattern generator but it is not proprietary by design. Did you expect to just plug any meter into the TV or something? I am confused what you are complaining about here.

I suppose LG could have provided simple calibration software with the display, like some other high end professional monitors do. CalMAN is so much better than those are, and as someone who already owned CalMAN 2019 I was pretty happy with this solution, but I do see your point.

Last edited by Asmodian; 05-16-2019 at 05:38 PM.
post #46 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 02:03 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by CallsignVega View Post
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M888GH8

GOGO hurry almost out of pre-order slots! They are going fast!
they are no longer listed on amazon they must know that the 2019 tv's with hdmi 2.1 will kick the a** of these va panels lol
post #47 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 08:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

HP OMEN X Emperium 64.5 $3999 @ Microcenter

HP OMEN X Emperium 64.5 is currently $3999 over at microcenter that's an awesome discount too bad this panel is a year too late.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/...ng_LED_Monitor
post #48 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 07:13 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by animeowns View Post
HP OMEN X Emperium 64.5 is currently $3999 over at microcenter that's an awesome discount too bad this panel is a year too late.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/...ng_LED_Monitor
I just picked up this monitor about 3 weeks ago. It is awesome but I am experiencing some ghosting although not really noticeable too much in the game however I thought the refresh rate of this TV with a eliminate any type of ghosting but apparently not. I even tried switching the DisplayPort cable. I'm trying to figure out if this is normal in bfgd displays.
post #49 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 07:24 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 110 (Unique: 65)
Quote: Originally Posted by nycgtr View Post
How hard is it to go 32 to 34 COME ON!
That is the problem with screen maker mindset. They either go too big (65) or too small (27). Something is wrong with their head.

The only way to make them listen is to boycott their display for the rubbish size they are offering for 4k.

30-32" would have been perfect.

post #50 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 07:50 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 340 (Unique: 241)
Monitor makers do not drive panel production anymore, those two have separated a while ago. Even most TV makers fall into the same "customer" category. They buy what panel they can get, slap into a plastic shell and sell it in retail. That's it folks.
They don't go and ask panel maker to make them a 32" or 40" or 45" OLED, LCD, anything really, they would have to pay for that and take a risk in it selling well. For monitors the market for 30-45" may not be as big, but then how could be when there are barely any monitors/panels made in that size. So they rather stick with the most popular 24 and 27" that they know will sell. If they want to make something big, they grab a TV panel and make a TV or try sell it as a "monitor".

27-30" is quite ideal for gaming at regular FOVs and 1440p. With over 30" you gotta start cranking that FOV up and hope for 2160p, or sit more far which defeats the whole purpose of a large screen.

Small TVs 30-50" are often some crappy panels, undesirable for a monitor.
Beyond 32" monitor panels are rare.

And a huge bulk of screens is in 5-20" for mobile, with OLED, high PPI, high refresh, almost have it all, refusing to use that tech (and the nice tech from modern TV panels) to make good monitor sized panels.

With these crazy prices it really doesn't make sense for anyone to risk making a great monitor panel in 30-45". We are barely getting into the 31.5" era for monitor panels, but still LCD.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in