[CES] nVidia RTX 2060/A-Sync compatible monitors and other news - Page 16 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[CES] nVidia RTX 2060/A-Sync compatible monitors and other news

 
Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2019, 10:53 AM
Overclocker
JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about
 
JackCY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 8,550
Quote: Originally Posted by nolive721 View Post
installed drivers, GSYNC and Monitor technology not showing in NVCP since displays must have a DP port to get that VRR activated and mines have only HDMI.....
Nvidia doesn't support HDMI for VRR, simple as that, doesn't matter if you have adaptive sync monitor with or without Gsync board. Not sure about the $2k+ 4k monitors with newer Gsync board but the old ones only run HDMI 60Hz no sync LOL, they won't even do 144Hz with HDMI. You always need DP with Nvidia GPU to get VRR...
JackCY is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-15-2019, 01:01 PM
mfw
ToTheSun! has a spectacular aura about ToTheSun! has a spectacular aura about ToTheSun! has a spectacular aura about ToTheSun! has a spectacular aura about ToTheSun! has a spectacular aura about ToTheSun! has a spectacular aura about ToTheSun! has a spectacular aura about ToTheSun! has a spectacular aura about ToTheSun! has a spectacular aura about ToTheSun! has a spectacular aura about ToTheSun! has a spectacular aura about
 
ToTheSun!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Terra
Posts: 5,941
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
it does work proper, even better than Gsync on 32GK850G, in the end.
How so?

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Cooler Master Quickfire TK
Mouse
Corepadded Logitech G703
Mousepad
Cooler Master MP510
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (B pads)
▲ hide details ▲
ToTheSun! is offline  
Old 01-16-2019, 02:04 PM
Overclocker
JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about
 
JackCY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 8,550
Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
How so?
I can seek videos and not get stuck in <10Hz as the LG 32GK850G would do :/ It would literally go into 1-2Hz even. Q3279VWFD8 stays at 75Hz when video seeking. *shrug* VRR is nice but I don't like how it's implemented so far, there are issues, same issues and unresolved quirks no matter what GPU and monitor combination one has, mostly these issues are caused by GPU driver. I've tried to setup Gsync to work only with selected applications and be disabled otherwise but that didn't want to work with NV's driver and the LG either... Plus there were situations when adaptive sync was visibly disabled yet it was reported by driver as enabled, NV's GUI would say one thing about the enable/disable state and monitor OSD would say the opposite, it was not a smooth issue free "it just works if you pay the premium" experience.

Now the Q3279VWFD8 has quirks too, again mostly due to how immature the NV's driver is. Monitor itself is fine and when the GPU syncs up with monitor it all "just works". But it won't sync up correctly on system start, monitor wake from sleep.

And overall it seems from my experience the whole VRR still has some way to go before it will be issue free on drivers and applications side, make the necessary adjustments available so that user can select when to use what mode, what to do when under and over VRR range, etc. right now it's all automated by driver and it's not even 100% consistent in behavior. Many modern games run windowed fullscreen not exclusive fullscreen as well, all these modes of operation make another thing to deal with for VRR.

Overdrive works, range of no tearing and no stutter is 1-74fps with Q3279VWFD8 with NV GPU and adaptive sync active. The only blink that may happen is around 0fps but that happens on ALL adaptive sync monitors no matter what board, brand, ...
Monitor itself is advertised 48-76Hz VRR range. But I can set it to 36-76Hz and it runs double refresh rate etc. under 38fps, which is basically LFC isn't it.
To me this is probably not useful, still testing, having 73fps limiter in a game... it looks OK and it's fine for leisure games but not sure how it will impact me in competitive games and how each game will handle being FPS limited some way.

For issue free experience, nosync is always the way to go... unfortunately.
JackCY is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-16-2019, 03:50 PM
mfw
ToTheSun! has a spectacular aura about ToTheSun! has a spectacular aura about ToTheSun! has a spectacular aura about ToTheSun! has a spectacular aura about ToTheSun! has a spectacular aura about ToTheSun! has a spectacular aura about ToTheSun! has a spectacular aura about ToTheSun! has a spectacular aura about ToTheSun! has a spectacular aura about ToTheSun! has a spectacular aura about ToTheSun! has a spectacular aura about
 
ToTheSun!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Terra
Posts: 5,941
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
I can seek videos and not get stuck in <10Hz as the LG 32GK850G would do :/ It would literally go into 1-2Hz even. Q3279VWFD8 stays at 75Hz when video seeking. *shrug* VRR is nice but I don't like how it's implemented so far, there are issues, same issues and unresolved quirks no matter what GPU and monitor combination one has, mostly these issues are caused by GPU driver. I've tried to setup Gsync to work only with selected applications and be disabled otherwise but that didn't want to work with NV's driver and the LG either... Plus there were situations when adaptive sync was visibly disabled yet it was reported by driver as enabled, NV's GUI would say one thing about the enable/disable state and monitor OSD would say the opposite, it was not a smooth issue free "it just works if you pay the premium" experience.

Now the Q3279VWFD8 has quirks too, again mostly due to how immature the NV's driver is. Monitor itself is fine and when the GPU syncs up with monitor it all "just works". But it won't sync up correctly on system start, monitor wake from sleep.

And overall it seems from my experience the whole VRR still has some way to go before it will be issue free on drivers and applications side, make the necessary adjustments available so that user can select when to use what mode, what to do when under and over VRR range, etc. right now it's all automated by driver and it's not even 100% consistent in behavior. Many modern games run windowed fullscreen not exclusive fullscreen as well, all these modes of operation make another thing to deal with for VRR.

Overdrive works, range of no tearing and no stutter is 1-74fps with Q3279VWFD8 with NV GPU and adaptive sync active. The only blink that may happen is around 0fps but that happens on ALL adaptive sync monitors no matter what board, brand, ...
Monitor itself is advertised 48-76Hz VRR range. But I can set it to 36-76Hz and it runs double refresh rate etc. under 38fps, which is basically LFC isn't it.
To me this is probably not useful, still testing, having 73fps limiter in a game... it looks OK and it's fine for leisure games but not sure how it will impact me in competitive games and how each game will handle being FPS limited some way.

For issue free experience, nosync is always the way to go... unfortunately.
Well, looks like you've been having bad luck with VRR. I have nothing but good things to say about my experience with the XG2703-GS. It's a rare case of when everything "just works."

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Cooler Master Quickfire TK
Mouse
Corepadded Logitech G703
Mousepad
Cooler Master MP510
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (B pads)
▲ hide details ▲
ToTheSun! is offline  
Old 01-16-2019, 05:50 PM
Overclocker
JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about
 
JackCY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 8,550
I'm used to no sync so I find the occasional blink on 0fps loading screen or getting stuck at low refresh during video seeking or not being able to enable adaptive sync only for selected 3D applications and keep it disabled otherwise, having forced Vsync (no matter what I set via NVCP override) in a windowed fullscreen game when VRR is active, ... fairly easy to notice. It looks well when it works and resolves the stutter and lag that Vsync and even Fastsync suffer from, tearing that no sync has. Maybe one day they will iron out the issues. Till then either no sync or adaptive sync + fast/enhanced sync when it does work well.
JackCY is offline  
Old 01-21-2019, 07:10 PM
French loving Japan!
nolive721 Level 1
 
nolive721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: yokohama
Posts: 473
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
Nvidia doesn't support HDMI for VRR, simple as that, doesn't matter if you have adaptive sync monitor with or without Gsync board. Not sure about the $2k+ 4k monitors with newer Gsync board but the old ones only run HDMI 60Hz no sync LOL, they won't even do 144Hz with HDMI. You always need DP with Nvidia GPU to get VRR...
if NVIDIA could bring VRR through HDMI, it would just kill AMD key value proposition with their GPUs 5XX and VEGAs
People who are on triples 1080p like me, without DP ports available, and running with a GTX1080/1080Ti could still consider make the move to VEGA2 as we speak today, if the tests and benchmarks coming next month confirm the potential of that card.

With owners on low tier GPUs (1050Ti,1060s), that would take them away of looking at AMD 590s models

so to me, there is a business case for NVIDIA to put some R&D money here and implement this feature over HDMI in the drivers as they started 2 weeks ago

PC GAMING AEROCOOL P7 C1 WHITE VERSION CPU RYZEN 5 [email protected] 4Ghz/1.45V CPU cooler ID COOLING FROSTFLOW+ SNOW EDITION MB ASROCK B350 PRO4 GPU EVGA 1080TI FTW3 HYBRID 2088Mhz core RAM CORSAIR LPX 16Gb @ 3066Mhz WINDOWS 10 PRO NVME PATRIOT BOOT DRIVE

Last edited by nolive721; 01-21-2019 at 07:21 PM.
nolive721 is offline  
Old 01-22-2019, 06:43 AM
New to Overclock.net
PlugSeven Level 1
 
PlugSeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 427
Quote: Originally Posted by nolive721 View Post
if NVIDIA could bring VRR through HDMI, it would just kill AMD key value proposition with their GPUs 5XX and VEGAs
People who are on triples 1080p like me, without DP ports available, and running with a GTX1080/1080Ti could still consider make the move to VEGA2 as we speak today, if the tests and benchmarks coming next month confirm the potential of that card.

With owners on low tier GPUs (1050Ti,1060s), that would take them away of looking at AMD 590s models

so to me, there is a business case for NVIDIA to put some R&D money here and implement this feature over HDMI in the drivers as they started 2 weeks ago
I think you overestimate the desire for VRR. What surprised the most with nvidia moving to support adaptive sync was just the sheer number of ppl who were running a geforce gpu and a freesync monitor(going by forums and youtube vids). Now, if VRR was all that, don't you think these ppl would would have coughed up the extra couple of hundred and got a gsync monitor instead? It's not like we upgrade our monitors every cycle like we do gpus.
An Rx470 is a whole resolution faster than a 1050ti for the same money, 1060 vs 590 or even the 580 is no longer a contest perfomance wise. Some of us see this, so nvdia supporting VRR over hdmi(which they will do with hdmi 2.1) is not going to "kill AMD' s value proposition".
PlugSeven is offline  
Old 01-22-2019, 06:53 AM
Sunday League Jibber
SuperZan has a spectacular aura about SuperZan has a spectacular aura about SuperZan has a spectacular aura about SuperZan has a spectacular aura about SuperZan has a spectacular aura about SuperZan has a spectacular aura about SuperZan has a spectacular aura about SuperZan has a spectacular aura about SuperZan has a spectacular aura about SuperZan has a spectacular aura about SuperZan has a spectacular aura about
 
SuperZan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Latveria
Posts: 4,243
Quote: Originally Posted by PlugSeven View Post
I think you overestimate the desire for VRR. What surprised the most with nvidia moving to support adaptive sync was just the sheer number of ppl who were running a geforce gpu and a freesync monitor(going by forums and youtube vids). Now, if VRR was all that, don't you think these ppl would would have coughed up the extra couple of hundred and got a gsync monitor instead? It's not like we upgrade our monitors every cycle like we do gpus.
An Rx470 is a whole resolution faster than a 1050ti for the same money, 1060 vs 590 or even the 580 is no longer a contest perfomance wise. Some of us see this, so nvdia supporting VRR over hdmi(which they will do with hdmi 2.1) is not going to "kill AMD' s value proposition".

I like adaptive sync, but not at a $200-300 premium. Speaking only for myself, though I imagine I'm not alone, I kept my Freesync display when I got my 1080 Ti in hopes of either a competitive Radeon product or Nvidia's acquiescence on VESA Adaptive Sync, whichever came first. It's sad that the latter won out, but sales speak for themselves and Freesync monitors seem to sell very well.

Farewel happy Fields; Where Joy for ever dwells; Hail horrours, hail; Infernal world, and thou profoundest Hell; Receive thy new Possessor; One who brings; A mind not to be chang'd by Place or Time; The mind is its own place, and in it self; Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n.
SuperZan's Doombot
(14 items)
SuperZan's YT-1300
(14 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard
ASRock X370 Taichi
GPU
Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Leather Jacket Edition 11GB
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) @ 3200 14-14-14-34 1T
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD (Windows)
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra II 480GB SSD (Games)
Hard Drive
Seagate 2TB SSHD (Storage)
Hard Drive
Intel 530 Series 480GB SSD (Linux)
Optical Drive
LG DVD RW
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova G2 850w
Cooling
EK-Supremacy MX CPU Block
Cooling
EK-XRES 100 + DDC Pump
Cooling
XSPC Razor (1080 Ti) GPU Block
Cooling
EK-CoolStream PE 360 Rad
Cooling
XSPC EX280 Rad
Case
Corsair 760T
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Pixio PX277 27" 1440p 144Hz DP-Adaptive Sync w/ LFC
Keyboard
JAR-OWL J1 Rainbow LED Mechanical
Mouse
Zowie FK1
Mousepad
Razor Firefly
Audio
Plantronics Rig 500e Gaming Headset
Audio
Marantz Pro MPH-1 Monitoring Headphones
Audio
S.M.S.L SD-793II Audio DAC + Headphone Amplifier
Other
Xbox One Controller
Other
Wacom Intuous S Drawing Pad (CTL4100)
CPU
AMD Ryzen R3 1200
Motherboard
ASRock AB350m Pro4
GPU
PowerColor PCS+ R9 380x 4GB
RAM
Samsung 8 GB (2x4GB) @ 2400
Hard Drive
Biostar M200-240 240GB m.2 SATA SSD (Solus)
Hard Drive
Kingston V200 128GB SSD (Windows)
Hard Drive
WD Blue 250GB HDD
Power Supply
Seasonic S12II 430 Bronze 430w
Cooling
AMD Prism RGB Cooler
Case
DIYPC Cuboid-G Black/Green
Operating System
Solus Budgie
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Keyboard
LYILIN 2.4GHz Mini Wireless & Bluetooth Keyboard with Touchpad Mouse
Other
Steam Controller
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.6GHz
Motherboard
Asrock Z97 Extreme6
GPU
EVGA GTX 1070 SC
RAM
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) @ 2133 10-10-10-28 1T
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Optical Drive
LG DVD RW
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650w
Cooling
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Case
Corsair Carbide 300R
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
40" Vizio HDTV
Keyboard
HP Generic
Mouse
Logitech Generic
Audio
HyperX Cloud
▲ hide details ▲


SuperZan is offline  
Old 01-22-2019, 07:17 AM
Retired but not dead!
mcg75 is on a distinguished road mcg75 is on a distinguished road mcg75 is on a distinguished road mcg75 is on a distinguished road
 
mcg75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 7,438
mcg75 is offline  
Old 01-22-2019, 10:09 AM
Overclocker
JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about
 
JackCY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 8,550
Quote: Originally Posted by PlugSeven View Post
I think you overestimate the desire for VRR. What surprised the most with nvidia moving to support adaptive sync was just the sheer number of ppl who were running a geforce gpu and a freesync monitor(going by forums and youtube vids). Now, if VRR was all that, don't you think these ppl would would have coughed up the extra couple of hundred and got a gsync monitor instead? It's not like we upgrade our monitors every cycle like we do gpus.
An Rx470 is a whole resolution faster than a 1050ti for the same money, 1060 vs 590 or even the 580 is no longer a contest perfomance wise. Some of us see this, so nvdia supporting VRR over hdmi(which they will do with hdmi 2.1) is not going to "kill AMD' s value proposition".
The Vega7 should be ignored, it's a pro card that the now fired RTG boss was pushing to be made as a consumer card, it's a great card but not when they neutered it's features compared to the pro card, it costs a lot to make it and they may not even be making any profit on it.
Wait for Navi in summer, that's the change we are waiting for from AMD since Polaris was announced years ago along with their plan all the way to Navi. This time the higher performance Navi should not be canceled as higher performance Polaris was in favor of Vega which was actually worse value wise.

HDMI2.1 I think has VRR as mandatory feature, as such Nvidia doesn't have a choice but to implement VRR on HDMI2.1, hence in advance they released VRR support over DP1.2, DP1.2 and even 1.4 I think has VRR as an optional feature which was a stupid move by VESA to make it optional.

Quote: Originally Posted by mcg75 View Post
Rtings has been testing all the monitors they have with the new drivers.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tests...ync-compatible
Samsung CF791 as far as I remember was having issues even with AMD GPUs, the monitor itself had issues with VRR.
And again apart from 2 other Samsungs everything that has VRR an DP is working according to them. Well it may or may not, it's not as simple it activates, but how reliably it activates, in what modes, do you need to use workarounds by off/on the monitor for example, or even have to run certain output from the monitor when doing the off/on, how does it behave below VRR range, above VRR range, does it get stuck at low refresh when seeking videos (Gsync does that ), how far can you extend the VRR range via CRU and can you get LFC to activate, and so on... OD, frame duplication, sync working proper, ...
JackCY is offline  
 

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off