[Various][VideoCardz]GeForce RTX 2060 review roundup - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Various][VideoCardz]GeForce RTX 2060 review roundup

post #21 of 209 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 03:57 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 72 (Unique: 56)
Quote: Originally Posted by The Robot View Post
Overwatch, really? How much fps do you need there, 900?
While OW is pretty easy to run, its not like cs:go lol. I have a 165hz 1440p monitor and i could use an upgrade, my 1060 sits at around 130-145 fps most times on the medium preset.

Edit: Its not just OW either games like destiny 2/eso/ffxiv/wow/gta 5/fortnite basically all the popular games tend to run better on nvidia hardware, ive noticed this trend going back quite some time now.

Gaming pc
(9 items)
HTPC
(8 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7 8700k
Motherboard
Rog Strix z370-F
GPU
Nvidia Founders Edition RTX 2060
RAM
Gskill Trident-z RGB 3000
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 evo 1tb
Power Supply
EVGA 750 G3
Cooling
NZXT Kraken x62
Case
NZXT S340 elite
Monitor
Dell S2417DG
CPU
AMD Athlon 5350
Motherboard
Asrock AM1B-ITX
RAM
4GB crucial 1600mhz
Hard Drive
OCZ Agility 3 60gb
Case
Linkworld 920-01
Monitor
Vizio Smartcast E55
Keyboard
Logitech K400
Audio
Vizio 3.1 Soundbar
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Scotty99; 01-07-2019 at 04:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 209 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 04:52 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 339 (Unique: 240)
Quote: Originally Posted by Burke888 View Post
Did anyone notice how some of the mainstream YouTube channels didnt even include any AMD cards for comparison?

At what point do the YouTube "reviews" become more advertising rather than a true review?
There's a lot of hobbyists who get their information from these channels. I think it's disingenuous to not even include competitors in a review.

In my opinion a large part of Nvidia's sucess has been their handiling of social media influencers. And based on this latest release it's not going to change.
This is fairly normal behavior on manufacturer sponsored reviews, they will only include what the sample provider suggest them to. They are too scared to lose samples, will sign any NDA with what ever ridiculous requirements as otherwise they would have to learn to source hardware from retail with their money.
Then there is the issue of AMD not really having that big of a market share and that is not just overall among users but also among "reviewers"/advertisers.
Or they simply don't care to compare to a power hungry old competing product.

More respectable reviewers will include a whole range of hardware.

From specs alone it's easy to see where the card will be.

Buying any of these 12nm RTX GPUs is not worth it IMHO as an upgrade and people are better off waiting for 7nm and new architectures. Even for new purchase it offers barely anything over previous generation at all.

Nvidia has always invested crap ton of money to have control over "reviewers"/news/advertisers and also game developers to optimize their game engines for GeForce cards. Same thing is going on with Intel for ages. Except that with Intel even reviewers are getting fed up after decade of no progress, raising prices, awful availability, ignoring known security issues for over 2 decades, ... You got the money, you can buy many of these "reviewers"/advertisers/news and also send developers to companies that create software which uses your hardware. On top of that create lock down proprietary features and APIs to lock everyone down to your ecosystem, bye bye competition. These giant corporations should have been broken down long ago but no they are constantly allowed to buy any potential small competitor instead.
post #23 of 209 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 06:31 PM
Z-80 > i9

Rep: 568 (Unique: 398)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
This is fairly normal behavior on manufacturer sponsored reviews, they will only include what the sample provider suggest them to. They are too scared to lose samples, will sign any NDA with what ever ridiculous requirements as otherwise they would have to learn to source hardware from retail with their money.
They kind of need to start realising that at least a portion of the market is sick of them for exactly that reason though. There's a massive gap in the market for a reviewer that does things properly...I know I'd wait even a month post-launch (even if I was in the market and had the cash ready to buy) if I knew that I'd get an extensive review of a retail boxed product (That was actually bought as though they were a customer) compared to other things on the market mainly from a "bang for buck" perspective especially with how often a "post launch review" (Or video/article/whatever) comes out pointing out something that the reviewers all missed anyway.

That's also why I think GamersNexus and AdoredTV have such a following, because they tend to look in depth at this stuff.

Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
Buying any of these 12nm RTX GPUs is not worth it IMHO as an upgrade and people are better off waiting for 7nm and new architectures. Even for new purchase it offers barely anything over previous generation at all.

Nvidia has always invested crap ton of money to have control over "reviewers"/news/advertisers and also game developers to optimize their game engines for GeForce cards. Same thing is going on with Intel for ages. Except that with Intel even reviewers are getting fed up after decade of no progress, raising prices, awful availability, ignoring known security issues for over 2 decades, ... You got the money, you can buy many of these "reviewers"/advertisers/news and also send developers to companies that create software which uses your hardware. On top of that create lock down proprietary features and APIs to lock everyone down to your ecosystem, bye bye competition. These giant corporations should have been broken down long ago but no they are constantly allowed to buy any potential small competitor instead.
Agreed. I think the RTX series is a wholesale ripoff, honestly. RTX is cool but not worth a AU$800 price increase over their previous Ti model with that kind of performance gain. But they can get away with it because they've had great PR.

It's not just the PR though, Intel has nearly always done this kind of shady crap...Remember when they were using bundles and the like to get OEMs to buy the P4 over the A64? They did the same thing way back into the 80s which is why UMC, Opti or VLSI disappeared from the chipset business despite having great products for the 386 and 486 and Intel's chipset division being mediocre at best around then. It's one of the many reasons why I'm going to go out of my way to make sure that this 3770k is the last Intel chip I run in my main desktop regardless of performance and the like. Good performance only counts for so much of a good experience with a product and the artificial limitations Intel imposes on their chips (eg. Some of the locked out features and the incompatible CPU sockets) really made the 3770k feel a lot..well, worse than it could have been for me.

It's like Hulk Hogan and the world of wrestling in my opinion, sure, he's done a load of good for it and the world wouldn't be the same if that hadn't happened but that's more than balanced by the bad stuff and negative effects those have on the industry as a whole over the years. (Note that I'm not including nVidia in that...They're shadier than AMD but not anywhere as bad as Intel is.)

CPU
Intel Core i5 3770k @ 4.6Ghz
Motherboard
ASRock Z77 Pro3
GPU
AMD Radeon R9 Nano (1050/550)
RAM
4x4GB G.Skill Ares 2200Mhz CL11
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 250GB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Black 1TB WD1002FAEX
Hard Drive
Samsung Spinpoint EcoGreen 2TB
Hard Drive
Toshiba P300 2TB
Optical Drive
Pioneer DVR-220LBKS
Power Supply
eVGA Supernova P2 650w
Cooling
Noctua NH-D14
Case
Lian Li Lancool PC-K60
Operating System
Arch Linux x86-64
Operating System
Windows 10 Bloatfree Edition
Monitor
LG 29WK500-P (2560x1080, 75Hz, Freesync)
Monitor
BenQ G2020HD
Keyboard
Ducky Shine III Year of the Snake, Cherry Blue
Mouse
SteelSeries Sensei Professional
Mouse
Artisan Hien Mid Japan Black Large
Audio
ASUS Xonar DX
Audio
Samson Rubicon R6a
Other
NZXT Sentry Mesh 30w Fan Controller
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 209 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 07:00 PM
Professional Proletariat

Rep: 478 (Unique: 192)
Quote: Originally Posted by Scotty99 View Post
Does anyone have a list of all the models releasing on the 15th?

Its still a decent card for the money, i mean what else are you going to buy for 350 bucks that can match this? Sure ideally a 250-280 dollar gtx 1160 without ray tracing would have been nice, but maybe the tensor cores become truly useful down the road.
Used GTX 1080

Quote: Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post
Completely forgot about 980 Ti. Yes, this is more of 980 Ti eq since both have 6GB of vRAM.
Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
Considering I paid $400 for my 980ti more than 2 years ago, this card is hardly a decent successor.

Though, to be fair, no single RTX card is good value if we relativize their performance against time, price, and competition.
I think this just goes to show how far ahead of its time GM200 was, and how little progress we've made in the price/perf department. Dunno about you guys but I'd be damn pissed if I waited 3.5 years just to get 980 Ti performance for 50% the price.

- 4930K @ 4.5 GHz | Asus X79-Deluxe
- MSi 980 Ti Gaming @ 1500/8000
- 4x4 GB Dominator Platinum 2400 MHz
- 2x 850 Pro 2TB
- Seasonic PRIME Titanium 850W
- Phanteks Enthoo Primo
- Custom watercooling (420+360+240)
- XB270HU 27" 1440p 144Hz IPS

Last edited by magnek; 01-07-2019 at 07:05 PM.
post #25 of 209 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 08:06 PM
Otherworlder

Rep: 217 (Unique: 125)
Quote: Originally Posted by magnek View Post
Dunno about you guys but I'd be damn pissed if I waited 3.5 years just to get 980 Ti performance for 50% the price.

well its not like newer games that needs way more horsepower comes that frequently, so sticking to one card for 3~5years isn't really unusual.
but yeah, i can agree that the progress of perf/$ has become stagnant, although those manufacturers would blame the crypto-boom for that issue.

trolling an adult is very dangerous, don't try it at home nor at work. you don't want to play tag with a rabid man.
post #26 of 209 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 09:47 PM
MegaTechPC

Rep: 1092 (Unique: 517)
As Linus said today in his coverage of the RTX 2060, its still not really a smart card to buy. The reasoning is because the card is just not powerful enough to take advantage of the Ray Tracing stuff (which apparently cuts frame rates in half) and it is pretty much a certainty that Nvidia will be releasing a far cheaper 1160 at some point which will have the same performance in non-RTX mode as the 2060, so that card will be the real budget buy whenever it comes out.

Ray Tracing and RTX is really neat stuff that can be taken advantage of in a couple of games but you really need to get the top of the line RTX cards if you want to truly take advantage of that. If you are a budget gamer you really shouldn't be expecting to get in on the RTX bandwagon just yet, IMO...

3DMark11 - P25138
3DMark Firestrike - P20998

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

post #27 of 209 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 10:23 PM
Otherworlder

Rep: 217 (Unique: 125)
Quote: Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric View Post
As Linus said today in his coverage of the RTX 2060, its still not really a smart card to buy. The reasoning is because the card is just not powerful enough to take advantage of the Ray Tracing stuff (which apparently cuts frame rates in half) and it is pretty much a certainty that Nvidia will be releasing a far cheaper 1160 at some point which will have the same performance in non-RTX mode as the 2060, so that card will be the real budget buy whenever it comes out.

Ray Tracing and RTX is really neat stuff that can be taken advantage of in a couple of games but you really need to get the top of the line RTX cards if you want to truly take advantage of that. If you are a budget gamer you really shouldn't be expecting to get in on the RTX bandwagon just yet, IMO...

question, does RT effects work even without an RTX card?
because even if completely utilizing it is out of the question for 2060, it could still be used to take screenshots and short clips.
in this case, even if its just 24FPS its still acceptable for a recording.

trolling an adult is very dangerous, don't try it at home nor at work. you don't want to play tag with a rabid man.
post #28 of 209 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 10:39 PM
MegaTechPC

Rep: 1092 (Unique: 517)
I'm sure there are plenty of gamers out there who would be fine with the card but, for me personally, if I want RTX I'd go with a 2080Ti to actually be able to enjoy it. Since I'm poor (and still rocking my OG Titans) I'd probably just try to score a couple of used Pascal cards instead, at least until there are more games that actually take advantage of ray tracing...

3DMark11 - P25138
3DMark Firestrike - P20998

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

post #29 of 209 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 170 (Unique: 106)
Quote: Originally Posted by epic1337 View Post
question, does RT effects work even without an RTX card?
because even if completely utilizing it is out of the question for 2060, it could still be used to take screenshots and short clips.
in this case, even if its just 24FPS its still acceptable for a recording.
I'm sure nVidia can make it run on anything, it's their middleware. There are reports of Volta chips running as fast as RTX cards and they don't have all the RTX cores. The question is will nVidia allow it.

But you can use a GTX 2060 with GimpWorks™ ON and use Ansel or whatever for screenshots. I seriously doubt nVidia would allow consumers to run RTX features on anything else other than an RTX card.

I personally don't care about ray-tracing now, it's too new and too heavy. If I get a RTX 2060, it would only be for the traditional performance. Why buy a GTX 1070 Ti, when newer silicon exists for the same performance and price?

CPU
AMD Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard
Asus Prime X470-Pro
GPU
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 XC Ultra
RAM
TeamGroup T-Force 16 GB (2x8) Pro Dark (B-die TDPGD416G3200HC14ADC01)
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Platinum SSR-750PX
Cooling
Corsair H80i (not V2 or GT)
Monitor
LG 34UC80-B
Keyboard
Logitech G413
Mouse
Logitech G503 RGB
Audio
Creative SoundBlaster Z (OEM)
▲ hide details ▲
post #30 of 209 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 05:23 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 31 (Unique: 18)
Quote: Originally Posted by Scotty99 View Post
Why? I was looking at benchmarks and for most of the games i play this had a decent lead on the vega 56, overwatch especially. That seems to be a common problem with AMD gpu's, they seem to only do well in the games no one plays lol.
the more modern games are out (DX12/vulkan) the more Vega stretch its legs, if we came to BFV we have a complete bump of one tier for all the vegas compared to pascal

anyway I see GTA all over the reviews...............again..................... and crysis 3 too which is ridiculous

M8
(11 items)
Otto
(9 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 2600X
Motherboard
Asrock Taichi X470
GPU
sapphire fury nitro oc
RAM
GSkill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 Cl14
Hard Drive
SSD Crucial MX500 500GB
Power Supply
Antec HPC 850 Platinum
Cooling
noctua dual fan 120
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Acrylic
Operating System
microsoft windows 10 pro
Monitor
DELL U2311H
Monitor
ASUS MX34VQ
CPU
Intel Core i3/i5/i7
Motherboard
P8H77-I
GPU
AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
RAM
8 GB 1600
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Seasonic G-750
Case
Bitfenix Prodigy mitx
Operating System
Windows 8.1
Monitor
DELL U2311H
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in