[ABOpen]Raspberry Pi Foundation Announces RISC-V Foundation Membership - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[ABOpen]Raspberry Pi Foundation Announces RISC-V Foundation Membership

post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Evangelist

Rep: 185 (Unique: 147)
[ABOpen]Raspberry Pi Foundation Announces RISC-V Foundation Membership

AB Open Article: Raspberry Pi Foundation Announces RISC-V Foundation Membership

Quote:
The original Raspberry Pi launched in February 2012 as a low-cost single-board computer (SBC) primarily targeting the hobbyist and educational market and based around a Broadcom BCM2835 single-core Arm system-on-chip. Originally developed for set-top box use, the Broadcom chip boasted surprisingly powerful graphics but a weak, 32-bit processing core – something the not-for-profit Raspberry Pi Foundation has sought to address in more recent releases, eventually settling on a 64-bit quad-core Arm Cortex-A53 IP.

Now, though, the Foundation has announced that it is joining the RISC-V Foundation, suggesting that a shift away from Arm could be on the cards. “We’re excited to have joined the RISC-V Foundation as a silver member,” the Raspberry Pi Foundation posted to its Twitter account. “[We’re] hoping to contribute to maturing the Linux kernel and Debian port for the world’s leading free and open instruction set architecture.”
This is not a product announcement, but signals that there will likely be a product announcement in the future that Raspberry is moving over from ARM to RISC-V, or at least will provide a RISC-V version of the Pi.

This is why that matters:

I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway.

If it's not coming out for the PC, it's dead to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in