[Tom's Hardware] PCIe 5.0 Is Ready For Prime Time - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Tom's Hardware] PCIe 5.0 Is Ready For Prime Time

post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 02:10 AM
New to Overclock.net
Shadowarez Level 1

Let's hope shintel doesn't cheap out like they do and give 16 pcie 5 lanes and 8/16 pcie 3/4 on next chipsets. They been really shtty with lane distribution my i9 7980xe only has 44 lanes and that's shared with neutered dmi 3 and pch.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 03:09 AM
New to Overclock.net
prjindigo is an unknown quantity at this point prjindigo is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote: Originally Posted by Omega X View Post
Lol, no, not really... graphics cards still use 3.0 and likely is will still not run right above 3.0.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 09:50 AM
Overclocking Enthusiast
ozlay is on a distinguished road ozlay is on a distinguished road ozlay is on a distinguished road

AM5 with DDR5 and PCIe 5.0

In Loving Memory Of Kassandra

Kaby
Rikka
(11 items)
CPU
Intel I5-7600k
Motherboard
Asrock Z270M Extreme 4
GPU
Titan X
GPU
Titan X
RAM
Galax HOF
Hard Drive
850 pro
Hard Drive
960 Pro
Hard Drive
970 Evo
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Snow
Case
enthoo evolv matx tempered glass
Operating System
windows 10 pro
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 12:23 PM
Mentally Insane User
99belle99 Level 1

I'm still rocking PCIe 2.0.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 12:38 PM
New to Overclock.net
white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about

Quote: Originally Posted by Defoler View Post
So this could mean that we will see a fast jump from PCIE 3.0 to 5.0 and some will just skip 4.0? That would be lovely.

Though AMD have already said they plan to release new chips and cpus with 4.0, there was no word from intel about it. I guess this could be the reason, and they already plan to jump to 5.0 (at least I hope).
The only ones that I know actually incorporate PCIE 4.0 right now are IBM with the power 9, and that is not exactly mass produced compared to others.
Exactly right. I read that a while ago. Basically the fellas that do the PCIE standards had 5 ready before 4 was even adopted so many of us will likely never use 4.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 02:59 PM
Performance is the bible
Defoler has a spectacular aura about Defoler has a spectacular aura about Defoler has a spectacular aura about Defoler has a spectacular aura about Defoler has a spectacular aura about Defoler has a spectacular aura about Defoler has a spectacular aura about Defoler has a spectacular aura about Defoler has a spectacular aura about Defoler has a spectacular aura about Defoler has a spectacular aura about

Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
Exactly right. I read that a while ago. Basically the fellas that do the PCIE standards had 5 ready before 4 was even adopted so many of us will likely never use 4.
I'm ok with that considering for the most part, even PCIE 3.0 is sometimes an overkill for mainstream, and for the most part, even PCIE 3.0 x8 is more than enough to not bottleneck current get GPUs.
So 5.0 even at x8 is going to be enough future proof until several generation GPUs pass on. Especially since we are only seeing now 7nm, and 5nm or lower, or a brand new tech, is still years from now.

Quote: Originally Posted by Shadowarez View Post
Let's hope shintel doesn't cheap out like they do and give 16 pcie 5 lanes and 8/16 pcie 3/4 on next chipsets. They been really shtty with lane distribution my i9 7980xe only has 44 lanes and that's shared with neutered dmi 3 and pch.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
So buy AMD if you don't like intel.

But most likely considering intel will try to keep their mainstream chips small, we won't see more pins to be available for more than 16 PCIE directly to the CPU. It might also not be needed until much later on.

Just to remind you, the DMI is not shared with the 44 lanes. Do you even know your own chip?
Also DMI is based on PCIE, so 4.0 or 5.0 will also increase DMI speeds.

Last edited by Defoler; 01-20-2019 at 03:05 PM.
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 04:45 PM
AMD OC'ing Enthusiast
mattliston has a spectacular aura about mattliston has a spectacular aura about mattliston has a spectacular aura about mattliston has a spectacular aura about mattliston has a spectacular aura about mattliston has a spectacular aura about mattliston has a spectacular aura about mattliston has a spectacular aura about mattliston has a spectacular aura about mattliston has a spectacular aura about mattliston has a spectacular aura about

Quote: Originally Posted by prjindigo View Post
Lol, no, not really... graphics cards still use 3.0 and likely is will still not run right above 3.0.

what? Who told you that?

PCIE interface is completely interchangeable with any cards that use it on the consumer side. You can put a 1080TI in a PCIE 1.0 slot, and you can put an old 6600 GT inside today's newest motherboards.

nvidia and amd would have a very different customer base if each PCIE generation dictated GPU function.
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 05:02 PM
New to Overclock.net
white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about

Quote: Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
what? Who told you that?

PCIE interface is completely interchangeable with any cards that use it on the consumer side. You can put a 1080TI in a PCIE 1.0 slot, and you can put an old 6600 GT inside today's newest motherboards.

nvidia and amd would have a very different customer base if each PCIE generation dictated GPU function.
Sometimes you just have to pause and laugh at people

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 07:27 PM
Frequency is Megabytes
Seronx is an unknown quantity at this point Seronx is an unknown quantity at this point Seronx is an unknown quantity at this point

I await our PCIe 5.0 x4 discrete gpu overlords.

post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 07:30 PM
AMD OC'ing Enthusiast
mattliston has a spectacular aura about mattliston has a spectacular aura about mattliston has a spectacular aura about mattliston has a spectacular aura about mattliston has a spectacular aura about mattliston has a spectacular aura about mattliston has a spectacular aura about mattliston has a spectacular aura about mattliston has a spectacular aura about mattliston has a spectacular aura about mattliston has a spectacular aura about

Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
Sometimes you just have to pause and laugh at people

I guess what threw me off about that was I have never seen any sort of reason to ever believe that was an issue, over the last 10+ years

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in