[Various] ‘Flexgate’ might be Apple’s next MacBook Pro problem - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Various] ‘Flexgate’ might be Apple’s next MacBook Pro problem

post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter
⎬⎛⎝⎠⎞⎨
TK421 is an unknown quantity at this point TK421 is an unknown quantity at this point

[Various] ‘Flexgate’ might be Apple’s next MacBook Pro problem

Quote:
Starting with the 2016 MacBook Pro, Apple has used a pair of flexible ribbon cables that are pulled tight every time you open the lid on the computer. That may be damaging them over time.

As the cable breaks down, it can cause an odd “stage light” effect at the bottom of the display when the lid is fully opened. As more damage is caused over time, it can cause the screen to completely fail to function if the lid is opened more than halfway.

source
- https://ifixit.org/blog/12903/
- https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...creen-flexgate

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 05:44 PM
Kill Confirmed
speed_demon Level 1

There was a flex cable in the old iPads that would wiggle loose from routine use and the display would stop working. Apple sure likes those slim cables!

post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 06:44 PM
Linux Lobbyist
parityboy is on a distinguished road parityboy is on a distinguished road parityboy is on a distinguished road

Ryzen
(16 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 1700
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-AB350M Gaming 3
GPU
Palit GT-430
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3000C15
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3000C15R
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Hard Drive
Storage Array
Hard Drive
Western Digital RE3
Power Supply
Seasonic PRIME 1000 Ultra
Cooling
AMD Wraith Spire
Case
Fractal Design Arc Mini R2
Operating System
Linux Mint 18.x
Monitor
Dell UltraSharp U2414H
Keyboard
Dell SK-8185
Mouse
Logitech Trackman Wheel
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 07:04 PM
New to Overclock.net
Avalar Level 1

Problem? Just means you have to visit an Apple store and have it fixed for equal or more than the price of the laptop. Not Apple's problem at all.

When are people gonna stop buying their stuff though, really?

Everything I own or have used extensively in an alphabetical list. Ask me anything! ^-^
CPU
Ryzen 1600
Motherboard
ASRock AB350
GPU
Asus Strix GTX 1070
RAM
G-Skill 2x8GB 3200MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA 500BQ
Cooling
Cryorig H7
Case
Rosewill Viper Z
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Acer GN246HL
Keyboard
Corsair K65
Mouse
Too many
Mousepad
Too many
Audio
SHP9500
▲ hide details ▲
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 07:06 PM
Kill Confirmed
speed_demon Level 1

When my brother worked for Cisco Systems he was given a company MBP against his wishes. Not every person with one of these made the selection themselves.

But yeah their products suck to repair. Stop buying the products and they will be forced to change to regain sales.

post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 07:33 PM
Overclocker
JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about

My ASUS laptop with no preinstalled OS lasted from 2006 until 2014 of constant daily use and travel, sure the battery rests in peace but same battery from a different laptop worked fine and those cells survived alright and I still use them as they have barely any capacity loss after a decade. It still works today, the only thing falling apart is the plastic housing/frame cracking at stress points and this happens on all plastic laptops.

I've seen these Apple products, used them, didn't like them one bit every time, always looks like a wanna be cool product with some proprietary Linux/Unix clone and hella weird controls. If it breaks you're buying a new one, why? Because you were rich enough to afford the product first time.
Overpriced garbage, almost all Apple products, from a technical point of view. You're paying for "social status"/bragging rights while giving away your money and most of your freedoms to Apple.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 08:03 PM
I want my flames back
magnek is on a distinguished road magnek is on a distinguished road magnek is on a distinguished road magnek is on a distinguished road magnek is on a distinguished road

Quote: Originally Posted by speed_demon View Post
When my brother worked for Cisco Systems he was given a company MBP against his wishes. Not every person with one of these made the selection themselves.

But yeah their products suck to repair. Stop buying the products and they will be forced to change to regain sales.
Are you serious? You're asking followers of a religion to abandon their faith? You know apostasy is punishable by death in some countries right?

Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
My ASUS laptop with no preinstalled OS lasted from 2006 until 2014 of constant daily use and travel, sure the battery rests in peace but same battery from a different laptop worked fine and those cells survived alright and I still use them as they have barely any capacity loss after a decade. It still works today, the only thing falling apart is the plastic housing/frame cracking at stress points and this happens on all plastic laptops.
I bought a crappy Compaq laptop for college in 2006, it had an AMD Turion ML-30 single core CPU that ran at a paltry 1.6 GHz. I rocked this thing until 2012 when I finally got fed up with the loading times (it would take ~10 min to boot to desktop, and another 7 min to open Firefox lol) and bought a new laptop. The battery was long gone of course but otherwise it was still chugging along just fine.

I also have an Alienware M14x R2 I bought used in 2014. It's now also 6 years old, but apart from the cooling fan annoying me a bit with its constant spooling up, I have no complaints at all. Slapped an 850 Pro and some 1866 DDR3 sticks in it on day one and the performance has just been great. Yes it's essentially a glorified Chromebook at this point, but it will still run circles around one even in 2019.

Quote:
I've seen these Apple products, used them, didn't like them one bit every time, always looks like a wanna be cool product with some proprietary Linux/Unix clone and hella weird controls. If it breaks you're buying a new one, why? Because you were rich enough to afford the product first time.
Overpriced garbage, almost all Apple products, from a technical point of view. You're paying for "social status"/bragging rights while giving away your money and most of your freedoms to Apple.
Heh whenever I see someone whip out a Macbook in a coffee shop, I instantly think to myself "clearly just another idiot who knows nothing about tech and doesn't give the least bit of flying Peking ducks about it". Joke's on them.

- 4930K @ 4.5 GHz | Asus X79-Deluxe
- MSi 980 Ti Gaming @ 1500/8000
- 4x4 GB Dominator Platinum 2400 MHz
- 2x 850 Pro 2TB
- Seasonic PRIME Titanium 850W
- Phanteks Enthoo Primo
- Custom watercooling (420+360+240)
- XB270HU 27" 1440p 144Hz IPS
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 09:50 PM
New to Overclock.net
circeseye Level 1

yea i have 2 laptops at least 10 years old that still work to this day.....batteries wont hold a charge very long but hey they still work lol.....show me a apple one that lasts that long

post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 10:11 PM
Performance is the bible
Defoler has a spectacular aura about Defoler has a spectacular aura about Defoler has a spectacular aura about Defoler has a spectacular aura about Defoler has a spectacular aura about Defoler has a spectacular aura about Defoler has a spectacular aura about Defoler has a spectacular aura about Defoler has a spectacular aura about Defoler has a spectacular aura about Defoler has a spectacular aura about

Beside the article pointing a potential problem and one example, there is nothing about how many people actually had that problem.
And the use of flex cables is not limited to apple. Every thin laptop is using it, and the panel isn't being made by apple even.

This seems like a clickbait article to make hysteria where there isn't one.

post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 02:53 AM
New to Overclock.net
jonny27 Level 1

Quote:
flexible ribbon cables that are pulled tight every time you open the lid on the computer
Come on people, say it with me:

"Planned..."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in