[Tom's Hardware] Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD Review: More Layers Brings More Performance - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Tom's Hardware] Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD Review: More Layers Brings More Performance

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 06:01 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 25 (Unique: 22)
Newegg shopping to me is close to 100%cist if item. They charge like Urs being shipped from the Congo then states them here. Pricing I seen was bout $30 more then the wd new black for $249 for the 1tb

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 02:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 158 (Unique: 114)
This is just a great advertisement for the XPG, at $218 the savings make it definitely worth looking at.

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 04:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 338 (Unique: 248)
Is it really too much to ask for this level of performance in a 2TB model for $300? We already get that +/- $20 on sata versions, and the main thing holding speed back there is the sata interface itself. I hate that they charge so much extra just to get the interface that allows more speed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 04:09 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
But random Q1 4K reads still suck compared to Intel....when is this finally going to change? For me its the only number that matters for daily desktop use and until now nobody can touch Intel's 900 series..

X299 - i9 7940X
(24 items)
CPU
i9-7940X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage VI Extreme
GPU
Asus Strix GTX 1080Ti OC
RAM
64GB Trident Z RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung M.2 960Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
WD Gold 10TB
Hard Drive
WD Red 4TB
Hard Drive
WD RED 4TB
Hard Drive
WD Green 2TB
Hard Drive
WD Green 2TB
Hard Drive
WD Green 2TB
Power Supply
Corsair AX1500i
Cooling
MO-RA 420 Pro
Cooling
EK RVIE Monoblock
Cooling
Phanteks Asus Strix 1080Ti GPU Block
Cooling
EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 PWM
Cooling
Bitspower Fittings
Cooling
Heatkiller 200mm Reservoir
Cooling
9X Corsair ML140 Pro Fans
Case
Coolermaster Cosmos 2
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
BenQ SW320 32" 4K
Mouse
Logitech MX Master 2S
Mouse
Logitech MX Master 2S
▲ hide details ▲
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 08:03 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 338 (Unique: 248)
Quote: Originally Posted by Abaidor View Post
But random Q1 4K reads still suck compared to Intel....when is this finally going to change? For me its the only number that matters for daily desktop use and until now nobody can touch Intel's 900 series..

That is simply because of NAND limitations. Optane drives get around those limitations because they are not NAND chips and were designed with extremely low latency in mind. That low latency enables extremely high levels of small IO, which enables high MB/s readings since it can shove so much more data per second from latency being so low. There are other technologies in R&D that may bring similar boosts like X-Point did for Optane drives, but they are still a ways out.

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 08:08 AM
Otherworlder

Rep: 217 (Unique: 125)
Quote: Originally Posted by EniGma1987 View Post
That is simply because of NAND limitations. Optane drives get around those limitations because they are not NAND chips and were designed with extremely low latency in mind. That low latency enables extremely high levels of small IO, which enables high MB/s readings since it can shove so much more data per second from latency being so low. There are other technologies in R&D that may bring similar boosts like X-Point did for Optane drives, but they are still a ways out.
technically they could by caching the read with DRAM, just like how intel's SRT works.
but this has an enormous requirement in RAM capacity.

the key points to make it work:
* large onboard RAM - 16GB~32GB per TB NAND capacity
* dedicated SLC hold-in cache for high priority data (this is where the DRAM will fetch and dump the data)
* everything assigned as high priority data within the SLC cache will be loaded into the onboard RAM cache

edit: they could also use X-Point instead of RAM, this would also eliminate the need for a dedicated SLC cache.

trolling an adult is very dangerous, don't try it at home nor at work. you don't want to play tag with a rabid man.

Last edited by epic1337; 01-24-2019 at 08:17 AM.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 08:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 25 (Unique: 22)
There is Samsung's Znand and maybe micron if they ever release there quantex version of optane it's been 2+ years of vaporware micron needs to stop dragging its heels on there xpoint tech.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 09:15 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 37 (Unique: 31)
If I'd be at Intel position I'd make manufacturing so efficient it would drop price of Optane to current MLC prices, and kill SSD NAND.

Samsung would lose profits, and Intel would gain significant footprint until SSD manufacturers would develop their own version, be willing to sell for low profits, and create worker less efficient manufacturing capacities.

Making old technology obsolete in few months was one of main advantages of HW industry. Looks like nowadays profits are more important than driving competition out of business, and continue to sell high quality for low price to prevent new competition to enter market.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 11:08 AM
Overclocking Enthusiast

Rep: 274 (Unique: 219)
Wake me up Samsung when you drop a consumer Z-SSD. Or a pcie 4.0 SSD.

In Loving Memory Of Kassandra

Kaby
Rikka
(9 items)
CPU
Intel I5-7600k
Motherboard
Asrock Z270M Extreme 4
GPU
Titan X
RAM
Gskill Royal
Hard Drive
970 Evo
Hard Drive
Optane 900p
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Snow
Case
enthoo evolv matx tempered glass
Operating System
windows 10 pro
▲ hide details ▲

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 11:45 AM
Robotic Chemist

Rep: 189 (Unique: 127)
Quote: Originally Posted by Raghar View Post
Looks like nowadays profits are more important than driving competition out of business, and continue to sell high quality for low price to prevent new competition to enter market.
This is what happens with mature markets with only a few suppliers (oligarchy). It is much more profitable, at least in the short term, to avoid competing with each other on price and keep the margins higher for everyone. A lot of the early behavior was attempting to become the leader for the future, now that we exist in those future stable markets the move to less competitive behavior and less innovation is expected.

Computer technology and business is a nasty mix. Computer tech is a natural monopoly; everything is easier/less work if everyone uses the same standards but the way IP laws work causes this market need for interoperability to create monopolies.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in