[TechPowerUp] Sapphire and AsRock reveal their Radeon VII models - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[TechPowerUp] Sapphire and AsRock reveal their Radeon VII models

post #11 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 07:29 PM
MegaTechPC
Majin SSJ Eric has a spectacular aura about Majin SSJ Eric has a spectacular aura about Majin SSJ Eric has a spectacular aura about Majin SSJ Eric has a spectacular aura about Majin SSJ Eric has a spectacular aura about Majin SSJ Eric has a spectacular aura about Majin SSJ Eric has a spectacular aura about Majin SSJ Eric has a spectacular aura about

Quote: Originally Posted by Aenra View Post
Since no one's bothered (why?), thought i may as well make a post about it.

Baseline $699 for either one according to the official statements, available (who'd have guessed) February 7th.
Interestingly, the Sapphire's 'Peak' clock is listed at 1750 rather than the officially announced 1800MHz, while AsRock appears to have refrained from posting specifics altogether. Our understanding of the differences between 'Peak' and 'Boost' aside, it remains to be seen whether the GPU has been dialed back, or whether AMD has chosen to go the Nvidia route; will remind here that these will also be sold directly from AMD.

Attachment 249350

Attachment 249352

As can be found here: https://www.techpowerup.com/251798/s...r-direct-sales
And here: https://www.techpowerup.com/251826/a...-card-revealed

__ opinion, ie the part you can ignore __
+ Am personally interested in this, though i understand i'm probably a minority. The extra bandwidth could potentially improve/alleviate some issues the previous Vegas had, the extra performance makes it an upgrade over its siblings and once again (unexpectedly too) i continue to have zero reason to buy from Nvidia. Being aware of the prices for HBM (calculated at around $300-350 per unit), the cost doesn't annoy me either; though of course yes, cheaper will always be better. Except there is cheaper and with either company; choice.
A reasonable upgrade for someone unwilling to buy Nvidia or not aiming at top tier performance. Its being a 're-purposed' Instinct doesn't annoy or interest me in the slightest. I don't see why this needs be portrayed negatively.
Now the people that strive hard to blind themselves with 4/8/9000K setups mere centimeters away from their eyes and/or the people that need to post pics of their 8k rigs (next one will cost ten thousand guyz, hon3st!!!1) may not be interested in any of this, but am somehow hoping that reasonable people will see it differently.
I'd like to see it sell, not only because any AMD income is a welcome income, but also because it would validate the existence of, again, some semblance of reason within this hype-driven market. NuGreedia gimmicks are currently just that, gimmicks, and gimmicks that come at a cost; not just financial either, as the patch required to make some (non)use of them requires specific versions/builds of Windows; shoehorning you before you're even being shoehorned; some more that is.

- Lack of a dual BIOS is a bad move. It was a bad move in the Vega FE, it is even worse a move here as it precludes the FE from being the single exception to an adhered rule. This was an AMD staple, this was convenience and/or QoL, this was an affirmation of their sticking to their 'mentality'. It should not have been absent, am not liking this.
Agree with everything you said. I too am interested in the Radeon VII (or at least I will be later this year when I'm planning my new build) and I also agree that no dual-BIOS is a very bad move by AMD.

3DMark11 - P25138
3DMark Firestrike - P20998

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 07:31 PM
MegaTechPC
Majin SSJ Eric has a spectacular aura about Majin SSJ Eric has a spectacular aura about Majin SSJ Eric has a spectacular aura about Majin SSJ Eric has a spectacular aura about Majin SSJ Eric has a spectacular aura about Majin SSJ Eric has a spectacular aura about Majin SSJ Eric has a spectacular aura about Majin SSJ Eric has a spectacular aura about

Quote: Originally Posted by TomiKazi View Post
I don't know what kind of driver optimizations are possible between the announcement earlier this month and release date. I think what we want to see at the least is the VII consistently outperforming the 2080, even if it's only by a few frames... that way it would be 'market-conform', however disappointing that market may be. If it fails to do that, it may still be suitable for those that for whatever content-creating reason need 16GiB HBM2 or die-hard AMD users/people who simply loathe Nvidia.

As for me, I don't know. I'm on a five years old 290 and at the moment there is nothing I'd want to play which I currently can't. Then again, the last time I upgraded a videocard because I couldn't play some video-game is quite some time ago. Getting something like this would be more of a hobby thing to me.

There is one thing I'm sure of though: no waterblock means no VII. On an unrelated note, it's a bit shorter than I expected it to be, which I do not dislike.
Oh crap, didn't think about that. Yeah, I need blocks to be available for me to even consider the Radeon VII and I doubt they will produce enough units to create enough demand for companies like EK to bother. Shame...

3DMark11 - P25138

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

post #13 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 07:40 PM
MegaTechPC

Quote: Originally Posted by Shatun-Bear View Post
Any word on when the customs are set to arrive? Likely several weeks after these ref models launch, so probably March if we're lucky.
Sadly, the Radeon VII will be reference-only per its announcement at CES. An MSi Lightning version of this card would be killer, but I think AMD is going to be tightly controlling the supply and specs of this card since its really just a stopgap placeholder in their product lineup while they finish up Navi. I think it looks like a really nice product as-is (and 16GB of HBM2 is just dool-worthy regardless of how useful it actually is), it should compete well with the 2080, and it does have the bragging rights of being the first 7nm video card to reach production AFAIK. The price is what makes it seem a little underwhelming, especially if it fails to match the 2080's performance, but still certainly a high-end AMD graphics card worthy of release IMO.

3DMark11 - P25138

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 11:16 PM
New to Overclock.net
twitchyzero Level 1

a 7nm big die card with 16GB of HBM2 needs hdmi 2.1

Nvidia Surround Gaming
My PC Hardware Upgrade CyclesWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
CPU: Athlon 1.3GHz | Core 2 Duo OC'd 2.0GHz | Core i5-3570K OC'd 4.8GHz
RAM: 2x256MB DDR-333MHz | 2x1GB DDR2-667MHz -> 2x2GB DDR2-800MHz | 4x4GB OC'd DDR3-2133MHz
GPU: GeForce2 MX 64MB -> Radeon 9600 Pro 256MB | Radeon X1950 Pro 256MB | GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB SLI OC'd
post #15 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 12:23 AM
New to Overclock.net
Ultracarpet is an unknown quantity at this point Ultracarpet is an unknown quantity at this point Ultracarpet is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote: Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric View Post
Oh crap, didn't think about that. Yeah, I need blocks to be available for me to even consider the Radeon VII and I doubt they will produce enough units to create enough demand for companies like EK to bother. Shame...
I would be surprised if there weren't blocks.

post #16 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 12:57 AM
New to Overclock.net
m4fox90 Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by Blackops_2 View Post
I understand this card is expensive to produce but given the mindshare issue they already face and it equals at best a 2080 according to their own benchmarks do they think it will really sell that well? I feel like if they had launched at $500 it would sell like crazy. Or people would wait for Nvidia to lower prices.
How are we in a world where "2080 performance at best" is a knock against this card, especially given that there are barely if any $699 2080s out there?

Silence in the Snow
(13 items)
CPU
Ryzen 1600X
Motherboard
ASRock X370 Taichi
GPU
GTX 1080 FTW2
RAM
G.Skill RipJaws V 16 GB @3466
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 EVO 500GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 3TB
Hard Drive
Seagate FireCuda 2TB
Power Supply
Seasonic SnowSilent
Cooling
Silverstone TD-02E
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
Predator XB271HU
Monitor
ASUS PB 258Q
▲ hide details ▲
post #17 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 01:00 AM
New to Overclock.net
white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about

Its being a 're-purposed' Instinct doesn't annoy or interest me in the slightest. I don't see why this needs be portrayed negatively.
Don't you love that? It's OK for Nvidia's gaming GPUs to be made from lesser quality Pro silicon but AMD's "just selling broken server cards" if they do it. If AMD's GPU performs and costs the same as one of Nvidia's its "too expensive" even if it has 2x the ram.
EDIT: @Blackops_2 beat me to it.

I genuinely think that people believe Nvidia made the RTX components for ray tracing.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
post #18 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 01:10 AM
New to Overclock.net
Maracus Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by steelbom View Post
I would like to see the price of Vega 64 drop a bit more in Australia ($750 for the ROG Strix)... not sure if the release of this will have any affect on that.
Currently $699 on pccasegear, not sure how much further it will drop.

post #19 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 03:32 AM
Iconoclast
Blameless has a spectacular aura about Blameless has a spectacular aura about Blameless has a spectacular aura about Blameless has a spectacular aura about Blameless has a spectacular aura about Blameless has a spectacular aura about Blameless has a spectacular aura about Blameless has a spectacular aura about Blameless has a spectacular aura about Blameless has a spectacular aura about Blameless has a spectacular aura about

Its being a 're-purposed' Instinct doesn't annoy or interest me in the slightest. I don't see why this needs be portrayed negatively.
Until Maxwell, essentially every consumer GPU was a re-purposed professional part.

Just use a GPU/CPU block and retain the reference VRM cooling.

...rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. -- Thomas Jefferson
Haswell-E
(15 items)
Broadwell-E
(11 items)
Westmere
(13 items)
CPU
5820K @ 4.25/4.125GHz core/uncore, 1.21/1.2v
Motherboard
Gigabyte X99 SOC Champion (F23c + updated microcode)
GPU
Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1080 Ti (F3P) @ 2025/1485(5940), 1.031v
RAM
4x4GiB Crucial @ 2667, 12-11-12-26-T1, 1.39v
Hard Drive
Plextor M6e 128GB (fw 1.06) M.2 (PCI-E 2.0 2x)
Hard Drive
2x Crucial M4 256GB
Hard Drive
4x WD Scorpio Black 500GB
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus 850 Platinum (SSR-850PX)
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S + 2x Thermalright TY-143
Case
Corsair Carbide Air 540
Operating System
Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
Monitor
BenQ BL3200PT
Keyboard
Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless (MX Brown)
Mouse
Logitech G402
Audio
Realtek ALC1150 + M-Audio AV40
CPU
i7-6800K @ 4.2(4.1)/3.4GHz core(AVX)/uncore, 1.345/1.15v
Motherboard
ASRock X99 OC Formula (P3.40)
GPU
MSI GTX 1080 Ti Duke OC @ 1950/1485MHz, 1.043v
RAM
4x4GiB Crucial DDR4-2400 @ 11-13-12-28-T2, 1.33v
Hard Drive
Intel 600p 256GB NVMe
Hard Drive
2x HGST Travelstar 7k1000 1TB
Power Supply
Corsair RM1000x
Cooling
Thermalright True Spirit 140 Direct + TY-143
Case
Fractal Design Define R4
Operating System
Windows Server 2016 Datacenter
Audio
ASUS Xonar DX
CPU
X5670 @ 4.3/3.7GHz core/uncore, 1.36 vcore, 1.35 qpi/vtt
Motherboard
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 r2.0 w/FF3mod10 BIOS
GPU
Sapphire Fury Nitro OC+ @ 1080/545, 1.275vGPU/1.394vHBM
RAM
2x Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US @ 2050, 10-11-11-30-T1, 1.52v
RAM
1x Crucial BLT4G3D1608ET3LX0 @ 2050, 10-11-11-30-T1, 1.52v
Hard Drive
OCZ (Toshiba) Trion 150 120GB
Hard Drive
Hyundai Sapphire 120GB
Hard Drive
3x Hitachi Deskstar 7k1000.C 1TB
Power Supply
Seasonic SS-860XP2
Cooling
Noctua NH-D14
Case
Fractal Design Define R5
Operating System
Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1
Audio
ASUS Xonar DS
▲ hide details ▲
post #20 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 04:16 AM
New to Overclock.net
white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about

Not sure where they're getting their info from but I saw the post myself (can't remember if it was Twitter or FB) but Reddit has a thread on just that and EK was judging interest on their social media page. You might dig a little on the matter and see where they ended up.
A finished GPU block costs less than $10 to make in bulk all expenses included so in a smaller order they could still be very profitable. I know how much they cost to make because I was into artisan coil building (vape) and had many friends telling me exactly what the cost was for making copper and stainless RDAs, mechs and such. RDAs cost less than a dollar to make and sell for $60 and in some cases more.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in