[TechPowerUp] Sapphire and AsRock reveal their Radeon VII models - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[TechPowerUp] Sapphire and AsRock reveal their Radeon VII models

post #1 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter
Tetrapyloctomist

Rep: 21 (Unique: 20)
[TechPowerUp] Sapphire and AsRock reveal their Radeon VII models

Since no one's bothered (why?), thought i may as well make a post about it.

Baseline $699 for either one according to the official statements, available (who'd have guessed) February 7th.
Interestingly, the Sapphire's 'Peak' clock is listed at 1750 rather than the officially announced 1800MHz, while AsRock appears to have refrained from posting specifics altogether. Our understanding of the differences between 'Peak' and 'Boost' aside, it remains to be seen whether the GPU has been dialed back, or whether AMD has chosen to go the Nvidia route; will remind here that these will also be sold directly from AMD.

Click image for larger version

Name:	iMyi7jFCCGgKcqQw.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	249350

Click image for larger version

Name:	PH0OHxdJ2sbBlQGi.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	249352

As can be found here: https://www.techpowerup.com/251798/s...r-direct-sales
And here: https://www.techpowerup.com/251826/a...-card-revealed

__ opinion, ie the part you can ignore __
+ Am personally interested in this, though i understand i'm probably a minority. The extra bandwidth could potentially improve/alleviate some issues the previous Vegas had, the extra performance makes it an upgrade over its siblings and once again (unexpectedly too) i continue to have zero reason to buy from Nvidia. Being aware of the prices for HBM (calculated at around $300-350 per unit), the cost doesn't annoy me either; though of course yes, cheaper will always be better. Except there is cheaper and with either company; choice.
A reasonable upgrade for someone unwilling to buy Nvidia or not aiming at top tier performance. Its being a 're-purposed' Instinct doesn't annoy or interest me in the slightest. I don't see why this needs be portrayed negatively.
Now the people that strive hard to blind themselves with 4/8/9000K setups mere centimeters away from their eyes and/or the people that need to post pics of their 8k rigs (next one will cost ten thousand guyz, hon3st!!!1) may not be interested in any of this, but am somehow hoping that reasonable people will see it differently.
I'd like to see it sell, not only because any AMD income is a welcome income, but also because it would validate the existence of, again, some semblance of reason within this hype-driven market. NuGreedia gimmicks are currently just that, gimmicks, and gimmicks that come at a cost; not just financial either, as the patch required to make some (non)use of them requires specific versions/builds of Windows; shoehorning you before you're even being shoehorned; some more that is.

- Lack of a dual BIOS is a bad move. It was a bad move in the Vega FE, it is even worse a move here as it precludes the FE from being the single exception to an adhered rule. This was an AMD staple, this was convenience and/or QoL, this was an affirmation of their sticking to their 'mentality'. It should not have been absent, am not liking this.

Pride, honour and purity.

Last edited by Aenra; 01-26-2019 at 05:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 06:36 AM
Skating Enthusiast

Rep: 146 (Unique: 117)
I would like to see the price of Vega 64 drop a bit more in Australia ($750 for the ROG Strix)... not sure if the release of this will have any affect on that.

Kasuf
(9 items)
CPU
Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard
MSI Tomahawk B450
GPU
ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Power Supply
Corsair HX750i
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W
Monitor
LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98)
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 07:55 AM
Optics Fiend

Rep: 81 (Unique: 66)
I understand this card is expensive to produce but given the mindshare issue they already face and it equals at best a 2080 according to their own benchmarks do they think it will really sell that well? I feel like if they had launched at $500 it would sell like crazy. Or people would wait for Nvidia to lower prices.

Green Envy
(12 items)
Purple Haze
(12 items)
CPU
i7-3770k @ 4.5ghz
Motherboard
Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3
GPU
EVGA 780 Classified
GPU
EVGA 780 Classified
RAM
16GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 2133
Hard Drive
WD Raptor
Power Supply
Seasonic 850w M12II
Cooling
Cooler Master Glacer 240L
Case
Phantek Enthoo Pro
Operating System
Windows 7 64-Bit Home premium
Monitor
Asus VG248QE
Keyboard
Logitech G15
CPU
Ryzen R5 1600x
Motherboard
Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX
GPU
Diamond 7970
RAM
G Skill DDR4 3200
Hard Drive
Western Digital Black
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Cooler Master Glacer 240L
Cooling
Black Ice Nemesis L-Series 240 Stealth
Cooling
EK-FC7970 CSQ
Cooling
Mayhems X1 UV Purple
Case
Fractal Design Define S Nano
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 08:09 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 12 (Unique: 12)
I don't know what kind of driver optimizations are possible between the announcement earlier this month and release date. I think what we want to see at the least is the VII consistently outperforming the 2080, even if it's only by a few frames... that way it would be 'market-conform', however disappointing that market may be. If it fails to do that, it may still be suitable for those that for whatever content-creating reason need 16GiB HBM2 or die-hard AMD users/people who simply loathe Nvidia.

As for me, I don't know. I'm on a five years old 290 and at the moment there is nothing I'd want to play which I currently can't. Then again, the last time I upgraded a videocard because I couldn't play some video-game is quite some time ago. Getting something like this would be more of a hobby thing to me.

There is one thing I'm sure of though: no waterblock means no VII. On an unrelated note, it's a bit shorter than I expected it to be, which I do not dislike.

Monolith
(15 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard
ASRock X370 Taichi
GPU
VII
RAM
G.Skill Flare X F4-3200C14D-16GFX
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung HD103SJ 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung HD204UI 2TB
Hard Drive
Western Digital RED WD40EFRX 4 TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO 1TB
Power Supply
Seasonic PRIME Ultra 850
Cooling
EK Supremacy EVO
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Primo
Keyboard
Filco Majestouch 2
Mouse
Logitech MX ERGO
▲ hide details ▲
post #5 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 10:57 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 339 (Unique: 240)
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackops_2 View Post
I understand this card is expensive to produce but given the mindshare issue they already face and it equals at best a 2080 according to their own benchmarks do they think it will really sell that well? I feel like if they had launched at $500 it would sell like crazy. Or people would wait for Nvidia to lower prices.
It's a weird product because the chip and card are designed for professional/business use, they only made this consumer version and likely at a loss per each unit sold due to their new RTG leader who has also been let go. There is a whole story about this you can find and read, what the plans were, how many they were producing and how they changed the production numbers and why this consumer card was created. It never should have existed for consumers really, not because it's bad but because it's expensive to make and it's target users are different. Considering the person responsible was let go/fired/what ever you want to call it, at least someone at AMD understood the implications of this product and did something about it, unfortunately a bit too late to stop the train so I think they will be selling these for a while at a loss and then stop altogether especially when Navi launches. Leaving people to buy the pro card if they want a 16GB HBM2 Vega on 7nm.

People at both AMD and Ngreedia get scared at times of competition and do stupid decisions when it comes to launching products, products that exist only to "fill in", to "have something", ... even if that product isn't profitable.

It's an impressive card, the HBM cards usually are, performance may be decent but it's a card that essentially is what Vega64 should have been years ago. Today... it's OK if it competes with 2080/1080Ti but it will likely not be a better value than those considering all features of all these cards.
They can't compete on price with HBM cards vs GDDR.
post #6 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 12:48 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 134 (Unique: 104)
I like the look of these cards. I wish they came in black.
post #7 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 02:12 PM
PC Enthusiast

Rep: 30 (Unique: 30)
Nvidia is choosing to force RT cores on us and make us pay for it, while AMD is using the money to make us a faster card and not really profiting from it.. so I don't see any reason that AMD should get as much flak as Nvidia is. With this card nvidia now has competition at most price points below 1000 USD, I don't think it matters much that they have a 2080ti for titan++ money really.

post #8 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 04:05 PM
Professional Proletariat

Rep: 478 (Unique: 192)
Well you said it yourself, if this launched at $500 people would just wait for nVidia to drop prices, so AMD figured why bother.

- 4930K @ 4.5 GHz | Asus X79-Deluxe
- MSi 980 Ti Gaming @ 1500/8000
- 4x4 GB Dominator Platinum 2400 MHz
- 2x 850 Pro 2TB
- Seasonic PRIME Titanium 850W
- Phanteks Enthoo Primo
- Custom watercooling (420+360+240)
- XB270HU 27" 1440p 144Hz IPS
post #9 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 04:22 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 94 (Unique: 48)
Any word on when the customs are set to arrive? Likely several weeks after these ref models launch, so probably March if we're lucky.

* Ryzen 7 2700X * Gigabyte Aorus X370 Gaming 5 *16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4 3200Mhz memory * 500GB Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2/500GB Crucial BX300
EVGA FTW2 1070 Ti * NZXT S340 Elite White
post #10 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 06:00 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 108 (Unique: 84)
Quote: Originally Posted by Shatun-Bear View Post
Any word on when the customs are set to arrive? Likely several weeks after these ref models launch, so probably March if we're lucky.
Seeing as how they've ditched blower style coolers there's little disadvantage to just get the reference cards now. A custom AIB card would need a better PCB and stronger components to outperform these ref models and even then it won't be a huge difference.

I'm just wondering why we can't have a sexy sticker of ruby on the backplate seeing as how there are too many fans to put it on the front now, that was one fad i'd like to see come back

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in