[TH]Asus Dominus Extreme Listed for $1,800, Xeon W-3175X $2,979 on Newegg - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[TH]Asus Dominus Extreme Listed for $1,800, Xeon W-3175X $2,979 on Newegg

post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 02:17 AM
New to Overclock.net
SpacemanSpliff Level 1

Location: "...somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert..."
Quote: Originally Posted by jakegarr View Post
This is a cool idea, and I love its low price. I just don't know how the chip could be cooled though. I can keep FX at 1.7 Vcore below 0c max core temp very easy 24/7 with nothing fancy, 500w is not exactly difficult to cool. This chip however... Wow, I really don't think a single stage would be enough, I think you'd honestly have to move to cascade (even including the internationally banned Freon gases, I don't think anything less than a 3 HP compressor would cut it, and even then you might hit above 0c)... ...Cool concept, but too difficult for normal people to actually run well since they don't have extreme coolers, and (joking, I think this thing would start blowing liquid nitrogen out of the cup if you really cranked it). You really would go through a ton of LN2 per week (I do mean literally over 2000 pounds, probably around 100 hour mark, or 4 days full operation assuming it burns 10L/hour of LN2)... ...I don't care about the electric bill, but my goodness, I don't have access to that much LN2 or no someone that can make a monster cascade for $5k (or even more, I flat out don't know any custom builders). Power is never a big concern for me, but heat density is, that thing would be like cooling a small sun. Spread it out with 4 GPUs, and that's fine, but on 1 chip? Ludicrous! (hence I love it)
Lulz... But who cares about all that... peeps just wants it. So they can build the Mother of All Minecraft Rigs!

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Spacem...f/saved/RrHCbv

PS... I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be able to play Crysis 3 on Ultra settings though...

The Spaceman abides... thumb.gif

A right understanding that death is nothing to us makes the mortality of life enjoyable, not because it adds to it an infinite span of time, but because it takes away the craving for immortality. For there is nothing terrible in life for the man who has truly comprehended that there is nothing terrible in not living. ~Epicurus

Last edited by SpacemanSpliff; 02-06-2019 at 02:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 05:06 AM
Hardware Princess
Hydroplane Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by jakegarr View Post
This is a cool idea, and I love its low price. I just don't know how the chip could be cooled though. I can keep FX at 1.7 Vcore below 0c max core temp very easy 24/7 with nothing fancy, 500w is not exactly difficult to cool. This chip however... Wow, I really don't think a single stage would be enough, I think you'd honestly have to move to cascade (even including the internationally banned Freon gases, I don't think anything less than a 3 HP compressor would cut it, and even then you might hit above 0c). Its really cool board as well, as I love the behemoth VRM, and I have nothing against duel PSU (my main system is TR with 4x Fury, so obviously I run 2x SuperNova 1300s since they are dirt cheap).

Cool concept, but too difficult for normal people to actually run well since they don't have extreme coolers, and (joking, I think this thing would start blowing liquid nitrogen out of the cup if you really cranked it). You really would go through a ton of LN2 per week (I do mean literally over 2000 pounds, probably around 100 hour mark, or 4 days full operation assuming it burns 10L/hour of LN2). That would be absolute madness to try to do... Also extremely expensive. You'd definitely just want triple stage at that point, your cooler after a couple weeks would pay for itself!

I don't care about the electric bill, but my goodness, I don't have access to that much LN2 or no someone that can make a monster cascade for $5k (or even more, I flat out don't know any custom builders). Power is never a big concern for me, but heat density is, that thing would be like cooling a small sun.
Spread it out with 4 GPUs, and that's fine, but on 1 chip? Ludicrous! (hence I love it)
It probably would not be that much worse than 7980XE, for example. The heat transfer is mostly limited going from the die -> internal thermal paste (whether you replace it or not) -> IHS. I guess there is also the option of running direct die, which may help a little. Phase change would work, it would just run slightly hotter. Intel was able to use a Hailea HC-2200BH (2HP) chiller on theirs to get it up to 5 GHz on 28 cores and stable enough that they wouldn't embarrass themselves. The min water temp on the Hailea is 4c unless modified to run continuously. Wonder if Intel delidded their own chip? lol

Correction: It was a Hailea HC-1000 (1 HP chiller)

CHILLER DESTRUCTION
Build Log - White Voodoo
White Voodoo
(14 items)
ThinkPad W520
(8 items)
CPU
Intel Core i9-7980XE @ 4.3 GHz 1.10v
Motherboard
Asus Rampage VI Apex
GPU
Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080 Ti SLI 2037/6318 1.09V
RAM
G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL14
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Evo 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA 1600 T2
Cooling
HWLabs Nemesis GTR 420+280 Rads
Cooling
(7) Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM Fans
Cooling
EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM
Case
LD Cooling PC-V7 280/420
Operating System
Windows 10 LTSB
Operating System
Linux Mint 19.1
Monitor
NEC PA271W 2560x1440
Keyboard
Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2
CPU
Dual Intel Xeon L5520 2.26 GHz
RAM
48 GB Samsung DDR3-1066
Hard Drive
120 GB Samsung 750 Evo SSD
Hard Drive
2 TB Western Digital Green
Hard Drive
2 TB Hitachi 7200 RPM
Power Supply
650W Delta PSU
Case
1U Rackmount
Operating System
Ubuntu Server 16.04
CPU
Core i7 2720QM @ 2.2 GHz
GPU
Quadro 1000M
RAM
8GB DDR3-1333
Hard Drive
500GB 7200RPM
Optical Drive
DVD-RW
Power Supply
170W Brick
Operating System
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
Monitor
1920x1080 Matte 15.6"
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Hydroplane; 02-06-2019 at 05:12 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in