[TomsHardware] Softbank Sells Entire $3.6 Billion Nvidia Investment - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[TomsHardware] Softbank Sells Entire $3.6 Billion Nvidia Investment

post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 11:24 PM
New to Overclock.net
battlenut Level 1

Softbank is one of the 3 Japanese mobile carriers being NTT docomo, au by KDDI Softbank (formerly Vodafone, and before that J-phone). I personally never used Softbank, There service is sketchy over here sometimes. But they do make a lot of money. It is the only mobile carrier on Yokosuka naval base.

CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X Processor
Mobo: Asrock X399 Taichi
VGA: ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
RAM: G-Skill 3200 RipJaws F4-3200C16-16GVK
Storage: Samsung M.2 850 EVO 1TB
PSU: EVGA Super Nova 1000 G 120-g1-1000
Cooling: Custom Loop

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 11:36 PM
sudo apt install sl
WannaBeOCer is an unknown quantity at this point WannaBeOCer is an unknown quantity at this point

Can't find the news about hardware in the article.

Maximus
(18 items)
CPU
Core i7 6700K 4.8Ghz @ 1.4v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Radeon RX VEGA 64 @ 1750/1105Mhz with 1175Mv
RAM
G-Skill 32GB 3200Mhz
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 2TB Raid 0
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
EK-FC Radeon Vega
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 11:54 PM
New to Overclock.net
SHNS0 Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by bigjdubb View Post
Is Softbank in financial trouble?
No. On the contrary they are printing money.

I'm very very new to the whole investment industry and from what I understand Softbank is a really big player in this space, one that's very worth having as your partner.
And here you have a top investment firm telling every other small investor in the world that they've given up on the company.
Dumping a 5% stake of a company big as this is not something one does lightheartly. It's pretty much one of the biggest FU's one could ever send.

Anybody who knows this space better feel free to correct me, that's what I understood from it.

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking." - Henry Ford
Main PC
(11 items)
CPU
i5 8600k
Motherboard
Asrock Z370 Fatal1ty ITX
GPU
EVGA GTX 980 Ti Kingpin
RAM
Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 16GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 250GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Evo 250GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Custom Watercooling
Case
Phanteks Shift X
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Alienware AW3418DW 120hz 34" 3440x1440 IPS
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 01:09 AM
French loving Japan!
nolive721 Level 1

arrived in Japan 11yrs ago and was quite shocked at the monopoly local phone carriers have and the way they trapped, still are, customers within their ecosystem.

Less so with DOCOMO, somehow, as they are under the umbrella of the main public telecommunication company NTT (Japan telegraph&telephone) but with SOFTBANK, price plans were and still are outrageous (data and phone costs) compared to Europe so no wonder that they have plenty of money to invest.And phones are locked so you cant easily move to another operator.

they used to have Iphone exclusivity until 2yrs ago and I had no other choice then contract them for the american company office I manage here so they cashed in also a lot of money with Apple products adopters in Japan at the time.little bit less now that there is competition with other companies selling Iphones contracts.

I remember they bought Spring in the US a while ago and made investments in Uber (oops...) I think in 2017

they might be p***d at what NVIDIA had forgotten to share though,I bet some firm lawyers are lining at teh gate of their HQ to recover some of the loss here

PC GAMING AEROCOOL P7 C1 WHITE VERSION CPU RYZEN 5 [email protected] 4Ghz/1.45V CPU cooler ID COOLING FROSTFLOW+ SNOW EDITION MB ASROCK B350 PRO4 GPU EVGA 1080TI FTW3 HYBRID 2088Mhz core RAM CORSAIR LPX 16Gb @ 3066Mhz WINDOWS 10 PRO NVME PATRIOT BOOT DRIVE
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 02:54 AM
New to Overclock.net
Baasha is an unknown quantity at this point Baasha is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote: Originally Posted by SHNS0 View Post
No. On the contrary they are printing money.

I'm very very new to the whole investment industry and from what I understand Softbank is a really big player in this space, one that's very worth having as your partner.
And here you have a top investment firm telling every other small investor in the world that they've given up on the company.
Dumping a 5% stake of a company big as this is not something one does lightheartly. It's pretty much one of the biggest FU's one could ever send.

Anybody who knows this space better feel free to correct me, that's what I understood from it.
Indeed. Troubled waters for Nvidia lie ahead. Their stock was ~ $290/share around Oct. 2018. It's now ~ $150/share.

Regarding big sell-offs, the 2001 dot-com bust was triggered by Ellison selling ~ $900M of Oracle stock - sending shockwaves in the markets and many companies worth hundreds of millions (a few more than a billion) vanished in record time.

Masayoshi Son is considered a genius and astute investor; if he's dumping NVDA, it's bad news. Period.
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 03:09 AM
New to Overclock.net
umeng2002 has a spectacular aura about umeng2002 has a spectacular aura about umeng2002 has a spectacular aura about umeng2002 has a spectacular aura about umeng2002 has a spectacular aura about umeng2002 has a spectacular aura about umeng2002 has a spectacular aura about umeng2002 has a spectacular aura about umeng2002 has a spectacular aura about umeng2002 has a spectacular aura about umeng2002 has a spectacular aura about

I guess they're feeling soft on nVidia banking them a profit...

imho, nVidia did this all to themselves... Not that they're in a particularly bad place with their market share and chip maker for the Nintendo Switch.

CPU
AMD Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard
Asus Prime X470-Pro
GPU
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 XC Ultra
RAM
TeamGroup T-Force 16 GB (2x8) Pro Dark (B-die TDPGD416G3200HC14ADC01)
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Platinum SSR-750PX
Cooling
Corsair H80i (not V2 or GT)
Monitor
LG 34UC80-B
Keyboard
Logitech G413
Mouse
Logitech G503 RGB
Audio
Creative SoundBlaster Z (OEM)
▲ hide details ▲
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 10:56 AM
MMO Enthusiast
luisxd Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
Can't find the news about hardware in the article.
Major hardware manufacturer and vendor lost one of it's principal investors..

Quote: Originally Posted by umeng2002 View Post
I guess they're feeling soft on nVidia banking them a profit...

imho, nVidia did this all to themselves... Not that they're in a particularly bad place with their market share and chip maker for the Nintendo Switch.

They are in a bad place, their stock fell almost 50% in ~4 months, they keep loosing market share against AMD, their last gen isn't selling as they expected, and they just lost one of their major investors.

My mods:
Corsair 300R Brushed Metal [MOD]
WoodBox [Scratch Build]
Dell Optiplex 170L 2.0 [MOD]
Old but Gold
(8 items)
CPU
QX9300
Motherboard
Dell
GPU
Nvidia Quadro FX3700M
RAM
Hynix
Hard Drive
Corsair Force 3
Case
Dell Precision M6400
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
17" WUXGA
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by ryan92084; 02-08-2019 at 05:20 AM.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 03:11 PM
New to Overclock.net
RamenRider Level 1

This is the best, most informative topic about the future of Nvidia.

Sucks for them, they had great a great origin, almost inspirational but I guess karma caught up with Jensen. When will karma catch up with Intel?

Redpilled Current Rig Ryzen 5-1600/XFX Black Edition RX-580/Asus x370 Pro-Gaming/Geil Super Luce 3000hz 16GB/
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 04:57 PM
Original 16-bit Genesis®
Omega X Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by RamenRider View Post
When will karma catch up with Intel?

Isn't that already happening?
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 11:56 AM
New to Overclock.net
b.walker36 is an unknown quantity at this point b.walker36 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you read the their actual earnings report they used the sale of a lot of the stock to pay off debts and they gave no actual reason to why they dumped the others. They also covered nearly all their loss with options trades. I mean its most likley they took it out of the fund becuase the expected growth was not there and would hurt their fund. It does not mean that Nvidia is in trouble. They could be but this from what I'm reading in their report doesn't mean too much yet other than they didn't expect enough from nvidia in the future to keep it in one of their funds.

They also sold them to someone else so clearly someone thinks there is still value.

Quote:Originally Posted by Clinic http://static.overclock.net//img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its a benchmark thread...if you want pics go look on newegg. Thats what the cards look like. They didn't secretly send me orange ones.
Darkness
(17 items)
CPU
Motherboard
asus z97-ar
GPU
gigabyte 980 ti g1 gaming
RAM
G-Skill Ripjaw
Hard Drive
WD Black
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 840
Power Supply
Seasonic 850w Platinum
Case
Corsair 600T SE
Operating System
Windows 8 Pro 64Bit
Monitor
Ultrasharp 27"
Monitor
HP W2338H 23"
Keyboard
Black Widow Ultimate
Mouse
Zowie EC2
Mouse
Zowie (Pure exellence)
Audio
dt880
Audio
sound blaster recon3d
Audio
swan m10
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in