[TechPowerUp] Thermaltake and Mayhems Fighting Over "Pastel" Trademark in the UK - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[TechPowerUp] Thermaltake and Mayhems Fighting Over "Pastel" Trademark in the UK

post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 05:28 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 56 (Unique: 50)
Quote: Originally Posted by GHADthc View Post
Lol...do people actually buy the trash that ThermalTake-others-hard-work peddle?
Some people have no other option, I for one live in japan. Shipping liquids is a NO NO.

CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X Processor
Mobo: Asrock X399 Taichi
VGA: ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
RAM: G-Skill 3200 RipJaws F4-3200C16-16GVK
Storage: Samsung M.2 850 EVO 1TB
PSU: EVGA Super Nova 1000 G 120-g1-1000
Cooling: Custom Loop

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 06:09 AM
Smug, Jaded, Enervated.

Rep: 94 (Unique: 60)
Quote: Originally Posted by battlenut View Post
Some people have no other option, I for one live in japan. Shipping liquids is a NO NO.
Wow, that sucks mate, bad luck...If I were you, I would just buy Distilled water, and put whatever additives I could get, as well as some sort of dye and call it a day (whatever you can get in mainland, that doesn't require overseas shipping that is).

Forever a WIP.
(15 items)
CPU
2700X (XFR2/PBO @ 4.25Ghz ).
Motherboard
Asus CH7 Wifi.
GPU
GTX 1080Ti w/ Raijintek Morpheus.
RAM
G.Skill Flare-X 16GB 3200C14 (Running @ 3466Mhz C15).
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (OS), Seagate Ironwolf Pro 6TB (250GB SSD partition+2GB Ram StoreMI setup), Kingston UV400 500GB SSD (half partitioned).
Power Supply
Silverstone Strider Gold 850W ST85F-GS.
Cooling
Stock cooling....(Custom loop build in progress).
Case
Silverstone TJ11 (Custom loop project)..currently in Lian Li V2000 Plus.
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro N.
Monitor
Catleap Yamakasi Q270B @ 110Hz.
Keyboard
Steelseries 6Gv2.
Mouse
Zowie EC2-A.
Mousepad
Puretrak Talent.
Audio
Burson Play, Monoprice Monolith M1060C, Rode NTA1 (With Rode arm), Behringer PS400.
Other
2060mm of radiators stuffed inside/outside a TJ11 in the works + 2x D5 strong, Koolance RP-452X2, Koolance CTR-CD1224, blocks, fittings etc etc...
▲ hide details ▲
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 03:13 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 56 (Unique: 50)
Quote: Originally Posted by GHADthc View Post
Wow, that sucks mate, bad luck...If I were you, I would just buy Distilled water, and put whatever additives I could get, as well as some sort of dye and call it a day (whatever you can get in mainland, that doesn't require overseas shipping that is).
how I got those two the mayhems a friend was stateside while he was furloughed and got the mayhems. I had to go to tokyo to get the thermaltake prior to him going to the states.

CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X Processor
Mobo: Asrock X399 Taichi
VGA: ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
RAM: G-Skill 3200 RipJaws F4-3200C16-16GVK
Storage: Samsung M.2 850 EVO 1TB
PSU: EVGA Super Nova 1000 G 120-g1-1000
Cooling: Custom Loop

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 03:55 AM
Overclocked

Rep: 115 (Unique: 82)
Quote: Originally Posted by magnek View Post
Thermalfake at it again.

Everything they make reeks of cheap, shoddiness, and blatant plagiarism. Why anybody would buy their junk is beyond me.
+1

ROG Maximus X Formula, Intel Core [email protected]/4.8Ghz Cache 1.344V (OCCT Load) (OCCT Stable), Corsair Dominator Platinum ROG Edition [email protected], EVGA GTX1070 SLI, Samsung 960 Pro x2 (Raid 0) (O/S), Samsung 850 Pro x4 (Raid 0) (Data)
ROG THOR 850W PSU, EK Custom Loop 2x PE-360 Radiators, Corsair ML120 Pro Fans, Phanteks Evolve X, Creative Soundblaster Z, Woo Audio WA7D, Sennheiser HD660S, ROG PG279Q 2560x1440 165Hz IPS Monitor, Windows 10 Pro Build 1809.
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 05:56 AM
Overclocker in training

Rep: 32 (Unique: 24)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
I've pantented all the colors, now pay!

What a stupid patent office allows such ridiculous patents?

Also breathing has been patented! You are all in violation of a patent.

The whole patent thing should be abolished ASAP. It's nothing more than trolling and paying lawyers. Best of all it hurts customers the most.
Hi,
Indeed they didn't invent a word they were just first to patent a word of which they shouldn't have any rights too.

Wonder if someone will patent Fake News

CPU
i9-7900x With evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
corsair 450D
Operating System
win-7 pro & 10 pro
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
redragon
CPU
i7-5930k with evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000w P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
win-7 and 10 pro
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
SMOK Alien 220w
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-3mg
▲ hide details ▲
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 06:50 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 283 (Unique: 208)
Quote: Originally Posted by ryan92084 View Post
He's been discussing it off and on since the 30th in the Mayhem's thread. https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-w...l#post27831866

I agree with not liking the trademarking of common works but if Mayhems hadn't done it then a another company would have and it would have left Mayhems defending . Alphacool/Aquatuning/Phobya did exactly that in 2009 and screwed over a bunch of watercooling companies https://www.techpowerup.com/96567/ge...ts-competitors
Yet we can buy all products just fine, what's worse is Asetek in US and a complete lack of anti trust/anti oligopoly/monopoly laws in US.

The problem with patents is that the workers and laws are useless, they will patent anything for a fee, ANYTHING, whether it has some significant invention or not and even if it is a new invention a competitor should be allowed to invent it on their own which does happen quite often in a worldwide setting. Meaning these "patents" should only protect against blatant copying.

Patenting common use words is beyond ridiculous, all that is is lining government's pockets with money for a seat at a court.
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 07:24 AM
News Fiend

Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
Yet we can buy all products just fine, what's worse is Asetek in US and a complete lack of anti trust/anti oligopoly/monopoly laws in US.

The problem with patents is that the workers and laws are useless, they will patent anything for a fee, ANYTHING, whether it has some significant invention or not and even if it is a new invention a competitor should be allowed to invent it on their own which does happen quite often in a worldwide setting. Meaning these "patents" should only protect against blatant copying.

Patenting common use words is beyond ridiculous, all that is is lining government's pockets with money for a seat at a court.
You are mixing up patenting and trademarking. This topic is about trademarks.

Patents gave us the dumb Apple v. Samsung fight over rounded corners.
Trademarks prevent Samsung from slapping a fruit on their phone and calling it an iPhone.

In this case Mayhems has a product line (not just a color) called pastel and TT has come out with a competing line and also called it pastel (again not just a color). TT could have called their line Milky and named a color pastel pink and Mayhems would have a much harder fight if they wanted to be trolly about it but that isn't what is going on.

Meh '12
(13 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
XFX Fury X
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 F4-3200C14D-16GTZSW
Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 970 PRO M.2 2280 512GB PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro-Series
Hard Drive
Seagate 4TB Enterprise NAS SATA (ST4000VN0001)
Hard Drive
WD Black 1TB Performance Desktop Hard Drive WD1003FZEX
Power Supply
SEASONIC PLATINUM-860 860W RT
Cooling
Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS Radiator x2
Cooling
Monsoon MMRS Reservoir + D5 pump + mountings
Cooling
XSPC Raystorm Neo Metal
Cooling
EKWB Fury X
Cooling
Monsoon Free Center 1/2ID 3/4OD fittings + Rotaries + plug + Temp probe
Cooling
BeQuiet SilentWings 3 High Speed PWM x 8
Case
Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG 27" IPS 27UK650
Keyboard
Massdrop CTRL
Mouse
Logitech g403
Mousepad
HAYATE KOU FX SOFT NINJA Black L
Audio
Blue Yeti Black
Audio
Massdrop x AKG K7XX
Other
LIAN LI O11D-1X ,Riser Cable and cover bracket for PC-O11D
CPU
i5 3570k
Motherboard
Z77x-UD5H
GPU
Zotac 670 GTX AMP!
RAM
G.Skill f3-2400c10D-16gtx
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 128GB
Optical Drive
Some old thing
Power Supply
Seasonic platinum 860w
Cooling
Custom water
Case
Customized Thermaltake Armor
Operating System
Win 10 pro
Monitor
Dell U2413
Keyboard
Ducky Shine
Mouse
Logi G502
▲ hide details ▲

post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 08:58 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 8)

Trademarks prevent Samsung from slapping a fruit on their phone and calling it an iPhone.

In this case Mayhems has a product line (not just a color) called pastel and TT has come out with a competing line and also called it pastel (again not just a color). TT could have called their line Milky and named a color pastel pink and Mayhems would have a much harder fight if they wanted to be trolly about it but that isn't what is going on.
I'm thinking about Apple the computer company and Apple the music label, or MS Windows. Not sure about other countries, but in US, if you don't defend your trademark, you lose it.

post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 06:27 AM
Not New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
If ThermalFake accepted Mayhems offer to donate +100 euros , for use of the "Pastel" trademark, then ThermalFake would have been admitting infringment on a trademark.
That's why that request never went past the lawyers I'm guessing.

post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 06:32 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 283 (Unique: 208)

True, very similar anyway. It's just trolling by companies and paying lawyers. If TT was trying to sell TT Mayhems Pastel, OK fine that's not OK but selling TT Pastel... why the hell not it's as if you couldn't sell TT Red because there is YouTube Red. Or BMW Pastel because there is Ford Pastel...
Pastel is too generic a word to be trademarked IMHO. But as it goes with this if companies have the $$$ to throw they go and trademark every name they can generate whether they use it or not.

Someone is going to trademark, probably already did, the whole color palette so they can sue everyone who tries to use it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in