[TechPowerUp] Thermaltake and Mayhems Fighting Over "Pastel" Trademark in the UK - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[TechPowerUp] Thermaltake and Mayhems Fighting Over "Pastel" Trademark in the UK

post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 09:52 AM
Indentified! On the Way!!

Rep: 150 (Unique: 112)
I like TT. Their cases are pretty good for the price you pay.

Trademarking a word like "Pastel" is beyond ridiculous.

I know everyone loves to hate "ThermalFake", but they provide solid products for reasonable prices, in general. I love my Tower 900. One of the absolute best cases I've ever worked with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 03:06 PM
It Just Works

Not much different from Bethesda thinking they own the word "Scrolls", or Apple at one point deluding themselves into thinking all rounded rectangles were their idea.

post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 03:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 439 (Unique: 336)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
True, very similar anyway. It's just trolling by companies and paying lawyers. If TT was trying to sell TT Mayhems Pastel, OK fine that's not OK but selling TT Pastel... why the hell not it's as if you couldn't sell TT Red because there is YouTube Red. Or BMW Pastel because there is Ford Pastel...
Pastel is too generic a word to be trademarked IMHO. But as it goes with this if companies have the $$$ to throw they go and trademark every name they can generate whether they use it or not.

Someone is going to trademark, probably already did, the whole color palette so they can sue everyone who tries to use it.
Yeah I think TT have every right to use Pastel for whatever use they want. Pastel is a very old and very generic description of a color range. If pastel can be trademarked effectively then by same logic terms like gloss, matte, neon ect. would be equally up for grabs and that would be beyond ridiculous.

The XFX 4890 post 2 year reference cooler fan bearing service
NZXT Tempest Community
[Worklog] NZXT Tempest eats a 360 rad (hopefully)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjas go_quote.gif

you under-estimate the power of e-peen, you'll whither and waiver to it's power, and finally succumb.
Bow to e-peen and buy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 03:16 PM

Rep: 126 (Unique: 79)
Quote: Originally Posted by TFL Replica View Post
Not much different from Bethesda thinking they own the word "Scrolls", or Apple at one point deluding themselves into thinking all rounded rectangles were their idea.
It's not the same actually, Bethesda bullied an indie developer who never intended to steal the name, but here we see big company just blatantly stealing a trademark from a small firm and thinking they can get away with it since they got an army of lawyers. So yeah, I think Mayhems is morally right on this one, and it's not an issue of "frivolous patents".

Main
(17 items)
Nintendo DS
(8 items)
CPU
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3
GPU
MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
RAM
G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3000
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
Hard Drive
WD Blue 3TB
Power Supply
EVGA 650 G2
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Cooling
Nanoxia Deep Silence 140mm
Cooling
Nanoxia Deep Silence 120mm
Case
Corsair 400Q
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS 1440p
Keyboard
Leopold FC750 (MX Brown)
Mouse
Logitech Performance Mouse MX
Audio
Mayflower Objective2 + ODAC Rev. B Combo
Audio
Audio-Technica ATH-A990Z
CPU
ARM946E-S 67.028 MHz
CPU
ARM7TDMI 33.514 MHz
RAM
4 MB
Hard Drive
256 kB
Power Supply
850 mAh
Operating System
DS OS
Monitor
3" 256×192 18-bit
Monitor
3" 256×192 18-bit
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by The Robot; 02-12-2019 at 03:20 PM.
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 03:51 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 439 (Unique: 336)
Quote: Originally Posted by The Robot View Post
It's not the same actually, Bethesda bullied an indie developer who never intended to steal the name, but here we see big company just blatantly stealing a trademark from a small firm and thinking they can get away with it since they got an army of lawyers. So yeah, I think Mayhems is morally right on this one, and it's not an issue of "frivolous patents".
First of all is important to understand that Bethesdas trade mark for Elders scroll is very valid and can be categorized as "suggestive words" as they are not directly related to computer games or even RPG's. What Bethesda did wrong was use it to go after someone who was using the name "Scrolls" something they had not trade marked.

The argument TT is doing in this case is argue that in the context of colored products the word "Pastel" is a generic word and in most countries generic words that name a product can't be trademarked.

And now for the kicker, and I'm mostly speculating here now as I'm not an expert.

Mayhems trademark UK00003129168 is for
Quote:
Class 1
Coolants;Chemical preparations for use as coolants;Concentrated cutting fluid coolants;Coolants (anti-boil preparations for engine-);Coolants for vehicle radiators;Engine (coolants for vehicle -);Engine coolants;Machine coolants;Machining coolants;Vehicle engine coolants;Anti-boil preparations for engine coolants;Coolants (Anti-boil preparations for engine -);Engine coolants (Anti-boil preparations for -);Coolants for vehicle engines;Engines (Coolants for vehicle -);Vehicle engines (Coolants for -).
So perhaps whoever issued the trademark didn't consider the color of a coolant to be of an descriptive attribute so they treated the word Pastel as they would have any other none relevant word like for example "vivid" or "fresh". I don't think anyone would have been silly enough to approve trademarking the word pastel in the context that is was a paint or dye.

The XFX 4890 post 2 year reference cooler fan bearing service
NZXT Tempest Community
[Worklog] NZXT Tempest eats a 360 rad (hopefully)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjas go_quote.gif

you under-estimate the power of e-peen, you'll whither and waiver to it's power, and finally succumb.
Bow to e-peen and buy.
post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 05:15 PM
BOINC Cruncher

Rep: 94 (Unique: 63)
The color Pastel wasn't trademarked, the Product line called "Pastel" was. Mayhems doesn't use "Pastel" to describe the color of the product they sell, "Pastel" is the name of the product.

Would someone be able to build a computer and call it an Apple or Macintosh even though it's a fruit that's existed for thousands of years?

Team Boinc! - Forum Folding War Team
Gentoo Linux - Telemetry Free Since 1999!
Washington Capitals 2018 Stanley Cup Champions
Boinc Desktop
(15 items)
CrunchAholic
(8 items)
NAS
(7 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
Motherboard
ASRock X370 Taichi
GPU
AMD Radeon VII
RAM
HyperX Predator
Hard Drive
Hyper Predator M.2
Power Supply
EVGA 850 G2
Cooling
Watercool Heatkiller IV PRO AM4 CPU Block
Cooling
EKWB Coolstream XE 240 Radiator
Cooling
EKWB Coolstream PE 360 Radiator
Cooling
Watercool Heatkiller 150mm Tube Res
Case
Thermaltake View 31 Tempered Glass RGB Edition
Operating System
Gentoo Linux
Monitor
Alienware AW3418DW
Keyboard
Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
CPU
Intel Xeon E5-2670
CPU
Intel Xeon E5-2670
Motherboard
Asrock Rack EP2C602
RAM
64 GBs Samsung M939B1K70CHD-CH9 PC3-10600R
Hard Drive
Samsung HD322HJ
Power Supply
Corsair AX1200
Case
Rosewill RSV-L4000
Operating System
Gentoo Linux
CPU
i3-4130T
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-H97N-WIFI
RAM
CORSAIR CMX16GX3M2A1600C11
Hard Drive
Western Digital Red 10 TB x3
Hard Drive
Western Digital Red 8 TB
Case
Fractal Design Node 804
Operating System
Gentoo Linux
▲ hide details ▲

post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 01:20 AM
mfw

Rep: 362 (Unique: 191)
Quote: Originally Posted by The Robot View Post
Perhaps TT also didn't intend to steal the name, either...

As for the "morally right" comment in the context of business, hah! That's cute.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Corepadded Logitech G703
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (B pads)
▲ hide details ▲
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 05:16 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 293 (Unique: 214)
Quote: Originally Posted by LancerVI View Post
I like TT. Their cases are pretty good for the price you pay.

Trademarking a word like "Pastel" is beyond ridiculous.

I know everyone loves to hate "ThermalFake", but they provide solid products for reasonable prices, in general. I love my Tower 900. One of the absolute best cases I've ever worked with.
TT has been around for decades with often lower price bracket products but even more pricey ones.
Plus if one wants a case similar to Caselab's what are they going to buy? A Caselab case? LOL was barely available with endless waiting times, people fed up with them constantly until they called it quits despite the company supposedly being in business for decades making industrial cases? Yet few years after making consumer retail available cases they go bust? Thermaltake didn't do them in nor did tariffs, they did themselves in with debt and unable to adapt to a changing market.

Quote: Originally Posted by Diffident View Post
The color Pastel wasn't trademarked, the Product line called "Pastel" was. Mayhems doesn't use "Pastel" to describe the color of the product they sell, "Pastel" is the name of the product.

Would someone be able to build a computer and call it an Apple or Macintosh even though it's a fruit that's existed for thousands of years?
There is a difference between company name as in trying to sell "Apple iMac" and trying to sell a product named apple "Thermaltake Apple" and trying to sell "Thermaltake iMac".

All in all right now with this broken system of trademarks and patents it's all about how much $$$ does a company want to throw at these trademark/patent offices to buy a seat at a court. That's all it is in the end. There is even a whole market for it where companies buy and sell these sort of rights for profit and for the ability to sue someone no matter how vaguely similar it may be to something someone else does. Whole companies exist for this purpose only
post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 08:52 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 57 (Unique: 51)
It sucks, but we have let the copyright dumb stuff. So if I created a game called "old people scrolls". I could be sued?

CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X Processor
Mobo: Asrock X399 Taichi
VGA: Asrock Phantom Gaming Radeon VII
RAM: G-Skill 3200 RipJaws F4-3200C16-16GVK
Storage: Samsung M.2 850 EVO 1TB
PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra 1000 Platinum
Cooling: HeatKiller For CPU & Bykski for GPU

post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 10:26 PM

Rep: 126 (Unique: 79)
Quote: Originally Posted by battlenut View Post
It sucks, but we have let the copyright dumb stuff. So if I created a game called "old people scrolls". I could be sued?
And you can't call it "Prey on the weak" too. But of course, people defending ThermalFakers won't see any difference.
https://www.pcgamer.com/bethesda-executive-responds-to-prey-for-the-gods-trademark-dispute/

Main
(17 items)
Nintendo DS
(8 items)
CPU
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3
GPU
MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
RAM
G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3000
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
Hard Drive
WD Blue 3TB
Power Supply
EVGA 650 G2
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Cooling
Nanoxia Deep Silence 140mm
Cooling
Nanoxia Deep Silence 120mm
Case
Corsair 400Q
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS 1440p
Keyboard
Leopold FC750 (MX Brown)
Mouse
Logitech Performance Mouse MX
Audio
Mayflower Objective2 + ODAC Rev. B Combo
Audio
Audio-Technica ATH-A990Z
CPU
ARM946E-S 67.028 MHz
CPU
ARM7TDMI 33.514 MHz
RAM
4 MB
Hard Drive
256 kB
Power Supply
850 mAh
Operating System
DS OS
Monitor
3" 256×192 18-bit
Monitor
3" 256×192 18-bit
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in