[Techpowerup] NVIDIA DLSS and its Surprising Resolution Limitations - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Techpowerup] NVIDIA DLSS and its Surprising Resolution Limitations

post #1 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 132 (Unique: 84)
[Techpowerup] NVIDIA DLSS and its Surprising Resolution Limitations

https://www.techpowerup.com/252550/n...on-limitations

Quote:
Representatives for the company told us that DLSS is most effective when the GPU is at maximum work load, such that if a GPU is not being challenged enough, DLSS is not going to be made available.
This is the final nail in the coffin.
My primary complaint with DLSS is that the existence of the Tenser Cores on a chip where you are not going to be using Ray Tracing is fundamentally wasteful, that Silicon Area should just be used for more CUDA cores and Nvidia needs to have a high end GTX card available.
Secondly we have seen that basic up-scaling gives almost exactly the same benefits as DLSS, but does so without any need for extra hardware: https://www.techspot.com/article/1712-nvidia-dlss/

Still the idea of DLSS has been lucrative, a 50% boost to framerate with only a small cost to image quality. Many people would have gladly taken that compromise to reach higher framerates...

Only today we find out that DLSS is itself a bottleneck to reaching higher framerates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 05:40 PM
sudo apt install sl

Rep: 143 (Unique: 104)
Those Tensor cores are there for creative developers not just DLSS. They finally have the hardware they just have to put it to use.

Maximus
(22 items)
CPU
Core i7 6700K 4.8Ghz @ 1.4v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Radeon VII @ 2100Mhz/1200Mhz w/ 1150mV
RAM
G-Skill 32GB 3200Mhz
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector Radeon VII - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Kubuntu 18.04.1
Operating System
Hackintosh macOS 10.14.3
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 06:02 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 164 (Unique: 103)
I still don't know why nVidia can't train with every single game in existence and apply DLSS for everything. That theory that nVidia doesn't want the tensor cores to be the bottleneck makes sense. What's the point of using it when a rendered frame is delayed waiting for the tensor cores to DLSS-it-up. That said, why didn't nVidia make a card where that limitation even has a realistic chance of happening?

Maybe nVidia should have just included it in their "ray-tracing" package and not separated the technology at all.

Early adopter quirks to say the least... pay a premium price for beta features.

CPU
AMD Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard
Asus Prime X470-Pro
GPU
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 XC Ultra
RAM
TeamGroup T-Force 16 GB (2x8) Pro Dark (B-die TDPGD416G3200HC14ADC01)
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Platinum SSR-750PX
Cooling
Corsair H80i (not V2 or GT)
Monitor
LG 34UC80-B
Keyboard
Logitech G413
Mouse
Logitech G503 RGB
Audio
Creative SoundBlaster Z (OEM)
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 06:51 PM
Waiting for 10 and 7nm

Rep: 870 (Unique: 494)
This has all the hallmarks of a niche solution that will be dropped in a few years. It sounds like SLI actually, it needs profiles provided by Nvidia to work, it doesn't support all games and even in the ones that are supported, your mileage may vary. In this case you may not be able to enable it at all depending on the specific RTX card you're using and the resolution you want to play at.

I still want to see the games that support 4K DLSS tested at 1800p + TAA + Upscaling for comparison. Add that in and DLSS becomes even more of a niche feature. 1800p + TAA + Upscaling is a much more universal solution than DLSS will ever be. And you certainly don't need profiles downloaded through GFE to make it work.

The Tensor cores' main job is as a ray tracing denoiser, DLSS is just a way for Nvidia to get more people to register on GFE with their e-mail, but considering the limited horsepower of the combined RT + Tensor solution I wonder if all that die space was used by raster cores if the game devs couldn't have made the ray tracing enabled games look equally good by having more horsepower dedicated to reflections, even when it means duplicating renderings, but it still means that it's general raster hardware doing it, meaning that it can be used elsewhere on the game when needed, it's much more versatile. And from what we are seeing with the new Metro game, making things more realistic doesn't always work in a way that makes a game better gameplay-wise.

Also, they could use Voxel Global Illumination (VXGI) to achieve some of the effects, that is a tech that Nvidia introduced with Maxwell in 2014, so we've got three Nvidia consumer archs capable of doing it:

Is your CPU bottlenecking your GPU ? Find out: CPU and GPU usage along with FPS in-game
Read my reviews here.
Clubs (founder): The rare / unusual CPU club
Clubs (member): Corsair Professional HX / AX Series PSU Owners Club || The Official Cooler Master HAF X/932/922/912(+) Club
CPU
Core i7-3820
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth X79
GPU
MSI GTX 1060 6 GB Gaming X
RAM
16 GB Corsair DDR3 1866 Mhz Dominator
Hard Drive
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + WD Caviar Black 2TB
Optical Drive
Sony Optiarc DVD-RW
Power Supply
Corsair AX750 Professional Modular 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Corsair A70 + Noiseblocker M12-P
Case
Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Monitor
BenQ RL2455HM
Keyboard
Cooler Master Octane
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by tpi2007; 02-14-2019 at 07:33 PM.
post #5 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 07:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 43 (Unique: 37)
They speculate about how the tensor cores are too slow to run on each frame if the framerate is high, but DLSS is marketed as a fast AA (SS) solution. If that's true DLSS's goal and it's implementation contradict itself. It's quite a blunder considering it also look like garbage. Those RTX cards are an erxpensive trainwreck and their main features are pretty overwhelming.
post #6 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 07:23 PM
sudo apt install sl

Rep: 143 (Unique: 104)
TPUs are scary and I can't wait until they are properly used in games.

https://github.com/NVlabs/stylegan

Maximus
(22 items)
CPU
Core i7 6700K 4.8Ghz @ 1.4v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Radeon VII @ 2100Mhz/1200Mhz w/ 1150mV
RAM
G-Skill 32GB 3200Mhz
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector Radeon VII - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Kubuntu 18.04.1
Operating System
Hackintosh macOS 10.14.3
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲
post #7 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 07:56 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post
This has all the hallmarks of a niche solution that will be dropped in a few years. It sounds like SLI actually, it needs profiles provided by Nvidia to work, it doesn't support all games and even in the ones that are supported, your mileage may vary. In this case you may not be able to enable it at all depending on the specific RTX card you're using and the resolution you want to play at.

I still want to see the games that support 4K DLSS tested at 1800p + TAA + Upscaling for comparison. Add that in and DLSS becomes even more of a niche feature. 1800p + TAA + Upscaling is a much more universal solution than DLSS will ever be. And you certainly don't need profiles downloaded through GFE to make it work.

The Tensor cores' main job is as a ray tracing denoiser, DLSS is just a way for Nvidia to get more people to register on GFE with their e-mail, but considering the limited horsepower of the combined RT + Tensor solution I wonder if all that die space was used by raster cores if the game devs couldn't have made the ray tracing enabled games look equally good by having more horsepower dedicated to reflections, even when it means duplicating renderings, but it still means that it's general raster hardware doing it, meaning that it can be used elsewhere on the game when needed, it's much more versatile. And from what we are seeing with the new Metro game, making things more realistic doesn't always work in a way that makes a game better gameplay-wise.

Also, they could use Voxel Global Illumination (VXGI) to achieve some of the effects, that is a tech that Nvidia introduced with Maxwell in 2014, so we've got three Nvidia consumer archs capable of doing it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E1oVl2d01Q
Did I miss something? Where has it been stated that you need GFE for DLSS to work?

CPU
AMD Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard
Asus Prime X470-Pro
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB
Power Supply
Cooling
Monitor
LG 34UC80-B
Keyboard
Logitech G413
Mouse
Logitech G503 RGB
Audio
▲ hide details ▲
post #8 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 08:08 PM
Waiting for 10 and 7nm

Rep: 870 (Unique: 494)
Quote: Originally Posted by umeng2002 View Post
Did I miss something? Where has it been stated that you need GFE for DLSS to work?

https://techreport.com/review/34095/...architecture/3
Quote:
DLSS is just one product of what Nvidia calls the Neural Graphics Framework, or NGX. NGX provides an API to game developers that exposes several AI models, or "neural services," to game engines for use on client PCs. Nvidia pre-trains NGX models in its own data centers and provides them to end users as "neural services" by way of GeForce Experience.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...ed,5801-5.html
Quote:
While we hoped Nvidia's GeForce Experience (GFE) software wouldn't be a requisite of DLSS, we suspected it probably would be. Sure enough, the company confirmed that the features of NGX are tightly woven into GFE. If the software detects a Turing-based GPU, it downloads a package called NGX Core, which determines if games/apps are relevant to NGX. When there's a match, NGX Core retrieves any associated deep neural networks for later use.

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphi...Tracing-and-DL
Quote:
This neural network model is then distributed via GeForce Experience to end users who have a GPU with tensor cores and have the given game installed. This distribution model is vital as it allows NVIDIA to silently update the model in the background as they come up with improvements as they get more experience and come up with better techniques.

Is your CPU bottlenecking your GPU ? Find out: CPU and GPU usage along with FPS in-game
Read my reviews here.
Clubs (founder): The rare / unusual CPU club
Clubs (member): Corsair Professional HX / AX Series PSU Owners Club || The Official Cooler Master HAF X/932/922/912(+) Club
CPU
Core i7-3820
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth X79
GPU
MSI GTX 1060 6 GB Gaming X
RAM
16 GB Corsair DDR3 1866 Mhz Dominator
Hard Drive
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + WD Caviar Black 2TB
Optical Drive
Sony Optiarc DVD-RW
Power Supply
Corsair AX750 Professional Modular 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Corsair A70 + Noiseblocker M12-P
Case
Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Monitor
BenQ RL2455HM
Keyboard
Cooler Master Octane
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane
▲ hide details ▲

post #9 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 08:18 PM
Zen

Rep: 50 (Unique: 33)
Quote: Originally Posted by kingduqc View Post
They speculate about how the tensor cores are too slow to run on each frame if the framerate is high, but DLSS is marketed as a fast AA (SS) solution. If that's true DLSS's goal and it's implementation contradict itself. It's quite a blunder considering it also look like garbage. Those RTX cards are an erxpensive trainwreck and their main features are pretty overwhelming.
That would defeat the purpose of DLSS, since its purpose is to improve the performance on game on high resolution while minimizing the loss of quality vs native resolution. If you are already running high framerate on native resolution, you wouldn't need DLSS.

My home PC
(15 items)
CPU
AMD Threadripper 1950x
Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus X399 Gaming 7
GPU
EVGA Geforce RTX 2080 Ti XC Ultra
RAM
G.Skill DDR4 3600 CL16
Hard Drive
Samsung Evo 840 500GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro 500GB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova G2 1300W
Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S TR4
Case
Corsair Carbide Air 540
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Dell U2711
Monitor
Samsung 55" 4k
Keyboard
Corsair K70
Mouse
Logitech G502
Audio
Denon AVR-X3300W
▲ hide details ▲
post #10 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 08:42 PM
New to Overclock.net

That's odd since it works in BFV for me without GFE installed.

CPU
AMD Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard
Asus Prime X470-Pro
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB
Power Supply
Cooling
Monitor
LG 34UC80-B
Keyboard
Logitech G413
Mouse
Logitech G503 RGB
Audio
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in