[G3D] Intel Buys Indian Startup To Gain Discrete GPU Tech Expertise - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[G3D] Intel Buys Indian Startup To Gain Discrete GPU Tech Expertise

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
Performance is the bible

Rep: 432 (Unique: 298)
[G3D] Intel Buys Indian Startup To Gain Discrete GPU Tech Expertise

source
Quote:
A spokesperson for Intel tells the newspaper that his company has taken over the engineering resources of Ineda Systems, giving Intel an "experienced team in the field of socs to help build a business unit for loose GPUs."
Gude, who founded Ineda after he quit as AMD India managing director, remained an investor in Ineda though he went on to set up Invecas in 2014 and regained 100% stake in Ineda in Nov 2018. Intel, which has a few hundred engineers engaged in software development in Hyderabad, is also planning to set up a global technology centre in Hyderabad housing around 1,500 engineers initially, which may be ramped up to 5,000 people
Apparently intel are very serious about their GPU department.
Though considering this, apparently they don't have enough of the expertise to do so. This could mean that we won't see a GPU this year at least, but with so much manpower apparently going for it, I expect something big next year.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 07:49 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 108 (Unique: 63)
I almost forgot Raja is an indian.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 08:37 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 159 (Unique: 118)
If I'm understanding this correctly, this was a move by intel to help bolster the development of drivers for their gpu's rather than actual chip R&D, so it shouldn't have any effect on the slated 2019 GPU launch, but make it a lot smoother.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 08:49 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 293 (Unique: 214)
I don't expect a high performance Intel GPU anywhere sooner than 2020 at best. Not unless they steal chunk of the hardware design by the way they bought engineers over from AMD and elsewhere. 2021-2022 is more realistic. 3 years to develop and maybe even 1 year just to get and setup all the people they will need.

It's a shame that AMD/RTG has thrown in the towel in a way and keeps making maybe profitable or barely profitable products that do not help their brand image among customers. Good tech, poor execution, too late, not available, etc.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
Performance is the bible

Rep: 432 (Unique: 298)
Quote: Originally Posted by DNMock View Post
If I'm understanding this correctly, this was a move by intel to help bolster the development of drivers for their gpu's rather than actual chip R&D, so it shouldn't have any effect on the slated 2019 GPU launch, but make it a lot smoother.
it doesn't say that at all in the article.
It actually refers to a SoC, not drivers.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 02:23 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 159 (Unique: 118)
Quote: Originally Posted by Defoler View Post
it doesn't say that at all in the article.
It actually refers to a SoC, not drivers.

https://ineda-b6dd.kxcdn.com/wp-cont...l-latest-1.jpg

Their website shows them using a Qualcomm V2X processor to handle the I/O of the sensors for their self driving car tech.

How a gpu handles I/O would fall more on the side of the firmware and drivers, correct?

edit:

This is the part that made me think drivers initially

Quote:
Intel, which has a few hundred engineers engaged in software development in Hyderabad, is also planning to set up a global technology centre in Hyderabad housing around 1,500 engineers initially, which may be ramped up to 5,000 people
I read that as intel ramping up the count of engineers in software development to 5,000, but in hindsight that is probably wrong.

Last edited by DNMock; 02-18-2019 at 02:33 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 11:49 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 439 (Unique: 336)
Quote: Originally Posted by Defoler View Post
source

Apparently intel are very serious about their GPU department.
Though considering this, apparently they don't have enough of the expertise to do so. This could mean that we won't see a GPU this year at least, but with so much manpower apparently going for it, I expect something big next year.
Intel has been "very serious about their GPU department" for over a decade now but has still failed to produce any kind of competitive product for the GPU market and further more they are still way behind amd and nvidia as far as reliable drivers go.

Its good that they are trying to close the gap but I would not except them produce anything exciting any time soon.

The XFX 4890 post 2 year reference cooler fan bearing service
NZXT Tempest Community
[Worklog] NZXT Tempest eats a 360 rad (hopefully)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjas go_quote.gif

you under-estimate the power of e-peen, you'll whither and waiver to it's power, and finally succumb.
Bow to e-peen and buy.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 12:51 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 135 (Unique: 102)
Quote: Originally Posted by Bit_reaper View Post
Intel has been "very serious about their GPU department" for over a decade now but has still failed to produce any kind of competitive product for the GPU market and further more they are still way behind amd and nvidia as far as reliable drivers go.

Its good that they are trying to close the gap but I would not except them produce anything exciting any time soon.
Larrabee was terminated in 2010 so I wouldn't say that's true. Having trouble coming up with any other discrete GPUs they've made in that time frame.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 06:21 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 521 (Unique: 293)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
I don't expect a high performance Intel GPU anywhere sooner than 2020 at best. Not unless they steal chunk of the hardware design by the way they bought engineers over from AMD and elsewhere. 2021-2022 is more realistic. 3 years to develop and maybe even 1 year just to get and setup all the people they will need.

It's a shame that AMD/RTG has thrown in the towel in a way and keeps making maybe profitable or barely profitable products that do not help their brand image among customers. Good tech, poor execution, too late, not available, etc.
yep, people don't give the market the credit its due in regards to complexity. Intel has the upper hand, the money, the fabs, etc etc, but they DON'T HAVE THE EXPERIENCE, or decades of R&D into the topic like AMD & NV.

anyone expecting to migrate to the first intel GPU (Whenever it actually comes out, i've not seen an official slating for it) is in for a disappointment, unless they're just uber utter intel soyboys, or upgrading from a years old low tier GPU
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 07:52 AM
sudo apt install sl

Rep: 143 (Unique: 104)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post

RTG didn't give up, they are capturing market share in the areas that are profitable. Which are datacenters and mid range cards. High end cards aren't profitable and the R&D cost to stay competitive is way too high. RTG are focusing on Linux open source development and they're doing a fantastic job.

Maximus
(22 items)
CPU
Core i7 6700K 4.8Ghz @ 1.4v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Radeon VII @ 2100Mhz/1200Mhz w/ 1150mV
RAM
G-Skill 32GB 3200Mhz
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector Radeon VII - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Kubuntu 18.04.1
Operating System
Hackintosh macOS 10.14.3
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in