[The Register] SPOILER alert, literally: Intel CPUs afflicted with simple data-spewing spec-exec vulnerability - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[The Register] SPOILER alert, literally: Intel CPUs afflicted with simple data-spewing spec-exec vulnerability

post #21 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 07:24 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by guttheslayer View Post
There is a video that predict Intel will crush AMD Zen 2 in their next gen CPU.

Basically Sunny Cove is just Core architecture revamp, but that alone will not crush AMD, it is the move to 3D stacking CPU chips that consist of a big core, stack on top 4 smaller cores with very low latency huge cache, and combined with new core architure.

But then again who will buy the expensive Intel with all their security loophole? lol.
That's right, lower latency and large cache. I am more concerned about how they are going to cool those things with hot spots throughout the stack due to heat being trapped.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 08:22 PM
Master of Black Snow

Rep: 699 (Unique: 518)
Quote: Originally Posted by rluker5 View Post
This seems pretty complicated, but it seems like using multiple hits to get timings and then try to rowhammer them would put the data into the L4 cache of a Broadwell-c, which may have different outcomes when it is read in conjunction with data from regular ram, or evicted to regular ram partially through the process. I.E. corrupted nonsense vs a successful hack.
I am sure that it would affect operating frequency but couldn't they have put in a proverbial "speedbump"(for lack of a more appropriate term) prior to the L4 that would disrupt this type of attack? Seems to me a reasonable alternative that could've been implemented after previous hacks of Intel architecture. Shoot even one that would disable the L4 altogether would be a useful feature notifying Administrator of an attack. A sort of if X happens in Y amount of log attempts apply Z outcome?

I don't have all the answers, just a random option.

~Ceadder

Black snow
(17 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 1800x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
XFX RX 480 Black Edition 8GB
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel Z370 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C14D-16GTZSK
Hard Drive
Western Digital Black
Hard Drive
Samsung 750 EVO
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Hard Drive
Adata m.2
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova
Cooling
EKWB Crosshair VI Acetyl Monoblock
Case
Lian Li O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64bit USB
Monitor
Samsung NU6900
Keyboard
Corsair K55
Mouse
Corsair M65
Other
Xbox Wireless Controller: Winter Forces Special Edition - Xbox One/Xbox One S/Windows 10
CPU
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Motherboard
Crosshair IV Formula
GPU
XFX RX 480 Black Edition 8GB
RAM
Corsair Dominator
Hard Drive
x2 HITACHI 1TB Deskstars 1TB RAID0
Hard Drive
Samsun 750 EVO
Power Supply
EVGA
Cooling
EK D5 Vario
Cooling
EK x3 250 RGB
Cooling
Yate Loon 120x20 (D12SM-12C) Medium Speed Silent Fans
Cooling
EK Supreme HF Classified
Cooling
Monsoon 1/2"x5/8" PETG White Hardline tubing.
Cooling
Monsoon Economy Hardline fittings
Cooling
EK x3 CSQ Clean Acrylic
Cooling
EK RX 480 Copper/Acetyl
Case
HAF 932
Operating System
Win7 64 bit Ultimate OEM
Monitor
Asus VH222H Black HDMI Widescreen
Keyboard
Logitech the OCZ went buhbye adios. Don't know what I'm going to replace it with.
Mouse
Logitech g9x
Mouse
COOLER MASTER Weapon of Choice: M4 Duramesh Pad
Audio
Logitech X-240 2.1 speakers
Other
Creative X-Fi
Other
Sunbeam Rheosmart 3
▲ hide details ▲

post #23 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 11:31 PM
Padawan Overclocker

Rep: 137 (Unique: 110)
I wonder how much speed intel gained on cutting corners on hardware security over "somewhat" affected AMD cpus.

This cat scratches free.

Windows 10 Pro x64 - I5 2500k 4ghz (offset -0.015v) - Asus P8P67 Evo - 2x4gb Gskill Ripjaws - Sapphire 280x tri-x nonboost - HAF 912+ - Kingston Savage 120gb SSD - Western Digital Blue 2 TB + 1 TB -
Summer 21-06-2011
(13 items)
CPU
i5 2500k 4ghz @ Offset -0.015
Motherboard
Asus P8P67 Evo (bios 3207)
GPU
Sapphire HD6850 1GB (835/1100)
RAM
G.Skill RipjawsX 2x2gb 1866mhz 8-9-8-24-2n @ 1.6v
RAM
G.Skill RipjawsX 2x4gb 1866mhz 9-10-9-28-2n @ 1.6v
Hard Drive
WD5000AAKX-001CA0
Hard Drive
WD5001AALS-00L3B2 (Now External)
Hard Drive
WD20EARS
Optical Drive
ASUS DRW-1814BLT
Power Supply
Enermax Infiniti 650 (28a,28a,30a)
Cooling
Noctua NH-u12p SE2
Case
Cooler Master haf 912 Advanced
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
Monitor
Asus VH242H Wobbly Stand :)
Keyboard
Microsoft Ergo 4000
Mouse
A4tech x7 F3
CPU
Phenom II x6 1090t BE 3.6/4.0 [email protected]
Motherboard
MSI K9A2 Platinum v1
GPU
Sapphire HD6850 1GB 850/[email protected]
RAM
Kingston 2x2gb Hyperx 1066 5-5-5-15
Hard Drive
WD5001AALS & ST3250410AS
Optical Drive
Asus DRW-1814BLT
Power Supply
Enermax Infiniti 650w (28a,28a,30a)
Case
Thermaltake Kandalf SuperTower
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
Monitor
Asus VH242H 23.6" Wobbly Stand :D
Keyboard
Microsoft Ergo 4000
Mouse
A4 tech Swop-3
Mouse
(no name)
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 09:28 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 37 (Unique: 31)
Folks, are you aware it's either fast CPU or CPU designed to force user pay for every usage of program, allow only commercial programs (or who's authors paid for certificate), and have design to be part of closed platform easily locked up from its owner.

I'm pretty sure a lot of commercial companies would love to rise price of PC to MAC, and do the same support as Apple. But the lack of security (and by PC being open platform) allows users to prevent that.

Yea, considering DDR4 RAMs were designed as they were, and RAM usage was designed as it was, it's no strange people like AIDA benchmark can get timing of various subcomponents. But I'm worried more about MASSIVE security hole called W10 random remote update, including CIA keyloger and copying all research data sneakingly behind scenes, than about stuff which just screams why didn't you made more stringent internet browser standard (current allows MASSIVE potential security hole called adblock blockers).

Basically properly enforced browser standard would prevent execution of adblock blockers by detecting them as scripts that are trying to avoid detection, or would block scripts as broken scripts that are trying to load nonexisting resource.

Security... There is price of security, it eats more watts to run program in secure environment, than on energy efficient CPU that is also extremely fast. What can be used to block harmful hacks, can be used to block one of last desperate attempts of users to unblock theirs PC from working.

As for that article, I find it bit outrageous researchers didn't bother to test Ryzen. Few decades ago a low paid researcher would run stuff on Saturday on his home computer with Ryzen CPU (which he bought because of curiosity how much AMD improved). Using old AMD designs which were known to be non efficient? When even AMD wasn't able to find how theirs old design wasted CPU cycles, how can an attacker?

I'm more curious how they could write into RAM, than I'm about if Intel can be affected by ROWHAMMER. Also I wonder why DDR4 were released in status that allows this. ROWHAMMER was know for a while, it was plenty of time for RAM manufacturers to improve standard.
post #25 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 05:11 PM
I Love this Hobby!

Rep: 584 (Unique: 488)
C.I.A.

-Guide to 1st Case Modding for Better GPU(s) Performance/Cooling-
https://www.overclock.net/case-mod-wo...ing-guide
-Guide to 2nd Case Modding for Better GPU(s) Performance/Cooling-
https://www.overclock.net/case-mod-wo...e-fan-mod
Bit'O'Heaven
(16 items)
Cigar ATX PC
(14 items)
CPU
Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5GHz
Motherboard
Asus Maximus VI Rog Gene
GPU
Gigabyte AMD R9 290 @ 1160GHz Core/1350GHz Mem
GPU
Gigabyte AMD R9 290 @ 1160GHz Core/1350GHz Mem
RAM
G.SKILL Trident X DDR3 16GB 2400MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 PRO 256GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 3TB
Optical Drive
Pioneer Black Blu-ray 16X BD-R 2X BD-RE
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1300W 80PLUS Gold Fully Modular
Cooling
Open Water Loop
Case
Fractal Design Arc Midi R2
Operating System
Win 7 Pro 64bit
Monitor
Nixeus EDG 27" Freesync 1440p 144Hz
Monitor
Samsung 245BW 24" 1200p 60Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G15
Mouse
Microsoft Sidewinder X5
Mousepad
ALLSOP Redmond Mouse Pad
Audio
Cambridge Soundworks 5.1
CPU
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.5GHz
Motherboard
ASRock Z77E-ITX mITX
GPU
Sapphire AMD HD 7990
RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3 8GB 1600MHz
Hard Drive
Crucial SSD 128GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda HDD 1TB
Optical Drive
LG DVD R/W
Power Supply
Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 Fully Modular
Cooling
Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H100
Case
BitFenix Prodigy Mini-ATX Black Case
Operating System
Win 7 Pro 64bit
Monitor
Samsung TV 52"
Keyboard
Logitech K330 Wireless
Mouse
Logitech M215 Wireless
Mousepad
Corsair Vengeance MM200
Audio
Yamaha RX-V681 PSB/PolkAudio 5.1
CPU
AMD Athlon II X4 640
Motherboard
ASRock N68C-GS
GPU
NVIDIA 6600GT
RAM
G. Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600MHz
Hard Drive
WD Caviar Blue 500GB 16MB Cache 7200RPM
Optical Drive
LG Optical Drive
Power Supply
Thermaltake TR2 600W
Cooling
Thermaltake Max Orb
Case
Cigar Boxes
Operating System
Windows 7
Monitor
Viewsonic 19” Flatscreen CRT
Keyboard
Gigabyte GK-K6800 103
Mouse
Zalman ZM-M300
Mouse
Corsair Vengeance MM200
▲ hide details ▲

post #26 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 05:14 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 433 (Unique: 289)
Quote: Originally Posted by Raghar View Post
Folks, are you aware it's either fast CPU or CPU designed to force user pay for every usage of program, allow only commercial programs (or who's authors paid for certificate), and have design to be part of closed platform easily locked up from its owner.

I'm pretty sure a lot of commercial companies would love to rise price of PC to MAC, and do the same support as Apple. But the lack of security (and by PC being open platform) allows users to prevent that.

Yea, considering DDR4 RAMs were designed as they were, and RAM usage was designed as it was, it's no strange people like AIDA benchmark can get timing of various subcomponents. But I'm worried more about MASSIVE security hole called W10 random remote update, including CIA keyloger and copying all research data sneakingly behind scenes, than about stuff which just screams why didn't you made more stringent internet browser standard (current allows MASSIVE potential security hole called adblock blockers).

Basically properly enforced browser standard would prevent execution of adblock blockers by detecting them as scripts that are trying to avoid detection, or would block scripts as broken scripts that are trying to load nonexisting resource.

Security... There is price of security, it eats more watts to run program in secure environment, than on energy efficient CPU that is also extremely fast. What can be used to block harmful hacks, can be used to block one of last desperate attempts of users to unblock theirs PC from working.

As for that article, I find it bit outrageous researchers didn't bother to test Ryzen. Few decades ago a low paid researcher would run stuff on Saturday on his home computer with Ryzen CPU (which he bought because of curiosity how much AMD improved). Using old AMD designs which were known to be non efficient? When even AMD wasn't able to find how theirs old design wasted CPU cycles, how can an attacker?

I'm more curious how they could write into RAM, than I'm about if Intel can be affected by ROWHAMMER. Also I wonder why DDR4 were released in status that allows this. ROWHAMMER was know for a while, it was plenty of time for RAM manufacturers to improve standard.

Where does it say they didn't test ryzen?

Quote:
The researchers also examined Arm and AMD processor cores, but found they did not exhibit similar behavior.

READ this thread before starting your first build!!!
ALWAYS power up a Mobo Before installing it! Consider Less than helpful posts as Free Bumps.
devil-smiley-019.gif¡¡¡ʍʇɟ qn1ɔ uoıʇɐıɔǝɹddɐ 939 ʇǝʞɔos ǝɥʇthumbsupsmiley.pngsozo.gifRetro Rulezsozo.gif

If you can't afford to lose it don't mod or OC it.
At least read the ENTIRE OP before commenting.

Semper Fi

post #27 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 05:20 PM
PC Evangelist

Rep: 1789 (Unique: 1170)
Seems to me Intel was going after performance without much focus in security.

Ishimura
(13 items)
Yamato
(10 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7-3770K @ 4.8GHz
Motherboard
ASRock Z77E-ITX
GPU
AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition
RAM
AVEXIR Blitz 1.1 16GB DDR3-2400MHz CL10
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB
Hard Drive
Toshiba X300 5TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
Cooling
Corsair H100i GTX
Case
Fractal Design Define Nano S
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
Monitor
LG OLED55C7P
Keyboard
Cooler Master MasterKeys MK750
Mouse
Finalmouse Air58 Ninja
CPU
Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz
Motherboard
ASUS Z170 Deluxe
GPU
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-3000 CL15
Hard Drive
Samsung SM961 512GB
Hard Drive
HGST DeskStar NAS 6TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2
Cooling
Cooler Master Nepton 280L
Case
Fractal Design Meshify C TG
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
▲ hide details ▲

post #28 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 04:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 37 (Unique: 31)
Quote: Originally Posted by Hueristic View Post
Where does it say they didn't test ryzen?

There.
post #29 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 04:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 44 (Unique: 36)
I do wonder why they only listed the one AMD CPU. The text in that area of the actual article explains what is going on and how it's Architecture based. So either they simply didn't test Ryzen and it could be affected or... they didn't bother because based on the research they already knew what the outcome would be.

They certainly are showing how through the various Intel families they all have this "leakage". I might have missed it, but since I didn't see any definitive statement about not testing more ARM/AMD chips... it does make me wonder. So I can only ponder that the way ARM/AMD does certain things didn't really change or... they just didn't test more cpu's for reasons unknown.
post #30 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 06:58 AM
Performance is the bible

Rep: 432 (Unique: 298)
Quote: Originally Posted by Digitalwolf View Post
I do wonder why they only listed the one AMD CPU. The text in that area of the actual article explains what is going on and how it's Architecture based. So either they simply didn't test Ryzen and it could be affected or... they didn't bother because based on the research they already knew what the outcome would be.
Or they were requested/paid not to. Or they just didn't have one at hand and didn't bother, since finding it in intel is enough for them to release the paper.
Considering intel were rumoured to pay some no body security firm to try and find a bug in AMD, I wouldn't rule that out until they or someone else, tested other AMD family chips.

Considering the AMD one is from 2012, and a lot has changed with AMD since in term of design, it doesn't make sense not to test at least a cheap one from current gen.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in