[The Register] SPOILER alert, literally: Intel CPUs afflicted with simple data-spewing spec-exec vulnerability - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[The Register] SPOILER alert, literally: Intel CPUs afflicted with simple data-spewing spec-exec vulnerability

post #31 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 08:39 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 13 (Unique: 11)
Intel is just rotten to the core.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 11:51 AM
It Just Works

post #33 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 04:23 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 433 (Unique: 289)
Quote: Originally Posted by Raghar View Post

There.
That is very odd and glaringly so, Did they open sauce the tools for testing?

READ this thread before starting your first build!!!
ALWAYS power up a Mobo Before installing it! Consider Less than helpful posts as Free Bumps.
devil-smiley-019.gif¡¡¡ʍʇɟ qn1ɔ uoıʇɐıɔǝɹddɐ 939 ʇǝʞɔos ǝɥʇthumbsupsmiley.pngsozo.gifRetro Rulezsozo.gif

If you can't afford to lose it don't mod or OC it.
At least read the ENTIRE OP before commenting.

Semper Fi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 10:47 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Most of the critical Spectre/Meltdown issues only affect Intel though AMD is not completely immune but this is derived from the Intel based Spectre flaws that some engineers had warned Intel about 20 years ago.

From what little I've seen, most of AMD x64 designs have not suffered the critical problems simply due to them following "Best Practices" in their design. Intel's Engineers need to have their licenses revoked for critical flaw and not following "Best Practices". As to Zen being affected, AFAIK it's minimally affected by Spectre and mostly immune to Meltdown (ymmv).
post #35 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 03:47 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 57 (Unique: 51)
Quote: Originally Posted by Raghar View Post

There.
Not sure why they only tested the one. Could possibly be initially only tested one then found a flaw and decided to test more of that brand. Not sure how they do business, I do know that people think like that.

CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X Processor
Mobo: Asrock X399 Taichi
VGA: Asrock Phantom Gaming Radeon VII
RAM: G-Skill 3200 RipJaws F4-3200C16-16GVK
Storage: Samsung M.2 850 EVO 1TB
PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra 1000 Platinum
Cooling: HeatKiller For CPU & Bykski for GPU

post #36 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 04:20 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 464 (Unique: 312)
Quote: Originally Posted by battlenut View Post
Not sure why they only tested the one. Could possibly be initially only tested one then found a flaw and decided to test more of that brand. Not sure how they do business, I do know that people think like that.
I'm thinking they tested on all computers they had around in the office and at home. And those were all Intel besides one crappy laptop with AMD. It could simply be that whenever they were buying a computer, they always bought Intel and they never bought AMD. The CPUs from AMD released after Phenom and before Ryzen, so from 2011 to 2018 or so, were not exactly attractive choices. It's not strange that they ended up with Intel in every single one of their computers.

That one AMD CPU in the list seems to be something that's used in crappy $300 laptops?
post #37 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 06:37 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 9)
Thats because it's based on speculative execution. AMD didn't invest heavily into it, that's why some of their arch's like Thuban aren't affected while the cpu's that do speculative execution are.

TL;DL Intel took many liberties to gain the performance crown and now it's nipping them in the bud.

Satisfaction!
(13 items)
Robes of Teal
(6 items)
CPU
Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard
Asrock Fatal1ty K4
GPU
Asus RX 470
RAM
Corsair 16gb
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 EVO NVMe
Optical Drive
Generic Optical Drive
Power Supply
600 Watt
Case
Rosewell
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Acer 27in
Keyboard
CM Storm
Mouse
CM Storm
Audio
on board
CPU
i5-7300HQ
GPU
Nvidia 1050
RAM
8gb
Hard Drive
1 TB
Optical Drive
none
Monitor
15.6 in TN Panel
▲ hide details ▲
post #38 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 07:41 PM
MegaTechPC

Rep: 1091 (Unique: 517)
Seems to me like all this stuff is still pretty "Much Ado About Nothing", at least for the average individual PC owner. Obviously data centers, businesses, etc will have a LOT to worry about when it comes to any sort of security vulnerabilities, but the reality of it is that the average user here on OCN is not bloody likely to be targeted by any hackers in the first place simply because we are just not that important to anyone. While its obvious that any security vulnerability like this is not good news, you have to remember that there are hundreds of millions of people in the world using Intel machines so the odds of anyone individually targeting YOU remains statistically insignificant, from a big-picture point of view.

Obviously if you are a huge corporation or someone of importance / notoriety (celebrities, politicians, popular internet personalities, etc) then you are already an easily identifiable target for an attack, but the vast majority of us remain safely unknown to the bad guys because of sheer numbers, not to mention the lack of motivation to target any of us. For instance, if some hacker wanted access to my bank account, all their efforts in gaining access to my system would net them is, oh, about $87.94 at the moment!

Aaaaaaaaand, now I'm sad...

3DMark11 - P25138
3DMark Firestrike - P20998

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

post #39 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 08:01 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 8)
Quote: Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric View Post
Seems to me like all this stuff is still pretty "Much Ado About Nothing", at least for the average individual PC owner. Obviously data centers, businesses, etc will have a LOT to worry about when it comes to any sort of security vulnerabilities, but the reality of it is that the average user here on OCN is not bloody likely to be targeted by any hackers in the first place simply because we are just not that important to anyone. While its obvious that any security vulnerability like this is not good news, you have to remember that there are hundreds of millions of people in the world using Intel machines so the odds of anyone individually targeting YOU remains statistically insignificant, from a big-picture point of view.

Obviously if you are a huge corporation or someone of importance / notoriety (celebrities, politicians, popular internet personalities, etc) then you are already an easily identifiable target for an attack, but the vast majority of us remain safely unknown to the bad guys because of sheer numbers, not to mention the lack of motivation to target any of us. For instance, if some hacker wanted access to my bank account, all their efforts in gaining access to my system would net them is, oh, about $87.94 at the moment!

You have to think bigger. It's not about what you might have in your bank account, think "identity theft". If you have really good credit, I'd be better off getting a few credit cards in your name and running up tens of thousands of dollars. The only thing the CC company would have is your information. You're going to have to spend time and money trying to prove you didn't actually make those purchases.

post #40 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 01:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 135 (Unique: 102)
Quote: Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric View Post

That's the kind of thinking that leaves big gaping holes in the cache.

It's not about our Intel chips, it's about all Intel chips.
You're a single (normal?) person, (someone) could drive (a single fictional person) $5000 into debt before tapping them out assuming they don't have the best credit. That's their one machine compromised.
I'm not skilled enough to do this over networks but if possible to do, you'd only need one terminal on a network to gain root access to all of them. Maybe not instantly but it could be done, you'd be amazed what you can do with Kali. Look at what's possible with the slightest vulnerability in software...now apply that to an unchangable piece of silicon that could be around for YEARS and it affects GENERATIONS of chips used by the hundreds and even thousands in offices, homes and far beyond.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in