[arstechnica] Thunderbolt 3 becomes USB4, as Intel’s interconnect goes royalty-free - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[arstechnica] Thunderbolt 3 becomes USB4, as Intel’s interconnect goes royalty-free

post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 07:18 AM
I <3 narcissists

Rep: 203 (Unique: 128)
So will USB4 have the same vulnerability that Thunderbolt 3 has since it's basically TB3? If that's the case, Intel can keep it for themselves.

El Computer
(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard
Asrock X470 Taichi Ultimate
GPU
Radeon VII
GPU
EVGA 2080ti FTW3 Ultra
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO
Hard Drive
CRUCIAL 1TB MX500 M.2
Power Supply
EVGA G3
Cooling
CORSAIR H150I PRO
Case
LianLi PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG 32GK850G
Monitor
50" Vizio 4k TV
Keyboard
Logitech G110
Mouse
G.SKILL RIPJAWS MX780 USB
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 08:33 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 25 (Unique: 13)
Quote: Originally Posted by Defoler View Post
Not really.
If we leave apple out of it, there are numerous laptops that come with at least one USB-C that is thunderbolt, even ranging in the 600$ price tags.

Intel has been pushing it, and considering they support it natively, and so many utilities start to use it, manufacturers are following suit and add it to their system. It doesn't cost them anything, and if it attracts some extra customers, why not?

And considering more cheaper eGPU solutions comes out, it makes it easier to buy a laptop with decent CPU but crappy GPU, and still gain some benefits.
well, I'm in lurk mode since months regarding a laptop 15,6''/17'' that have a full bandwith tb3 port (well, maybe I'm wrong but when manufacturer does not detail TB3 and instead put usb 3.1 type a or c in the specification I assume that there is a difference but maybe is just semantic like could be asyncronous monitors and freesync monitors....) and apart dell xps, asus rog and blablabla so already gaming oriented laptop (businesses laptop are off my record due to 13 or 14'' monitor) can' see antyhing under 1000$....cheap dell version (G5) or don't have it at all (if you take a low power 1050 model you don't have tb3, only for 1060 so it is worthless) or only 1500$ dollars model with already decent gpus......

The only interesting offer is the LG GRAM..... they don't have discrete gpus but sports TB3, which is what I'm looking for but since they are new they are still over 1500

If I will do something in the future maybe it will be a old quad core intel laptop with a .m2 converter from alibaba with x3 3.0 pciex interface (needs at least 6th gen intel cpu), should be fun...

M8
(11 items)
Otto
(9 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 2600X
Motherboard
Asrock Taichi X470
GPU
sapphire fury nitro oc
RAM
GSkill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 Cl14
Hard Drive
SSD Crucial MX500 500GB
Power Supply
Antec HPC 850 Platinum
Cooling
noctua dual fan 120
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Acrylic
Operating System
microsoft windows 10 pro
Monitor
DELL U2311H
Monitor
ASUS MX34VQ
CPU
Intel Core i3/i5/i7
Motherboard
P8H77-I
GPU
AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
RAM
8 GB 1600
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Seasonic G-750
Case
Bitfenix Prodigy mitx
Operating System
Windows 8.1
Monitor
DELL U2311H
▲ hide details ▲
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 08:44 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 158 (Unique: 117)
Quote: Originally Posted by ozlay View Post
I wish hard drives and SSD's would switch to USB-C. So we can get rid of those obsolete SATA ports.
USB-C just means it uses the mini rounded off edge adapter. I'm assuming you meant USB 3.1 which are the really fast USB ports and in that case I have great news for you. That's exactly what is happening with NvME! Both USB 3.1, thunderbolt and NvME interface via PCIE lanes to achieve their speeds. In a sense, the only difference between the 3 is the shape of the port used to plug stuff into it. (obviously there is a lot more to it than that though)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 04:13 PM
Null

Rep: 159 (Unique: 129)
Quote: Originally Posted by ilmazzo View Post
well, depends....

TB3 is only on expensive laptops that already have good internal gpus so it is a waste of money and time imho

Instead, USB4 will be more popular and so, more choice and cheaper prices......ah and even amd laptops will benefit from it
A lot of 13 inchers have TB3 now. And even stuff like the Dell XPS 15 and HP Spectre 15 x360 have decent GPUs but not great for gaming, mobile 1050TIs IIRC.

post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 04:54 PM
Senioritis Member

Rep: 512 (Unique: 323)
Quote: Originally Posted by m4fox90 View Post
surprised they didn't go with USB 3.1 Gen 3.1 or something else needlessly confusing
Oh, I doubt it will be that simple. I can see USB 4.15 Gen 4x10 Super, Duper, Unbelievable Speed. The USB-IF are the biggest bunch of morons I believe I've ever seen.

Jeannie
CPU
i7-3930k
Motherboard
ASUS P9X79 WS
GPU
MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
GPU
Monoprice 1x2 powered HDMI Splitter
RAM
Kingston HyperX 32GB (8 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3K8/32GX
Hard Drive
128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Optical Drive
LG 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Drive CH12LS28
Power Supply
Corsair HX750W
Cooling
COOLER MASTER GeminII S524 120mm Long Life Sleeve CPU Cooler
Case
Antec Two Hundred v2
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate
Monitor
3 x Asus VG248QE
Monitor
Vizio VO320E 32" TV
Keyboard
Logitech G510s
Mouse
Logitech M525 with Unifying Receiving
Audio
Corsair SP2500 2.1 Speakers
Audio
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Express x1 Interface 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card
Other
LSI 9211-8i HBA card
Other
HooToo® HT-CR001 3.5" PCI-E to USB 3.0 Multi-in-One Front Panel Internal Card Reader (6 Memory Slots, Genesys GL3220 Chipset) & SuperSpeed USB 3.0 3-Port Hub (VIA VL800 Chipset), can read & write: M2/MS Micro, High-Speed CF(UDMA), UHS-I, SD, SDHC,...
Other
StarTech HSB220SAT25B 2 Drive 2.5in Trayless Hot Swap SATA Mobile Rack Backplane
CPU
i7-5930K Haswell-e
Motherboard
Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.1
GPU
Visiontek Radeon 7870 2GB with 6 miniDisplayports
RAM
G-Skill Ripjaws 64GB (8x8GB) DDR4 2133
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SSDs
Hard Drive
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB m.2 SSD boot drive
Power Supply
Corsair AX760
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S Cpu cooler
Case
Scratch built. Currently under construction at https://www.overclock.net/t/1602023/preparing-for-a-scratch-built-case
Operating System
Win 7 Ultimate
Mouse
Logitech M525
Mouse
El Cheapo Allsop hard plastic
▲ hide details ▲
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 05:29 PM
Tetrapyloctomist

Rep: 17 (Unique: 16)
If i may recap, as i see a point or two missing from this discussion:

- Intel originally conceives of a "Thunderbolt" protocol that is eventually said to be too expensive or difficult to implement.
- Intel being Intel doesn't let that stop it from making a quick buck or two, so they rebrand their now crippled protocol to Thunderbolt, finally launch it for the unwashed masses.
- Naturally, no one really uses it except Apple victims; sorry, i meant 'users'. But is it not trendy! Amagad is it not.
- When fully accepting that it's dead Jim, do they put it to pasture? Nope, they "release" it to an up to then agonising PC industry, just dying to implement it eeee-verywhere. Honestly.
- Intel being Intel, they have the audacity to inform of us of both their magnanimity (there, you peasants, take that) and their value to this market, as this is hardly the first time they try to fill it with junk, or worse still, suppress interesting, useful protocols only so as to enforce their own. Which are to be then discarded, but hey, who's counting.

So the obvious conclusions left unmentioned, i'm wondering if the nu-new TB controller's power consumption will be anyway near as high as it is now, if this will result to one (current, USB) or two controllers being embedded and whether the actual implementation requires lane bandwidth i'd rather see utilised elsewhere. Had anyone asked me that is..
Oh and whether, Intel being Intel, normal people like myself are in for a surprise or two because now they'll lock stuff out (sorry, the yuppie term is "exclusive" i believe) or make changes to stuff that worked perfectly fine with each and every USB device or function out there. Up to now that is.

Pride, honour and purity.
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 06:02 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 20 (Unique: 17)
So

When can I expect a laptop with external usb 4 gpu?
Hello, I'm physics of the universe, I'd like to sit down and tell you all about latency.
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 07:49 PM
Dream with your eyes open

Rep: 115 (Unique: 83)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
Who uses TB anyway except fanatic Apple users.
Honestly? I would. I want it on my tablet so I can run VR off of it. It's got a nice i5 dual core but not a good enough GPU so an external GPU would do the trick.

I proudly oppose all legislation to destroy our freedoms and support anything to protect our privacy online and off.
Hope I've added something to the conversation!

gunner2.gifgunner.gifsniper.gif
(Click to show)Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
AMD is not better than Intel in some ways and is better in other ways. Intel is better than AMD in some ways and worse than AMD in others. --
(This was directed at me)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meticadpa go_quote.gif
Can you remember when you were PMing random people asking for computer parts because you were young? I do... This is worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalteezy go_quote.gif
I am new to overclock.net. I am from States United and I can has info on computers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonshorty go_quote.gif

What's next, tweeting the fire brigade?

@LocalFireDep My house is on fire LOL #yolo
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 01:37 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 25 (Unique: 13)
Quote: Originally Posted by geoxile View Post
A lot of 13 inchers have TB3 now. And even stuff like the Dell XPS 15 and HP Spectre 15 x360 have decent GPUs but not great for gaming, mobile 1050TIs IIRC.
what's the point gaming on a 13'' monitor except for mine field? It will let you blind even more faster than onanism

Quote: Originally Posted by TheHorse View Post
Hello, I'm physics of the universe, I'd like to sit down and tell you all about latency.
I'm listening

M8
(11 items)
Otto
(9 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 2600X
Motherboard
Asrock Taichi X470
GPU
sapphire fury nitro oc
RAM
GSkill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 Cl14
Hard Drive
SSD Crucial MX500 500GB
Power Supply
Antec HPC 850 Platinum
Cooling
noctua dual fan 120
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Acrylic
Operating System
microsoft windows 10 pro
Monitor
DELL U2311H
Monitor
ASUS MX34VQ
CPU
Intel Core i3/i5/i7
Motherboard
P8H77-I
GPU
AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
RAM
8 GB 1600
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Seasonic G-750
Case
Bitfenix Prodigy mitx
Operating System
Windows 8.1
Monitor
DELL U2311H
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by ryan92084; 03-07-2019 at 03:13 AM.
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 03:18 AM
Performance is the bible

Rep: 432 (Unique: 298)
what's the point gaming on a 13'' monitor except for mine field? It will let you blind even more faster than onanism

I'm listening
You don't need to game on a 13"monitor.
You can use TB3->eGPU->Monitor, and play on a 27, 34, 40, whatever size and resolution you want, and get the full benefit of the big GPU.
Or you can use that eGPU for research.
Your only block will be the CPU, and many laptop CPUs can be good enough for gaming even on 4K in some games.
And of course super fast storage, full laptop power, etc, that comes and available from TB3.

Regarding latency, for eGPU, it's negligible. I am currently testing RTX 2080 in eGPU, and its fantastic. As as long as it comes either though high quality chip or straight to the CPU, you do not feel the latency.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in