[apple] AirPods, the world’s most popular wireless headphones, are getting even better - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[apple] AirPods, the world’s most popular wireless headphones, are getting even better

Closed Thread

post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 08:15 AM
Performance is the bible

Rep: 440 (Unique: 304)
Quote: Originally Posted by Zero4549 View Post
So do just about any other modern bluetooth earbuds, including the plethora of options that aren't locked to apple, aren't designed around looking like broken apple earbuds from the ipod generation first and function last, aren't incredibly overpriced, and have far better audio fidility.

When your product is just an inferior and more expensive version of an already commonly avaliable field of products, I fail to see how anyone can call it "great". Perhaps you're confusing the words "great" and "substandard" or "subpar".
It is not an inferior product. More expensive? Most likely. But it works very well.
Considering samsung's iconx cost 179.99$, and the new airpods cost 159.99$, I'm not sure the claim about more expensive is correct, but I shouldn't expect someone to actually check their claim.

The fact you don't need to mess with pairing, and if you have several products, they all get paired instantly and the connection moves from one product to the other seamlessly. That is decently useful feature.

Quote: Originally Posted by Shadowarez View Post
Well if being turned into a sheeple is enough I'd say they are a cancer.
Sigh...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 09:17 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 53 (Unique: 47)
Quote: Originally Posted by Defoler View Post
It is not an inferior product. More expensive? Most likely. But it works very well.
Considering samsung's iconx cost 179.99$, and the new airpods cost 159.99$, I'm not sure the claim about more expensive is correct, but I shouldn't expect someone to actually check their claim.

The fact you don't need to mess with pairing, and if you have several products, they all get paired instantly and the connection moves from one product to the other seamlessly. That is decently useful feature.

Sigh...

Whoa there. I'm going to need you to join the Apple bashing crowd here or you'll need take your facts with you on your way out.

The reason people are saying the Airpods are more expensive is because the $160 pair doesn't include the wireless charging case, the wireless charging Airpods are $199. For something that only needs to be charged a couple of times a week I don't see the point in personally.
The biggest difference between the IconX aside from aesthetics is the sound isolation, which would be a deal-breaker for quite a few, myself included. I'm sure the IconXs sound better because of the isolation but I'd be pulling the my earbuds out 20 times a day because of it.

Perpetual
(12 items)
CPU
9900K 5.0GHz
Motherboard
Asus ROG Z390-E
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080 Super FTW3 Hydro Copper 2145/9151
RAM
G.SKILL Trident Z 3200MHz
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W
Cooling
HWLabs Nemesis 360GTX, D5/Photon 170 res, EK fittings & CPU block
Case
Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic
Monitor
LG 34UC79G, 144Hz, G-Sync
Keyboard
Corsair K95 LUX
Mouse
Glorious Model O
Mousepad
Steelseries QcK Prism XL
Audio
ATH-M50x
▲ hide details ▲
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 10:53 AM
HEC Club

Rep: 847 (Unique: 580)
Quote: Originally Posted by m4fox90 View Post
Sorry for liking a thing you don't like.
Quote: Originally Posted by Defoler View Post

Sigh...
It's better to just avoid trolls. Personally, I love my AirPods as well. They work seamlessly with my iPhone and its UI, were a cinch to pair up, and sound fine for what I use them for. If I want critical listening, I use the proper tools (IEM, over-ear headphones, DAP, etc). If I am jumping into quick virtual meetings, at the gym, or on the go, these are my go-to. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Proud Member of the [Official] OCN Headphones and Earphones Club! http://files.overclock.net/images/smilies/headphone.gifBecause perfect hair is overrated!
Biggie Smalls
(22 items)
CPU
Intel i5-2500K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-M
GPU
EVGA Titan X
RAM
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 16GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 830 Pro
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro
Hard Drive
Western Digital Black Caviar 64MB Cache
Hard Drive
Optical Drive
LG Bluray Combo Drive
Power Supply
Corsair AX860
Cooling
Corsair H50
Case
Corsair Obsidian 350D
Operating System
Windows 7 Professional x64
Monitor
Dell UltraSharp U3415W
Keyboard
Ducky Shine 4 Blue/Red
Mouse
Razer Deathadder Chroma
Mouse
fUnc Mouse Mat
Audio
Sennheiser HD650
Audio
Grace m9xx DAC/AMP
Audio
ELAC B6
Audio
Schiit Lyr 2
Audio
Fostex TH-X00 (ebony cups with detachable cable mod)
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
ٴٴٴ╲⎝⧹˙͜>˙⧸⎠╱

Rep: 165 (Unique: 128)
If I actually use a mac or the airpods work as well with windows I would probably buy it, since I already use an iPhone anyways.

I think the appeal is how it sync across devices, not the ease of use or sound quality.

nͫٴiͤٴcͫٴeͤ੮Һ૯ ცɿ૭ ૭คעٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ ٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ ٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ ٴٴ
█▀█ █▄█ ▀█▀ ▀█▀
PC 1
(6 items)
CPU
Ryzen 9 3950X 1900FCLK
Motherboard
Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi
RAM
B-die 2x16 3800MHz F4-3600C16D-32GTZN
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro 512GB
Power Supply
EVGA 750G2
Cooling
NH D15
▲ hide details ▲

post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 06:59 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by TK421 View Post
If I actually use a mac or the airpods work as well with windows I would probably buy it, since I already use an iPhone anyways.

I think the appeal is how it sync across devices, not the ease of use or sound quality.
Airpods work fine with windows. They are Bluetooth, so will drop to mono output when you switch to microphone over stereo mode.

Before you buy them I would wait for reviews. Samsung give apple more than a equal run for their money now. Apple really need to up their game, if they want to keep hold of the fanbase. Phones and such I have seen of late are leaving with a meh face.

14-15-14-14-28-42-4-5-20-0-0-4-12-10-0-3-3-282-14-8-6-3-1-7-7-1-5-5-1
ProcODt 48Ω - Rttnom 34Ω - Rttwr disabled - Rttpark 60Ω drvstr 30Ω - 20Ω - 24Ω - 20Ω
vcore -0.075v | Dram 1.38v Rev: 2203
CPU
AMD 2700X
Motherboard
Cross Hair VII
GPU
MSI 1080
RAM
G-Skill F4-4000C18-8GTZKW
Hard Drive
Disk Drive SAMSUNG MZVKW512HMJP-00000 (512 GB, PCI-E 3.0 x4)
Hard Drive
Disk Drive Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB (1000 GB, SATA-III)
Hard Drive
Disk Drive Samsung SSD 850 EVO 2TB (2000 GB, SATA-III)
Power Supply
1600w
Cooling
Corsair H110i
Cooling
Corsair Dominator Ramcooler
Case
TT CORE P5 Thermaltake Core P5 ATX
Operating System
Windows 10 pro (64bit)
Monitor
Asus PB28Q 28" (2160p)
Monitor
Asus PB28Q 28" (2160p)
Keyboard
Corsair strafe silent
Mouse
Roccat Kone Aimo
▲ hide details ▲
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 06:47 AM
Skating Enthusiast

Rep: 147 (Unique: 118)
For those that are bashing the AirPods so harshly -- have you actually used them and compared them to one of these cheaper pairs?

Kasuf
(9 items)
CPU
Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard
MSI Tomahawk B450
GPU
ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Power Supply
Corsair HX750i
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W
Monitor
LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98)
▲ hide details ▲
post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 07:37 AM
Not a linux lobbyist

Rep: 59 (Unique: 43)
Quote: Originally Posted by OC'ing Noob View Post
It's better to just avoid trolls. Personally, I love my AirPods as well. They work seamlessly with my iPhone and its UI, were a cinch to pair up, and sound fine for what I use them for. If I want critical listening, I use the proper tools (IEM, over-ear headphones, DAP, etc). If I am jumping into quick virtual meetings, at the gym, or on the go, these are my go-to. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Do they make higher audio quality wireless IEMs? I just got an android phone without a headphone jack. I had liked using a pair of Xaiomi mi hybrid pro hd (fit my ear perfect, so I get full sound, unlike head-fi, that guy gave a bad review even though admitting he has been using them for the last year for "sports, outdoor wear and even sleeping with them on" so I have doubts he doesn't like them), but don't want to dongle it. I dug up an old set of xiaomi qcy qy12 (didn't know it was xiaomi too until I checked this morning, still had a charge from summer maybe?) and they only sound ok, and are a little uncomfortable(because they are big squares) and a real pain to charge.
I do like how they turn on when you seperate them and automatically pair to my phone, then turn off when you connect the magnets again.

My main qualms with them are the comfort and sound. Pairing isn't an issue, and I prefer physical audio isolation for earbuds. Wondering if you had a suggestion since you have an open perspective to particular uses and seem to have shopped around a bit.

L5
(16 items)
Lea2
(11 items)
L7
(11 items)
CPU
5775c
Motherboard
Maximus VII Hero
GPU
Aorus 1080ti Waterforce
RAM
16 Gb Gskill Trident @ 2400,cas10,1.575v
RAM
Team 16GB [email protected]
Hard Drive
1Tb Team sata+1TB Team sata+1TB 42mm msata
Hard Drive
seagate barracuda 3T
Hard Drive
Optane 900p 480G OS
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova 1300 G2
Cooling
Cooler Master MasterLiquid Pro 120 (cpu)
Cooling
2 140mm case fans, 2 120mm
Case
Fractal Design C (no window)
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
panasonic TC-58AX800U
Audio
Focal Elear, Nova 40, 598se, M1060, DT990pro, Fidelio2
Audio
SoundbasterX AE-5, onboard
CPU
Motherboard
Asus Z87 Deluxe
GPU
Fury Nitro
RAM
8Gb klevv urbane 2133
Hard Drive
ROG Raidr 240Gb pcie
Hard Drive
1Tb WD blue
Power Supply
Pc Power&Cooling silencer Mk2 950w
Cooling
Deepcool Lucifer V2
Case
DIYPC P48-W
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
40"tv
CPU
4980hq
Motherboard
Asus H81T/CSM
RAM
16GB Samsung cheap
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 evo 120gb
Power Supply
Skyvast 90w brick for hp pavilion something
Cooling
SilverStone Tek Super Slim
Case
SilverStone Tek PT13B
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
24" samsung 1080p
Keyboard
Logitech K400+
Other
Intel wifi ac card and noname antennas
▲ hide details ▲
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 10:33 AM
HEC Club

Rep: 847 (Unique: 580)
Quote: Originally Posted by rluker5 View Post
Do they make higher audio quality wireless IEMs? I just got an android phone without a headphone jack. I had liked using a pair of Xaiomi mi hybrid pro hd (fit my ear perfect, so I get full sound, unlike head-fi, that guy gave a bad review even though admitting he has been using them for the last year for "sports, outdoor wear and even sleeping with them on" so I have doubts he doesn't like them), but don't want to dongle it. I dug up an old set of xiaomi qcy qy12 (didn't know it was xiaomi too until I checked this morning, still had a charge from summer maybe?) and they only sound ok, and are a little uncomfortable(because they are big squares) and a real pain to charge.
I do like how they turn on when you seperate them and automatically pair to my phone, then turn off when you connect the magnets again.

My main qualms with them are the comfort and sound. Pairing isn't an issue, and I prefer physical audio isolation for earbuds. Wondering if you had a suggestion since you have an open perspective to particular uses and seem to have shopped around a bit.
Maybe I am old school, but higher audio quality and wireless do not go together for me. I only use wireless for the convenience of portability and want to listen to stuff casually. If I am critically listening, I use my wired CIEM or headphones with a DAP unless I am at home, then I use my sound system or headphones. Sorry that I couldn't be more helpful.

Proud Member of the [Official] OCN Headphones and Earphones Club! http://files.overclock.net/images/smilies/headphone.gifBecause perfect hair is overrated!
Biggie Smalls
(22 items)
CPU
Intel i5-2500K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-M
GPU
EVGA Titan X
RAM
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 16GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 830 Pro
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Optical Drive
LG Bluray Combo Drive
Power Supply
Corsair AX860
Cooling
Corsair H50
Case
Corsair Obsidian 350D
Operating System
Windows 7 Professional x64
Monitor
Dell UltraSharp U3415W
Keyboard
Ducky Shine 4 Blue/Red
Mouse
Razer Deathadder Chroma
Mouse
fUnc Mouse Mat
Audio
Sennheiser HD650
Audio
Grace m9xx DAC/AMP
Audio
ELAC B6
Audio
Schiit Lyr 2
Audio
Fostex TH-X00 (ebony cups with detachable cable mod)
▲ hide details ▲

post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 11:06 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 12 (Unique: 12)
Its strange seeing price related complaints in OCN. I tried some generic wireless earphones, none of them were close to the Airpods. I don't own a pair of Airpods myself and only tried it a couple of times and it was good enough for me to wait and order v2.

If you're in the Apple ecosystem, these will work great. That's my #1 reason for buying them.
post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 12:10 PM
Performance is the bible

Rep: 440 (Unique: 304)
Quote: Originally Posted by rluker5 View Post

They have a decent audio quality, but they are not fully sound isolation if all you are into is hearing audio.
They are to use as an every day wireless set.
Meaning you can walk around with them, listening to music, using as headset, and you can mute and hear people talking around you or to you, without needing to take them off. You might look a little douchy still wearing them, but you can have a full conversation without needing to take them off.
And with the internal chip, if you put down your phone and switch to an ipad or a macbook, can you switch the airpods to them without any re-pairing requirement and use them on those. When done, back to the phone.

They are relatively small, but they sit well enough in the ear for the majority of people without falling off, and they are comfortable (that is though very subjective).

If your plan is isolation and audio quality, they are not for you, in my opinion.
Though apple are rumoured to use beats brand to bring similar wireless headset specifically for sport with isolation next month.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in