[PCGamesN] Nvidia says it “can create the most energy-efficient GPU in the world at anytime” - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[PCGamesN] Nvidia says it “can create the most energy-efficient GPU in the world at anytime”

post #31 of 215 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 12:53 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 340 (Unique: 241)
Yet Turing didn't launch on 7nm despite it's outrageous prices. If they could have launched at 7nm they would have but they couldn't. They sit back and wait for others to bring down the costs first when it comes to using newer hardware tech. It's how NV operates for about it's whole existence. They use the old business trick of let other's sweat it out and make it cheaper, then come in and do the same stuff with orders of lower investment necessary for even less because someone else has paved the way before them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 215 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 01:05 PM
ٴٴٴ╲⎝⧹˙͜>˙⧸⎠╱

Rep: 158 (Unique: 123)
doesn't nvidia have "power efficiency" through really aggressive power gating / power limiting of their video cards though?

2080ti with stock cooling and power limit removed performs just as well as high end AIB cards with better cooler

nͫٴiͤٴcͫٴeͤ੮Һ૯ ცɿ૭ ૭คעٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ ٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ ٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ ٴٴ
█▀█ █▄█ ▀█▀ ▀█▀

post #33 of 215 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 01:15 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 133 (Unique: 84)
Great, thank you so much Nvidia for selling us a bunch of exorbitantly prcied side grade GPUs so that we can save a few bucks on the power bill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 215 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 01:55 PM
Lord Sleepsalot

Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
Hmh, then i want a 50W RTX2080Ti That statement just sound like kids fighting and NV is like "i can lick my own elbow".

Quote:
Using custom-designed processor from AMD making use of Zen 2 and Navi architecture, Xbox Project Scarlett will be 4x more powerful than the Xbox One X. It'll be possible of running games at 120Hz frame rates, at potential 8K resolutions, while also showcasing fancy real-time ray-tracing tech. It's the works.
- Techradar 2019
post #35 of 215 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 03:43 PM
Performance is the bible

Rep: 437 (Unique: 301)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
Yet Turing didn't launch on 7nm despite it's outrageous prices. If they could have launched at 7nm they would have but they couldn't. They sit back and wait for others to bring down the costs first when it comes to using newer hardware tech. It's how NV operates for about it's whole existence. They use the old business trick of let other's sweat it out and make it cheaper, then come in and do the same stuff with orders of lower investment necessary for even less because someone else has paved the way before them.
Pascal was the first 16nm GPU.
So I'm not sure what "old business trick" you are talking about.
Currently they are in a unique position where they are both making GPUs from TSMC, but also nvidia don't need to rush to 7nm as well. When they released tuning, 7nm was still only starting.

But what am I saying. This is OCN.
"Kill nvidia! Kill the evil! All hail all mighty AMD!".
Better?

Quote: Originally Posted by Danzle View Post
Hmh, then i want a 50W RTX2080Ti That statement just sound like kids fighting and NV is like "i can lick my own elbow".
The 2080 and radeon VII have similar performance, and similar price.
The 2080 is a 225W TDP card, the radeon VII, using lower powered memory even, is a 295W TDP card. And yes, that is on a 7nm card.
At 275W, nvidia gain another 30% with the 2080 TI (even if its priced higher).
So yes, they have much more efficient GPUs. And that has been true for almost a decade now.
It is a fact, despite the hateful comments about it. No matter how much you hate it, you can't change that fact.
Whether they can keep it up, maybe not. But right now, they are.

If they gain the same performance as AMD going to 7nm, roughly 30%, on the same TDP, they will gain an even bigger lead if they use similar architecture, unless navi is huge architecture change.

Last edited by Defoler; 03-30-2019 at 03:54 PM.
post #36 of 215 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 04:03 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 340 (Unique: 241)
2080 is not a 225W card LOL, maybe with the stock restricted specs and hard locked and nonexistent voltage control by user. Even 2070 goes 250W+. 2080 is maybe a 350W card or there about. Any card is a 50W when you power throttle the crap out of it just like Nvidia is doing for generations now.
post #37 of 215 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 04:24 PM
Original 16-bit Genesis®

Rep: 67 (Unique: 44)
He talks a lot for someone 'not worried'.
post #38 of 215 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 05:08 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
With the advent of game streaming (data center gaming) that's about to take place, Nvidia should take a really really hard look in the mirror. No one is going to come $1k out of pocket anymore for their BS. Obviously some crazy people still will but I'll just pay a streaming fee every month to get an even better experience. Thanks, Google (ugh).

"You stare at your past, you'll end up staying there..."
post #39 of 215 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 05:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 5)
Quote: Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
With the advent of game streaming (data center gaming) that's about to take place, Nvidia should take a really really hard look in the mirror. No one is going to come $1k out of pocket anymore for their BS. Obviously some crazy people still will but I'll just pay a streaming fee every month to get an even better experience. Thanks, Google (ugh).
Game streaming will never become that popular due to esports.

CPU
Core I9-9900k @ 5.1
Motherboard
Asus Maximus XI Gene
GPU
EVGA 2080TI XC Black Edition
RAM
CMK16GX4M2K4700C19
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo m.2 nvme
Power Supply
Silverstone SFX-L 800W
Cooling
280mm Slim + 360MM Thick
Case
Fractal Design Meshify S2
Operating System
Windows 10 64bit
Monitor
Acer XB271HU
Audio
Sennheiser HD 800s + Questyle CMA600i
▲ hide details ▲
post #40 of 215 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter
sudo apt install sl

Rep: 178 (Unique: 123)
Quote: Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
What does nVidia have to worry about? nVidia already has GeForce Now which allows people to play pretty much any PC game while Google Stadia is a Linux platform. It's going to take Google Stadia awhile before it can compete with the other Cloud gaming providers. I suggest you wait until Microsoft releases their Project xCloud. Apple Arcade is going to have more titles than Google Stadia.

https://9to5google.com/2019/03/19/go...and-resources/

Silent
(20 items)
CPU
Core i9 9900K... CoffeeTime! @ 5.1Ghz w/ 1.36v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Radeon VII @ 2100Mhz/1250Mhz w/ 1218mV
RAM
TeamGroup Xtreem 32GB 3200Mhz CL15
Hard Drive
HP EX950 2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector Radeon VII - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Clear Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in