[PG] Valve's VR Headset is Called Index, and It's Coming Soon. - Page 11 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[PG] Valve's VR Headset is Called Index, and It's Coming Soon.

post #101 of 108 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 04:59 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 133 (Unique: 84)
Finally 120hz in a PC VR headset (PSVR did 120hz from the get go).

Hopefully we can get this ship steering in the right direction and actually get a high quality VR display on the market someday. At the very least everyone should be saturating a single Displayport cable at 2560x1440 per-eye. 1600x1440 isn’t amazing but it’s getting there.
I’ll admit it would be awkward asking normal people to run four DP1.2 cables to their headset, but we really need 4K120hz per-eye. Hopefully HDMI 2.1 and DP1.5 offer a reasonable single cable solution for VR display signal transmission.
(HDMI 2.1 with Display Stream Compression is supposed to do 8K120hz so 2x4K120hz should be well within the realm of possibility.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 108 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 08:49 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by ILoveHighDPI View Post

Hopefully we can get this ship steering in the right direction and actually get a high quality VR display on the market someday. At the very least everyone should be saturating a single Displayport cable at 2560x1440 per-eye. 1600x1440 isn’t amazing but it’s getting there.
I’ll admit it would be awkward asking normal people to run four DP1.2 cables to their headset, but we really need 4K120hz per-eye. Hopefully HDMI 2.1 and DP1.5 offer a reasonable single cable solution for VR display signal transmission.
(HDMI 2.1 with Display Stream Compression is supposed to do 8K120hz so 2x4K120hz should be well within the realm of possibility.)
Yes, interface tech is really the limiting factor right now, and GPU horse power. Monitors and VR are already hitting the wall with HDR, 4K+ and high refresh rates... Will likely be several years before it improves, they don't even have a finalized spec.

On a positive note I made it back onto the first wave of headsets! Meet the min spec right now with the 980 and should be able to taste 144hz when I upgrade to whatever NVIDIA has next.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Index.png
Views:	4
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	267778  

post #103 of 108 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 01:41 AM
mfw

Rep: 362 (Unique: 191)

The good news is that you don't need an entire 4K panel per eye because you're not going to be looking at 16:9+16:9. 2160p at 4:3 or a ratio thereabouts per eye should reduce connectivity constraints considerably.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Corepadded Logitech G703
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (B pads)
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #104 of 108 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 07:19 AM
To The Game

Rep: 289 (Unique: 197)
Quote: Originally Posted by bigjdubb View Post
I watched the Tested video about this headset and they were very impressed with what 120hz did for VR, more impressed than I expected. I still can't understand the justification for $1k but maybe they are banking on a lot of Vive users just buying the HMD as an upgrade.

At this point I think I am going to get the Quest to have some VR fun and say to hell with PC VR, for now. Racing games were the only thing I really wanted it connected to the PC for and I can wait for the right one to fill that role (big FOV, big res).
I'm on the quest. Going full wireless for vr without being tied to your computer is going to be revolutionary. I have a large 2 car garage that I can play vr in with the quest that I'd never drag one of my pc's to. I also have large empty (and climate controlled) spaces at work that I always wanted to try vr in but didn't want to drag a pc around.

I see it like anything else I own that's cordless. Have a corded circular saw. It's nice and powerful. Got a cordless circular saw as part of a set. it's not as sturdy or powerful but I haven't touched the corded saw since getting it. Same for everything else that I own corded and cordless options. Have a great corded grinder but I never touch it because I have a cordless one that's much easier to pull out and use.

I think corded pc based vr might not be long for the world or left to nothing but expensive vr enthusiast set ups.
post #105 of 108 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 11:24 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 133 (Unique: 84)
Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
The good news is that you don't need an entire 4K panel per eye because you're not going to be looking at 16:9+16:9. 2160p at 4:3 or a ratio thereabouts per eye should reduce connectivity constraints considerably.
Really for the FoV that VR should be using we should have 8K panels (and actually with the bespoke nature of these displays it wouldn’t hurt to move into the 10K-12K range), that’s just not realistic in the near future.
With full DSC they should be able to push 5K Per Eye across a single cable but that could still be impractical to transmit, at least 4K gives some wiggle room for bandwidth.

Is there a specific reason VR needs to move to 4:3? Do people get less motion sickness with more vertical FoV?
As long as the optics can match the screen height at 16:9 and I’m pretty sure most people would prefer it.
180 degree surround seems to be something a lot of people are shooting for, using 16:9 sounds like a good compromise.
post #106 of 108 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 11:41 AM
mfw

Rep: 362 (Unique: 191)
Is there a specific reason VR needs to move to 4:3? Do people get less motion sickness with more vertical FoV?
As long as the optics can match the screen height at 16:9 and I’m pretty sure most people would prefer it.
180 degree surround seems to be something a lot of people are shooting for, using 16:9 sounds like a good compromise.
I think 4:3 is closer to our natural FoV than 16:9 is. And considering most headsets are using similar ratios, it might be an accurate assessment.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Corepadded Logitech G703
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (B pads)
▲ hide details ▲
post #107 of 108 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 11:46 AM
I <3 narcissists

Rep: 208 (Unique: 132)
I have a good bit of experience with HMD's (not VR) for first person view with radio control and 4:3 is much better than 16:9 for that use. Our eyes have more of square FOV than a wide FOV so the 4:3 feels more natural, 16:9 feels like you are looking through a slot.

Things are different with VR though so I'm not sure if the screen ratio really matters as much. It seems like how the screen and optics are implemented together would be more important than the ratio of the screen itself. I think you could build two 2 equally good VR headsets with one of them being 4:3 and the other being 16:9, but they would have very different optics.

El Computer
(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard
Asrock X470 Taichi Ultimate
GPU
Radeon VII
GPU
EVGA 2080ti FTW3 Ultra
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO
Hard Drive
CRUCIAL 1TB MX500 M.2
Power Supply
EVGA G3
Cooling
CORSAIR H150I PRO
Case
LianLi PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG 32GK850G
Monitor
50" Vizio 4k TV
Keyboard
Logitech G110
Mouse
G.SKILL RIPJAWS MX780 USB
▲ hide details ▲

post #108 of 108 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 08:01 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 359 (Unique: 236)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in