[HotHardWare]Exclusive: NVIDIA's Tom 'TAP' Petersen Shockingly Departs For Intel - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[HotHardWare]Exclusive: NVIDIA's Tom 'TAP' Petersen Shockingly Departs For Intel

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 05:14 PM
Waiting for 10 and 7nm
 
tpi2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,916
Rep: 874 (Unique: 496)
Somewhat related, here's one of the first April fools': https://wccftech.com/intel-xe-unleas...dmap-and-more/

Quote:
I am told that Intel is planning to be very competitive in pricing and when asked hinted that their flagship would be more affordable than any counterpart on the market. This means we are looking at a maximum MSRP of $699 for the X2 flagship. The X2 GPU will be based on the new 4D XPoint memory and feature the Direct3D 14_2 feature level as far as hardware goes. Here are the complete specs that were discussed during the event:

DirectX 14 and 4D XPoint.

Is your CPU bottlenecking your GPU ? Find out: CPU and GPU usage along with FPS in-game
Read my reviews here.
Clubs (founder): The rare / unusual CPU club
Clubs (member): Corsair Professional HX / AX Series PSU Owners Club || The Official Cooler Master HAF X/932/922/912(+) Club
CPU
Core i7-3820
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth X79
GPU
MSI GTX 1060 6 GB Gaming X
RAM
16 GB Corsair DDR3 1866 Mhz Dominator
Hard Drive
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + WD Caviar Black 2TB
Optical Drive
Sony Optiarc DVD-RW
Power Supply
Corsair AX750 Professional Modular 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Corsair A70 + Noiseblocker M12-P
Case
Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Monitor
BenQ RL2455HM
Keyboard
Cooler Master Octane
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane
▲ hide details ▲


tpi2007 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 07:40 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
guttheslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 3,566
Rep: 108 (Unique: 63)
Quote: Originally Posted by b.walker36 View Post
If intel does something awesome with their GPUs it might be the first ComputerI built myself that won't have an nvidia product. They all either had an nvidia GPU or Chipset.
Dont get your hope too high up, this is Intel we are talking about. I cant remember when is the last time they offered competitive product.

guttheslayer is offline  
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 05:51 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
b.walker36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,919
Rep: 151 (Unique: 128)
Quote: Originally Posted by guttheslayer View Post
Dont get your hope too high up, this is Intel we are talking about. I cant remember when is the last time they offered competitive product.
.....Are you refering to GPU technology only? I'm fairly certain they offer competitive products in almost every sector they are in.

Quote:Originally Posted by Clinic http://static.overclock.net//img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its a benchmark thread...if you want pics go look on newegg. Thats what the cards look like. They didn't secretly send me orange ones.
Darkness
(17 items)
CPU
4690k
Motherboard
asus z97-ar
GPU
gigabyte 980 ti g1 gaming
RAM
G-Skill Ripjaw
Hard Drive
WD Black
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 840
Power Supply
Seasonic 850w Platinum
Case
Corsair 600T SE
Operating System
Windows 8 Pro 64Bit
Monitor
Ultrasharp 27"
Monitor
HP W2338H 23"
Keyboard
Black Widow Ultimate
Mouse
Zowie EC2
Mouse
Zowie (Pure exellence)
Audio
dt880
Audio
sound blaster recon3d
Audio
swan m10
▲ hide details ▲


b.walker36 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 06:12 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
SuprPwrUsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 16
Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post
Somewhat related, here's one of the first April fools': https://wccftech.com/intel-xe-unleas...dmap-and-more/




DirectX 14 and 4D XPoint.
Man... If only this was real...

I hate April Fools.
SuprPwrUsr is offline  
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 06:43 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
skupples's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 17,302
Rep: 525 (Unique: 296)
glad to see that the conspiracies of years past are now becoming the truth of the future.

Intel dGPU competition incoming.

yes yes, incredibly hard, blah blah, starting w/ light weight products, rabble rabble.

that aside. Time passes every second of the day, and any competition anywhere is mucho beuno for me.
skupples is offline  
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 06:44 AM
PC Evangelist
 
ZealotKi11er's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Toronto, CA
Posts: 45,480
Rep: 1789 (Unique: 1170)
Quote: Originally Posted by b.walker36 View Post
.....Are you refering to GPU technology only? I'm fairly certain they offer competitive products in almost every sector they are in.
That is not what he means. You always have to pay to get the good stuff from Intel.

Ishimura
(13 items)
Yamato
(10 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7-3770K @ 4.8GHz
Motherboard
ASRock Z77E-ITX
GPU
AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition
RAM
AVEXIR Blitz 1.1 16GB DDR3-2400MHz CL10
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB
Hard Drive
Toshiba X300 5TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
Cooling
Corsair H100i GTX
Case
Fractal Design Define Nano S
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
Monitor
LG OLED55C7P
Keyboard
Cooler Master MasterKeys MK750
Mouse
Finalmouse Air58 Ninja
CPU
Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz
Motherboard
ASUS Z170 Deluxe
GPU
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-3000 CL15
Hard Drive
Samsung SM961 512GB
Hard Drive
HGST DeskStar NAS 6TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2
Cooling
Cooler Master Nepton 280L
Case
Fractal Design Meshify C TG
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
▲ hide details ▲


ZealotKi11er is offline  
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 12:32 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
tajoh111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,349
Rep: 214 (Unique: 106)
This is a big loss for Nvidia because he was kind of the face of their marketing. Besides Huang, people were most familiar with Tom and people mostly had a positive image of him rather than the polarizing Huang.

Petersen and Huang are opposites in terms of personality, where tom seems like beta person, who follows the leader but is easily bullied. This is reflected by his stage presence when he shares the stage with Huang and his shy demeanor. Huang seems like a guy who tries his hardest to be an alpha. This is reflected by his overconfident statements and his flashy dress and trips to the gym. However I think he's was originally a beta which makes him insecure when things don't go his way. This can make the person a bully which is reflected when Peterson and Huang shared the stage together. Whenever there are problems with his tech demos, this insecurity shows. He always just seems so nervous and you can tell someone is getting hell after because he feels humiliated and needs to blame someone. If you want to look at the personality Huang wants to emulate, it's Steve Jobs. Jobs was famous for being a jerk but seems like a true alpha unlike Huang. This was reflected by his confidence even when things didn't go his way and his ability to carry a strong presence without showing flashy clothes and going to the gym to show off his figure.

Back to Peterson, I think the reason why he left is because mostly money but also because he was tired of being bullied.

I think Huang seems like a guy who is nice to most of his employees particularly his low level ones because he wants everyone to like him which is reflected by his high approval rating from his employees, but put him in a situation where he's around powerful people or on a public stage and he shifts to this fake alpha personality because he wants to put on a strong image and be one of the cool kids. Anything that conflicts with this image makes him lash out and since Tom was around him during these events he was the recipient of these moments.
tajoh111 is offline  
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 11:04 PM
What should be here ?
 
huzzug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,187
Rep: 355 (Unique: 255)
Quote: Originally Posted by tajoh111 View Post
This is a big loss for Nvidia because he was kind of the face of their marketing. Besides Huang, people were most familiar with Tom and people mostly had a positive image of him rather than the polarizing Huang.

Petersen and Huang are opposites in terms of personality, where tom seems like beta person, who follows the leader but is easily bullied. This is reflected by his stage presence when he shares the stage with Huang and his shy demeanor. Huang seems like a guy who tries his hardest to be an alpha. This is reflected by his overconfident statements and his flashy dress and trips to the gym. However I think he's was originally a beta which makes him insecure when things don't go his way. This can make the person a bully which is reflected when Peterson and Huang shared the stage together. Whenever there are problems with his tech demos, this insecurity shows. He always just seems so nervous and you can tell someone is getting hell after because he feels humiliated and needs to blame someone. If you want to look at the personality Huang wants to emulate, it's Steve Jobs. Jobs was famous for being a jerk but seems like a true alpha unlike Huang. This was reflected by his confidence even when things didn't go his way and his ability to carry a strong presence without showing flashy clothes and going to the gym to show off his figure.

Back to Peterson, I think the reason why he left is because mostly money but also because he was tired of being bullied.

I think Huang seems like a guy who is nice to most of his employees particularly his low level ones because he wants everyone to like him which is reflected by his high approval rating from his employees, but put him in a situation where he's around powerful people or on a public stage and he shifts to this fake alpha personality because he wants to put on a strong image and be one of the cool kids. Anything that conflicts with this image makes him lash out and since Tom was around him during these events he was the recipient of these moments.
Huang isn't anything like what you described. The guy knows his company and his products and actually showed it at times on stage which made him look smug, but was just the passion he showed in his products. You see the same with Gates and Jobs. As far as him changing personalities around people, everyone does it internally in a business. Bit I didn't know you were certified Behavioral Psychologist who has studied personalities indepth.

#2 their debt is insane, even for a "diverse field" company. They cannot even afford to service the debt maintenance let alone make an actual dent in the debt itself. - Internet Stranger
huzzug is online now  
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 02:14 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Poland
Posts: 2,409
Rep: 45 (Unique: 37)
Quote: Originally Posted by manolith View Post
intel is serious about their upcoming gpu it seems.
I think that they are more desperate than serious. Its the biggest company from it market and they still dont have top people..

Ryzen 5 2600 | Asrock x470 K4 Fatality | 2x8 3000Mhz DDR4 | GTX 1660 Ti | 480GB SSD | IN WIN 303 | be quiet! STRAIGHT POWER 10 500W
prznar1 is offline  
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 03:23 AM
Amiga 600
 
delboy67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ireland
Posts: 647
Rep: 52 (Unique: 32)
Quote: Originally Posted by prznar1 View Post
I think that they are more desperate than serious. Its the biggest company from it market and they still dont have top people..
I think bigging up certain names is just marketing itself, all these companies have top people otherwise they wouldnt exist, they just select some to be a public face for one reason or another. eg Ever heard of Suzanne Plummer? Apparantly had a big hand in ryzen and has been at amd for decades, she has been designing cpus from 1989......

Quote: Originally Posted by tajoh111 View Post
This is a big loss for Nvidia because he was kind of the face of their marketing. Besides Huang, people were most familiar with Tom and people mostly had a positive image of him rather than the polarizing Huang.

Petersen and Huang are opposites in terms of personality, where tom seems like beta person, who follows the leader but is easily bullied. This is reflected by his stage presence when he shares the stage with Huang and his shy demeanor. Huang seems like a guy who tries his hardest to be an alpha. This is reflected by his overconfident statements and his flashy dress and trips to the gym. However I think he's was originally a beta which makes him insecure when things don't go his way. This can make the person a bully which is reflected when Peterson and Huang shared the stage together. Whenever there are problems with his tech demos, this insecurity shows. He always just seems so nervous and you can tell someone is getting hell after because he feels humiliated and needs to blame someone. If you want to look at the personality Huang wants to emulate, it's Steve Jobs. Jobs was famous for being a jerk but seems like a true alpha unlike Huang. This was reflected by his confidence even when things didn't go his way and his ability to carry a strong presence without showing flashy clothes and going to the gym to show off his figure.

Back to Peterson, I think the reason why he left is because mostly money but also because he was tired of being bullied.

I think Huang seems like a guy who is nice to most of his employees particularly his low level ones because he wants everyone to like him which is reflected by his high approval rating from his employees, but put him in a situation where he's around powerful people or on a public stage and he shifts to this fake alpha personality because he wants to put on a strong image and be one of the cool kids. Anything that conflicts with this image makes him lash out and since Tom was around him during these events he was the recipient of these moments.
JH is an alfa, you've just described a cultural difference, I'm mean look at his job and what hes done with nvidia how can you say hes a 'try hard'!!!!

C64>Amiga600>Packard Bell pre-built>Custom build1>Compaq pre-built>Custom build2>xb360+ps3>Custom build3>Custom build4+HP Envy 15

Last edited by ryan92084; 04-30-2019 at 06:35 AM.
delboy67 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off