[Wired] Exclusive: What to Expect From Sony's Next-Gen PlayStation - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Wired] Exclusive: What to Expect From Sony's Next-Gen PlayStation

post #21 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 10:40 PM
Original 16-bit Genesis®

Rep: 66 (Unique: 43)
Quote: Originally Posted by The Robot View Post
Supposedly it was also in PS4, but didn't get much use for some reason.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/7513/...amds-trueaudio

If the game uses FMOD, there's a chance the developer used TrueAudio and not realized it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 11:01 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 15 (Unique: 15)
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
I guess it works well for everyone since consoles are stuffed full of laptop grade AMD hardware.

I've been saying for almost a year now - if you've not got a lot, save your loot for the GPUs that release after the new consoles. Those are always the series with major gains, and that'll apply more than ever now that consoles are aiming for 30FPS+ 4K ray traced game play.
The article states the PS5 will support 8k (assuming at 30fps) so [email protected] shouldn't really be an issue. It seems pretty far fetched to me (the 8k part), just quoting the article.

Xbox Live: Brownbob06
post #23 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 12:03 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 133 (Unique: 84)
Quote: Originally Posted by brownbob06 View Post
The article states the PS5 will support 8k (assuming at 30fps) so [email protected] shouldn't really be an issue. It seems pretty far fetched to me (the 8k part), just quoting the article.
I was running games in 8K from the moment I got my first 4K monitor and a 980Ti (Minecraft, most games from around 2011).
That Sony is stating PS5 runs games in 8K is no surprise, it should come as nothing but a disappointment if they didn’t.
Hopefully they allow 8K rendering of some PS4 games, Especially Checkerboard 8K as a method of Super Sampling, which would only need a theoretical 14.72 T-Flops at the absolute most to run any PS4 game (but much less in reality because PS4 games use a lot of GPGPU functionality so the real rendering workload would be much lower).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 07:34 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 161 (Unique: 120)
Quote: Originally Posted by ILoveHighDPI View Post
I was running games in 8K from the moment I got my first 4K monitor and a 980Ti (Minecraft, most games from around 2011).
That Sony is stating PS5 runs games in 8K is no surprise, it should come as nothing but a disappointment if they didn’t.
Hopefully they allow 8K rendering of some PS4 games, Especially Checkerboard 8K as a method of Super Sampling, which would only need a theoretical 14.72 T-Flops at the absolute most to run any PS4 game (but much less in reality because PS4 games use a lot of GPGPU functionality so the real rendering workload would be much lower).
I have no doubt it can do 8k, but I have major doubts it would be worth all the other stuff you would have to forgo in order to make the frame rates reasonable over 4k.

Give me the better lighting, shadows, texture quality, and all the other fun stuff that really adds to the ambiance at 4k over something that looks like morrowind at 8k

post #25 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:57 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 19 (Unique: 19)
Quote: Originally Posted by DNMock View Post
I have no doubt it can do 8k, but I have major doubts it would be worth all the other stuff you would have to forgo in order to make the frame rates reasonable over 4k.

Give me the better lighting, shadows, texture quality, and all the other fun stuff that really adds to the ambiance at 4k over something that looks like morrowind at 8k
I totally agree with you here. 8K is ridiculous to even talk about for this console, no one has these TVs, the improvement over 4K visually is incredibly minimal, and the performance costs for the visual gain make no sense.

To be honest I’m still apprehensive about true 4K on this console. Can a 2080ti do run games in 4K maxed out? In most games yes, but there are still a few it struggles with, and that’s a card over twice as much as this entire machine. Now take into account new engines, assets, lighting, physics, etc, and the fact you will see a generational leap in all of these. Most of your GPU and CPU overhead gained over previous gen will be gone.

post #26 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:37 AM
I <3 narcissists

Rep: 208 (Unique: 132)
Oh I'm sure the PS5 will be amazeballs and just churn through 8k like it was 4k. It will be limited to 30fps but that's going to be a connection limitation not a performance limitation.

We are talking about 2d content right?

El Computer
(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard
Asrock X470 Taichi Ultimate
GPU
Radeon VII
GPU
EVGA 2080ti FTW3 Ultra
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO
Hard Drive
CRUCIAL 1TB MX500 M.2
Power Supply
EVGA G3
Cooling
CORSAIR H150I PRO
Case
LianLi PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG 32GK850G
Monitor
50" Vizio 4k TV
Keyboard
Logitech G110
Mouse
G.SKILL RIPJAWS MX780 USB
▲ hide details ▲

post #27 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:50 AM
April 2020

Rep: 309 (Unique: 236)
Eh, just give me 4k/60fps...for real this time. I'm assuming the 8k refers to movies.

PCMR
(17 items)
CPU
RYZEN 1700
Motherboard
ASROCK TAICHI X370
GPU
RADEON VEGA VII
RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200
Hard Drive
WD Red 4TB NAS Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM (x2)
Hard Drive
8TB Seagate Barracuda Hard drive internal 3.5" (x2)
Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series 2.5" 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1300 G2
Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S (CPU COOLER)
Cooling
Cooler Master JetFlo 120mm Blue LED Fan (X6)
Case
LIAN LI PC-V760B
Operating System
WINDOWS 10 64
Monitor
Dell UltraSharp UP2718Q - LED monitor - 4K - 27"
Keyboard
VORTEX POK3R WHITE EDITION
Mouse
LOGITECH G305 WIRELESS GAMING MOUSE
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598 Cs Headphones
Other
Real Arcade Pro. 4 Kai Modded
▲ hide details ▲
post #28 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 12:02 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 525 (Unique: 296)
Quote: Originally Posted by DNMock View Post

LOL

you might get a title here and there that can do 60FPS 4K on the new consoles, but it most definitely won't be the norm. 2080ti isn't even all that great at 4K (thus why I went to used 1080tis) and is stupidly expensive, yet you expect a less than $1,000 console to dominate 4K? lol!

as to 8K.. suuure, maybe for pre-rendered cut scenes, and movies.

okie dokie, checking outta lala land now.
post #29 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 12:07 PM
Graphics Junkie

Rep: 15 (Unique: 15)
Quote: Originally Posted by huzzug View Post
I mean as I said, that how you perceive time when you grow older. So.....

That's like every gen release. Again, it appears that things lasted longer when you were younger because it's just that. You were younger.
It's not just about time, it's about specs. The Xbox360 and ps3 were extremely limited on memory even from day one. Half a gig of ram was not enough, and the limitations really held back devs for years.

With ps4,xb1 its not an issue. Those consoles have enough ram to keep up with developers at least.

It's one thing to have consoles that play the games at lower resolution and lower frame rates, but it's a big problem when the consoles are so limited that cross platform games don't even look like current gen games on PC, which is what we had for a long time during the ps3 era. Those consoles should have had double the memory at least.

As for 8k, just stop. It's not going to happen. Even if they say it supports it, it would make absolutely no sense. I can tell you from personal experience, 4k is great because it reduces aliasing to a point where it's almost completely gone. The benefit of 8k over 4k would never be worth it in any near future.

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti

Last edited by UltraMega; 04-17-2019 at 12:13 PM.
post #30 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 01:14 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 525 (Unique: 296)
8k is also 4x the density of 4K...

4K, the thing 2080ti even struggles to do well.

most the time 1440p @ ultra looks better than what 2080ti can do @ 4K.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in