[Business Insider]Review units of Samsung's folding phone are breaking, and it's a potential fiasco that threatens the company's fragile reputation - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Business Insider]Review units of Samsung's folding phone are breaking, and it's a potential fiasco that threatens the company's fragile reputation

post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 10:27 PM
MegaTechPC

Rep: 1092 (Unique: 517)
Quote: Originally Posted by magnek View Post
Says right in the article:

As to the part in bold, I present you this: https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/17/1...flexible-bulge
If you look a little closer into the Kovach case, his phone looks positively awful (I dunno how he mangled it the way he did but it doesn't look a day old, that's for sure). Then slide over to the Dieter situation and (first off, The Verge, so almost nuff said) it turns out that they use molding clay as a support structure for their phones when doing B-roll footage, so the speculation is that a piece of this sticky clay broke off after the photo shoot and worked its way into the hinge, behind the display causing the bulge. All the rest of the failures as far as I know are straight up down to user error IMO. I mean, the screen is plastic in the first place, so why in the heck would any of these people attempt to remove a layer from it? I acknowledge that it does kinda look like a typical screen protector and that Samsung should definitely have integrated the film better so as to discourage that thought, but I know that if I had gotten one of these review units it would never even have occurred to me to just start peeling stuff off of a completely new category of device, especially one with a plastic foldable display. I mean, for real??? Also, its been clearly demonstrated that the actual retail units of the Galaxy Fold come with a written warning in the packaging that specifically addresses this very issue and flat out states not to attempt to remove this protective layer or to attach any kind of screen protector or sticker to the display. So there's that.

Now that I have somewhat defended Samsung in this PR mess, let me straight up tell you exactly what they did wrong to bring this issue down upon themselves. First and foremost, the fact that there was absolutely no communication of this potential problem relayed to the reviewers who received press units is just inexcusable. The warning label that will be in the retail packaging was not provided to these reviewers (even though I still think it is beyond absurd for any of them to have attempted peeling stuff off of the display in the first place). Samsung absolutely should've made it clear to every reviewer that got a Galaxy Fold that they should under no circumstances attempt to peel any layers off the screen. It also must be said that the potential of screen failure from debris working in behind the screen should have been realized and mitigated by Samsung (if that's what ended up happening).

In the end this is most definitely a first-gen product and a form-factor that has never been tried before so there was bound to be issues. I personally never had any interest in the Galaxy Fold since the design itself was just not compelling enough to me (the front display should've been much larger, there shouldn't be any notch on the interior screen, etc). That said, I always applaud companies for thinking outside the box and taking risks to bring new and exciting products to market (unlike other "Fruit" companies that always wait around until everyone else has innovated before jumping in then claiming they invented that tech).

Quote: Originally Posted by The Robot View Post
I agree with posters here, all these phones with moving parts are resembling glamorous toys, not a tool for communication. You can't even put it in a case, all it takes is one clumsy move and your $2000 phone is a paperweight. That film instead of glass is a joke, the fact that it can be peeled off with your bare hands doesn't exactly inspire confidence.
Um, and how exactly do you propose to make a glass screen that can fold??? Unless you know of some alternative physics that nobody else on earth is aware of....

3DMark11 - P25138
3DMark Firestrike - P20998

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

Last edited by ryan92084; 04-22-2019 at 04:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 12:55 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 77 (Unique: 62)
Quote: Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric View Post
Um, and how exactly do you propose to make a glass screen that can fold??? Unless you know of some alternative physics that nobody else on earth is aware of....
It's possible if you make it extremely thin, and keep a bend radius rather than a sharp crease. Just look at fiberglass if you want to see how flexible glass can be. Certainly plausible to laminate a very thin layer of glass on the front.

post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:30 AM
mfw

Rep: 362 (Unique: 191)
Quote: Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
They don't read they just peel.
They do it for imgur.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Corepadded Logitech G703
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (B pads)
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:31 AM
Senioritis Member

Rep: 514 (Unique: 324)
Quote: Originally Posted by TranquilTempest View Post
It's possible if you make it extremely thin, and keep a bend radius rather than a sharp crease. Just look at fiberglass if you want to see how flexible glass can be. Certainly plausible to laminate a very thin layer of glass on the front.
Comparing fiberglass to screen glass is comparing apples to kumquats. For starters, you can't even read through fiberglass.

Jeannie
CPU
i7-3930k
Motherboard
ASUS P9X79 WS
GPU
MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
GPU
Monoprice 1x2 powered HDMI Splitter
RAM
Kingston HyperX 32GB (8 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3K8/32GX
Hard Drive
128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Optical Drive
LG 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Drive CH12LS28
Power Supply
Corsair HX750W
Cooling
COOLER MASTER GeminII S524 120mm Long Life Sleeve CPU Cooler
Case
Antec Two Hundred v2
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate
Monitor
3 x Asus VG248QE
Monitor
Vizio VO320E 32" TV
Keyboard
Logitech G510s
Mouse
Logitech M525 with Unifying Receiving
Audio
Corsair SP2500 2.1 Speakers
Audio
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Express x1 Interface 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card
Other
LSI 9211-8i HBA card
Other
HooToo® HT-CR001 3.5" PCI-E to USB 3.0 Multi-in-One Front Panel Internal Card Reader (6 Memory Slots, Genesys GL3220 Chipset) & SuperSpeed USB 3.0 3-Port Hub (VIA VL800 Chipset), can read & write: M2/MS Micro, High-Speed CF(UDMA), UHS-I, SD, SDHC,...
Other
StarTech HSB220SAT25B 2 Drive 2.5in Trayless Hot Swap SATA Mobile Rack Backplane
CPU
i7-5930K Haswell-e
Motherboard
Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.1
GPU
Visiontek Radeon 7870 2GB with 6 miniDisplayports
RAM
G-Skill Ripjaws 64GB (8x8GB) DDR4 2133
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SSDs
Hard Drive
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB m.2 SSD boot drive
Power Supply
Corsair AX760
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S Cpu cooler
Case
Scratch built. Currently under construction at https://www.overclock.net/t/1602023/preparing-for-a-scratch-built-case
Operating System
Win 7 Ultimate
Mouse
Logitech M525
Mouse
El Cheapo Allsop hard plastic
▲ hide details ▲
post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:49 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 464 (Unique: 312)
Quote: Originally Posted by TranquilTempest View Post
The people would then have tried peeling off that thin glass layer.
post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 06:15 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 300 (Unique: 219)
Why is there even anything to grab to be able to peel it off. It should be out of reach or a single piece around the edges. Sure if you remove the screen from phone then you may go poke around in it but if it's assembled you should not be able to.
It's a problem of bad design and users always wanting to peel something off for no reason, simply a human stupidity on both ends.

Glass is flexible when thin. You only think of it as a rigid object because most glass you encounter is small and thick. And you could peel it off just as well if they don't bond it well and hide the edges so you can't grab it.

It's a showpiece product, do they make much money on it, who knows, probable not any.
post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 07:19 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 520 (Unique: 359)
Quote: Originally Posted by m4fox90 View Post
Kinda funny that people now want to return to flip phones.
Considering they aren't comparable really in any way, not really a valid point.

post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 08:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 77 (Unique: 62)
Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Comparing fiberglass to screen glass is comparing apples to kumquats. For starters, you can't even read through fiberglass.
It's the thickness that allows it to bend, being many strands instead of a single piece is what makes it scatter light. By your argument, solid sugar, powdered sugar, granulated sugar, and cotton candy are all completely different materials.

https://www.us.schott.com/advanced_o...ass/index.html

post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 11:22 AM
Senioritis Member

Rep: 514 (Unique: 324)
You are completely missing the point. Fiberglass and ultra thin glass are not the same thing; not even close. And even ultra thin glass couldn't be folded as much as would be needed for a folding phone.

Jeannie
CPU
i7-3930k
Motherboard
ASUS P9X79 WS
GPU
MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
GPU
Monoprice 1x2 powered HDMI Splitter
RAM
Kingston HyperX 32GB (8 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3K8/32GX
Hard Drive
128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Optical Drive
LG 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Drive CH12LS28
Power Supply
Corsair HX750W
Cooling
COOLER MASTER GeminII S524 120mm Long Life Sleeve CPU Cooler
Case
Antec Two Hundred v2
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate
Monitor
3 x Asus VG248QE
Monitor
Vizio VO320E 32" TV
Keyboard
Logitech G510s
Mouse
Logitech M525 with Unifying Receiving
Audio
Corsair SP2500 2.1 Speakers
Audio
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Express x1 Interface 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card
Other
LSI 9211-8i HBA card
Other
HooToo® HT-CR001 3.5" PCI-E to USB 3.0 Multi-in-One Front Panel Internal Card Reader (6 Memory Slots, Genesys GL3220 Chipset) & SuperSpeed USB 3.0 3-Port Hub (VIA VL800 Chipset), can read & write: M2/MS Micro, High-Speed CF(UDMA), UHS-I, SD, SDHC,...
Other
StarTech HSB220SAT25B 2 Drive 2.5in Trayless Hot Swap SATA Mobile Rack Backplane
CPU
i7-5930K Haswell-e
Motherboard
Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.1
GPU
Visiontek Radeon 7870 2GB with 6 miniDisplayports
RAM
G-Skill Ripjaws 64GB (8x8GB) DDR4 2133
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SSDs
Hard Drive
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB m.2 SSD boot drive
Power Supply
Corsair AX760
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S Cpu cooler
Case
Scratch built. Currently under construction at https://www.overclock.net/t/1602023/preparing-for-a-scratch-built-case
Operating System
Win 7 Ultimate
Mouse
Logitech M525
Mouse
El Cheapo Allsop hard plastic
▲ hide details ▲
post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 12:02 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 135 (Unique: 102)
Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
You are completely missing the point. Fiberglass and ultra thin glass are not the same thing; not even close. And even ultra thin glass couldn't be folded as much as would be needed for a folding phone.
While it's true that stretching glass thin enough will make it flexible, you're still right on principal IMO.
If you stretched glass that thin you'd end up with something useless for a screen since you'd be able to bend all of it everywhere. If you were going to do that you'd be defeating the point of making it out of glass.
Or maybe we're all stupid and KB warrior>Samsung's engineering teams?

While I see the appeal of this device I don't really understand why Bendgate was such a big deal but people are willing to spend $2000 on a phone I could break with one finger. Also I don't see the aspect ratio very appealing which makes the extra screen space pointless to me...then again I still see them as just a phone so maybe I'm just too old.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in