[lm] Tim Cook Blames Intel for Declining Mac Sales - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[lm] Tim Cook Blames Intel for Declining Mac Sales

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 10:59 PM
Z-80 > i9
 
Brutuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ballarat, Australia
Posts: 17,239
Rep: 568 (Unique: 398)
Quote: Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
macOS is the second easiest desktop OS to use after Chrome OS. Hopefully Microsoft will cave and release a Unix based desktop OS.
It's really not. As someone who runs 24/7 Linux: Windows is the easiest OS to use because basically everyone has been using it for so long that its way of doing things is kind of ingrained into culture at this point.

CPU
Intel Core i5 3770k @ 4.6Ghz
Motherboard
ASRock Z77 Pro3
GPU
AMD Radeon R9 Nano (1050/550)
RAM
4x4GB G.Skill Ares 2200Mhz CL11
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 250GB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Black 1TB WD1002FAEX
Hard Drive
Samsung Spinpoint EcoGreen 2TB
Hard Drive
Toshiba P300 2TB
Optical Drive
Pioneer DVR-220LBKS
Power Supply
eVGA Supernova P2 650w
Cooling
Noctua NH-D14
Case
Lian Li Lancool PC-K60
Operating System
Arch Linux x86-64
Operating System
Windows 10 Bloatfree Edition
Monitor
LG 29WK500-P (2560x1080, 75Hz, Freesync)
Monitor
BenQ G2020HD
Keyboard
Ducky Shine III Year of the Snake, Cherry Blue
Mouse
SteelSeries Sensei Professional
Mouse
Artisan Hien Mid Japan Black Large
Audio
ASUS Xonar DX
Audio
Samson Rubicon R6a
Other
NZXT Sentry Mesh 30w Fan Controller
▲ hide details ▲


Brutuz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 11:03 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
TwilightEscape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cali
Posts: 829
Rep: 72 (Unique: 66)
Quote: Originally Posted by Brutuz View Post
It's really not. As someone who runs 24/7 Linux: Windows is the easiest OS to use because basically everyone has been using it for so long that its way of doing things is kind of ingrained into culture at this point.
You're absolutely right. Just like speaking Chinese is like breathing for everyone because the majority of the world uses it so often.

TwilightEscape is offline  
post #13 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 11:15 PM
Mice is bad civilization
 
Melan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: 0,0
Posts: 3,161
Rep: 108 (Unique: 82)
Quote: Originally Posted by Brutuz View Post
It's really not. As someone who runs 24/7 Linux: Windows is the easiest OS to use because basically everyone has been using it for so long that its way of doing things is kind of ingrained into culture at this point.
Yeah, well that culture needs to die asap. I don’t want scheduled updates which later either succeed and break drivers, or fail and while recovering an old version deletes my files, or fails catastrophically requiring a complete reinstall. Especially when I’m on the move with a laptop.
Melan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 11:20 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Vengeance47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,192
Rep: 121 (Unique: 112)
Quote: Originally Posted by Brutuz View Post
It's really not. As someone who runs 24/7 Linux: Windows is the easiest OS to use because basically everyone has been using it for so long that its way of doing things is kind of ingrained into culture at this point.
Just because its ingrained doesn't mean its easier to use. Windows has a LOT of caveats that we've just sort of accepted, but accepting it doesn't mean its more intuitive.

OT: If I was Tim Cook I'd be more concerned about focusing on getting my engineers to stop making products that are inferior in almost every aspect than models from 5 years ago (barring obvious performance increases). I know quite a few former Apple users who have switched over to Windows based systems recently as Windows is getting better support for creative software and they can get a better built machine that doesn't thermal throttle or break every 6 months only to get horrific 'service' from Apple support.

[Official]AMD RX 480/ 470/ 460 Owners Club
Current Rig
(9 items)
CPU
i5 2500k
Motherboard
MSI Z77A-GD65
GPU
Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC
RAM
G.Skill Ripjaw X 2133MHz
Hard Drive
OCZ Vertex 2
Power Supply
Silverstone ST1200
Cooling
Antec Kuhler 620
Case
Corsair 200R
Operating System
Windows 10
▲ hide details ▲


Vengeance47 is offline  
post #15 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 11:42 PM
Performance is the bible
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,610
Rep: 433 (Unique: 299)
Quote: Originally Posted by Brutuz View Post
because basically everyone has been using it for so long
macos has been around as long as windows. Considering the origins of both, macos is actually older.
Windows 95 (the UI that started what we know now), came out in 1995, while the os X, the UI that started what macos is today, came out in 2001, but it was more comparable to XP, which came out in late 2001.

So I can't say I agree with your statement.

Quote: Originally Posted by Seronx View Post
So, this potentially means AMD or internal ARM.
From what I saw in rumors, they already work on replacing intel with their own CPUs based on ARM.

Quote: Originally Posted by Venomal1c3 View Post
Par for the course with (Cr)Apple. Blaming their inadequacies on someone/thing else & then act like they are doing them a favor. Cause it couldn't possibly be any fault of their own, right?.
Apple do not make CPUs.
They relay on performance and availability from others (intel or AMD).
If their supplier can't provide faster and more powerful CPUs, and they can't replace supplier easily, what he stated is correct, even if it sounds like an excuse.

They can't replace intel because AMD do not have TB3 support yet, so if they sell less macs because the new ones aren't a big enough performance increase, that is, at the end of the day, because intel can't make faster CPUs.


Defoler is online now  
post #16 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 03:35 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Vengeance47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,192
Rep: 121 (Unique: 112)
Quote: Originally Posted by Defoler View Post
Apple do not make CPUs.
They relay on performance and availability from others (intel or AMD).
If their supplier can't provide faster and more powerful CPUs, and they can't replace supplier easily, what he stated is correct, even if it sounds like an excuse.

They can't replace intel because AMD do not have TB3 support yet, so if they sell less macs because the new ones aren't a big enough performance increase, that is, at the end of the day, because intel can't make faster CPUs.
Yes, Apple don't make CPU's, and Intel's supply woes are causing issues for a bunch of SI's.

But Apple can't really complain about a lack of performance increase on Intel when Apple REFUSE to adequately cool the chips they choose to use in their products. Resulting in ridiculous thermal throttling and a 100*C operating temperature which will kill the chip long-term. Apple could get better performance with the chips available to them right now if they would stop trying to cram i9 and 18-core Xeon products into a chassis that can't adequately cool them. The degree to which those 'high end' Mac's thermal throttle is ridiculous and over prolonged work loads you're losing a LOT of performance. So yes, you can blame Intel for supply issues but don't blame them for lack of performance when Apple designs can't extract maximum performance

[Official]AMD RX 480/ 470/ 460 Owners Club
Current Rig
(9 items)
CPU
i5 2500k
Motherboard
MSI Z77A-GD65
GPU
Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC
RAM
G.Skill Ripjaw X 2133MHz
Hard Drive
OCZ Vertex 2
Power Supply
Silverstone ST1200
Cooling
Antec Kuhler 620
Case
Corsair 200R
Operating System
Windows 10
▲ hide details ▲


Vengeance47 is offline  
post #17 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 05:13 AM
Not a linux lobbyist
 
rluker5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,561
Rep: 42 (Unique: 33)
Quote: Originally Posted by Brutuz View Post
It's really not. As someone who runs 24/7 Linux: Windows is the easiest OS to use because basically everyone has been using it for so long that its way of doing things is kind of ingrained into culture at this point.
The barely computer literate are good evidence of this. Even if there are fewer steps involved in doing something, people like my parents would quietly abandon a mac, linux or chromebook system before learning it on their own. They already know windows and that's how it should work to them.
I don't know linux very well and what frustrates me is when I try to adjust some setting to get it like windows, the setting doesn't exist, and I try for a long time to find it and try things that are close, but not right to get what I want. Sometimes this has unintended consequences. You have probably seen this before. That's what my parents would do with macos.

L5
(19 items)
Lea2
(12 items)
L7
(11 items)
CPU
5950hq
Motherboard
z97 Classified
GPU
Aorus 1080ti Waterforce
GPU
Aorus 1080ti Waterforce
RAM
16 G Gskill Trident @ 2400,cas10,1.575v
RAM
16 G Team Extreme @ 2400,cas10,1.575v
Hard Drive
2xSamsung 840 EVO 250G
Hard Drive
seagate barracuda 3T
Hard Drive
Optane 900p 480G OS
Optical Drive
Asus BW-16D1HT
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova 1300 G2
Cooling
Cooler Master MasterLiquid Pro 120 (cpu)
Cooling
2 140mm case fans, 2 120mm
Case
Fractal Design R4 (no window)
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
panasonic TC-58AX800U
Audio
Focal Elear
Audio
SoundbasterX AE-5
Other
Megatron
CPU
4770k
Motherboard
Asus Z87 Deluxe
GPU
Asus 780ti DC2OC
GPU
Asus 780ti DC2OC
RAM
8Gb patriot 1600mhz
Hard Drive
ROG Raidr 240Gb pcie
Hard Drive
1Tb WD blue
Power Supply
Pc Power&Cooling silencer Mk2 950w
Cooling
Deepcool Lucifer V2
Case
DIYPC P48-W
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
40"tv
CPU
4980hq
Motherboard
Asus H81T/CSM
RAM
16GB 1600 generic
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 evo 120gb
Power Supply
Skyvast 90w brick for hp pavilion something
Cooling
SilverStone Tek Super Slim
Case
SilverStone Tek PT13B
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
50" samsung plasma 720p
Keyboard
Logitech K400+
Other
Intel wifi ac card and noname antennas
▲ hide details ▲
rluker5 is offline  
post #18 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 05:49 AM
Performance is the bible
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,610
Rep: 433 (Unique: 299)
Quote: Originally Posted by Vengeance47 View Post
Yes, Apple don't make CPU's, and Intel's supply woes are causing issues for a bunch of SI's.

But Apple can't really complain about a lack of performance increase on Intel when Apple REFUSE to adequately cool the chips they choose to use in their products. Resulting in ridiculous thermal throttling and a 100*C operating temperature which will kill the chip long-term. Apple could get better performance with the chips available to them right now if they would stop trying to cram i9 and 18-core Xeon products into a chassis that can't adequately cool them. The degree to which those 'high end' Mac's thermal throttle is ridiculous and over prolonged work loads you're losing a LOT of performance. So yes, you can blame Intel for supply issues but don't blame them for lack of performance when Apple designs can't extract maximum performance
First of all, this is not apple related problem. If you ever had a thin laptop, they all have issues with cooling, because there is no room for thick strong cooling systems in there. Just no room at all. And apple do not want to release a 3 hours battery life laptop that weight 4kg, so you can pretend to have a "laptop".
I'm sorry to inform you, but physics is something that is objective, regardless of what you think.

Regarding killing chips in the long term, I disagree. I had and seen others with macbooks that last many many years.

And I'm sure what chip to use they are testing and selecting better than what you think to give the most optimal results They do not just take whatever intel gives them, but work out with intel on the right CPU and power available, and compromise where they need to.
Switching to AMD would definitely won't help, considering AMD chips run way hotter.

And regarding the 18 core xeon in the imac pro, it is fine.
So there is no reason to lie about it.
So stick to facts, not exaggerations and "I hate apple so I will talk nonsense and people will believe me".



Last edited by Defoler; 05-04-2019 at 05:57 AM.
Defoler is online now  
post #19 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 07:07 AM
Still kinda lost
 
Awsan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Trance city (Sana'a,Yemen)
Posts: 2,719
Rep: 107 (Unique: 80)
It's just a ****show at the moment , they just want to start a fuss to jump on either inhouse or AMD.

CPU
i7 6700k @4.7 1.44v
Motherboard
Asus Z170 MAXIMUS VIII IMPACT
GPU
GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz
Hard Drive
Seagate Baracuda 7200.12 1tb
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 250 GB
Power Supply
Corsair AX860 860Watts
Cooling
Corsair H100i [With Dual SP120 fans]
Case
Corsair Obsidian 250D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
LG 24mg77 144hz
Keyboard
TVS E-GOLD keyboard Cherry Mx Blue
Mouse
Logitech G302 Daedalus Prime
Audio
ATH-M50xDG
CPU
Intel Core i7 Extreme 2920XM/Intel Core i7 2860QM
Motherboard
P180HMx
GPU
AMD Radeon HD 6990M
GPU
AMD Radeon HD 6990M
RAM
Samsung
RAM
Samsung
RAM
Samsung
Hard Drive
Seagate 750GB 7200RPM
Optical Drive
Blu-Ray reader
Power Supply
300W+8 cells battery
Cooling
Sager Cooling + CM SF-19 USB 3.0
Case
SagerNP8180
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate X64
Monitor
18.4 1920x1080 Glossy 16:9 Plastic covered
Keyboard
Gigabyte wirless
Mouse
Gigabyte wireless
Mouse
Table
Audio
ultrasone pro 550 + FiiO E7++ on board 5.1 sound system
▲ hide details ▲
Awsan is offline  
post #20 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 08:09 AM
sudo apt install sl
 
WannaBeOCer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,355
Rep: 149 (Unique: 107)
Quote: Originally Posted by Awsan View Post
It's just a ****show at the moment , they just want to start a fuss to jump on either inhouse or AMD.
I would also if someone couldn't meet demand and costing me money.

Maximus
(20 items)
CPU
Core i7 6700K 4.8Ghz @ 1.4v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Radeon VII @ 2100Mhz/1200Mhz w/ 1150mV
RAM
G-Skill 32GB 3200Mhz
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector Radeon VII - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Clear Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲
WannaBeOCer is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off