[AnandTech] Intel Details Manufacturing through 2023: 7nm, 7+, 7++, with Next Gen Packaging - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[AnandTech] Intel Details Manufacturing through 2023: 7nm, 7+, 7++, with Next Gen Packaging

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:44 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
pgdeaner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 713
Rep: 36 (Unique: 35)
Heh

Quote: Originally Posted by Kpjoslee View Post
Well, Ice Lake server is sampling to customers now so looks like 10nm is actually happening across the board.
Don't bother trying to talk reality to the Intel hate brigade.

“Who you are is defined by what you’re willing to struggle for.”― Mark Manson
Nuka Cola
(0 items)
▲ hide details ▲
pgdeaner is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 07:15 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
toncij's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,755
Rep: 60 (Unique: 41)
Quote: Originally Posted by Kpjoslee View Post
Well, Ice Lake server is sampling to customers now so looks like 10nm is actually happening across the board.
Without HyperThreading?

Joke aside, where is this info from?

My GPUsWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
3dfx Voodoo, 2x3dfx Voodoo 2, Voodoo 3, Creative Riva TNT 2 Ultra, GeForce 256, ATi Radeon 3D Rage Fury MAXX, GeForce 2 Ultra, ATi Radeon DDR 7500, ATi Radeon 8500, ATi Radeon 9000 Pro, ATi Radeon 9800 XT, ATi Radeon X600 XT, ATi Radeon X850 XT, GeForce 8800GTX, ATi Radeon X1650 XT, GeForce GTX 280, ATi Radeon HD 2900XT, ATi Radeon HD 3870 X2, GeForce GTX 480, ATi Radeon HD 7970 (x2), GeForce GTX 780Ti, GeForce Titan Black (x4), GeForce 970 (x2), GeForce Titan X (x19), AMD RadeonProDuo (x2), GeForce 1080 (x2), Titan X (Pascal) (x2), EVGA FTW 1080 (x2), Quadro P6000 (x2), 1080Ti FE (x2), Titan Xp (x2), TITAN V+ 1080Ti (x2)
toncij is offline  
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 07:53 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
EniGma1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6,155
Rep: 331 (Unique: 242)
Quote: Originally Posted by Kpjoslee View Post
Well, Ice Lake server is sampling to customers now so looks like 10nm is actually happening across the board.
Quote: Originally Posted by pgdeaner View Post
Don't bother trying to talk reality to the Intel hate brigade.
If this stuff was ready and being released why does the latest info direct from Intel say they will not launch any Ice Lake based CPUs till 2020? You can sample an early ES chip all you want, doesnt mean you have processors ready. Intel literally just said with this same announcement in this thread that IceLake Xeon will launch 4 quarters after Cascade Lake Xeon, which was only just soft-launched a few weeks ago. You should read more in depth to what was said than just glancing at a headline.

EniGma1987 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:52 PM
Zen
 
Kpjoslee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Somewhere in US.
Posts: 975
Rep: 50 (Unique: 33)
Quote: Originally Posted by EniGma1987 View Post
If this stuff was ready and being released why does the latest info direct from Intel say they will not launch any Ice Lake based CPUs till 2020? You can sample an early ES chip all you want, doesnt mean you have processors ready. Intel literally just said with this same announcement in this thread that IceLake Xeon will launch 4 quarters after Cascade Lake Xeon, which was only just soft-launched a few weeks ago. You should read more in depth to what was said than just glancing at a headline.
Quote: Originally Posted by toncij View Post
Without HyperThreading?

Joke aside, where is this info from?
If they started shipping samples, then they should be able to ship Ice Lake based Server CPUs in H1 2020. It usually takes that much time from early production samples to actual shipping product.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D4UTSzSUIAAi1g5.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	269770  


My home PC
(15 items)
CPU
AMD Threadripper 1950x
Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus X399 Gaming 7
GPU
EVGA Geforce RTX 2080 Ti XC Ultra
RAM
G.Skill DDR4 3600 CL16
Hard Drive
Samsung Evo 840 500GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro 500GB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova G2 1300W
Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S TR4
Case
Corsair Carbide Air 540
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Dell U2711
Monitor
Samsung 55" 4k
Keyboard
Corsair K70
Mouse
Logitech G502
Audio
Denon AVR-X3300W
▲ hide details ▲
Kpjoslee is offline  
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 09:05 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
pgdeaner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 713
Rep: 36 (Unique: 35)
Quote: Originally Posted by EniGma1987 View Post
If this stuff was ready and being released why does the latest info direct from Intel say they will not launch any Ice Lake based CPUs till 2020? You can sample an early ES chip all you want, doesnt mean you have processors ready. Intel literally just said with this same announcement in this thread that IceLake Xeon will launch 4 quarters after Cascade Lake Xeon, which was only just soft-launched a few weeks ago. You should read more in depth to what was said than just glancing at a headline.
So Lisa Su shows an engineering sample and every AMD fan ****s their pants in joy and declares Lisa Su as the next Jesus Christ.

Intel samples an ES and everyone is like "It doesn't mean anything. Intel lies all the time. They will never ship anything. Their 10nm is completely broken."

This forum is better than comedy central.

“Who you are is defined by what you’re willing to struggle for.”― Mark Manson
Nuka Cola
(0 items)
▲ hide details ▲
pgdeaner is offline  
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 10:49 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
EniGma1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6,155
Rep: 331 (Unique: 242)
Quote: Originally Posted by pgdeaner View Post
So Lisa Su shows an engineering sample and every AMD fan ****s their pants in joy and declares Lisa Su as the next Jesus Christ.

Intel samples an ES and everyone is like "It doesn't mean anything. Intel lies all the time. They will never ship anything. Their 10nm is completely broken."

This forum is better than comedy central.

No one but you with your hyperbole said they wont ship anything, only that these are not shipping now like people seem excited about and will not be around for quite a long time. Even when they do get released an entire year away *if* they finally get 10nm on track, they still have actual desktop chips even farther off in the roadmap. Not really sure why you would be excited about that and think things are ok.

EniGma1987 is offline  
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 12:52 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
pgdeaner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 713
Rep: 36 (Unique: 35)
Quote: Originally Posted by EniGma1987 View Post
No one but you with your hyperbole said they wont ship anything, only that these are not shipping now like people seem excited about and will not be around for quite a long time. Even when they do get released an entire year away *if* they finally get 10nm on track, they still have actual desktop chips even farther off in the roadmap. Not really sure why you would be excited about that and think things are ok.
I didn't mean to put words into your mouth. Check the other Intel bashing threads on the forum. Some of the quotes are hilarious. Like the second gen AMD chip is going cause Intel a sixteen billion dollar company to throw up it's hands and exit the PC and Server market for good.

Intel has some work to do there is no doubt, but you don't see AMD throwing a billion dollars at expandng fabrication capacity to meet demand. Probably because that's about 26 times what AMD earned last quarter. I think Intel will be OK for a while.

Yes, I'm still hopeful that they will return with a competitive product in the near future and I am glad to see them shipping 10nm in June. In a couple of years when I'm interested in upgrading again, it will be good to be able to compare Intel to AMD and see who has the superior product.

“Who you are is defined by what you’re willing to struggle for.”― Mark Manson
Nuka Cola
(0 items)
▲ hide details ▲
pgdeaner is offline  
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:28 PM
OG AMD
 
Redwoodz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 8,125
Rep: 579 (Unique: 457)
Quote: Originally Posted by pgdeaner View Post
I didn't mean to put words into your mouth. Check the other Intel bashing threads on the forum. Some of the quotes are hilarious. Like the second gen AMD chip is going cause Intel a sixteen billion dollar company to throw up it's hands and exit the PC and Server market for good.

Intel has some work to do there is no doubt, but you don't see AMD throwing a billion dollars at expandng fabrication capacity to meet demand. Probably because that's about 26 times what AMD earned last quarter. I think Intel will be OK for a while.

Yes, I'm still hopeful that they will return with a competitive product in the near future and I am glad to see them shipping 10nm in June. In a couple of years when I'm interested in upgrading again, it will be good to be able to compare Intel to AMD and see who has the superior product.
LOL.

AMD was smart enough to ditch their fab and partner with IBM/Samsung/GF and TSMC. Now guess who has the worst fabs? Guess what? Samsung is starting 3nm right now, and going beyond EUV. Of course Intel will be here but we are in a new day bud. Intel has never ever been behind fab processes until now. And consumer 10nm will not be here until christmas per their slide.

Add in they have a real problem with HT...they have a lot of work to do.

https://valid.x86.fr/cache/banner/4d8m5e-6.png
AMD Athlon II 450 @4.74GHz http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2204588
AMD MaxxMemm Rankings
960T @ 4.6GHz http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2171450
RedwoodCustomPC
AM4
(4 items)
RCPC#1
(17 items)
Professional
(13 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2200G
Motherboard
ASRock X470 Taichi
GPU
MSI RX570 Armor MKII 8GB
Power Supply
GSKill Ripjaws PS850G
CPU
AMD Phenom II X6 960T
Motherboard
Asus M4A88T-VEVO
GPU
Asus Strix R7 370
RAM
SuperTalent Perfomance
RAM
GSkill Snipers
Hard Drive
Monster Daytona
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7,200 RPM 16Mb cache
Optical Drive
Memorex DVD/RW
Power Supply
Corsair GS500
Cooling
Corsair H60
Case
In Win H-Frame
Operating System
Windows 8N
Monitor
IBM 9494 19" LCD
Keyboard
IBM
Mouse
OCZ Behemoth
Mouse
Wolfking
Audio
JBL Creature
CPU
Phenom II X6 1100t
Motherboard
MSI 890FX GD65
GPU
MSI Radeon HD5670
RAM
GSkill RipjawsX DDR3 PC3 12800 2x4GB CL8
Hard Drive
WD Black 1TB SATA III
Optical Drive
Samsung BD
Power Supply
Kingwin Lazer Platinum 500w
Cooling
Zalman 9900MAX
Case
Fractal Design R3
Operating System
Windows 7 64 Professional
Monitor
AOC 22" LED
Keyboard
Logitech
Other
Samsung 470 SSD 128GB
▲ hide details ▲


Redwoodz is offline  
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 10:23 AM
Z-80 > i9
 
Brutuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ballarat, Australia
Posts: 17,239
Rep: 568 (Unique: 398)
Quote: Originally Posted by pgdeaner View Post
So Lisa Su shows an engineering sample and every AMD fan ****s their pants in joy and declares Lisa Su as the next Jesus Christ.

Intel samples an ES and everyone is like "It doesn't mean anything. Intel lies all the time. They will never ship anything. Their 10nm is completely broken."

This forum is better than comedy central.
Because Lisa showed us a chip, then ran a benchmark on another chip that performed decently so that we know it's at least competitive and working already. Meanwhile, Intel has just said they're sampling with zero real evidence and has a proven history of lying about this kind of thing for many, many, many years, or just being shady in general. (eg. When AMD beat them to the 1Ghz mark, they quickly announced a 1Ghz Pentium III that didn't see proper volume production to the point where you could easily get one until a year after it came out, or y'know, the first 10nm chips they launched. This could easily work with Ice Lake too: Very low scale production but with an actual release so that they can point to that and say "See? We're selling 10nm!" despite it not really being that comparable to what AMD is doing on 7nm.)

Very different scenarios, you might notice. Besides, Intel has kinda made their own bed in regards to PR with how they constantly push things a little more in their favour whenever they get the chance regardless of whether it negatively effects the PC market as a whole.

Quote: Originally Posted by Redwoodz View Post
Intel has never ever been behind fab processes until now.
Actually, Intel was behind at one point but it was a blip on the timeline due to the much smaller scale of their issues back then. (They had problems with getting enough chips made for sale while trying to move from 0.18micron to 0.13micron, ending up with AMD getting chips on 0.13micron out first.)

Given what happened back then, or when 10nm first had issues...I'm expecting the new 10nm chips to be a bit of a paper launch (ie. Very few actual products being sold) with proper production coming about later on. It took them around a year with the 1Ghz Pentium III when they last had foundry problems, and they would not want to put that on a public slide and basically say "We're not really going to be able to fully compete for x amount of time", hence this news piece.

CPU
Intel Core i5 3770k @ 4.6Ghz
Motherboard
ASRock Z77 Pro3
GPU
AMD Radeon R9 Nano (1050/550)
RAM
4x4GB G.Skill Ares 2200Mhz CL11
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 250GB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Black 1TB WD1002FAEX
Hard Drive
Samsung Spinpoint EcoGreen 2TB
Hard Drive
Toshiba P300 2TB
Optical Drive
Pioneer DVR-220LBKS
Power Supply
eVGA Supernova P2 650w
Cooling
Noctua NH-D14
Case
Lian Li Lancool PC-K60
Operating System
Arch Linux x86-64
Operating System
Windows 10 Bloatfree Edition
Monitor
LG 29WK500-P (2560x1080, 75Hz, Freesync)
Monitor
BenQ G2020HD
Keyboard
Ducky Shine III Year of the Snake, Cherry Blue
Mouse
SteelSeries Sensei Professional
Mouse
Artisan Hien Mid Japan Black Large
Audio
ASUS Xonar DX
Audio
Samson Rubicon R6a
Other
NZXT Sentry Mesh 30w Fan Controller
▲ hide details ▲


Brutuz is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off