[HDTVTest] Samsung To Begin QD-OLED "Trial Production" Later This Year - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[HDTVTest] Samsung To Begin QD-OLED "Trial Production" Later This Year

post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:49 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by geoxile View Post
Get a bigger room, buy a TV, and sit a few feet further back.
believe it or not, there are a ton of people that prefer gaming at their desk, and don't want anything over 30" max.

in addition to that, I don't want a "busy" rgb looking gaming monitor. My office is clean, professional, and i want my monitor to reflect that.

essentially, I need a 4k oled 120hz+ 27" ultrasharp from Dell lol.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:56 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 93 (Unique: 86)
What if I want to/can do none of those things? I like having a small-ish room in a small house, I like sitting how far away I do now, and a 27" main monitor fits with my side monitors. I'm not going to buy a new house just so I can downgrade my setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonz™ go_quote.gif
Water cooling is never necessary.

Do it!

post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:05 AM
mfw

Rep: 362 (Unique: 191)
Quote: Originally Posted by ryder View Post
believe it or not, there are a ton of people that prefer gaming at their desk, and don't want anything over 30" max.

in addition to that, I don't want a "busy" rgb looking gaming monitor. My office is clean, professional, and i want my monitor to reflect that.

Quote: Originally Posted by Millillion View Post
What if I want to/can do none of those things? I like having a small-ish room in a small house, I like sitting how far away I do now, and a 27" main monitor fits with my side monitors. I'm not going to buy a new house just so I can downgrade my setup.
The dude simply gave you the only alternative. He was not belittling your display size preferences.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Corepadded Logitech G703
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (B pads)
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 10:06 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 161 (Unique: 120)
filthy casual

post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 10:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 330 (Unique: 241)
Quote: Originally Posted by ryan92084 View Post
That'll depend on how big you want your tv to be.
They have prototypes available in sizes good for smartwatches, smartphones, and all the way up to giant TVs. Size doesnt matter on whether it is doable or not.
pixel density is also a non-issue like many people seem to think. a decade ago they were already in the thousands of PPI range, and a new Canadian company also just demonstrated a 30,000 PPI micro-LED display a few weeks ago (new record). People think they can only be large because of the 4k resolution Samsung used on their "the wall" display. However mLED does not use 1 pixel on the hardware per pixel of displayed resolution. In the same manner as 1080p being displayed on a 4k monitor uses 4 hardware pixels per 1 pixel of resolution, mLED uses dozens to even thousands of hardware pixels to 1 pixel of displayed content. So pixel density and hardware resolution is extremely high, even if we still only send the display a 4k frame that our video cable supports.

Last edited by EniGma1987; 05-13-2019 at 10:47 AM.
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 10:47 AM
Null

Rep: 159 (Unique: 129)

You can keep your desk, you just need a separate stand or mount for a TV. You can calculate how much an object fills your cone of vision at a certain distance, and at some point a 55" will look very close to a 27" monitor, around 2x the distance I believe.

LG's new c9 oleds support 4k and support 120hz 4k over hdmi 2.1, although no GPU supports hdmi 2.1 yet. It's basically what you're looking for, if you sit 2 to 3 ft further back

post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 10:57 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 300 (Unique: 219)
Quote: Originally Posted by ryan92084 View Post
I'm not super familiar with how the current non emmisive QD tech works but my understanding it that it'll let them dump their weaker OLED colors for the QD "filter" instead of having to constantly tinker with subpixel sizing to try and even out levels and aging. Also being able to dump the white pixel LG uses to boost brightness wouldn't hurt either.

Edit: Ah they need to OLED to be blue, that is unfortunate.

Of course Samsung's OLED TV tech has on back burner for years so they'll have some catching up to do.

That'll depend on how big you want your tv to be.
Blue LED was hard to make back in the day, beginning of LEDs. But then it was made differently and it's the easiest light to make. All (white) LEDs as far as I know are "blue" with a "filter"/phosphor that converts part of blue to yellow = yellow+blue = white.
QDs again are sensitive to short wavelengths = UV/blue.

Samsung is endlessly playing with naming of it's various QD endeavors, often trying to appear as OLED even when it's not. QLED, QD-LED, ...

QDs are neat but they also produce very narrow light. They don't exactly look realistic without proper setting up and calibration. Same as not all white is equal, CRI, quality matters.
QDs can improve displays, for sure but so far they've been cooking them in the basement and barely putting them into any products at all, let alone emissive displays or front parts of displays at least.
QD enhanced backlights is all we've seen so far.
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 11:08 AM
Null

Rep: 159 (Unique: 129)
Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post

The dude simply gave you the only alternative. He was not belittling your display size preferences.
Oh no, I'm a TV supremacist. Death to displaylets! REEEE

post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 02:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 58 (Unique: 53)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
Samsung is endlessly playing with naming of it's various QD endeavors, often trying to appear as OLED even when it's not. QLED, QD-LED, ...
To be clear though, this latest endeavor actually is OLED (plus quantum dots).
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 04:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
No.

Silence in the Snow
(13 items)
CPU
Ryzen 1600X
Motherboard
ASRock X370 Taichi
GPU
RTX 2080Ti Black Edition
RAM
G.Skill RipJaws V 16 GB @3466
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 EVO 500GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 3TB
Hard Drive
Seagate FireCuda 2TB
Power Supply
Seasonic SnowSilent
Cooling
EK Coolstream PE 360
Cooling
EK Supremacy EVO
Case
Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
Predator XB271HU
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in