[HDTVTest] Samsung To Begin QD-OLED "Trial Production" Later This Year - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[HDTVTest] Samsung To Begin QD-OLED "Trial Production" Later This Year

post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 04:48 AM
News Fiend

Quote: Originally Posted by EniGma1987 View Post
They have prototypes available in sizes good for smartwatches, smartphones, and all the way up to giant TVs. Size doesnt matter on whether it is doable or not.
pixel density is also a non-issue like many people seem to think. a decade ago they were already in the thousands of PPI range, and a new Canadian company also just demonstrated a 30,000 PPI micro-LED display a few weeks ago (new record). People think they can only be large because of the 4k resolution Samsung used on their "the wall" display. However mLED does not use 1 pixel on the hardware per pixel of displayed resolution. In the same manner as 1080p being displayed on a 4k monitor uses 4 hardware pixels per 1 pixel of resolution, mLED uses dozens to even thousands of hardware pixels to 1 pixel of displayed content. So pixel density and hardware resolution is extremely high, even if we still only send the display a 4k frame that our video cable supports.
Right, currently we have very small prototypes and very large in production. The question is will the small tech scale up or the big scale down to the standard 55-80" by 2023? Samsung obviously doesn't think so.

Meh '12
(13 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
XFX Fury X
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 F4-3200C14D-16GTZSW
Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 970 PRO M.2 2280 512GB PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro-Series
Hard Drive
Seagate 4TB Enterprise NAS SATA (ST4000VN0001)
Hard Drive
WD Black 1TB Performance Desktop Hard Drive WD1003FZEX
Power Supply
SEASONIC PLATINUM-860 860W RT
Cooling
Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS Radiator x2
Cooling
Monsoon MMRS Reservoir + D5 pump + mountings
Cooling
XSPC Raystorm Neo Metal
Cooling
EKWB Fury X
Cooling
Monsoon Free Center 1/2ID 3/4OD fittings + Rotaries + plug + Temp probe
Cooling
BeQuiet SilentWings 3 High Speed PWM x 9
Case
Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG 27" IPS 27UK650
Keyboard
Massdrop CTRL
Mouse
Logitech g403
Mousepad
HAYATE KOU FX SOFT NINJA Black L
Audio
Blue Yeti Black
Audio
Massdrop x AKG K7XX
Other
LIAN LI O11D-1X ,Riser Cable and cover bracket for PC-O11D
CPU
i5 3570k
Motherboard
Z77x-UD5H
GPU
Zotac 670 GTX AMP!
RAM
G.Skill f3-2400c10D-16gtx
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 128GB
Optical Drive
Some old thing
Power Supply
Seasonic platinum 860w
Cooling
Custom water
Case
Customized Thermaltake Armor
Operating System
Win 10 pro
Monitor
Dell U2413
Keyboard
Ducky Shine
Mouse
Logi G502
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 07:33 AM
Frog Blast The Vent Core

Rep: 370 (Unique: 183)
Wow, what a load.

I looked into Samsung's quantum dot tech a while back, and while I was really intrigued by it at first as you can make quantum dot emissive displays, that's not what this is. It's a quantum dot absorptive filter in their products, and that's another thing entirely. Yes, it's better than an LCD panel, since you don't start with throwing half of the light away at the first polarizer, but you still are running the problem of an absorptive filter with a backlight. Emissive displays will always beat them for black levels and therefore contrast, and that applies to color contrast as well.

Sure, you can put OLEDs behind a quantum dot absorptive filter, but that's just taking one technology and then adding another that plays to its weaknesses instead of its strengths. The problem with OLED is brightness, they simply can't put out the same light levels and with the brightness they can achieve longevity becomes an issue. Putting an absorptive filter in front of it just makes everything bad about OLED worse. The alternative approach that they seem to be using, which is to use an OLED emitter that is downconverted by the quantum dots, will again lose brightness due to inefficiency in the energy transfers. So, same problem: taking an OLED with brightness issues and making it less bright using quantum dots to change the color of the backlight.

And no, they can't make an emissive quantum dot display. I ran the math a while back while I was trying to sift through Samsung's QLED marketspeak, and it would take around fifty standard semiconductor wafers to make a 75" TV out of emissive quantum dots. Completely hopeless.

Last edited by Mand12; 05-14-2019 at 07:40 AM.
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:35 AM
mfw

Rep: 362 (Unique: 191)
Quote: Originally Posted by Mand12 View Post
And no, they can't make an emissive quantum dot display. I ran the math a while back while I was trying to sift through Samsung's QLED marketspeak, and it would take around fifty standard semiconductor wafers to make a 75" TV out of emissive quantum dots. Completely hopeless.
You heard it here first, folks! It can't be done. Someone tell Samsung to halt all production.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Corepadded Logitech G703
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (B pads)
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:47 AM
News Fiend

Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
You heard it here first, folks! It can't be done. Someone tell Samsung to halt all production.
They would have to start first

Meh '12
(13 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
XFX Fury X
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 F4-3200C14D-16GTZSW
Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 970 PRO M.2 2280 512GB PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro-Series
Hard Drive
Seagate 4TB Enterprise NAS SATA (ST4000VN0001)
Hard Drive
WD Black 1TB Performance Desktop Hard Drive WD1003FZEX
Power Supply
SEASONIC PLATINUM-860 860W RT
Cooling
Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS Radiator x2
Cooling
Monsoon MMRS Reservoir + D5 pump + mountings
Cooling
XSPC Raystorm Neo Metal
Cooling
EKWB Fury X
Cooling
Monsoon Free Center 1/2ID 3/4OD fittings + Rotaries + plug + Temp probe
Cooling
BeQuiet SilentWings 3 High Speed PWM x 9
Case
Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG 27" IPS 27UK650
Keyboard
Massdrop CTRL
Mouse
Logitech g403
Mousepad
HAYATE KOU FX SOFT NINJA Black L
Audio
Blue Yeti Black
Audio
Massdrop x AKG K7XX
Other
LIAN LI O11D-1X ,Riser Cable and cover bracket for PC-O11D
CPU
i5 3570k
Motherboard
Z77x-UD5H
GPU
Zotac 670 GTX AMP!
RAM
G.Skill f3-2400c10D-16gtx
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 128GB
Optical Drive
Some old thing
Power Supply
Seasonic platinum 860w
Cooling
Custom water
Case
Customized Thermaltake Armor
Operating System
Win 10 pro
Monitor
Dell U2413
Keyboard
Ducky Shine
Mouse
Logi G502
▲ hide details ▲

post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:39 AM
Frog Blast The Vent Core

My point was that it would never be commercially viable, which you well know.
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:01 AM
mfw

Rep: 362 (Unique: 191)
My point was that it would never be commercially viable, which you well know.
Actually, I don't well know. Looking for a commercially viable semblance of an OLED competitor, that also excels where it faults, in the marketing material for QLED was never going to be very fruitful because they never meant QLED to be anything other than a different, though better, type of backlight.

We have no idea what kind of configuration they deemed potentially viable to fulfill the role they intend to surpass OLED's PQ, other than the fact that they're probably going to use a mix of organic and non-organic LED's.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Corepadded Logitech G703
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (B pads)
▲ hide details ▲
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:05 AM
Frog Blast The Vent Core

Actually, I don't well know. Looking for a commercially viable semblance of an OLED competitor, that also excels where it faults, in the marketing material for QLED was never going to be very fruitful because they never meant QLED to be anything other than a different, though better, type of backlight.

We have no idea what kind of configuration they deemed potentially viable to fulfill the role they intend to surpass OLED's PQ, other than the fact that they're probably going to use a mix of organic and non-organic LED's.
So if you know so little, why the snide remark at someone who does know more and thought it helpful to share? I mean, I could go into more detail about how quantum dots work and what they're capable of doing, but I'm not inclined to throw any more bones if this is the response I get.
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:26 AM

Rep: 126 (Unique: 79)
microLED or bust.

Main
(17 items)
Nintendo DS
(8 items)
CPU
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3
GPU
MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
RAM
G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3000
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
Hard Drive
WD Blue 3TB
Power Supply
EVGA 650 G2
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Cooling
Nanoxia Deep Silence 140mm
Cooling
Nanoxia Deep Silence 120mm
Case
Corsair 400Q
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS 1440p
Keyboard
Leopold FC750 (MX Brown)
Mouse
Logitech Performance Mouse MX
Audio
Mayflower Objective2 + ODAC Rev. B Combo
Audio
Audio-Technica ATH-A990Z
CPU
ARM946E-S 67.028 MHz
CPU
ARM7TDMI 33.514 MHz
RAM
4 MB
Hard Drive
256 kB
Power Supply
850 mAh
Operating System
DS OS
Monitor
3" 256×192 18-bit
Monitor
3" 256×192 18-bit
▲ hide details ▲
post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:52 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 58 (Unique: 53)
Wow, what a load.

I looked into Samsung's quantum dot tech a while back, and while I was really intrigued by it at first as you can make quantum dot emissive displays, that's not what this is.
QD-OLED is emissive though. It sounds like you may be a little confused about what's what. Quantum dots can be used several different ways in a display. Check out this graphic:

Samsung's "QLED" TVs they've been selling for a few years (and the "SUHD" TVs before that) are the first type: traditional LCDs with a quantum dot film-enhanced backlight. This gets you a somewhat better color gamut, but doesn't do anything to fix LCD's shortcomings (contrast, viewing angles etc.)

QD-OLED, in contrast, is a variant of the photo-emissive type (2nd from bottom). This type uses quantum dots as color converters (QDCCs) on top of another display type - LCD, OLED, or even MicroLED could be used.

In this case, with QD-OLED Samsung is using OLED to produce only blue light, which is converted using QDCCs into red and green (the blue subpixels are lit by the OLED directly. An advantage of this approach is that you don't need to pattern the OLED emitters to make RGB, reducing manufacturing complexity and cost. This is similar to LG's patented WOLED approach, except that uses white OLEDs plus traditional color filters, whereas QD-OLED uses blue OLEDs plus QDCCs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nanosys quantum dot displays.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	321.6 KB
ID:	269546  

post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 11:46 AM
Frog Blast The Vent Core

Yes, I talked about that aspect of it, and mentioned the efficiency hit from downconversion. Also, since they're still polarization devices, you get another 50% brightness hit. Which, when you're starting with a blue OLED, the type that has the fastest decay rate, is a major problem.

Manufacturing RGB OLED subpixels is no harder and likely easier than manufacturing quantum dot conversion subpixels, so you don't actually reduce overall complexity. The color patterning still has to happen, it just happens at a different stage.

The most efficient way to do color displays is to pattern the emitters. That's what RGB subpixel OLED does. That's not what QD-OLED is going to do. Yes, it will still achieve good black levels because you get subpixel intensity patterning, but the brightness will be abysmal. And because of the abysmal brightness, you'll have to crank up the OLED to levels where longevity will suffer. Burn-in would be the logical result, spots of your TV where the absolute intensity has to be higher are going to decay faster than the rest. It's taking an existing issue with OLED and making it worse.

It's that last line on the chart that's a legitimate competitor to OLED. Electroluminescent displays might get there, as but they don't have the brightness yet as far as I know. Maybe in that 2021-2023 timeframe they will have improved to the point of being an alternate emitter type.

As far as the holy grail, that's a fully inorganic display. Inorganic RGB-patterned emitters will be the best display technology we can get, and people have done it. Micro-LED devices are already being used by helmet-mounted displays, for example. The problem is that manufacturing costs are enormous, even for a few square inches, so only the military can afford it. And it's completely out of the question for TV sizes as a commercial product.

Last edited by Mand12; 05-14-2019 at 11:53 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in