[The Verge] Intel, Qualcomm, and other chipmakers reportedly join Google in Huawei ban - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[The Verge] Intel, Qualcomm, and other chipmakers reportedly join Google in Huawei ban

post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 04:08 AM
News Fiend

Quote: Originally Posted by Liranan View Post
Samsung do exist, as do Oppo, Xiaomi, Nokia, ZTE, Blackberry, Asus, LG, Sony, LG and heaps of others. What do they have to do with Huawei being the biggest telecoms company in the world?

I hope that Huawei can make their OS competitive with Android as I want to see Google's monopoly broken.
It'll depend on which metric you are measuring of course but Samsung is generally considered to be the largest smartphone manufacturer which I believe is the most relevant to the OS conversation. In fact Samsung has occupied the #1 slot for a number of years now. Hauwai has occupied #2 since 2Q18 up from #3 due to a mix of massive growth and Apple sales plummeting for 2/3Q18.

Edit: I missed that Apple regained #2 slot in 4Q18 and barely held it for year end totals. They get a big xmas boost it seems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IDC Quarterly Mobile Phone Tracker.png
Views:	14
Size:	208.3 KB
ID:	270696  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Huawei-Xiaomi-IDC-2018-report.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	270698  

Meh '12
(13 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
XFX Fury X
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 F4-3200C14D-16GTZSW
Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 970 PRO M.2 2280 512GB PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro-Series
Hard Drive
Seagate 4TB Enterprise NAS SATA (ST4000VN0001)
Hard Drive
WD Black 1TB Performance Desktop Hard Drive WD1003FZEX
Power Supply
SEASONIC PLATINUM-860 860W RT
Cooling
Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS Radiator x2
Cooling
Monsoon MMRS Reservoir + D5 pump + mountings
Cooling
XSPC Raystorm Neo Metal
Cooling
EKWB Fury X
Cooling
Monsoon Free Center 1/2ID 3/4OD fittings + Rotaries + plug + Temp probe
Cooling
BeQuiet SilentWings 3 High Speed PWM x 9
Case
Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG 27" IPS 27UK650
Keyboard
Massdrop CTRL
Mouse
Logitech g403
Mousepad
HAYATE KOU FX SOFT NINJA Black L
Audio
Blue Yeti Black
Audio
Massdrop x AKG K7XX
Other
LIAN LI O11D-1X ,Riser Cable and cover bracket for PC-O11D
CPU
i5 3570k
Motherboard
Z77x-UD5H
GPU
Zotac 670 GTX AMP!
RAM
G.Skill f3-2400c10D-16gtx
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 128GB
Optical Drive
Some old thing
Power Supply
Seasonic platinum 860w
Cooling
Custom water
Case
Customized Thermaltake Armor
Operating System
Win 10 pro
Monitor
Dell U2413
Keyboard
Ducky Shine
Mouse
Logi G502
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by ryan92084; 05-21-2019 at 04:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 04:46 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Can't imagine Huawei's going to weather this very well

Silence in the Snow
(13 items)
CPU
Ryzen 1600X
Motherboard
ASRock X370 Taichi
GPU
RTX 2080Ti Black Edition
RAM
G.Skill RipJaws V 16 GB @3466
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 EVO 500GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 3TB
Hard Drive
Seagate FireCuda 2TB
Power Supply
Seasonic SnowSilent
Cooling
EK Coolstream PE 360
Cooling
EK Supremacy EVO
Case
Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
Predator XB271HU
▲ hide details ▲
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 09:56 AM
Old to Overclock.net

Rep: 109 (Unique: 96)
I don't think people here understand how Android works or how the Google ban affects Huawei. They can still use AOSP, anybody can. I can make phones in my basement and use AOSP if I want which is almost a carbon copy of the stock Android Google phones ship with. There is nothing stopping Huawei form using Android past, present or future, ban or not, Android is an open source project.

There is no need to reinvent the wheel with your own OS, just as Google and AOSP used the Linux kernel as there was no need to reinvent the wheel and create their own kernel.

What people don't seem to get is that "Android" isn't really what makes a lot of peoples phones tick, it's the Google Services Framework/Google Play Services, Google Cloud Messaging, various Google background services, etc.

If you ever run true pure Android from something like an AOSP based rom, you will realize that when running just stock pure 100% Android your phone is pretty gimped. I mean I use a phone running pure Android without any Google services but I'm the exception.

Pure Android without Google Services Framework in the background means almost nothing works, all the apps and services people use their phone for don't work. Uber, food delivery services, instant messaging apps, map apps, whether apps, ALL those things rely on being able to hit Google API's. If your phone isn't "certified" and Google doesn't allow the OEM to ship with all the background Google services you cannot hit those API's and your phone is severely gimped. In the custom rom community we would say your phone is now "debloated" and a lot faster and now spyware free but for most people it would be a gimped phone that now does nothing that they are used to being able to do.

They either need to find a workaround to be able to continue to hit Google API's (e.g. microG) OR design their own background Google services as they already have in China as Chinese phones in China do not ship with all the background Google services installed. Nobody in North America though will want to use the Chinese equivalent to Google services.

Unless they want to open their own suite of tools to compete with ALL of Googles services here in North America, they are basically dead in the water. Making their own OS does not solve that.

(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard
Asus Prime X370-A AMD Ryzen AM4 DDR4
GPU
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950
RAM
2x Corsair Valueselect 8GB 288 Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 @ 2133
Hard Drive
Corsair Force LS 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC SSD
Optical Drive
Lite-On 24X SATA DVD/RW Optical Drive
Power Supply
Corsair RM550x 550W 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Noctua NH-L9A-AM4 Low-Profile
Case
Antec NSK4100 Steel ATX Mid Tower
Operating System
Mint 18.2 x64
Monitor
HP 24" LCD/LED 1920x1080
Keyboard
IBM PC-AT
Mouse
Logitech G5
Audio
Sennheiser HD650
Audio
Asus Essence STX II
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by xJumper; 05-21-2019 at 10:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 10:15 AM
You broke it!

Rep: 1091 (Unique: 561)
Another example of people in positions of power flexing their personal will to assure they don't see any real competition. There has been zero credible evidence, that I am aware of as of writing, to suggest Huawei has done anything to warrant these actions. Not to mention it would be a "Pot meet Kettle" situation given the issues with Lenovo, Asus, and Microsoft outright joining Prism and other blacklist operations.

This is nothing more than a scenario where Huawei was going to come in with products that were as good, or better, than what we usually get here and at a fraction of the price. As a person sitting here with an iPhone X (upgraded from 5s) I can say that if we had true competition in this county this phone wouldn't have cost $1200.

This is an oligopoly protecting itself and using Red Baiting to do it.

"Run! The Commies are coming!"

Sad.
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 12:20 PM
Old to Overclock.net

Rep: 109 (Unique: 96)
Quote: Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post
Another example of people in positions of power flexing their personal will to assure they don't see any real competition. There has been zero credible evidence, that I am aware of as of writing, to suggest Huawei has done anything to warrant these actions. Not to mention it would be a "Pot meet Kettle" situation given the issues with Lenovo, Asus, and Microsoft outright joining Prism and other blacklist operations.

This is nothing more than a scenario where Huawei was going to come in with products that were as good, or better, than what we usually get here and at a fraction of the price. As a person sitting here with an iPhone X (upgraded from 5s) I can say that if we had true competition in this county this phone wouldn't have cost $1200.

Sad.
I was thinking the same thing as well. I would sure as crap bet that Huewei has hardware backdoors and I don't support it but so does Qualcom, Lenovo, Asus, Microsoft, Google, Intel, IBM, etc. They aren't exactly squeaky clean actors on that front either so why all the hate all of a sudden?

Maybe the Chinese backdoored phones while vulnerable to Chinese espionage AREN'T vulnerable to U.S. espionage/backdooors? The other thing I was thinking is like you said, Huawei was coming in with flagship killers, flagship phones for half the price and Apple/Google/Samsung and all the other big players didn't like it.

(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard
Asus Prime X370-A AMD Ryzen AM4 DDR4
GPU
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950
RAM
2x Corsair Valueselect 8GB 288 Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 @ 2133
Hard Drive
Corsair Force LS 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC SSD
Optical Drive
Lite-On 24X SATA DVD/RW Optical Drive
Power Supply
Corsair RM550x 550W 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Noctua NH-L9A-AM4 Low-Profile
Case
Antec NSK4100 Steel ATX Mid Tower
Operating System
Mint 18.2 x64
Monitor
HP 24" LCD/LED 1920x1080
Keyboard
IBM PC-AT
Mouse
Logitech G5
Audio
Sennheiser HD650
Audio
Asus Essence STX II
▲ hide details ▲

post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 08:22 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Quote: Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

Sad.
Many European countries have raised similar concerns as well, which a cursory search would show you.

Silence in the Snow
(13 items)
CPU
Ryzen 1600X
Motherboard
ASRock X370 Taichi
GPU
RTX 2080Ti Black Edition
RAM
G.Skill RipJaws V 16 GB @3466
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 EVO 500GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 3TB
Hard Drive
Seagate FireCuda 2TB
Power Supply
Seasonic SnowSilent
Cooling
EK Coolstream PE 360
Cooling
EK Supremacy EVO
Case
Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
Predator XB271HU
▲ hide details ▲
post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 10:44 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 606 (Unique: 291)
Quote: Originally Posted by m4fox90 View Post
Many European countries have raised similar concerns as well, which a cursory search would show you.
No European country has banned Huawei from their market. The only country to have done so is the US and this won't end well as Huawei already have their own Kirin custom chips and aren't dependent on Google.

When you sanction the entire world you in effect sanction yourself. Thus Trump, thinkng he's some great businessman, has gone to war with the US itself.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by faraz1729 go_quote.gif
Haha, Liranan, you creep.

Tacitus - The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money. - Cree Indian Proverb
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 11:10 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 305 (Unique: 222)
Quote: Originally Posted by Liranan View Post
No European country has banned Huawei from their market. The only country to have done so is the US and this won't end well as Huawei already have their own Kirin custom chips and aren't dependent on Google.

When you sanction the entire world you in effect sanction yourself. Thus Trump, thinkng he's some great businessman, has gone to war with the US itself.
Pretty much.

US vs China eco war. Now don't get me wrong I'm no fan of everything moving away to cheaper and cheaper labor countries to a point where it's cheaper to import from other side of globe... But this eco war is ridiculous. There are better ways to promote companies and jobs in a country other than banning/taxing/etc. imports from certain other countries.

It has backfired before, it is doing it again and it continues. Politicians and voters never learn.
post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 12:49 AM
mfw

Rep: 367 (Unique: 193)
Considering the ban has been halted and Huawei already announced they're ramping up the investment in competing products, this will probably only work to strengthen the chinese brand.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (B pads)
▲ hide details ▲
post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 01:01 AM
Zen

Rep: 50 (Unique: 33)
Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
Considering the ban has been halted and Huawei already announced they're ramping up the investment in competing products, this will probably only work to strengthen the chinese brand.
90-day period is probably designed to help soften the blow to US suppliers if the ban actually happens in August. Huawei being forced to use their own OS is far more likely to make them irrelevant outside of China rather than actually competing against Android platform. Though I expect some kind of resolution to US v China trade war will occur before the actual ban happens.

My home PC
(15 items)
CPU
AMD Threadripper 1950x
Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus X399 Gaming 7
GPU
EVGA Geforce RTX 2080 Ti XC Ultra
RAM
G.Skill DDR4 3600 CL16
Hard Drive
Samsung Evo 840 500GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro 500GB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova G2 1300W
Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S TR4
Case
Corsair Carbide Air 540
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Dell U2711
Monitor
Samsung 55" 4k
Keyboard
Corsair K70
Mouse
Logitech G502
Audio
Denon AVR-X3300W
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in