[The Verge] Intel, Qualcomm, and other chipmakers reportedly join Google in Huawei ban - Page 5 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[The Verge] Intel, Qualcomm, and other chipmakers reportedly join Google in Huawei ban

post #41 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 08:08 AM
Waiting for 7nm EUV

Rep: 879 (Unique: 498)
Quote: Originally Posted by bigjdubb View Post
I am totally ignorant about this situation (really don't care) but I think, as a US citizen, I would rather have a device with a backdoor for the Chinese government than the ones with backdoors for the US government.

You should care, this subject is way bigger than the here and now. Iterate on that thought of yours some more and see how that goes for your grandchildren.

How about no backdoors from either side?

Is your CPU bottlenecking your GPU ? Find out: CPU and GPU usage along with FPS in-game
Read my reviews here.
Clubs (founder): The rare / unusual CPU club
Clubs (member): Corsair Professional HX / AX Series PSU Owners Club || The Official Cooler Master HAF X/932/922/912(+) Club
CPU
Core i7-3820
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth X79
GPU
MSI GTX 1060 6 GB Gaming X
RAM
16 GB Corsair DDR3 1866 Mhz Dominator
Hard Drive
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + WD Caviar Black 2TB
Optical Drive
Sony Optiarc DVD-RW
Power Supply
Corsair AX750 Professional Modular 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Corsair A70 + Noiseblocker M12-P
Case
Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Monitor
BenQ RL2455HM
Keyboard
Cooler Master Octane
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 08:24 AM
Waiting for 7nm EUV

Arm is owned by SoftBank now, which is a Japanese company.

Edit: Now they also can't use microSD cards anymore:

[WCCFTech] Huawei Can No Longer Use microSD Cards in Its Devices as SD Association Removes Company’s Name From Its List

Is your CPU bottlenecking your GPU ? Find out: CPU and GPU usage along with FPS in-game
Read my reviews here.
Clubs (member): Corsair Professional HX / AX Series PSU Owners Club || The Official Cooler Master HAF X/932/922/912(+) Club
CPU
Core i7-3820
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth X79
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Optical Drive
Sony Optiarc DVD-RW
Power Supply
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Monitor
BenQ RL2455HM
Keyboard
Cooler Master Octane
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by tpi2007; 05-24-2019 at 08:38 AM.
post #43 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 09:01 AM
I <3 narcissists

Rep: 211 (Unique: 133)
Quote: Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post
You should care, this subject is way bigger than the here and now. Iterate on that thought of yours some more and see how that goes for your grandchildren.

How about no backdoors from either side?
That would be ideal, but it isn't going to happen. I won't be having any grandchildren (the world has enough people in it) I'm sure it won't be an issue for them. Besides, what good does it do you worry about the bear on the other side of the river when there is a wolf right in front of you.

My grandniece is already learning mandarin so she should do fine with the shift in power later in her life.

El Computer
(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard
Asrock X470 Taichi Ultimate
GPU
Radeon VII
GPU
EVGA 2080ti FTW3 Ultra
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO
Hard Drive
CRUCIAL 1TB MX500 M.2
Power Supply
EVGA G3
Cooling
CORSAIR H150I PRO
Case
LianLi PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG 32GK850G
Monitor
50" Vizio 4k TV
Keyboard
Logitech G110
Mouse
G.SKILL RIPJAWS MX780 USB
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 07:05 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I'm just wondering
Has anyone do some testing with a Huawei phone? I own one right now but didn't seem to care if the data gets leak out.

I'm always hearing researchers talking about leaks and exploits but what about people here or at XDA.
post #45 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 09:29 PM

Rep: 126 (Unique: 79)
Quote: Originally Posted by panzerchaos47 View Post
I'm just wondering
Has anyone do some testing with a Huawei phone? I own one right now but didn't seem to care if the data gets leak out.

I'm always hearing researchers talking about leaks and exploits but what about people here or at XDA.
All Chinese phones have vendor/third-party spyware preloaded and buried deep down. But I doubt the hardware itself somehow phones home, it shouldn't be hard to test with AOSP.

Main
(17 items)
Nintendo DS
(8 items)
CPU
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3
GPU
MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
RAM
G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3000
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
Hard Drive
WD Blue 3TB
Power Supply
EVGA 650 G2
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Cooling
Nanoxia Deep Silence 140mm
Cooling
Nanoxia Deep Silence 120mm
Case
Corsair 400Q
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS 1440p
Keyboard
Leopold FC750 (MX Brown)
Mouse
Logitech Performance Mouse MX
Audio
Mayflower Objective2 + ODAC Rev. B Combo
Audio
Audio-Technica ATH-A990Z
CPU
ARM946E-S 67.028 MHz
CPU
ARM7TDMI 33.514 MHz
RAM
4 MB
Hard Drive
256 kB
Power Supply
850 mAh
Operating System
DS OS
Monitor
3" 256×192 18-bit
Monitor
3" 256×192 18-bit
▲ hide details ▲
post #46 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 11:42 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 606 (Unique: 291)
Quote: Originally Posted by The Robot View Post
All Chinese phones have vendor/third-party spyware preloaded and buried deep down. But I doubt the hardware itself somehow phones home, it shouldn't be hard to test with AOSP.
It's been proven multiple times that both Apple and Google actively cooperate with the NSA (Google and Facebook were even born at DARPA and staffed with DARPA managers) so this criticism of Huawei is entirely hypocritical. I am not condoning Huawei spying on its users, it simply shouldn't happen but to single out Huawei, while the Western world have become far worse than 1984 is disgusting.

It seems the ban on Huawei isn't working out too well. The SD, WIFI and a few other foundations have resumed their licensing with Huawei.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by faraz1729 go_quote.gif
Haha, Liranan, you creep.

Tacitus - The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money. - Cree Indian Proverb
post #47 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 12:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I own two Huawei phones & my wife owns one. The second one I just bought because I figured I should get it while the getting's good so to speak. Besides, the price was right & if they do ban the devices, it'll be on new products, making existing product's see a potential price increase.

Either way, Huawei phones trounce the crap out of Samsung & Apple in terms of performance & battery life, not to mention materials: aluminum frames on the Huawei's vs plastic for Samsung & Apple (I think they are plastic anyway, they sure were "bendy" last time I handled one).

I doubt that Huawei is "spying on me" through the phone, especially because everything that I don't use I either uninstall or disable. I'm more concerned with the fact that my wife uses Facebook messenger because her sister & friends do, which is about as secure as sending an SMS message, maybe even less so.

As far as the comment by The Robot: "All Chinese phones have vendor/third-party spyware preloaded and buried deep down." I would add that so do Samsung & Apple devices & depending on if you purchased your phone through your wireless carrier & which carrier that is, the practice is industry-wide.

The ban on Huawei is nothing more than monopolistic manufacturer's using their influence & market share to reduce competition by keeping superior products which aren't ridiculously overpriced out of consumer's hands & off their radar. As far as the US Government banning Huawei devices, consider this: remember the Furby? That creepy ******* doll or whatever the hell it was? Well the CIA had them banned from their offices because Furby could record audio & it was assumed to have the potential transmit it as well.

As far as I'm concerned, the US Government is skeptical of any product which they deem might be a potential threat/means of doing the same thing they do themselves. If it ain't sanctioned, contracted, or carried out by a company HQ'd in America or one of Her allies: No way, Jose! Only Uncle Sam, Big Brother & govt approved companies are allowed to spy on civilians without their knowledge or consent, Fourth Amendment & right to a reasonable expectation of privacy be damned.

Now none of this applies, of course, to information which people freely give out through social media & other "public" means. That is all fair game... Wait, that includes public forums such as Overclock.net, doesn't it? Oh, crap. We're screwed!
post #48 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 07:39 AM
Waiting for 7nm EUV

AMD isn't licensing Zen 2 tech:

[TH] China Loses Zen: AMD Halts Technology Transfers of x86 IP

Quote:
AMD CEO Lisa Su confirmed to Tom's Hardware at Computex 2019 that the company isn't licensing further chip designs to its China-backed joint venture. That means that AMD's chip-producing joint venture in China will be confined to the Zen architecture that debuted in first-gen Ryzen and EPYC Milan processors, but will not move forward with designs based on AMD's new Zen 2 microarchitecture that powers the third-gen Ryzen and EPYC Rome processors.

Read my reviews here.
CPU
Core i7-3820
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth X79
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Optical Drive
Sony Optiarc DVD-RW
Power Supply
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Monitor
BenQ RL2455HM
Keyboard
Cooler Master Octane
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in