[Computex AMD] Navi mid range teaser - 5700 Series - Page 31 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Computex AMD] Navi mid range teaser - 5700 Series

post #301 of 337 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 12:15 PM
Back in the Game!

Rep: 26 (Unique: 25)
Quote: Originally Posted by looniam View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by doggymad View Post
I’m kinda stuck. I’m building a new rig early July - 3900X, but not sure which GPU yet as been out of the game for a while. Either the 5700XT, Radeon VII or RTX2080. Going to be a hard choice! If there are PCIe 4 NVMe drives out early July along with X570 boards then budget might be eaten by one of them so would need to go 5700XT.
i just posted this in the asus asrock mobo thread:

Phison will deliver a 6,500 MB/s PCIe 4.0 SSD controller "by Q1 of next year"
so maybe get that RVII and hold off until pci-e 4.0 nvme is faster and maybe cheaper.
I’ve seen a few benchmarks from a Gigabyte one that I thought might drop next month. It all depends what comes. I’ve also got a few bids open on RTX 2080Ti on eBay - hoping to just be able to get one of them for under £800. If I can’t get that then maybe the RVII if no Gen4 SSDs drop next month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 337 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 12:33 PM
professional curmudgeon

Rep: 775 (Unique: 445)
Quote: Originally Posted by doggymad View Post
I’ve seen a few benchmarks from a Gigabyte one that I thought might drop next month. It all depends what comes. I’ve also got a few bids open on RTX 2080Ti on eBay - hoping to just be able to get one of them for under £800. If I can’t get that then maybe the RVII if no Gen4 SSDs drop next month.
that gigabyte and all "new" ssds uses phison's E16 controller "upgraded" to pci-e 4.0, it WILL BE slower than what's coming out later and probably hotter.

don't get stuck w/early adopter's fee.

Remember the golden rule of statistics: A personal sample size of one is a sufficient basis upon which to draw universal conclusions.
Upload the computer to Dropbox and provide a link to it so others may download it to examine and give advice for repairs.
loon 3.2
(18 items)
CPU
i7-3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
EVGA 980TI SC+
RAM
16Gb PNY ddr3 1866
Hard Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb
Hard Drive
1 TB Seagate
Hard Drive
3 TB WD Blue
Optical Drive
DVD DVDRW+/-
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
EKWB P280 kit
Cooling
EK-VGA supremacy
Case
Stryker M [hammered and drilled]
Operating System
Win X
Monitor
LG 24MC57HQ-P
Keyboard
Ducky Zero [blues]
Mouse
corsair M65
Audio
SB Recon3D
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

post #303 of 337 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 03:03 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 400 (Unique: 206)
Quote: Originally Posted by AlphaC View Post
Is that right?

Nvidia Super is supposed to be real (supposedly unveiled June 21st) and replace existing stack: https://videocardz.com/81043/confirm...0-super-series

wccftech believes that that the Super cards will replace the existing stack and that the old stack will be price cut. Makes sense unlike the original idea that the Super was going to be cheaper.
yeah that picture is officially from Nvidia. it is even the font they use, but I don't know where they showed it and who they showed it to.

Yeah I am looking forward to the super cards.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 337 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 28 (Unique: 15)
Super cards is just lame btw

M8
(11 items)
Otto
(9 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 2600X
Motherboard
Asrock Taichi X470
GPU
sapphire fury nitro oc
RAM
GSkill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 Cl14
Hard Drive
SSD Crucial MX500 500GB
Power Supply
Antec HPC 850 Platinum
Cooling
noctua dual fan 120
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Acrylic
Operating System
microsoft windows 10 pro
Monitor
DELL U2311H
Monitor
ASUS MX34VQ
CPU
Intel Core i3/i5/i7
Motherboard
P8H77-I
GPU
AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
RAM
8 GB 1600
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Seasonic G-750
Case
Bitfenix Prodigy mitx
Operating System
Windows 8.1
Monitor
DELL U2311H
▲ hide details ▲
post #305 of 337 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 05:51 AM
Performance is the bible

Rep: 433 (Unique: 299)
Quote: Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post
Problem with nvidia you got to go 2080 above for sli or has that change?

Thanks (also to @white owl and op).
You are correct, with RTX nvidia removed the SLI connectors from anything but the 2080 and higher.
Either because the market for it was so low, they decided to save a few bucks, or they didn't want a couple of 2060s or 2070s to interfere with sales of the bigger cards.

AMD's solution is superior if you play full screen only in DX11, and for DX12 the mGPU support is OS/DX based so there is no need for connectors either way.

post #306 of 337 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 08:12 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 31 (Unique: 25)
AMD deserve a crap ton of hate and backlash over the pricing of these two Navi cards.More backlash than Nvidia because its a worse product launching 10 months late than the competition while costing more.

Gaming PC
(15 items)
CPU
Fx6300
Motherboard
Asus M5A78-LM
GPU
Inno3D GTX 1050Ti
RAM
DDR3 Ram 6GB
Hard Drive
WD Blue 1TB
Optical Drive
LG
Power Supply
Antec BP450PS
Cooling
Stock Intel
Case
iBall Axton
Operating System
Windows 7 64bit SP1
Monitor
Dell E2014H 20" 1600*900
Keyboard
Intex Corona Spillproof
Mouse
Steelseries Rival 300 Gaming mice
Mouse
None
Audio
Philips SHP2000
▲ hide details ▲
post #307 of 337 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 09:16 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 529 (Unique: 299)
and this is why AMD will always be in second, even if they aren't.

They let themselves become Mascot of a section of people that're never happy, no matter the situation.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
post #308 of 337 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 09:58 AM
The Challenger

Rep: 281 (Unique: 121)
Quote: Originally Posted by mohit9206 View Post
AMD deserve a crap ton of hate and backlash over the pricing of these two Navi cards.More backlash than Nvidia because its a worse product launching 10 months late than the competition while costing more.
Oh. Did you say the same thing regarding the GTX 1650?

Yeah... Didn't think so.

Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
and this is why AMD will always be in second, even if they aren't.

They let themselves become Mascot of a section of people that're never happy, no matter the situation.
Let themselves? Tell me. What can they do? It's always a lose lose for AMD.

If they bring features first, nobody uses them, if they bring them later, they're always behind nVidia.
If they add features that nVidia has, they're copying, and if they don't, they lack features.
If they're priced significantly lower, they're the budget brand and you're better off buying nVidia. If they price just slightly lower or equal, they are too expensive and you're better off buying nVidia.
If they release a card first, better wait for nVidia. If they release a competitive card after nVidia, they're late.

So really. Honestly. Tell me. What can/must they do? Let me guess. Become a charity by releasing a card that beats the 2080 Ti for max $300, right? Just so that they can get hated on again if they ever try to make money.
post #309 of 337 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 10:44 AM
⤷ αC

Rep: 838 (Unique: 558)
You know AMD could have bundled AAA games with the 50th anniversary edition to make the $500 version with blower more appealing. The Microsoft Game Pass is a trial offer.

They could have made a better cooling solution (if you recall fermi had heatpipes and a bigger fin area) as well for it.

AMD is doing is what is smart though, they have the Apple Mac market (people would buy it if it had a toaster instead of a GPU because it's Apple), console market (nobody cares about the brand of CPU/GPU it's identified by Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo branding), Google Stadia, and also partnered up with Samsung on mobile devices. If they can break into mobile devices it's better for them than breaking into the gaming PC market. A console sale always gets them profit whereas a GPU might not make MSRP after a few months. Lisa Su stated she is aiming for 45%+ margin.

There's really no incentive for AMD to compete with consoles, it's self defeating. I'm pretty sure most of the funding for Navi came from consoles. Nvidia is pressured into competing because they thrive on the gaming PC market and the workstation / compute space. The self driving cars DGX stuff and deep learning emphasis would count as compute. Nvidia shield doesn't have as much of a market presence. If someone is not gaming , using their GPU for render/compute, or using graphically intensive applications, then they don't need more than Intel graphics or AMD Ryzen APU for graphics (most decent $500 laptops are coming with Ryzen APUs instead of i3 s or i5s). Nvidia needs to peddle RTX because other than for compute there's no major reason to get it over Pascal (perf/watt hasn't changed much when Tensor cores or concurrent float+int aren't used) short of if you have cash to blow on RTX 2080 Ti / RTX TITAN.
--> "Q1 2019 ResultsRevenue was $1.27 billion, down 23 percent year-over-year primarily due to lower revenue in the Computing and Graphics segment. Revenue was down 10 percent quarter-over-quarter primarily due to lower client processor sales. ...The year-over-year decline was primarily due to lower revenue and operating income in the Computing and Graphics segment."- http://ir.amd.com/static-files/a84df...f-f35149030e4d
--> "AMD showed a 21% gain in desktop discrete GPU shipments in Q1’19. Overall GPU shipments decreased -18.62% from last quarter, AMD shipments decreased -4.6% Nvidia decreased -12.7% .. Discrete GPUs were in 28.95% of PCs" https://www.jonpeddie.com/press-rele...eddie-research

I really don't anticipate an early price cut if Nvidia's Super cards are 10% more CUDA cores for the RTX 2070 / RTX 2060 with faster VRAM, it would probably end up being a game bundle as it isn't massive performance uplift. RX 590 didn't get an unofficial price cut until $220 GTX 1660 hit the shelves ; Vega56 competed with $280 MSRP GTX 1660 Ti. RX 5700 is likely the better of the two Navi cards for performance per dollar as this time it's only a shader difference : the memory speed is the same. RX 5700 XT seems a bit gouged due to TU106 RTX 2070 being baseline. The TU104 RTX 2070 Super isn't likely to change that much though.
--> "We are in the process of confirming the pricing details, but it appears that RTX 20 Super will basically get RTX 20 Non-Super MSRP’s while the former will receive a price cut." https://videocardz.com/81046/nvidia-...aunch-mid-july
--> https://nvidianews.nvidia.com/news/n...er-fiscal-2020 (sectors highlighted are: Data center /cloud, Gaming, Pro visualization, Automotive - deep learning, edge computing)

It's all just another slap in the face for RTX buyers. Someone who bought into "6GB VRAM on 192-bit bus is enough" is going to regret their purchase now that the TU104 chip is going into RTX 2070 and the RTX 2060 Super is supposed to be getting 8GB VRAM.

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

Last edited by AlphaC; 06-13-2019 at 11:00 AM.
post #310 of 337 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 10:54 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 136 (Unique: 91)
Quote: Originally Posted by NightAntilli View Post
Oh. Did you say the same thing regarding the GTX 1650?

Yeah... Didn't think so.

Let themselves? Tell me. What can they do? It's always a lose lose for AMD.

If they bring features first, nobody uses them, if they bring them later, they're always behind nVidia.
If they add features that nVidia has, they're copying, and if they don't, they lack features.
If they're priced significantly lower, they're the budget brand and you're better off buying nVidia. If they price just slightly lower or equal, they are too expensive and you're better off buying nVidia.
If they release a card first, better wait for nVidia. If they release a competitive card after nVidia, they're late.

So really. Honestly. Tell me. What can/must they do? Let me guess. Become a charity by releasing a card that beats the 2080 Ti for max $300, right? Just so that they can get hated on again if they ever try to make money.
Well said.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in