[Tom's Hardware] Chips, 10nm Ice Lake, 18% IPC Improvement, Sunny Cove Cores, Gen11 Graphics, Thunderbolt 3 - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Tom's Hardware] Chips, 10nm Ice Lake, 18% IPC Improvement, Sunny Cove Cores, Gen11 Graphics, Thunderbolt 3

post #11 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 08:33 AM
Waiting for 7nm EUV

Rep: 879 (Unique: 498)
All this tells me is that they are still having troubles with 10nm as they can only go up to 28w TDP max and 4.1 Ghz boost clock on 4C/8T parts. In other words, they still weren't able to get out of mobile territory, just like with the Cannon Lake affair. Now let's see if they can make these in volume anytime soon or if it's also smoke and mirrors like last time. If they can make them in volume, mobile is very important, so not all is lost.

The existence of the 9900KS tells me that higher core count with higher clockspeeds on the desktop is still many months away. 18% IPC uplift since 2015's Skylake arch (Coffee Lake refresh is still Skylake CPU cores under the hood) is decent, but they need the high clocks on the desktop too to remain competitive. Apparently only the 14nm++ process can do it as of now.

Is your CPU bottlenecking your GPU ? Find out: CPU and GPU usage along with FPS in-game
Read my reviews here.
Clubs (founder): The rare / unusual CPU club
Clubs (member): Corsair Professional HX / AX Series PSU Owners Club || The Official Cooler Master HAF X/932/922/912(+) Club
CPU
Core i7-3820
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth X79
GPU
MSI GTX 1060 6 GB Gaming X
RAM
16 GB Corsair DDR3 1866 Mhz Dominator
Hard Drive
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + WD Caviar Black 2TB
Optical Drive
Sony Optiarc DVD-RW
Power Supply
Corsair AX750 Professional Modular 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Corsair A70 + Noiseblocker M12-P
Case
Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Monitor
BenQ RL2455HM
Keyboard
Cooler Master Octane
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 08:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 43 (Unique: 37)
Quote: Originally Posted by anejchy View Post
So... AMD might not totally destroy Intel in the upcoming years?
Considering they cannot scale their core count as well as AMD, that it cost them much more to create high core count CPUs compare to AMD's chiplet design and that AMD's zen 3 will also have some IPC increases.. Ice lake was announced in 2014 for a 2016 release and we wont see it until at least the end of 2019 and even then, I would not bet in it, it's been delayed many times. This news article is reactionary to AMD's presentation, I would not read too much into it. Intel has been plagued with many security issues, AMD is offering a really compelling offering for the server market. Also *Performance results are based on [...] and may not reflect all publicly available security updates*. I'd say Intel is still in hot waters.
post #13 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 08:42 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by doom26464 View Post
These are all low wattage small 4 core mobile parts. While its finally good for intel to get 10nm out the gate, high perfomance desktop parts will be awhile yet.

By time intel gets them ready for high end desktop I imagine amd will be ready for there refresh of zen 2. Intel will have to be ready to deal with that.

Competition is finally taking hold but its safe to safe intel will be loosing the high end enthusiast desktop space for the next 1-2 years till they can come swinging back. Hopefully in this time AMD as well can plan there next move carefully for zen 3 and there zen2 refresh.

If AMD is already out selling intel 1 to 2 it will probably move to 1 to 3. As we see even more mid range and high end gaming pc move over to AMD.
AMD outselling Intel by 1 to 2, 1 to 3? Which factual data are you basing this off of? World marketshare has typically been Intel 75-80%, AMD 15-20%, Other 1-2% for the last several quarters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 08:46 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 47 (Unique: 28)
Zen2 would have to bost ~ 4.4 Ghz on all cores to mach 5ghz all core 9900KS.
post #15 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 08:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 564 (Unique: 287)
If you read the footnote on the ipc slide...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG StroOnZ
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
No I said if Vega is clocked @ 1600MHz out of the box, I will eat my shoe on Twitch.tv.

Sound good? wink.gif
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicin View Post
Not in games, which is what 99.9999 percent of us care about

And unless you own a business, you get paid for your time. So your compute power just makes more work for you not less

Ryzen is a joke to the vast majority of the market who would consider buying their product.
post #16 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 09:02 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post
All this tells me is that they are still having troubles with 10nm as they can only go up to 28w TDP max and 4.1 Ghz boost clock on 4C/8T parts. In other words, they still weren't able to get out of mobile territory, just like with the Cannon Lake affair. Now let's see if they can make these in volume anytime soon or if it's also smoke and mirrors like last time. If they can make them in volume, mobile is very important, so not all is lost.

The existence of the 9900KS tells me that higher core count with higher clockspeeds on the desktop is still many months away. 18% IPC uplift since 2015's Skylake arch (Coffee Lake refresh is still Skylake CPU cores under the hood) is decent, but they need the high clocks on the desktop too to remain competitive. Apparently only the 14nm++ process can do it as of now.
IMO the 18% assumed IPC is only okay since as you stated, in reality it's really being compared to Skylake architecture. Credit to Intel's engineer, they've been able to do wonders with 14nm and monolithic cpu designs. As a someone who's all for tech advancement miniaturization, I hope Intel stays with monolithic for as long it they can. Likely, Intel will drop monolithic designs down the road because it makes great business sense like when AMD did it. Though in AMD's case, their engineering expertise was a limiting factor with monolithic designs compared to Intel.

post #17 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 09:03 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 162 (Unique: 120)
With all the issues they have had on 10nm, I wouldn't be surprised to see Sunny Cove end up on 14nm+++ then in 2021 finally getting shrunk down onto 7nm.

That's just fine with me as a consumer though, I want AMD to take the lead and gain a bunch of the market share. That way they can be on more equal footing as they go blow for blow in the future.

Sunny Cove looks like it's gonna be a real step forward for intel finally which is great, but in 5 or 10 years I want to see this time as the time when AMD and Intel squared up and really started fighting, rather than a small hiccup for Intel before going back to business as usual.

post #18 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 09:09 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 93 (Unique: 48)
Important to note: 18% IPC improvement can be accurate in whatever metric Intel used. But they've lost ~10%~ clockspeed from Whiskey Lake to Ice Lake, so that IPC bump is necessary to make up for the clock deficit. Actual overall performance increase will depend both.

Whiskey Lake 15W boosts to 4.7Ghz, this 15W was 4.1Ghz only (someone correct me if I'm wrong I can't remember exact figures)

* Ryzen 7 2700X * Gigabyte Aorus X370 Gaming 5 *16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4 3200Mhz memory * 500GB Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2/500GB Crucial BX300
EVGA FTW2 1070 Ti * NZXT S340 Elite White
post #19 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 09:11 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Quote: Originally Posted by D-S-J View Post
IMO the 18% assumed IPC is only okay since as you stated, in reality it's really being compared to Skylake architecture. Credit to Intel's engineer, they've been able to do wonders with 14nm and monolithic cpu designs. As a someone who's all for tech advancement miniaturization, I hope Intel stays with monolithic for as long it they can. Likely, Intel will drop monolithic designs down the road because it makes great business sense like when AMD did it. Though in AMD's case, their engineering expertise was a limiting factor with monolithic designs compared to Intel.

I would be giving the credit to their FABs. Intel has essentially not really done anything architecturally in the last 4 generations. They've simply demanded better binned chips that they can clock higher from their fabs. That's all 14+++++++++ (whatever) is.

It is what it is...
(16 items)
CPU
Ryzen 5 1600x
Motherboard
MSI X370 Gaming plus
GPU
Asus GTX 1070
RAM
G.Skill DDR4 3000mhz
Hard Drive
Sandisk Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
Seagate 4gb 7200rpm
Hard Drive
Seagate 4gb 7200rpm
Optical Drive
Pioneer BDR-211XJBK/WS Blu Ray drive
Power Supply
Keian 600w 80plus Gold KT-AP600-AXG HC
Cooling
Enermax ELC-LMR120S-BS AIO liquid cooler
Case
Fractal Design Focus G FD-CA-FOCUS-BK-W
Operating System
Windows 10 64-bit
Monitor
2x HP 23er
Keyboard
Logitech G710+
Mouse
Logitech G602 Wireless mouse
Mouse
Steelseries QCK+
CPU
Intel i5-7300hq
GPU
NVidia GTX 1050ti 4GB
RAM
16gb (2 x 8gb) DDR4 2400mhz CL17 memory
Hard Drive
Intel 600p 256gb NVMe SSD
Hard Drive
Seagate Firecuda 2tb 5400rpm HDD
Operating System
Windows 10 professional 64-bit
Monitor
AUO B156HAN06.1
▲ hide details ▲
post #20 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
sudo apt install sl

Rep: 157 (Unique: 113)
Quote: Originally Posted by dj_tokyu View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by D-S-J View Post

I would be giving the credit to their FABs. Intel has essentially not really done anything architecturally in the last 4 generations. They've simply demanded better binned chips that they can clock higher from their fabs. That's all 14+++++++++ (whatever) is.
It's not like they made a 28 core monolithic chip or anything.

Maximus
(20 items)
CPU
Core i9 9900K... CoffeeTime! @ 5.25Ghz w/ 1.38v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Radeon VII @ 2100Mhz/1250Mhz w/ 1150mV
RAM
Corsair 16GB 4000Mhz 17-17-17-37
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector Radeon VII - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Clear Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in