[Tom's Hardware] AMD Launches Radeon Pro Vega II And Pro Vega II Duo 7nm GPUs - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Tom's Hardware] AMD Launches Radeon Pro Vega II And Pro Vega II Duo 7nm GPUs

post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 07:38 PM
New to Posting

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Quote: Originally Posted by SuprPwrUsr View Post
Anyone else confused about this whole AMD Radeon Pro Vega II vs Radeon VII, I thought Radeon VII stood for Vega II but the announcement would suggest this Pro Vega II is a different release from the VII. During apple's keynote they specifically called it Radeon Vega II rather than Radeon 7.

EDIT: Nevermind. Just read the article and all the questions will be answered.
Honestly i had the same question when "Radeon 7" was announced i just thought it was the "vega 2/V II". this would also mean the vega pro duo is the "vega ~14/ Vega 20x2"... idk cursive is gone, latin is dead, so why not just bury roman numerals too, huh?

yea i mean sure nvidia has a clear advantage in the market right now... until stadia attempts to prove the OCN community futile that is, sure. but most of what you just listed is ML, and i thought that was kind of the idea behind the VII. Machine learning/Compute on the enterprise side, but placed at a consumer price point, given heat, TDP, etc. the card still has its purposes.

and before its mentioned, RTX has been brought up by Su on both aspects of Hardware or Software, and stated that “we’re working very closely with the ecosystem on both hardware and software solutions and expect that ray tracing will be an important element especially as it gets more into the mainstream.”

https://www.analyticsindiamag.com/do...market-divide/

but this is the last straw for vega, given personally i never really accepted them as fails... the competition in gaming performance was debated over at least, that says something. lets just hope the next generation gives us the new 6990/590/7990/690/295x2/MARSii whatever card. a single card to punch any one system with two cards right in their smug faces. something we can say we spent $X on and never regretted it till it was generations behind the standards gtx 260. im looking forward to both AMD and Nvidia's upcoming cards, cant wait to ditch my budget VR card

CPU
Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard
MSI AM4 B450I Gaming Plus AC
GPU
MSI Radeon RX 580 8GB
RAM
Patriot Viper 4 2x8gb 3000mhz
Hard Drive
500gb Mushkin Source M.2
Hard Drive
1tb Mushkin Source SSD
Power Supply
Corsair CX 650
Power Supply
2016 International Prostar 2200w Inverter
Cooling
Coolermaster LC120E AIO
Case
Silverstone Sugo13
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Monitor
Insignia 43" 4K HDR
Monitor
Samsung Odyssey+
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter
sudo apt install sl

Rep: 158 (Unique: 114)
Quote: Originally Posted by nonametoclaim View Post
yea i mean sure nvidia has a clear advantage in the market right now... until stadia attempts to prove the OCN community futile that is, sure. but most of what you just listed is ML, and i thought that was kind of the idea behind the VII. Machine learning/Compute on the enterprise side, but placed at a consumer price point, given heat, TDP, etc. the card still has its purposes.

and before its mentioned, RTX has been brought up by Su on both aspects of Hardware or Software, and stated that “we’re working very closely with the ecosystem on both hardware and software solutions and expect that ray tracing will be an important element especially as it gets more into the mainstream.”

https://www.analyticsindiamag.com/do...market-divide/

but this is the last straw for vega, given personally i never really accepted them as fails... the competition in gaming performance was debated over at least, that says something. lets just hope the next generation gives us the new 6990/590/7990/690/295x2/MARSii whatever card. a single card to punch any one system with two cards right in their smug faces. something we can say we spent $X on and never regretted it till it was generations behind the standards gtx 260. im looking forward to both AMD and Nvidia's upcoming cards, cant wait to ditch my budget VR card
I'm not talking about performance just pure partnerships/deals that recently happened which @Zam15 completely missed in their comparison.

I'm glad AMD cards are being used in the data center. They finally found a use for their Radeon Pro V340 cards.

Maximus
(20 items)
CPU
Core i9 9900K... CoffeeTime! @ 4.2Ghz w/ 1v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Radeon VII @ 2100Mhz/1250Mhz w/ 1150mV
RAM
G.Skill 16GB 3866Mhz CL15
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector Radeon VII - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Clear Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 12:44 AM
Performance is the bible

Rep: 433 (Unique: 299)
Quote: Originally Posted by nonametoclaim View Post
The VII idea was to use leftover MI50 cores that AMD couldn't sell and keep themselves relevant in the general market until navi shows up.
The VII doesn't have the full suit support (mainly software) as its datacenter counterparts (MI50/60), and is not as largely used for ML or compute in the enterprise market.
Yes, some people do use it for ML, just like some people use the 2080 TI or titans etc. But overall, it is just a drop of water compared to datacenter cards sales.

Currently even with their newest cards, AMD are not a big threat to nvidia to worry right now. Google are actually the threat to nvidia, as they are trying to make their own hardware. Market wise, nvidia revenue is more than twice that of AMD in the ML/AI/Data center market. They had a bigger growth than AMD in 2018 and are set to do so in 2019 as well.

While nvidia basically gave up on the consoles several years ago (beside the switch), revenue wise, it is a market which gets smaller compared to data centers. So future view wise, they made a good choice. While AMD concentrated on custom hardware for consoles (basically stagnating their technology), nvidia pushed for new technology and suits for data centres, which is expected to be 100B$+ market in 4-5 years.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 01:03 AM
Top kek

Rep: 110 (Unique: 65)
Quote: Originally Posted by Defoler View Post
The VII idea was to use leftover MI50 cores that AMD couldn't sell and keep themselves relevant in the general market until navi shows up.
The VII doesn't have the full suit support (mainly software) as its datacenter counterparts (MI50/60), and is not as largely used for ML or compute in the enterprise market.
Yes, some people do use it for ML, just like some people use the 2080 TI or titans etc. But overall, it is just a drop of water compared to datacenter cards sales.

Currently even with their newest cards, AMD are not a big threat to nvidia to worry right now. Google are actually the threat to nvidia, as they are trying to make their own hardware. Market wise, nvidia revenue is more than twice that of AMD in the ML/AI/Data center market. They had a bigger growth than AMD in 2018 and are set to do so in 2019 as well.

While nvidia basically gave up on the consoles several years ago (beside the switch), revenue wise, it is a market which gets smaller compared to data centers. So future view wise, they made a good choice. While AMD concentrated on custom hardware for consoles (basically stagnating their technology), nvidia pushed for new technology and suits for data centres, which is expected to be 100B$+ market in 4-5 years.
I dont think aiming for the console market is actually stagnating their progress. You have actually really tight requirements for the hardware. You cant just put a 300W GPU in it. Good performing, efficient CPU+GPU+VRAM/RAM is not something easy to achieve.

Previous Hardware:
Spoiler!
Desktop PC
(19 items)
CPU
AMD FX-8320
Motherboard
ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer
GPU
Sapphire Nitro+ RX480
GPU
XFX RX470 Singlefan
GPU
MSI RX580 GamingX 4GB
RAM
Mushkin Redline 996996 2x4GB 2133Mhz
Hard Drive
Western Digital 160GB 7200RPM 8MB
Hard Drive
Maxtor 250GB 7200RPM 8MB
Hard Drive
Corsair Force LS
Hard Drive
WesternDigital Blue 500GB 7200RPM 16MB
Power Supply
Corsair TX850M
Cooling
ThermalTake Frio Silent 14
Case
ThermalTake View 27
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise 1607
Operating System
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
Monitor
AOC i2267FWH
Keyboard
Logitech K120
Mouse
Bloody V5
Audio
Corsair HS30 Raptor
▲ hide details ▲
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 02:48 AM
OG AMD

Rep: 579 (Unique: 457)
Quote: Originally Posted by Defoler View Post

AMD also concentrated on compute performance over gaming in their architecture.... besides a console is just a mini server.

https://valid.x86.fr/cache/banner/4d8m5e-6.png
AMD Athlon II 450 @4.74GHz http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2204588
AMD MaxxMemm Rankings
960T @ 4.6GHz http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2171450
RedwoodCustomPC
AM4
(4 items)
RCPC#1
(17 items)
Professional
(13 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2200G
Motherboard
ASRock X470 Taichi
GPU
MSI RX570 Armor MKII 8GB
Power Supply
GSKill Ripjaws PS850G
CPU
AMD Phenom II X6 960T
Motherboard
Asus M4A88T-VEVO
GPU
Asus Strix R7 370
RAM
SuperTalent Perfomance
RAM
GSkill Snipers
Hard Drive
Monster Daytona
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7,200 RPM 16Mb cache
Optical Drive
Memorex DVD/RW
Power Supply
Corsair GS500
Cooling
Corsair H60
Case
In Win H-Frame
Operating System
Windows 8N
Monitor
IBM 9494 19" LCD
Keyboard
IBM
Mouse
OCZ Behemoth
Mouse
Wolfking
Audio
JBL Creature
CPU
Phenom II X6 1100t
Motherboard
MSI 890FX GD65
GPU
MSI Radeon HD5670
RAM
GSkill RipjawsX DDR3 PC3 12800 2x4GB CL8
Hard Drive
WD Black 1TB SATA III
Optical Drive
Samsung BD
Power Supply
Kingwin Lazer Platinum 500w
Cooling
Zalman 9900MAX
Case
Fractal Design R3
Operating System
Windows 7 64 Professional
Monitor
AOC 22" LED
Keyboard
Logitech
Other
Samsung 470 SSD 128GB
▲ hide details ▲

post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:46 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote: Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
I'm not talking about performance just pure partnerships/deals that recently happened which @Zam15 completely missed in their comparison.

I'm glad AMD cards are being used in the data center. They finally found a use for their Radeon Pro V340 cards.
Didn't miss them, I said RECENT. As in Computex and CES, not last year. Most of the articles you linked talked about product being offered, not actually in use and are for development Key words; "positioning" "In the works" "preview" "available" I'm not saying they haven't made sales but I don't see the same commitments that were made to AMD. It's obvious from AMD announcements that millions of units that will be shipping. Yes I know these are low margin compared to enterprise parts these will be huge volumes for each deal.

Anyways you think auto manufactures are going stick to Nvidia for self driving tech? Tesla already developed their on in house solution. I expect the rest to eventually follow their lead. So that big future market Nvidia was pursuing? Gone

My main thing is seeing more developers of applications I use (Gaming, VR) will be developing for use on AMD hardware as that's what the majority of the market will be going forward. Major company's are jumping on the AMD bandwagon and I'm happy to see competition.

I'll be looking to upgrade my Nvidia SLI 980s for something that will run the next generation for games that will be coming out for PlayStation and Xbox.
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
sudo apt install sl

Rep: 158 (Unique: 114)
Quote: Originally Posted by Zam15 View Post
Didn't miss them, I said RECENT. As in Computex and CES, not last year. Most of the articles you linked talked about product being offered, not actually in use and are for development Key words; "positioning" "In the works" "preview" "available" I'm not saying they haven't made sales but I don't see the same commitments that were made to AMD. It's obvious from AMD announcements that millions of units that will be shipping. Yes I know these are low margin compared to enterprise parts these will be huge volumes for each deal.

Anyways you think auto manufactures are going stick to Nvidia for self driving tech? Tesla already developed their on in house solution. I expect the rest to eventually follow their lead. So that big future market Nvidia was pursuing? Gone

My main thing is seeing more developers of applications I use (Gaming, VR) will be developing for use on AMD hardware as that's what the majority of the market will be going forward. Major company's are jumping on the AMD bandwagon and I'm happy to see competition.

I'll be looking to upgrade my Nvidia SLI 980s for something that will run the next generation for games that will be coming out for PlayStation and Xbox.
Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud and Amazon AWS announced use of nVidia's T4 GPUs after the Google Stadia announcement.

Maximus
(20 items)
CPU
Core i9 9900K... CoffeeTime! @ 4.2Ghz w/ 1v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Radeon VII @ 2100Mhz/1250Mhz w/ 1150mV
RAM
G.Skill 16GB 3866Mhz CL15
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector Radeon VII - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Clear Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:22 AM
⤷ αC

Rep: 838 (Unique: 558)
This was smart on AMD's part. Don't need to worry about mindshare if you get into consoles and Apple products. Nobody really asks what GPU is in their console or Mac unless it's an option.

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 05:31 AM
OG AMD

Rep: 579 (Unique: 457)
Quote: Originally Posted by AlphaC View Post
This was smart on AMD's part. Don't need to worry about mindshare if you get into consoles and Apple products. Nobody really asks what GPU is in their console or Mac unless it's an option.
Ecosphere. AMD could nearly always make a competitive hardware product...only to see it lag behind because software was not being optimised for it. You can't get devs to optimize for your hardware unless you have sales...you can't get enough sales without devs optimising for your hardware......was a never ending dilemna.

Zen would not be where it is without the console market.

https://valid.x86.fr/cache/banner/4d8m5e-6.png
AMD Athlon II 450 @4.74GHz http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2204588
AMD MaxxMemm Rankings
960T @ 4.6GHz http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2171450
RedwoodCustomPC
AM4
(4 items)
RCPC#1
(17 items)
Professional
(13 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2200G
Motherboard
ASRock X470 Taichi
GPU
MSI RX570 Armor MKII 8GB
Power Supply
GSKill Ripjaws PS850G
CPU
AMD Phenom II X6 960T
Motherboard
Asus M4A88T-VEVO
GPU
Asus Strix R7 370
RAM
SuperTalent Perfomance
RAM
GSkill Snipers
Hard Drive
Monster Daytona
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7,200 RPM 16Mb cache
Optical Drive
Memorex DVD/RW
Power Supply
Corsair GS500
Cooling
Corsair H60
Case
In Win H-Frame
Operating System
Windows 8N
Monitor
IBM 9494 19" LCD
Keyboard
IBM
Mouse
OCZ Behemoth
Mouse
Wolfking
Audio
JBL Creature
CPU
Phenom II X6 1100t
Motherboard
MSI 890FX GD65
GPU
MSI Radeon HD5670
RAM
GSkill RipjawsX DDR3 PC3 12800 2x4GB CL8
Hard Drive
WD Black 1TB SATA III
Optical Drive
Samsung BD
Power Supply
Kingwin Lazer Platinum 500w
Cooling
Zalman 9900MAX
Case
Fractal Design R3
Operating System
Windows 7 64 Professional
Monitor
AOC 22" LED
Keyboard
Logitech
Other
Samsung 470 SSD 128GB
▲ hide details ▲

post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 08:15 AM
I <3 narcissists

Rep: 211 (Unique: 133)
Quote: Originally Posted by Redwoodz View Post
Ecosphere. AMD could nearly always make a competitive hardware product...only to see it lag behind because software was not being optimised for it. You can't get devs to optimize for your hardware unless you have sales...you can't get enough sales without devs optimising for your hardware......was a never ending dilemna.

Zen would not be where it is without the console market.
If what you mean is that the consoles helped pay for creating Zen, I agree.

It took a minute before software started to get optimized for Ryzen and it's still in that process, but accelerating. The sales numbers are the reason for the push towards being optimized and the trend seems like it is going to continue growing with Zen 2. The pc market should have software pretty well optimized by the time they launch the new consoles with Zen inside.

El Computer
(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard
Asrock X470 Taichi Ultimate
GPU
Radeon VII
GPU
EVGA 2080ti FTW3 Ultra
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO
Hard Drive
CRUCIAL 1TB MX500 M.2
Power Supply
EVGA G3
Cooling
CORSAIR H150I PRO
Case
LianLi PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG 32GK850G
Monitor
50" Vizio 4k TV
Keyboard
Logitech G110
Mouse
G.SKILL RIPJAWS MX780 USB
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in