[Anand] Seagate Announces 16TB HDDs - Page 5 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Anand] Seagate Announces 16TB HDDs

post #41 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 11:16 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
Quote: Originally Posted by epic1337 View Post
no no, i wasn't talking about it's read/write speed, obviously RAID5 with lots of HDD would have a much higher read/write speed.
i'm talking about RAID1's rebuild being better than RAID5, it takes less time and less chances of it hitting a brickwall.

Yea the key is reducing the odds that a critical drive fails during the rebuild resulting in data loss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 12:47 PM
Robotic Chemist

Rep: 179 (Unique: 119)
Quote: Originally Posted by zeroibis View Post
Riad 1 should be fine but raid 6 has been broken for safe rebuilds for years already.
Why is RAID6 broken for safe rebuilds? I could see RAID5 being unsafe but rebuilding one drive out of a RAID6 is pretty safe. If you get a read error while rebuilding a RAID1 array you lose data but with RAID6 you only lose data due to a read error if you are rebuilding two drives at once. With RAID 0+1 losing the wrong two drives is really bad.

The hyperbole about RAID6 being broken today is wrong and is based on very out of date information. RAID6 works very well today, especially with the more common rebuilding of one missing drive and it provides a lot more speed and storage space than RAID 1,10, or 0+1 do. RAID 0+1 does rebuild one missing drive really fast, which is very nice.

RAID is not like a backup but you can rebuild RAID6 arrays today. I know because I lost two drives out of a RAID6 array at the same time and was still able to rebuild it. I have rebuilt one missing drive several times.
post #43 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 04:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
My experience though with copying an entire drive's worth of data is that the drive itself becomes very hot. Imagine 16 TB!

Last edited by Krawk; 06-11-2019 at 04:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:08 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
Quote: Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Why is RAID6 broken for safe rebuilds? I could see RAID5 being unsafe but rebuilding one drive out of a RAID6 is pretty safe. If you get a read error while rebuilding a RAID1 array you lose data but with RAID6 you only lose data due to a read error if you are rebuilding two drives at once. With RAID 0+1 losing the wrong two drives is really bad.

The hyperbole about RAID6 being broken today is wrong and is based on very out of date information. RAID6 works very well today, especially with the more common rebuilding of one missing drive and it provides a lot more speed and storage space than RAID 1,10, or 0+1 do. RAID 0+1 does rebuild one missing drive really fast, which is very nice.

RAID is not like a backup but you can rebuild RAID6 arrays today. I know because I lost two drives out of a RAID6 array at the same time and was still able to rebuild it. I have rebuilt one missing drive several times.

At those sizes really the best option would be RAID-Z3 but I have found the best performance to risk storage to work like this:
[HDD -- RAID 0 -- HDD]_____________________________________[HDD -- RAID 0 -- HDD]
----MIRROR POOL-----_____----->Unified Pool of Pools<-----_____----MIRROR POOL-----
[HDD -- RAID 0 -- HDD]_____________________________________[HDD -- RAID 0 -- HDD]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in