[Techspot]Next-gen Xbox arrives in Fall 2020: AMD powered, supports ray tracing and 120Hz 8K displays - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Techspot]Next-gen Xbox arrives in Fall 2020: AMD powered, supports ray tracing and 120Hz 8K displays

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 359 (Unique: 236)
[Techspot]Next-gen Xbox arrives in Fall 2020: AMD powered, supports ray tracing and 120Hz 8K displays

Highly anticipated: Although Cyberpunk 2077 was arguably the star of the show at Microsoft's annual Xbox E3 conference, that doesn't mean there weren't any other announcements to get excited about -- Project Scarlett, the gaming behemoth's next console, got a soft reveal as well.
On stage, we received new information about Scarlett's hardware and performance capabilities: now, we know it will feature "high bandwidth" GDDR6 memory and a "next generation" solid state drive. Combined, Microsoft believes that hardware will pave the way for reduced or outright eliminated loading screens in games.

So, what about the more meaty specs? Apparently, Scarlett will run a "custom-designed" AMD processor based on Ryzen Zen 2 technology, as well as a Navi-based video card.

Courtesy of this hardware, Scarlett will include support for a "variable" 120Hz refresh rate, hardware-accelerated ray tracing, 8K resolutions, and "ultra-low latency input." All in all, Microsoft claims Scarlett will be four times more powerful than its predecessor, the Xbox One X. While we'll have to see real-world performance results before we can verify those claims, they don't seem entirely unreasonable.

...Scarlett will include support for a "variable" 120Hz refresh rate, hardware-accelerated ray tracing, 8K resolutions, and "ultra-low latency input."

Speaking of the Xbox One X, Microsoft insists that the transition from the aging console to Project Scarlett will be relatively seamless. "With Project Scarlett, we continue our commitment to compatibility by ensuring your gaming accessories and Xbox career will also move forward with you, along with thousands of games across four console generations which will look and play best on Project Scarlett," the company says.

That statement seems to imply that a certain degree of backward compatibility will be available with Xbox One games. That's not exactly a surprise (the PlayStation 5 will have similar features), but it is still nice to know given the massive libraries many console gamers have already amassed.

In short, Project Scarlett is looking to be a pretty significant step forward for the Xbox community; even if it doesn't appear to be offering anything significantly different than the PS5.

If you're wondering when you can get your hands on a Scarlett system, Microsoft says it will be arriving sometime during the holiday season of 2020. As for what games you'll be able to pop in to take advantage of Scarlett's fancy new tech, the company says the upcoming Halo Infinite will be a notable launch title.

https://www.techspot.com/news/80433-...iday-2020.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 11:19 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 133 (Unique: 84)
I’m super glad they mentioned low input latency.
Apparently Xbox One is regularly 30-50ms slower than PS4 with input lag. Any Xbox user who cares about competition needs to upgrade to Scarlett ASAP just for that feature alone.

Speaking of inputs, that Elite 2.0 is a must have. I’ve been ripping the springs out of my analog sticks for the last 20 years because tension is just too high and I can’t use a stock controller for more than a week without getting inflammation in my wrist (it was mostly console gaming in the 90’s that did that to me).
Springless sticks are still the ideal when I’m playing shooters (especially on the left stick so you can rest the stick at full tilt for movement) and I probably won’t ditch my modded Elite entirely, but getting tension just right for platforming games is nearly impossible (tension as low as possible but still snappy).
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
120hz variable refresh 8K on Zen/Navi?

What level of trickery/interpolating/downsampling do you think they're needing to achieve that?

Silence in the Snow
(13 items)
CPU
Ryzen 1600X
Motherboard
ASRock X370 Taichi
GPU
RTX 2080Ti Black Edition
RAM
G.Skill RipJaws V 16 GB @3466
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 EVO 500GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 3TB
Hard Drive
Seagate FireCuda 2TB
Power Supply
Seasonic SnowSilent
Cooling
EK Coolstream PE 360
Cooling
EK Supremacy EVO
Case
Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
Predator XB271HU
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 02:39 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 214 (Unique: 99)
NAND, OR

#EnthusiastLivesMatter
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 04:21 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 152 (Unique: 89)
I don't think it could have been less than at least 2x as powerful as it's predecessor since we literally have no hardware available with less power at this time.

Sadly it's still going to be nothing more than a laptop with no screen, keyboard, mouse or mobility.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 04:24 AM
Graphics Junkie

Rep: 20 (Unique: 20)
Quote: Originally Posted by prjindigo View Post
I don't think it could have been less than at least 2x as powerful as it's predecessor since we literally have no hardware available with less power at this time.

Sadly it's still going to be nothing more than a laptop with no screen, keyboard, mouse or mobility.
Sure cause there's all those 8 core/16 thread ryzen/navi laptops floating around...

/sarcasm.

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 05:12 AM
Chobro

Rep: 311 (Unique: 238)
Quote: Originally Posted by m4fox90 View Post
120hz variable refresh 8K on Zen/Navi?

What level of trickery/interpolating/downsampling do you think they're needing to achieve that?
The 8k remark was very deceptive. 8k presumably refers to 8k video playback. Another commenter mention 'ssd standard state drive'. I got a nice chuckle out of that one. Anywho, Halo Infinite will be released with this console @ launch, so that will be nice. No price or console prototype actually revealed.

PCMR
(18 items)
CPU
AMD RYZEN 7 1700
Motherboard
ASROCK TAICHI X370
GPU
AMD RADEON VEGA VII
RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200
Hard Drive
WD Red 4TB NAS HDD (x2)
Hard Drive
8TB Seagate Barracuda HDD (x2)
Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 860 EVO SSD 1TB
Hard Drive
WD Blue SSD 2TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1300 G2
Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S (CPU COOLER)
Cooling
Cooler Master JetFlo 120mm Blue LED Fan (X6)
Case
LIAN LI PC-V760B
Operating System
WINDOWS 10 64
Monitor
Dell UltraSharp UP2718Q - LED monitor - 4K - 27"
Keyboard
VORTEX POK3R WHITE EDITION
Mouse
LOGITECH G305 WIRELESS GAMING MOUSE
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598 Cs Headphones
Other
Real Arcade Pro. 4 Kai Joystick modded
▲ hide details ▲
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 06:48 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 335 (Unique: 245)
Quote: Originally Posted by ILoveHighDPI View Post
I’m super glad they mentioned low input latency.
Apparently Xbox One is regularly 30-50ms slower than PS4 with input lag. Any Xbox user who cares about competition needs to upgrade to Scarlett ASAP just for that feature alone.

Speaking of inputs, that Elite 2.0 is a must have. I’ve been ripping the springs out of my analog sticks for the last 20 years because tension is just too high and I can’t use a stock controller for more than a week without getting inflammation in my wrist (it was mostly console gaming in the 90’s that did that to me).
Springless sticks are still the ideal when I’m playing shooters (especially on the left stick so you can rest the stick at full tilt for movement) and I probably won’t ditch my modded Elite entirely, but getting tension just right for platforming games is nearly impossible (tension as low as possible but still snappy).

Where are you getting that info? I am pretty sensitive to latency issues and I notice no such added 30-50ms latency on Xbox One X over playing on my PC on a game with the same 30fps lock.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 11:10 AM
OG AMD

Rep: 579 (Unique: 457)
Funny how the haters are coming out saying 4k is impossible,can't be real, can't do 144Hz..etc. If it was blue or green they would be shouting how superior their hardware is.....anyhow,
This will bring PC gaming gear down in prices.

https://valid.x86.fr/cache/banner/4d8m5e-6.png
AMD Athlon II 450 @4.74GHz http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2204588
AMD MaxxMemm Rankings
960T @ 4.6GHz http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2171450
RedwoodCustomPC
AM4
(4 items)
RCPC#1
(17 items)
Professional
(13 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2200G
Motherboard
ASRock X470 Taichi
GPU
MSI RX570 Armor MKII 8GB
Power Supply
GSKill Ripjaws PS850G
CPU
AMD Phenom II X6 960T
Motherboard
Asus M4A88T-VEVO
GPU
Asus Strix R7 370
RAM
SuperTalent Perfomance
RAM
GSkill Snipers
Hard Drive
Monster Daytona
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7,200 RPM 16Mb cache
Optical Drive
Memorex DVD/RW
Power Supply
Corsair GS500
Cooling
Corsair H60
Case
In Win H-Frame
Operating System
Windows 8N
Monitor
IBM 9494 19" LCD
Keyboard
IBM
Mouse
OCZ Behemoth
Mouse
Wolfking
Audio
JBL Creature
CPU
Phenom II X6 1100t
Motherboard
MSI 890FX GD65
GPU
MSI Radeon HD5670
RAM
GSkill RipjawsX DDR3 PC3 12800 2x4GB CL8
Hard Drive
WD Black 1TB SATA III
Optical Drive
Samsung BD
Power Supply
Kingwin Lazer Platinum 500w
Cooling
Zalman 9900MAX
Case
Fractal Design R3
Operating System
Windows 7 64 Professional
Monitor
AOC 22" LED
Keyboard
Logitech
Other
Samsung 470 SSD 128GB
▲ hide details ▲

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 12:32 PM
Graphics Junkie

Rep: 20 (Unique: 20)
Quote: Originally Posted by Redwoodz View Post
Funny how the haters are coming out saying 4k is impossible,can't be real, can't do 144Hz..etc. If it was blue or green they would be shouting how superior their hardware is.....anyhow,
This will bring PC gaming gear down in prices.
It may have an option to do 120hz or 4k, but it's unlikely it will be doing anything in 4k and 120hz at the same time unless its something very simple.

It's just unlikely any devs would choose to design their games that way. If you can aim for 4K 120hz with lower graphics or 4k 60hz with the best graphics you can get out of the system, devs are gonna do the latter. Hell, they might even keep aiming for 30hz a lot of the time.

120hz capability for consoles is not going to mean 120hz game in 4k. Not even a 2080 Ti can do 120hz 4K in newer games.

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in