[PCGamesN] AMD’s second-gen RDNA GPUs will feature hardware accelerated ray tracing in 2020 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[PCGamesN] AMD’s second-gen RDNA GPUs will feature hardware accelerated ray tracing in 2020

post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter
sudo apt install sl

Rep: 158 (Unique: 114)
Source: https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/ray-tra...dna-2-gpu-2020

Quote:
AMD’s next-gen, 7nm+ RDNA 2 architecture will arrive in graphics cards in 2020, and bring hardware accelerated ray tracing to AMD’s GPUs for the first time. And just in time to feature on the PC platform as well as the new AMD Navi-powered Sony PS5 and Xbox Scarlett consoles… or whatever they end up being called.
Told you AMD would follow nVidia to create dedicated hardware to accelerate BVH.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AMD_Ray_Tracing_Vision_BH-1024x576_1560324458917.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	274054  

Maximus
(20 items)
CPU
Core i9 9900K... CoffeeTime! @ 4.2Ghz w/ 1v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Radeon VII @ 2100Mhz/1250Mhz w/ 1150mV
RAM
G.Skill 16GB 3866Mhz CL15
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector Radeon VII - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Clear Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 12:42 AM
professional curmudgeon

Rep: 775 (Unique: 445)
strictly for the editorial content:
E: ~6:20 mark
belay that try 11:00 mark

ok and i am loving the "laurel and hardy" vibes.

Remember the golden rule of statistics: A personal sample size of one is a sufficient basis upon which to draw universal conclusions.
Upload the computer to Dropbox and provide a link to it so others may download it to examine and give advice for repairs.
loon 3.2
(18 items)
CPU
i7-3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
EVGA 980TI SC+
RAM
16Gb PNY ddr3 1866
Hard Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb
Hard Drive
1 TB Seagate
Hard Drive
3 TB WD Blue
Optical Drive
DVD DVDRW+/-
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
EKWB P280 kit
Cooling
EK-VGA supremacy
Case
Stryker M [hammered and drilled]
Operating System
Win X
Monitor
LG 24MC57HQ-P
Keyboard
Ducky Zero [blues]
Mouse
corsair M65
Audio
SB Recon3D
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by looniam; 06-12-2019 at 12:48 AM.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 12:51 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 10)
What do you think about Full Scene Ray tracing in Cloud?
When Nvidia could make a GPU that can offer 4K Full Scene Ray tracing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 01:19 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 165 (Unique: 104)
Quote: Originally Posted by Hwgeek View Post
A joke. "Cloud" compute for interactive media is pointless... you might as well just stream the entire game.

2nd gen RDNA clearly won't have all the ray tracing acceleration the RTX line had last year. Quake II RTX is already "full scene" ray traced.

CPU
AMD Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard
Asus Prime X470-Pro
GPU
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 XC Ultra
RAM
TeamGroup T-Force 16 GB (2x8) Pro Dark (B-die TDPGD416G3200HC14ADC01)
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Platinum SSR-750PX
Cooling
Corsair H80i (not V2 or GT)
Monitor
LG 34UC80-B
Keyboard
Logitech G413
Mouse
Logitech G503 RGB
Audio
Creative SoundBlaster Z (OEM)
▲ hide details ▲
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 01:57 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 10)
I know that "Quake II RTX is already "full scene" ray traced" but it's 22 year old game that runs ~95FPS on RTX 2080TI at 1080P, so if you jump back to 2019~2020 Games with full scene ray tracing- how fast the new RTX GPU should be to run at 4K? is it even possible with 1 GPU?
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 02:45 AM
Performance is the bible

Rep: 433 (Unique: 299)
Quote: Originally Posted by Hwgeek View Post
When Nvidia could make a GPU that can offer 4K Full Scene Ray tracing?
RT on its own cost a hell of a lot of compute. Nvidia had to resort to hybrid RT for now even with 544 dedicated tensor cores for compute, which are the current bottleneck for RT.
To get decent fps at 4K, they will need twice if not more dedicated cores to do it. Going to 7nm, it will still make the core pretty big. So I don't know if they will be able to pull full RT in 4K without hybrid.
This is why I think AMD won't be able to offer a similar solution, and the reason they hadn't even talked about it now, is because they are still working on their own hybrid solution similar to nvidia, until the compute power arrives.

Full scene RT in cloud will introduce a lot of lag if done in real time remotely. Considering we want 4K/144hz monitors and leverage performance for it, I think it is a nice dream but not very realistic for fast moving games.
Would you like your offline game to force you to be 100% online at a minimum lag as possible in order to really view the game as you like? I think hardware solution is a better solution. Maybe not for consoles, but for PC games, definitely.

Quote: Originally Posted by umeng2002 View Post
A joke. "Cloud" compute for interactive media is pointless... you might as well just stream the entire game.

2nd gen RDNA clearly won't have all the ray tracing acceleration the RTX line had last year. Quake II RTX is already "full scene" ray traced.
Well if you look at AMD, what might benefit them, is their ability to use their cores for both high level compute and graphics. So if they make their next gen have twice the cores, they can turn half the cores into compute cores through their hardware async compute system.
That means they can run at a 2070-ish 4K performance for general purposes and texture rendering, with a high capacity of compute that could match or surface tensor cores for lighting.
This could potentially give them an edge. But, I don't think they will go to such big cores, so they might move to a similar hybrid solution for now, or accept the huge FPS drop from fully supporting the RT API.

Last edited by Defoler; 06-12-2019 at 02:50 AM.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 03:10 AM
Graphics Junkie

Rep: 18 (Unique: 18)
I interpret this as: Limited RTX style RT rendering capable local hardware and full RT that you can't do at home via cloud.

RTX in its current form doesn't even come close to full RT.

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 04:27 AM
The Challenger

Rep: 281 (Unique: 121)
^Exactly... Which is why I will still argue that...

At this point, ray tracing for consoles to me sounds like when Microsoft was talking about the power of the cloud for effects when they were gonna launch the Xbox One. A gimmick.

Why would ray tracing be used if you can get very close with the traditional way of rendering. You get a 50% performance drop from it for at best a 10% visual fidelity increase. It's either that, or AMD found a way to do it significantly faster than nVidia with their next RDNA architecture, in which case your nVidia RTX card will be useless anyway... I do think it's the former though.

As for Quake II, remember that that game has zero modern effects. So obviously it's going to look miles better with ray tracing compared to its vanilla counterpart, because there are no modern rasterization lighting effects to compare it to. The real reference are the games that support RTX, and it's quite obvious that the difference in visual quality does not justify the performance cost.
Maybe, the Scarlett will enable ray tracing only for 1080p 60fps games. So the question then becomes, would you rather play at 4K traditional rendering, or 1080p with ray tracing?
Or, they will be using voxel cone/beam tracing, similar to the Vega 56 demo. Even then, the question remains whether the performance drop is really worth it.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 04:36 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 101 (Unique: 60)
Definitely will be the mix of GPU compute + dedicated hardware cores + x86.

I see no way AMD letting everything be done on GPU. Selling Ryzen in gaming industry is way too good to pass up, Those CPU cores need to get use, otherwise not many gamers will buy CPU beyond 8 cores.

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 04:46 AM
Graphics Junkie

Rep: 18 (Unique: 18)
Quote: Originally Posted by Clocknut View Post
Definitely will be the mix of GPU compute + dedicated hardware cores + x86.

I see no way AMD letting everything be done on GPU. Selling Ryzen in gaming industry is way too good to pass up, Those CPU cores need to get use, otherwise not many gamers will buy CPU beyond 8 cores.
While I definitely agree with the sentiment, I must point that ray tracing is something that a CPU really just cannot do. It would take a lot more cores than what Ryzen is offering. Ray Tracing is a highly parallel task that requires many many simple cores, which is what a GPU is. You would need 200+ CPU cores to even begin to render RT in real time on a CPU.

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in