[TomsHW]AMD Files Patent for Hybrid Ray Tracing Solution - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[TomsHW]AMD Files Patent for Hybrid Ray Tracing Solution

post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 03:21 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 133 (Unique: 84)
Quote: Originally Posted by Defoler View Post
increasing texture is directly related to how big the textures are being rendered, and how complex they are.
And that performance won't make huge leaps any time soon, as the technology is old and while they are trying to improve it with every iteration (more rendering cores, faster cores, and more memory), lighting also makes a big part of the visual aid of a scene, not just textures.
It adds more realism through shadows and reflections that aren't just texture based.
Textures alone doesn't make an environment great.
Aliased textures are way easier to notice than mediocre lighting. “Flat Lighting” is still a common natural lighting condition, you don’t need top of the line lighting to be convincing (this is why I hate SSAO so much, half of the time modern lighting techniques are implemented entirely wrong and break immersion more than fixing anything, and if they’re done right it’s often so subtle I can barely tell if I turn them off. 99% of the time Lighting is the first thing to be set to “Low” when I’m optimizing game settings).
Aliasing on all your textures is a constant and abrupt reminder that the world is fake. Good texturing has always been one of the most impressive aspects of top tier graphics.

As long as your environments are static enough you can bake in any effect people want out of Ray Tracing, that’s why Minecraft is one of the better demonstrations of Ray Tracing, if the environment weren’t so dynamic then there would no practical benefit to using Ray Tracing, and even then they could do a very convincing approximation with older techniques.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 12:48 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote: Originally Posted by bigjdubb View Post
All this effort being spent on ray tracing is sort of frustrating. I don't feel like lighting has been the weak point in game visuals for a while. If all this effort was being put towards making textures amazing to look at and and perform even better then I could understand the reasoning.

It feels like they are trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist.
Easily marketable strawman for the masses. Offering awesome "new technology features" that actually don't enhance the user experience and only warrants a higher price tag.
Pretty soon we'll be buying DX13 graphics cards.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 05:00 AM
curmudgeon

Rep: 305 (Unique: 176)
Quote: Originally Posted by ILoveHighDPI View Post
Aliased textures are way easier to notice than mediocre lighting. “Flat Lighting” is still a common natural lighting condition, you don’t need top of the line lighting to be convincing (this is why I hate SSAO so much, half of the time modern lighting techniques are implemented entirely wrong and break immersion more than fixing anything, and if they’re done right it’s often so subtle I can barely tell if I turn them off. 99% of the time Lighting is the first thing to be set to “Low” when I’m optimizing game settings).
Aliasing on all your textures is a constant and abrupt reminder that the world is fake. Good texturing has always been one of the most impressive aspects of top tier graphics.

As long as your environments are static enough you can bake in any effect people want out of Ray Tracing, that’s why Minecraft is one of the better demonstrations of Ray Tracing, if the environment weren’t so dynamic then there would no practical benefit to using Ray Tracing, and even then they could do a very convincing approximation with older techniques.

Agreed. I notice bad AA in all my games but dunno if I'd even notice ray tracing, especially since I will not be buying it in the forseeable future with prices the way they are.

IOKIYAR
Junkyard Dog
(18 items)
Blackie
(17 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 1700
Motherboard
Biostar X370 GT7
GPU
Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon Vega 64
RAM
G. Skill Ripjaws ddr4 3200 16 GB 4x4
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SSD
Hard Drive
Western Digital 500gb
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 evo 1tb ssd
Optical Drive
Memorex Lightscribe dvd
Power Supply
Seasonic 850 watt
Cooling
Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme
Case
Silverstone Redline RL05
Operating System
Win 10 64bit
Monitor
Pixio 27" 1440P
Keyboard
yes
Mouse
Evoluent vertical mouse
Mouse
yes
Audio
Creative X-FI
Other
Sennheiser headphones HD 599
CPU
AMD FX8370 @ 5 ghz
Motherboard
ASUS Sabertooth
GPU
Sapphire Fury
RAM
G Skill F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL
Hard Drive
Western Digital
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Optical Drive
Memorex Lightscribe dvd
Power Supply
Seasonic SS-850KM Active PFC F3
Cooling
Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme
Case
Silverstone Redline RL02b
Operating System
Win X 64 bit
Monitor
Pixio 27" 1440P
Keyboard
yes
Mouse
Evoluent VM4
Mouse
yes
Audio
Creative Soundblaster Z
Audio
Sennheiser 428 headphones
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 05:36 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 101 (Unique: 60)
So this means Dedicated hardware + GPU shader+CPU x86 (a.k.a software).

I can see not even AMD jumping on this, Intel too. We have excessive x86 performance headroom now thanks to CPU core wars. I will be very surprise Intel/AMD do not take this opportunity to push more x86 usage

Gaming Rig
(10 items)
Work/Web Rig
(12 items)
CPU
i5-2500K @4.1GHz stock volt OC
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V LK
GPU
Zotac GTX 1660Ti AMP
RAM
Corsair Vengence 1600MHz_CL8 4GBx4
Hard Drive
Kingston UV500 480GB SSD
Hard Drive
Maxtor 250GB 7200rpm
Cooling
Xigmatek Dark Knight
Case
Silverstone Ps06
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
BenQ XL2720z @ 1920x1080 144Hz
CPU
Core 2 Quad Q9650
Motherboard
Gigabyte EP41-UD3L
GPU
Asus 1GB Radeon 7790 DirectCU OC
RAM
Corsair Gaming Ram 2GBx2 DDR2-800
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 250GB SSD
Hard Drive
Samsung 80GB 7200rpm
Hard Drive
Western Digital 200GB 7200rpm
Power Supply
FSP Hyper K 600w 80+
Cooling
Cooler Master Hyper TX3
Case
LianLi PS05
Operating System
Windows 10 pro
Monitor
Samsung 226bw 1680x1050
▲ hide details ▲
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 11:12 AM
Not a linux lobbyist

Rep: 43 (Unique: 34)
Quote: Originally Posted by Clocknut View Post
So this means Dedicated hardware + GPU shader+CPU x86 (a.k.a software).

I can see not even AMD jumping on this, Intel too. We have excessive x86 performance headroom now thanks to CPU core wars. I will be very surprise Intel/AMD do not take this opportunity to push more x86 usage
Using cpu cores to do what is too specialized a workload to efficiently be done on general purpose gpu cores would be a tremendous waste and net terrible performance. Would be like using a Threadripper to mine bitcoins. You need a tremendous amount of whatever-ops for raytracing and a cpu is only good for a couple.

L5
(18 items)
Lea2
(11 items)
L7
(11 items)
CPU
5950hq
Motherboard
z97 Classified
GPU
Aorus 1080ti Waterforce
RAM
16 G Gskill Trident @ 2400,cas10,1.575v
RAM
16 G Team Extreme @ 2400,cas10,1.575v
Hard Drive
2xSamsung 840 EVO 250G
Hard Drive
seagate barracuda 3T
Hard Drive
Optane 900p 480G OS
Optical Drive
Asus BW-16D1HT
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova 1300 G2
Cooling
Cooler Master MasterLiquid Pro 120 (cpu)
Cooling
2 140mm case fans, 2 120mm
Case
Fractal Design R4 (no window)
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
panasonic TC-58AX800U
Audio
Focal Elear
Audio
SoundbasterX AE-5
Other
Megatron
CPU
Motherboard
Asus Z87 Deluxe
GPU
Fury Nitro
RAM
8Gb patriot 1600mhz
Hard Drive
ROG Raidr 240Gb pcie
Hard Drive
1Tb WD blue
Power Supply
Pc Power&Cooling silencer Mk2 950w
Cooling
Deepcool Lucifer V2
Case
DIYPC P48-W
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
40"tv
CPU
4980hq
Motherboard
Asus H81T/CSM
RAM
16GB 1600 generic
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 evo 120gb
Power Supply
Skyvast 90w brick for hp pavilion something
Cooling
SilverStone Tek Super Slim
Case
SilverStone Tek PT13B
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
50" samsung plasma 720p
Keyboard
Logitech K400+
Other
Intel wifi ac card and noname antennas
▲ hide details ▲
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 10:05 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 78 (Unique: 63)
I think ray tracing will take some time to mature, both the hardware and software. Maybe 10 years from now you just set the framerate you want, and you get it, with higher framerates having fewer rays traced per frame. Technically this can already be done, just with really poor quality.

post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 11:02 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Generally speaking we will get whatever works best and eventually all the manufacturers will fall in line.

As a case in point, the Intel 64 bit implementation on the current X86-64 Intel processors is basically AMD64 with a few minuscule differences. Intel gave up flogging a dead horse with its own Intel64 implementation when the last Titanium processor was released back in 2017 .
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 11:47 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 319 (Unique: 231)
It was not Intel Titanium but Intel Unobtainium.

I would rather have no AA and tracing, it is very obvious to me when reflections and shadows are faked. Some games are tolerable with the design/style approach they take along with level design but sometimes they try too much to cram in things that are very hard to fake correctly and it ends up looking odd and wrong.

Is a good comparison of what is used now and to be released.

Last edited by JackCY; 07-03-2019 at 11:55 PM.
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 08:50 AM
Gamer

Rep: 67 (Unique: 57)
Quote: Originally Posted by DNMock View Post
So not as good as dedicated Tensor Cores or whatever, but pretty close without having to waste a ton of die space on hardware that's useless 75% of the time.

but I don't really know for sure, too complex for me to understand.
Maybe not as "good" in raw performance in one area, but much better in a butt load of other areas.

swah

post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 02:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
Quote: Originally Posted by Aemonn View Post
The benefit in ray tracing is that you don't need to spend time creating custom shaders to get the exact look you're going for. The end result (after the many years it will take for the entire industry to adapt) would be less time making things look pretty and more time designing fun and engaging games, or coming up with more visually unique titles--since a big chunk of the "make it look pretty" is done already.

At least that's my take on it. We're still like 5 years away from knowing for sure. I totally agree with your frustration. Just trying to find the silver lining and identify long term gains.
For one thing it looks better than anything you'd achieve with traditional shaders, you can also get actual reflections and dynamic lighting that doesn't require excessive effort to setup a scene. That means you can have full destructible environments with lighting that actually adapts to changes in the environment (e.g. blowing a hole in the wall illuminating a room, without it being a scripted event).

Imagine playing a game like counterstrike, having a shootout in a dark enclosed space and by the end of the fight the area is relatively well lit with light streaming in through all the bullet holes on the side facing the sun (or other external light sources).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in