[Corsair] Corsair announces its acquisition of Origin PC - Page 6 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Corsair] Corsair announces its acquisition of Origin PC

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #51 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 04:34 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
SwitchFX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 747
Rep: 14 (Unique: 11)
Quote: Originally Posted by oreonutz View Post
I decided to put my response in a spoiler window because its like 10 pages long, sorry about that...

Spoiler!


I've never had a problem with O&O products. Reputable. It doesn't run in the background either. Which is what I like about it. No installer. I got tired of monitoring WireShark for sketchy software and will spin up a VM with Comodo's software firewall on it, which is really good compared to overlays for the MS one. My reason for getting a MBP was simple. I hadn't had one in a while and the features, apart from the touch bar, were good. I also needed it to run one piece of software a team of devs only make for Mac, but I suspect it may be ported to Windows given that modern coding languages, mostly developed by Apple for cross platform will prevail. Hopefully. I only gave up XP in the fall of 2010. That should give you a rough idea of how much I hold out on. I miss the glass effects from W7 in W10, and Acrylic design language is no substitute.


As for the Corsair case. Yikes, it looks like the 900D was replaced by the 1000D which is no bueno. The 850D is SOL too. However, the 750D full tower high flow edition may fit your usecase and it's cheaper at $170ish on the egg and zon. The window to my knowledge is acrylic, not TG. However, you could check out the Linus video on that because his video is the reason I chose the 900D a lot. He's that squeaky voiced Canadian who looks like he hasn't crossed puberty yet who always drops things. I'm sure you've heard of him. PFSense will probably be my go to choice if I realize Comodo software side becomes a hassle. I do need a good POE switch for other purposes. I was thinking of grabbing a few class 3 or class 4 switches.


Last edited by SwitchFX; 08-07-2019 at 04:38 PM.
SwitchFX is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #52 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 04:32 AM
Tech Enthusiast
 
oreonutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 314
Rep: 16 (Unique: 15)
Quote: Originally Posted by SwitchFX View Post
I've never had a problem with O&O products. Reputable. It doesn't run in the background either. Which is what I like about it. No installer. I got tired of monitoring WireShark for sketchy software and will spin up a VM with Comodo's software firewall on it, which is really good compared to overlays for the MS one. My reason for getting a MBP was simple. I hadn't had one in a while and the features, apart from the touch bar, were good. I also needed it to run one piece of software a team of devs only make for Mac, but I suspect it may be ported to Windows given that modern coding languages, mostly developed by Apple for cross platform will prevail. Hopefully. I only gave up XP in the fall of 2010. That should give you a rough idea of how much I hold out on. I miss the glass effects from W7 in W10, and Acrylic design language is no substitute.


As for the Corsair case. Yikes, it looks like the 900D was replaced by the 1000D which is no bueno. The 850D is SOL too. However, the 750D full tower high flow edition may fit your usecase and it's cheaper at $170ish on the egg and zon. The window to my knowledge is acrylic, not TG. However, you could check out the Linus video on that because his video is the reason I chose the 900D a lot. He's that squeaky voiced Canadian who looks like he hasn't crossed puberty yet who always drops things. I'm sure you've heard of him. PFSense will probably be my go to choice if I realize Comodo software side becomes a hassle. I do need a good POE switch for other purposes. I was thinking of grabbing a few class 3 or class 4 switches.
Another Long One For You, sorry man...
Spoiler!


BTW, I had a chance to really dive into ShutUp10. I LOVE IT! Thank you! So far from what I can tell, it just makes the appropriate Registry settings for you, theres been a few Registry settings it taught me actually. So Yeah, awesome program man, and absolutely no back doors or calling home to the internet at all that I can find. So hell yeah man! Thank You!

-MattTheTech

Offical Ryzen 9 3900x Owner!
DodekaZen3000
(28 items)
CPU
Ryzen 9 3900x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid
RAM
G.SKILL Flare X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 3200Mhz (PC4 25600) - F4-3200C14D-16GFX (x2 Kits)
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850/860 Evo (x3 Raid 0 Game Drive)
Hard Drive
WD Black 4TB (x2 Raid 0 Storage Drive)
Hard Drive
860 Evo
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray Burner (Model BH16NS40)
Optical Drive
5.25" to One 3.5" and One 2.25" Bay (Model Syba SY-MRA55006)
Power Supply
Corsair RM1000i
Cooling
EKWB Phoenix 360mm Modular Cooler
Case
Old Jonesbo Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise
Monitor
Samsung NU8000 55Inch TV (Its a 4k TV But I run in it 1440p 120hz)
Monitor
LG 1080p 34 Inch Diplay
Keyboard
Corsair k70 RGB Lux Mk2
Mouse
Logitech G700s
Mousepad
Razer Vespula V2
Audio
Custom Built 7.1 Surround System
Audio
HT-Omega eClaro 7.1 Sound Card
Audio
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Other
Aquantia 10Gb NIC
Other
LSI 9211-8i
Other
Oculus Rift HMD
Other
10 ML120 + 2 ML140 Corsair Maglev Fans
Other
Phanteks Halo aRGB LUX x5
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by oreonutz; 08-08-2019 at 04:39 AM.
oreonutz is online now  
post #53 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 08:59 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
SwitchFX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 747
Rep: 14 (Unique: 11)
Quote: Originally Posted by oreonutz View Post
Another Long One For You, sorry man...

LOL! You Got me Beat on when you gave up XP. It seems we are INCREDIBLY similar. I remember the exact moment I gave up XP. I had opened my own Studio here in Vegas because I was SICK of the outrageous fee's I was being charged to run a session at the bigger studios, they would take half my engineering rate, which was just rape. So Finally I took out a loan and opened my own studio. I was able to cut corners on PC Costs because instead of going MAC I went PC. I had already been running Pro Tools (The Defacto Digital Audio Editing Suite for the Music Industry, then and now) on Windows for my home studio for years so I was used to the woes, and could always work around them. This was in October of 2007 when I first opened up. I defiantly Ran my studio on XP 64-bit for 2 and a half years!
My experience with DAWs go up until 2013, but yeah, Pro Tools is the defacto standard, however, I've found it's only good for a few genres where it's used for "easier" track assembly. You'd never want to use it for scoring a film, for example. Cubase or similar would be better software, and you'd almost certainly need Komplete for starters. I was never a fan of Windows 7 because it made certain things more difficult to do or find over Windows XP. Even in 2011 I toyed with installing XP as a dual boot because I still wasn't familiar with 7 as I was with XP. I wouldn't touch it now. Windows 10 isn't bad, it just needs refinement. It's why I run a tester on VM and contribute to something I'll eventually have to use.


Quote: Originally Posted by oreonutz View Post
At the time Pro Tools was only a 32-bit program on Windows and I used plugins up the ass that would easily chomp at upwards of 8GB's of Ram on a MAC, so I figured out a way to Edit the Binary Code (And I am NOT A PROGRAMMER, This Took me almost 3 full days of research and trial and error to get to work) to get Pro Tools to properly address more than 4GB of Ram. Once I finally had this working, I was the ONLY studio in town who Ran a PC, and still be able to easily handle a 128 Track session. The problem was, it wasn't exactly stable. I remember it was April of 2010, and I had finally landed a contract with Universal that I had been fighting for for over a year. I had worked for Universal, Sony, Columbia, and a few other Major record labels in the past, but it was always some other studio or partner who made the deal and took a cut, this was finally my first contract that I landed on my own, and my chance to make or break my name in the industry as a not just an Engineer, but a Studio. Once you get your name on the list as a Studio that the big 5 (at the time) will work with, then it becomes incredibly easy to land contracts, and being that I was located literally 2 minutes from the Strip in Las Vegas, I would basically become the number 2 spot in town to go to next to the Palms, and that was major for me...
Nice. What's a bit worrisome about major labels is they literally own everything on the face of the planet. EMI was huge. Now Sony owns their assets. EMI Europe bought up everything outside the UK to Russia, for example.


Quote: Originally Posted by oreonutz View Post
The PC was one of the biggest points of Contention, but my work spoke for itself and I refused to make the switch back to Mac, and eventually they signed on anyway. Then in my FIRST session the artist had this Plugin he INSISTED on using, so I installed it, we were about 2 hours into creating a new track, and all the sudden Pro Tools crashes and my DAC Got stuck in this F**KED up Loop of Screeching and Scratching, and we had been vybing up until this point, so the Volume was cranked, one of the Exec's was in the back on the Couch with the Headphones on too, it was just bad. To top it off Pro Tools wouldn't open after that. Normally this wasn't a big deal, I was smart, I had 3 Boot up SSD's in the system that automatically would Clone themselves each night, so I always had a good drive ready to boot to, but the EXEC just got up and walked out, the artist was afraid I had lost our work and wouldn't shut up long enough to let me show him it was fine, and everyone left, it was bad.
Ever since Jobs died or even before then really, the computer portion of Mac suffered. Today and even 9 years ago, there was enough parity between major vendors allowing people to try PCs if they were willing. 15 years ago you could say OSX was stable than Windows, but the reality is I had enough issues with High Sierra whereas I maybe bluescreened twice in 9 years with Windows 7 and that was due to me dicking around with a custom driver. If you check out some of the none bum kissing Apple sites, you'll find yourself amazed at just how bad Apple's computer hardware is in terms of reliability. Let alone the software bugs. People are claiming the Pro is expensive because of the parts. No, it isn't. The base processor MSRPs at under a grand, and even Apple isn't paying the OEM 1M (thousand) tray price per unit (individual CPU). It's a rip off more than it used to be.


Quote: Originally Posted by oreonutz View Post
That night I did a bunch of research and found out this particular plugin wreaked havoc on XP, but for some reason worked great in Windows 7. That and Pro Tools had an update for Windows 7 that didn't run properly on XP, and they finally made the jump to 64-Bit. So that Night I took one of My SSD's and upgraded to Windows 7. I stayed up all night Mixing what we had worked on so far and made it sound amazing, I remember working on it until the Sun was coming up. I sent out an email directly to Lead Exec in charge of the division of Universal I was working with, completely going above the Exec they sent out to oversee these sessions, and he loved it so much that he forced everyone to come back and resume work the next day. I ended up winning that artist back over, and saved my reputation in the process.
Funny you say this. Not meaning to offend, but I'm often amazed at how big companies rely on very small teams of external companies to do something for them. Whether it's you or Microsoft spending a fortune for their website on a small Oregon digital agency years ago, or a small company like Rebel Mouse delivering a SaaS product for major companies to run on. Times sure have changed.
Quote: Originally Posted by oreonutz View Post
Windows 7 remained my OS of Choice until I FINALLY took my Windows 7 boot drive out of my computer to force myself to become much more familiar with Windows 10. This was in 2017 when my Microsoft Rep first told me that they would be officially ending support for Windows 7. So yeah, anyways, sorry for the long story, but trust me I feel you man, I am the same way. I like what I like, and it takes a lot to pull me from it. But at the same time, when I do try something new, If I like it, I will adopt it and stick with it until its proven that something is better, or I will get a benefit so major from it that it out weigh's my preference.

Anyways, I will shut up now.

BTW, I had a chance to really dive into ShutUp10. I LOVE IT! Thank you! So far from what I can tell, it just makes the appropriate Registry settings for you, theres been a few Registry settings it taught me actually. So Yeah, awesome program man, and absolutely no back doors or calling home to the internet at all that I can find. So hell yeah man! Thank You!
Yeah, I can't imagine Windows 7 being vulnerable because they'd issue an emergency hotfix similar to the one they did for XP because of that ransomeware crap which now targets OSX, too. PfSense makes sense, but I liked the Comodo firewall because it was lightweight and it locked down the registry and root file system of Windows. If you look on YouTube or if you read the WilderSecurity forums, you'll find people testing the firewall against old and modern ransomeware on their personal computers. It doesn't run. Prior to using that, I was using group policies on our computers at home to protect us because it's what I saw our hired IT doing and asked for a permissions export I could use at home, too. Later on corporate/business endpoint security software brought that feature on. Little personal use software has such a feature.


Glad you liked it. Not many know about it. I found it while digging the internet. What's great is you can go ahead and revert everything to stock, restart, and upgrade. Though honestly I personally prefer doing a clean install when it comes to major Windows versions even if it's bi-yearly, and stay a version or two behind. The 1903 update supposedly brings the ability to delay, at the Pro and above levels, to delay a major update to 18 months. If one releases in October, you can get it 18 months thereafter, and I believe there's some Windows trickery sans external software to push that to 22 months.

SwitchFX is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off