[Various] Ice Lake Preview - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Various] Ice Lake Preview

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 10:14 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Pro3ootector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Poland / Deutschland
Posts: 1,077
Rep: 48 (Unique: 29)
LPDDR4x on Ice Lake gives it nice bost in performance/efficency, wonder how this translates to better iGPU perf. On gaming side of things it looses to Geforce MX150 by a decent amount ( GPU that dates to mid 2017 ) and performance is not consistent. It's not for gaming. Even MX150 can't handle some modern games on lowest settings.

Last edited by Pro3ootector; 08-02-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Pro3ootector is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 01:21 PM
Debian Dude
 
Particle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Soviet Kansastan
Posts: 2,146
Rep: 165 (Unique: 117)
Quote: Originally Posted by ilmazzo View Post
So a 3700x on max boost all cores just requires 56W? (nevermind that we are talking of tdp and not electrical power consumption)

Don't think so but if any video will prove it....
You're mathing wrong by assuming the processor consists of literally nothing but the 8 cores. I was taking most of the uncore out of the picture.

Particle is offline  
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 11:28 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Liranan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Soviet China... Oh wait..
Posts: 8,602
Rep: 607 (Unique: 292)
Quote: Originally Posted by TK421 View Post
4.9ghz at 15w is complete bs
4.9GHz boost clock for a single core for a few seconds only. So, it is entirely possible.

Of course the chip will throttle hard after a few seconds and even harder when you fully load it. That's the annoying thing with a some benchmarks, they're only a few seconds long so the full throttling of the chips is never measured.

AMD, on the other hand, measure TDP and boost clocks differently, which is why their chips can boost longer and higher than Intel, which is why these chips don't interest me at all.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by faraz1729 go_quote.gif
Haha, Liranan, you creep.

Tacitus - The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money. - Cree Indian Proverb
Liranan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 01:33 AM
Audiofool
 
CJRhoades's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lafayette, IN
Posts: 3,485
Rep: 127 (Unique: 108)
This preview is interesting but I don't think its really representative of what we're going to see in real products. These chips aren't going to be put in thick chunky notebooks with fans running 100% all the time and I really doubt OEMs are going to actually use 3733MHz memory except maybe in a handful of ultra premium products. They'll probably just match performance or barely outperform existing Whiskey Lake parts when in a thermally constrained environment paired with more reasonable 2400 or 2666MHz memory.

I'm also thinking the big graphics performance uplift has more to do with the super fast memory and less with the more than doubling of execution units as onboard graphics have always been more memory bandwidth limited than anything. Vega 8 and Vega 10 graphics perform practically identically in Ryzen mobile parts because they're both generally paired with the same slow memory. It'll be interesting if the Zen 2 mobile parts get support for much faster memory like Ice Lake.

Component History:
Athlon 950 Thunderbird > Athlon 64 LE-1620 > Athlon x2 4850e > Phenom II x3 720BE > Core i5-2500K > Ryzen 7 1700
GeForce2 MX400 > Radeon HD 4650 > Radeon HD 5770 > Radeon HD 6850 > Radeon HD 6950 > Radeon R9 290 > GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
Current Devices:
Ryzen Workstation - 13" Macbook Pro - iPhone X - Galaxy Note 5 - Fire HD 7
Audio:
Kef Q100 Mains - Micca MB42X Surrounds - Outlaw Audio Ultra-X12 Subwoofer - Yamaha RX-V675 AVR - Fidelio X2 Headphones



Last edited by CJRhoades; 08-03-2019 at 01:39 AM.
CJRhoades is offline  
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 04:16 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Liranan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Soviet China... Oh wait..
Posts: 8,602
Rep: 607 (Unique: 292)
Quote: Originally Posted by CJRhoades View Post
This preview is interesting but I don't think its really representative of what we're going to see in real products. These chips aren't going to be put in thick chunky notebooks with fans running 100% all the time and I really doubt OEMs are going to actually use 3733MHz memory except maybe in a handful of ultra premium products. They'll probably just match performance or barely outperform existing Whiskey Lake parts when in a thermally constrained environment paired with more reasonable 2400 or 2666MHz memory.

I'm also thinking the big graphics performance uplift has more to do with the super fast memory and less with the more than doubling of execution units as onboard graphics have always been more memory bandwidth limited than anything. Vega 8 and Vega 10 graphics perform practically identically in Ryzen mobile parts because they're both generally paired with the same slow memory. It'll be interesting if the Zen 2 mobile parts get support for much faster memory like Ice Lake.
Anand clearly stated that these are demo units so these benchmarks are not indicative of actual, real world, performance. As you said, these APU's will be paired with cheap (single channel) RAM, in thermally constrained laptops to save costs.

This is why someo of the comments in the Anand review state that it's just advertisement, not an actual product review.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by faraz1729 go_quote.gif
Haha, Liranan, you creep.

Tacitus - The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money. - Cree Indian Proverb
Liranan is offline  
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 09:14 AM
Waiting for 7nm EUV
 
tpi2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,259
Rep: 890 (Unique: 501)
It's stated right there in the article title, this is a Preview. And considering that AnandTech is part of the ever smaller specialized written tech media, this should be taken for what it is, for the target audience that it has, which understands (or should understand) the expressly stated limitations of such previews.

The proof as always will be in the pudding. Let's see how many Ice Lake CPUs they can actually produce with 10nm vs how many 14nm Comet Lake systems OEMs put on the market and how they perform and in what price / performance categories they will slot into. But of course Intel has an interest in allowing this preview, that much is also clear and Ian also pointed out the historical examples where Intel did similar events, namely with Conroe - where they wanted to resurface in the performance segment after the Pentium 4 / Pentium D era and with Broadwell - where they wanted to prove that 14nm worked, after the delay. In this case Intel wants to prove that this is not Cannon Lake and that 10nm is finally a thing after years of delays, although similarly to Broadwell, it will be a mobile centred release for many months.

Is your CPU bottlenecking your GPU ? Find out: CPU and GPU usage along with FPS in-game
Read my reviews here.
Clubs (founder): The rare / unusual CPU club
Clubs (member): Corsair Professional HX / AX Series PSU Owners Club || The Official Cooler Master HAF X/932/922/912(+) Club
CPU
Core i7-3820
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth X79
GPU
MSI GTX 1060 6 GB Gaming X
RAM
16 GB Corsair DDR3 1866 Mhz Dominator
Hard Drive
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + WD Caviar Black 2TB
Optical Drive
Sony Optiarc DVD-RW
Power Supply
Corsair AX750 Professional Modular 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Corsair A70 + Noiseblocker M12-P
Case
Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Monitor
BenQ RL2455HM
Keyboard
Cooler Master Octane
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane
▲ hide details ▲



Last edited by tpi2007; 08-03-2019 at 09:19 AM.
tpi2007 is offline  
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 09:07 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Hwgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 570
Rep: 14 (Unique: 12)
Where is the performance per Watt with the 10nm vs 14nm? if Intel calculates TDP based on the Base frequency- then why the new 10nm parts have much lower base frequency?

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us...-4-10-ghz.html
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us...-3-60-ghz.html

even with the lower G1 igpu, the base clock @15W TDP is just 1Ghz vs 1.6Ghz on Whiskey Lake, maybe the 10nm is worse then we thought?
Sunny cove and new iGPU looks great, but the 10nm processes looks worse the the 14nm, nothing close to tsmc's double the performance in same power with 7nm vs previous processes.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us.../ice-lake.html

700Mhz i5 CPU, fills more like 1999 then 2019 :-(.

Last edited by Hwgeek; 08-04-2019 at 09:39 AM.
Hwgeek is offline  
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 05:45 PM
Waiting for 7nm EUV
 
tpi2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,259
Rep: 890 (Unique: 501)
Quote: Originally Posted by Hwgeek View Post
Where is the performance per Watt with the 10nm vs 14nm? if Intel calculates TDP based on the Base frequency- then why the new 10nm parts have much lower base frequency?

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us...-4-10-ghz.html
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us...-3-60-ghz.html

even with the lower G1 igpu, the base clock @15W TDP is just 1Ghz vs 1.6Ghz on Whiskey Lake, maybe the 10nm is worse then we thought?
Sunny cove and new iGPU looks great, but the 10nm processes looks worse the the 14nm, nothing close to tsmc's double the performance in same power with 7nm vs previous processes.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us.../ice-lake.html

700Mhz i5 CPU, fills more like 1999 then 2019 :-(.

Probably.

We know from Intel slides that 10nm+, which is what is being used for Ice Lake, has worse performance than 14nm++:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2-Mark-Bohr-2017-Moores-Law-page-035.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	465.7 KB
ID:	286130

Is your CPU bottlenecking your GPU ? Find out: CPU and GPU usage along with FPS in-game
Read my reviews here.
Clubs (founder): The rare / unusual CPU club
Clubs (member): Corsair Professional HX / AX Series PSU Owners Club || The Official Cooler Master HAF X/932/922/912(+) Club
CPU
Core i7-3820
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth X79
GPU
MSI GTX 1060 6 GB Gaming X
RAM
16 GB Corsair DDR3 1866 Mhz Dominator
Hard Drive
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + WD Caviar Black 2TB
Optical Drive
Sony Optiarc DVD-RW
Power Supply
Corsair AX750 Professional Modular 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Corsair A70 + Noiseblocker M12-P
Case
Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Monitor
BenQ RL2455HM
Keyboard
Cooler Master Octane
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane
▲ hide details ▲


tpi2007 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off