[Pana-Sony] Dual layer IPS combat Oled deep blacks - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Pana-Sony] Dual layer IPS combat Oled deep blacks

post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 21 (Unique: 19)
48 on desk is going to give headache. I would know.
Seriously need oem to do a nice 40" 16:9 screen, max you want on your desk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 21 (Unique: 19)
Quote: Originally Posted by EniGma1987 View Post
The point is you dont need thousands of zones with dual LCD layers. The second layer is basically like a masking layer that each pixel becomes a lighting zone. If they use a 4k main panel and 1080p back panel, then you have 2 million zones. If they use dual 4k panels you have over 8 million zones. It effectively becomes like an OLED panel, where each pixel is specifically lit. Only instead of like OLED where the individual pixel provides the light, this tech is working the opposite way where you start with light, and you are darkening each individual pixel. The second panel is also not just transparent/opaque, but a greyscale panel so that specific amounts of brightness can be let through on each pixel which greatly extends the contrast ratio and allows much higher levels of greyscale detail within the image.
Seems easy AF, now where are my dual layer lcd monitors?
1440p will do fine for a cheap start.
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 02:39 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 22 (Unique: 16)
Quote: Originally Posted by GHADthc View Post
Been waiting for this to catch on since Panasonic invented this in 2015...still no commercial applications other than Professional reference monitors and Industrial monitors/screens.

My dream monitor would be dual layer, Nano-IPS, microLED back-lighting with proper HDR, Freesync 2, ELMB, 144+hz 4K, and probably 40" non-curved...one can dream...

Edit: Actually my DREAM monitor would be SED/FED, but I cannot see that tech coming back from the dead any time soon.
I've read FED had erosion problems of their carbon nanotubes that couldn't be overcome. SED's sound interesting but I wonder how well they could handle quick changes in brightness/saturation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 04:44 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 111 (Unique: 69)
Quote: Originally Posted by 8051 View Post
I've read FED had erosion problems of their carbon nanotubes that couldn't be overcome. SED's sound interesting but I wonder how well they could handle quick changes in brightness/saturation?
SED is basically functionally equivalent to a CRT. So response time would be extremely fast depending on the phosphors used. However SED will never see the light of day - it got buried in tons of patent nonsense.
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 08:30 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 78 (Unique: 66)
Quote: Originally Posted by dansi View Post
48 on desk is going to give headache. I would know.
Seriously need oem to do a nice 40" 16:9 screen, max you want on your desk.
I agree, but I like OLED and it will probably be a lot cheaper than a dual layer IPS panel (enough that I could probably get a backup for when that sweet, sweet burn in happens [being sort of sarcastic, have had a C6P for a few years now, no real issues to report; but I baby it]).

Honestly, if you took the Philips 4K 43" TV, add 120hz and get rid of the weird dithering/crosshatching/whatever the "artifacting" is called; that would be a pretty solid choice. FALD makes me weary since I hate DSE and edge-lit seems to have better uniformity. This would be a great stop-gap until uLED/dual-layer screens are out and reasonably priced.

Last edited by Jedi Mind Trick; 08-09-2019 at 08:33 AM.
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 10:37 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
Quote: Originally Posted by Jedi Mind Trick View Post
You are right, I derped! 16ms input pretty solid.

Hopefully they can lower the response times a bit as well, which is one of the best parts of OLED (which, I honestly never see talked about; the X27 Predator is at ~10ms, while the OLEDs are sub-3ms).
You got a 27 inch OLED w/DP and GSYNC? Because I'm not putting a 55+ television on my desk inches from my face, and I tire of getting told to do so.

Silence in the Snow
(13 items)
CPU
Ryzen 1600X
Motherboard
ASRock X370 Taichi
GPU
RTX 2080Ti Black Edition
RAM
G.Skill RipJaws V 16 GB @3466
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 EVO 500GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 3TB
Hard Drive
Seagate FireCuda 2TB
Power Supply
Seasonic SnowSilent
Cooling
EK Coolstream PE 360
Cooling
EK Supremacy EVO
Case
Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
Predator XB271HU
▲ hide details ▲
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 11:19 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 78 (Unique: 66)
Quote: Originally Posted by m4fox90 View Post
You got a 27 inch OLED w/DP and GSYNC? Because I'm not putting a 55+ television on my desk inches from my face, and I tire of getting told to do so.
Did I tell you to do so?

My point had little to do with size and more to do with getting shorter response times.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in