[TechSpot] Navi vs. Turing: An Architecture Comparison - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[TechSpot] Navi vs. Turing: An Architecture Comparison

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #21 of 109 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 08:05 AM
Vandelay Industries
 
maltamonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: US/UK
Posts: 1,436
Rep: 78 (Unique: 59)
Quote: Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post
It's a decent article when it comes to laying out the specs, but it makes a cop-out at the end and switches from comparing archs to comparing products.
Ahhh somebody gets it.
maltamonk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 109 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
sudo apt install sl
 
WannaBeOCer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,154
Rep: 168 (Unique: 120)
Quote: Originally Posted by maltamonk View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post
It's a decent article when it comes to laying out the specs, but it makes a cop-out at the end and switches from comparing archs to comparing products.
Ahhh somebody gets it.
Price of the products were already discussed in the product review. Some of us want to see the performance difference of similar spec'ed hardware. Just like comparing a 9900K against either the 3800x or 3700x. I still want to see a clock vs clock comparison but we can't because AMD's terrible boost.

Quote:
Comparing Like-for-Like

This article is an observation of architectural design, features and functionality, but having a direct performance comparison would be a good way to round up such an analysis. However, matching the Navi chip in a Radeon RX 5700 XT against the Turing TU102 processor in a GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, for example, would be distinctly unfair, given that the latter has almost twice the number of unified shader units as the former. However, there is a version of the Turing chip that can be used for a comparison and that's the one in the GeForce RTX 2070 Super.

Silent
(20 items)
CPU
Core i9 9900K... CoffeeTime! @ 4.2Ghz w/ 1v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Radeon VII @ 1900Mhz/1250Mhz w/ 1v
RAM
TeamGroup Xtreem 16GB 3866Mhz CL15
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector Radeon VII - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Clear Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲
WannaBeOCer is online now  
post #23 of 109 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 08:34 AM
Vandelay Industries
 
maltamonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: US/UK
Posts: 1,436
Rep: 78 (Unique: 59)
Quote: Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
Price of the products were already discussed in the product review. Some of us want to see the performance difference of similar spec'ed hardware. Just like comparing a 9900K against either the 3800x or 3700x. I still want to see a clock vs clock comparison but we can't because AMD's terrible boost.
The product comparison had already been made as well. So there's that.
maltamonk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 109 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
sudo apt install sl
 
WannaBeOCer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,154
Rep: 168 (Unique: 120)
Quote: Originally Posted by maltamonk View Post
The product comparison had already been made as well. So there's that.
The article still explains similarities and differences between the two architectures. If you don't like the conclusion comment on their article and inform them. They can only get better with criticism.

Silent
(20 items)
CPU
Core i9 9900K... CoffeeTime! @ 4.2Ghz w/ 1v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Radeon VII @ 1900Mhz/1250Mhz w/ 1v
RAM
TeamGroup Xtreem 16GB 3866Mhz CL15
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector Radeon VII - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Clear Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲
WannaBeOCer is online now  
post #25 of 109 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 08:46 AM
Vandelay Industries
 
maltamonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: US/UK
Posts: 1,436
Rep: 78 (Unique: 59)
Quote: Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
The article still explains similarities and differences between the two architectures. If you don't like the conclusion comment on their article and inform them. They can only get better with criticism.
All they had to do was include price in the chart of the 2 products and boom........bias is gone.
maltamonk is offline  
post #26 of 109 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
sudo apt install sl
 
WannaBeOCer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,154
Rep: 168 (Unique: 120)
Quote: Originally Posted by maltamonk View Post
All they had to do was include price in the chart of the 2 products and boom........bias is gone.
I do not agree that the price of the cards should be in this article just like every other in-depth review I've ever read.

They should of left out performance numbers unless they could perform them at the exact same clock speed.

Silent
(20 items)
CPU
Core i9 9900K... CoffeeTime! @ 4.2Ghz w/ 1v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Radeon VII @ 1900Mhz/1250Mhz w/ 1v
RAM
TeamGroup Xtreem 16GB 3866Mhz CL15
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector Radeon VII - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Clear Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲
WannaBeOCer is online now  
post #27 of 109 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 08:58 AM
Vandelay Industries
 
maltamonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: US/UK
Posts: 1,436
Rep: 78 (Unique: 59)
Quote: Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
I do not agree that the price of the cards should be in this article just like every other in-depth review I've ever read.

They should of left out performance numbers unless they could perform them at the exact same clock speed.
Fair enough. We can agree to disagree on the price bit. Imo they could have left it out if it were the same, but only then.

I agree about the performance numbers.
maltamonk is offline  
post #28 of 109 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 09:03 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Imouto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,910
Rep: 215 (Unique: 100)
But can we take the 2% difference in performance the article is stating seriously? Because I've been constantly reading post saying that the RTX 2070S is better and this article is saying they're pretty much the same but the RTX 2070S is 25% more expensive.

$100 to enable PhysX is a bit pricey when the performance tanks that much and it will available for half a dozen games until it goes EOL.

#EnthusiastLivesMatter
Imouto is offline  
post #29 of 109 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 09:08 AM
Performance is the bible
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,735
Rep: 436 (Unique: 300)
Quote: Originally Posted by guttheslayer View Post
They are trying to compare architecture vs architecture, nothing to do with 12nm vs 7nm
It does have to do with 12nm vs 7nm.
If tuning was in 7nm it could possible be clocked higher and take less power. So as architecture wise, it could be much superior if you would test them in similar conditions and manufacturing process.
Considering 12nm chip with a year old architecture match a brand new architecture running at 7nm, it just means that AMD are a generation behind.


Defoler is offline  
post #30 of 109 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 09:32 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
guttheslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 3,659
Rep: 109 (Unique: 64)
Quote: Originally Posted by Defoler View Post
It does have to do with 12nm vs 7nm.
If tuning was in 7nm it could possible be clocked higher and take less power. So as architecture wise, it could be much superior if you would test them in similar conditions and manufacturing process.
Considering 12nm chip with a year old architecture match a brand new architecture running at 7nm, it just means that AMD are a generation behind.
I believe power is not used in this benchmark.

Clock boost however is relevant, as 7nm might allow Turing to boost higher clock and hence better performance. You are right in the sense Turing is superior in same node as compared to RDNA. But not by much.


Porting to 7nm might only net 10-20% increase in speed (we didnt see a big clock boost from Vega to RX 5700 XT), so AMD isnt really that far behind, considering their Vega 64 with 4096 SP couldnt even compete with GTX 1080 in the past, this is really quite a big jump.

guttheslayer is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off