[The Register] AMD agrees to cough up $35-a-chip payout over eight-core Bulldozer advertising fiasco - Page 16 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[The Register] AMD agrees to cough up $35-a-chip payout over eight-core Bulldozer advertising fiasco

post #151 of 166 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 12:27 AM
mfw

Rep: 382 (Unique: 200)
Quote: Originally Posted by Redwoodz View Post
I didn't say anything about actual performance. As an early adopter to push multi-threaded development....you know like RTX is now?
Bulldozer brought 8C/8T to a very specific price bracket. That's the absolute extent of the progress you can attribute to the 8350. This, though, has no bearing on the performance deficit - that is the result of a pretty crap architecture.

RTX brought raytracing to games in real time in such a manner whereby it's easier for developers to implement it and start dipping their toes and get acquainted with this new paradigm. The performance deficit here is typical growing pains of demanding technology - very unlike the inadequacy of Bulldozer.

This kind of comment is pretty surprising to me when we consider everything that's happened. Even when AMD had nothing else to fight Intel with, we all sort of kind of collectively agreed that Bulldozer was very underwhelming. Now that AMD has actually surpassed and pressured the competition with Ryzen, you're bringing up how "game changing" the 8350 was? Really?!

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (B pads)
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by ToTheSun!; 09-11-2019 at 12:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 166 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 03:41 AM
Waiting for 7nm EUV

Rep: 894 (Unique: 503)
Quote: Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
You're skipping over the 5960x that was released in 2014 that the 2017 chip still competed with.

Well, yes, and the 6950X, but neither moved things forward too much in terms of pricing (especially the 6950X, which allowed the 6900K to remain at the $1k price point)). At least with the Intel hexacores you had a ~$500 option since the beginning (with the Intel i7-970), and you only got an eight core CPU from Intel for that much after AMD introduced Ryzen. But yes, technically you're right.

Is your CPU bottlenecking your GPU ? Find out: CPU and GPU usage along with FPS in-game
Read my reviews here.
Clubs (founder): The rare / unusual CPU club
Clubs (member): Corsair Professional HX / AX Series PSU Owners Club || The Official Cooler Master HAF X/932/922/912(+) Club
CPU
Core i7-3820
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth X79
GPU
MSI GTX 1060 6 GB Gaming X
RAM
16 GB Corsair DDR3 1866 Mhz Dominator
Hard Drive
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + WD Caviar Black 2TB
Optical Drive
Sony Optiarc DVD-RW
Power Supply
Corsair AX750 Professional Modular 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Corsair A70 + Noiseblocker M12-P
Case
Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Monitor
BenQ RL2455HM
Keyboard
Cooler Master Octane
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane
▲ hide details ▲

post #153 of 166 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 03:57 AM
boof

Quote: Originally Posted by Redwoodz View Post
I didn't say anything about actual performance. As an early adopter to push multi-threaded development....you know like RTX is now?

Yup, that's why Intel had 6/8 core "prosumer" CPUs and on the market a year before the FX series was even announced and 8 core Xeons a year earlier

Xeon and Opteron pushed multi-threaded development, not the FX series.

The only gaming changing CPU from AMD released in the last 10 years is the Ryzen series.

Quote:Originally Posted by TheBadBull https://www.overclock.net/img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm a level 5 vegan. I don't eat anything that casts a shadow.

It's also why I eat my bacon in the dark ????????????????
Computer of Theseus
(16 items)
RIP Athlon '01-'11
(10 items)
PC MK1
(6 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen R5 1600
Motherboard
Asus PRIME B350 PLUS
GPU
EVGA RTX 2070 8GB
RAM
16GB Corsair Vengence (2x8GB)
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Evo 500GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova 650 G2
Case
Fractal Design Meshify C White
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG 32LD450
Monitor
Dell
Monitor
Valve Index Headset
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Midnight MX Blue
Mouse
Steelseries Rival 310
Other
Valve Index Base Station
Other
Logitech G29
CPU
AMD Phenom II X4 955BE
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair V
GPU
nVidia GTX 550Ti
RAM
12GB DDR3
Hard Drive
500GB WD Blue
Cooling
Coolermaster Evo
Operating System
Windows 7 Pro
Operating System
Windows 8 Pro
Operating System
Windows 8.1 Pro
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
CPU
AMD Athlon 1300 1.3Ghz
Motherboard
Asrock
GPU
nVidia 7200GS
RAM
1GB
Hard Drive
80GB IDE
Operating System
Windows XP
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 166 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 06:28 AM
Hey I get one of these!

Rep: 306 (Unique: 216)
Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
Bulldozer brought 8C/8T to a very specific price bracket. That's the absolute extent of the progress you can attribute to the 8350. This, though, has no bearing on the performance deficit - that is the result of a pretty crap architecture.

RTX brought raytracing to games in real time in such a manner whereby it's easier for developers to implement it and start dipping their toes and get acquainted with this new paradigm. The performance deficit here is typical growing pains of demanding technology - very unlike the inadequacy of Bulldozer.

This kind of comment is pretty surprising to me when we consider everything that's happened. Even when AMD had nothing else to fight Intel with, we all sort of kind of collectively agreed that Bulldozer was very underwhelming. Now that AMD has actually surpassed and pressured the competition with Ryzen, you're bringing up how "game changing" the 8350 was? Really?!
Broke a few frequency world records as well if I recall correctly.

RTX brought an massively inadequate "solution" that once again is locked behind a proprietary blackbox so that no one else could see it making all that dev time useless, and is in fact actively harmful to industry progress (like most of nVidia's "solutions"), going forward. Don't praise it as if it is somehow better for us than Bulldozer was.

Quote: Originally Posted by andrews2547 View Post
Yup, that's why Intel had 6/8 core "prosumer" CPUs and on the market a year before the FX series was even announced and 8 core Xeons a year earlier

Xeon and Opteron pushed multi-threaded development, not the FX series.

The only gaming changing CPU from AMD released in the last 10 years is the Ryzen series.
I would argue that Kabini should be on that list for providing a <$50 chip that can game at all without a GPU, as well as being an SoC landmark. This was in 2013, and Intel had not figured out how to make an iGPU that could even get colors correct yet.

It was also what won AMD's contracts with XBox and PS4, and should allow near perfect backwards compatibility with the next generation for the first time in a long time, excluding GC/Wii which was nearly the same hardware anyway.

Also where are you finding this magical prosumer (HEDT) 8-core chip before the 5960X in 2014 again? Bulldozer was 2011. Xeons has 10-cores all the way back to Westmere, but X79 sure didn't.

Forge
(18 items)
Forge-LT
(7 items)
CPU
AMD Threadripper 1950X
Motherboard
Gigabyte X399 Designare
GPU
EVGA 1080ti SC2 Hybrid
GPU
EVGA 1080ti SC2 Hybrid
RAM
32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB (4x8GB 3200Mhz 14-14-14)
Hard Drive
Intel 900P 480GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB
Power Supply
Corsair AX1200
Cooling
EK Predator 240
Case
Corsair Graphite 780T
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise x64
Monitor
2x Acer XR341CK
Keyboard
Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB
Mouse
Corsair Vengeance M65 RGB
Audio
Sennheiser HD700
Audio
Sound Blaster AE-5
Audio
Audio Technica AT4040
Audio
30ART Mic Tube Amp
CPU
i7-4720HQ
Motherboard
UX501JW-UB71T
GPU
GTX 960m
RAM
16GB 1600 9-9-9-27
Hard Drive
512GB PCI-e SSD
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
4k IPS
▲ hide details ▲
post #155 of 166 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 08:00 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 463 (Unique: 263)
Quote: Originally Posted by KyadCK View Post
Broke a few frequency world records as well if I recall correctly.

RTX brought an massively inadequate "solution" that once again is locked behind a proprietary blackbox so that no one else could see it making all that dev time useless, and is in fact actively harmful to industry progress (like most of nVidia's "solutions"), going forward. Don't praise it as if it is somehow better for us than Bulldozer was.

I would argue that Kabini should be on that list for providing a <$50 chip that can game at all without a GPU, as well as being an SoC landmark. This was in 2013, and Intel had not figured out how to make an iGPU that could even get colors correct yet.

It was also what won AMD's contracts with XBox and PS4, and should allow near perfect backwards compatibility with the next generation for the first time in a long time, excluding GC/Wii which was nearly the same hardware anyway.

Also where are you finding this magical prosumer (HEDT) 8-core chip before the 5960X in 2014 again? Bulldozer was 2011. Xeons has 10-cores all the way back to Westmere, but X79 sure didn't.
Also held nearly all the top ram frequency records from not long after bulldozer came out until at least when Haswell was introduced (4 years?).
post #156 of 166 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 11:00 AM
professional curmudgeon

Rep: 791 (Unique: 451)
old mcdonald had a bulldozer
E-I-E-I-O
with a niche niche here and a niche niche there
here a niche, there a niche, everywhere a niche niche
old mcdonald had a bulldozer
E-I-E-I-O

E:
changed wording to be a little less aggressive. but while i'm at it, at the end of the day, both parties are agreeing that the price was more inline with what a $185-$210 i5-2400/PIIx6 delivered; performance is in the lawsuit though headlines overlook that. considering those chips swapped blows in everyday usage, i have no idea what the problem is.

in the meantime the goal posts have moved so much, they disappeared.

Remember the golden rule of statistics: A personal sample size of one is a sufficient basis upon which to draw universal conclusions.
Upload the computer to Dropbox and provide a link to it so others may download it to examine and give advice for repairs.
loon 3.2
(18 items)
CPU
i7-3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
EVGA 980TI SC+
RAM
16Gb PNY ddr3 1866
Hard Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb
Hard Drive
1 TB Seagate
Hard Drive
3 TB WD Blue
Optical Drive
DVD DVDRW+/-
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
EKWB P280 kit
Cooling
EK-VGA supremacy
Case
Stryker M [hammered and drilled]
Operating System
Win X
Monitor
LG 24MC57HQ-P
Keyboard
Ducky Zero [blues]
Mouse
corsair M65
Audio
SB Recon3D
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by looniam; 09-11-2019 at 12:08 PM.
post #157 of 166 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 11:31 AM
✾ ✿ ❀ ❁

Rep: 342 (Unique: 274)
So did Celerons back in the day for frequency, it's a meaningless feat to real world anything.

Ah yes, hardware accelerated Ray Tracing is awful! It just makes it so much easier for game devs to make beautifully lit environments if done properly. It's not like 90% of photography and cinematography is about lightning. I've never been a fan of things looking good if they come from the leatherjacketman company.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-....125593.0.html

https://www.quora.com/Can-you-play-PS1-games-on-PS2
https://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/ps2_faq_compatibility

Early PS3 supported PS2 games as well. It's nothing really to do with it being AMD hardware, that was a very nice reach.

Being the first doesn't make it good, it's only a marketing timing dependent gimmick.

| This Cannot Continue | We Are Become As Gods | This Cannot Continue |

Vehicles:
Current: None.
Ex: '07 Fiat Palio, '07 Honda Accord Type-S
Illya
(26 items)
Yuki
(23 items)
CPU
Intel i9 9900K @ 5.2Ghz
Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus Master
GPU
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
RAM
G.Skill Trident Z 32GB 4000Mhz
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
WD Red 8TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W
Cooling
EK Velocity CPU Block
Cooling
EK 1080 Ti FTW3 GPU Block
Cooling
HardwareLabs GTX420
Cooling
HardwareLabs GTS280
Cooling
HardwareLabs GTS140
Cooling
EK D5 140 Glass Pump/res
Case
Phanteks Evolv X
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Asus ROG Swift PG279Q 165Hz 1440p
Monitor
I-INC 1920x1200 TN 27"
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Midnight
Mouse
Logitech G502
Mousepad
CoolerMaster Swift-RX XL
Audio
Sennhesier HD650
Audio
Schiit Jotunheim Amp/DAC
Audio
Samson C01U Microphone
Audio
Edifier R1700BT
Other
Oculus Rift
CPU
Intel 2500K 5Ghz
Motherboard
ASUS P8P67 Pro
GPU
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
RAM
G.Skill RipJaws X 2133Mhz 16GB
Hard Drive
120GB Corsair Neutron GTX
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
WD Red 8TB
Power Supply
EVGA G3 850W
Cooling
Hyper 212
Cooling
EK Vardar fans
Case
Corsair 270R w/TG mod
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Asus ROG Swift PG279Q
Monitor
I-Inc 1200p
Keyboard
Razer BlackWidow 2013
Mouse
Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Mousepad
CoolerMaster Swift-RX XL
Audio
Sennheiser HD650
Audio
Schiit Jotunheim Balanced DAC + Amp
Audio
Edifier R1700BT Speakers
Audio
Samson C01U Microphone
Other
Oculus Rift
Other
PS4 Controller
▲ hide details ▲

post #158 of 166 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 01:09 PM
mfw

nVidia, as a company, are, unsurprisingly, trying to profit as much as they can from their investment. But you cannot legitimately make the argument that RTX isn't helping the developers get acquainted with the technology and trying efficient workarounds for problems regarding effect and efficiency. It's all based on DxR, so it's not like the code sits in a vacuum with no practical benefit for the future.

It's the same argument over and over again: RTX sucks because it's not "good enough"; as if NOTHING AT ALL were any better.

Tell you what, though, as underwhelming as RT cores might be, their impact is more meaningful than Bulldozer OC records.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
▲ hide details ▲
post #159 of 166 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 01:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 463 (Unique: 263)
Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
nVidia, as a company, are, unsurprisingly, trying to profit as much as they can from their investment. But you cannot legitimately make the argument that RTX isn't helping the developers get acquainted with the technology and trying efficient workarounds for problems regarding effect and efficiency. It's all based on DxR, so it's not like the code sits in a vacuum with no practical benefit for the future.

It's the same argument over and over again: RTX sucks because it's not "good enough"; as if NOTHING AT ALL were any better.

Tell you what, though, as underwhelming as RT cores might be, their impact is more meaningful than Bulldozer OC records.
I have an RTX 2080 - I think I'd call it disappointing at half the price.
post #160 of 166 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 01:57 PM
mfw

Quote: Originally Posted by cssorkinman View Post
I have an RTX 2080 - I think I'd call it disappointing at half the price.
Then you'd call every single card on the market right now disappointing.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in