[TechPowerUp] [Updated] Der8auer: Only Small Percentage of 3rd Gen Ryzen CPUs Hit Their Advertised Speeds - Page 11 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[TechPowerUp] [Updated] Der8auer: Only Small Percentage of 3rd Gen Ryzen CPUs Hit Their Advertised Speeds

post #101 of 104 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
sudo apt install sl

Rep: 177 (Unique: 123)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
The Anandtech article explains the issue quite well, in the end it's nothing new, same old that has been known since launch years ago. People are not used to using their brain and dealing with technical details, then complaining when they fall for any company's marketing. Turbo clocks differ between products especially of different designs, they are not guaranteed and polling for accurate frequency via software is a joke. But oh no, people will still blow it out of proportion years later for profit, click bait etc.

It's more of a marketing issue that's present everywhere. They entice people to "max possible" while people delude themselves that it's "max guaranteed".

Intel out of the box doesn't do turbo clocks either on single core, or all cores, it falls all the way to base clock under heavy load but since most people never run such heavy loads they never see their stock Intel CPUs dropping down to 3.5GHz etc. and then complaining.

It's all being blown out with the only "wanna be proof" being done by software monitoring of clocks. Don't buy CPUs for their advertised possible numbers, buy them for the performance they offer and what you need. It's that simple.
Most of the PC builders who actually pay attention to clock speed have boards that enable MCE by default. Which means Intel users won't see the default base clock when under stress. I have my chip at stock and it runs at 4.2Ghz when under load not 3.6Ghz and I see 5Ghz boost in games often. AMD screwed up their Turbo and they fixed it.

Silent
(20 items)
CPU
Core i9 9900K... CoffeeTime! @ 4.2Ghz w/ 1v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Radeon VII @ 1900Mhz/1250Mhz w/ 1v
RAM
TeamGroup Xtreem 16GB 3866Mhz CL15
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector Radeon VII - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Clear Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 104 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 11:49 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
lol, AMD
post #103 of 104 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 01:22 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 18 (Unique: 16)
Quote: Originally Posted by ozlay View Post
Its just an AGESA issue. The earlier AGESA allowed higher boosts. It was buggy but it boosted higher.
is that what it was? i know the first bios for my b450m bazooka v2 allowed me to hit 4.4 on my 3600x, but the very next two limited it to just 4.2, i was wondering why.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #104 of 104 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 03:34 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 339 (Unique: 240)
Quote: Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
Most of the PC builders who actually pay attention to clock speed have boards that enable MCE by default. Which means Intel users won't see the default base clock when under stress. I have my chip at stock and it runs at 4.2Ghz when under load not 3.6Ghz and I see 5Ghz boost in games often. AMD screwed up their Turbo and they fixed it.
Yeah well new AMD CPUs don't leave over 1GHz left untapped like not so old Intel CPUs. Even new Intel CPUs are not pushed to limit that well out of the box. Intel still has a way to improve their products. Where as AMD is using boost similar to what people are now more used to on modern GPUs, opportunistic boost based on various metrics, not a simple predefined static boost table like Intel. The old approach that left performance untouched was "good" for overclocking and made people "happy" they had something to play with and exploit, where as these newer GPUs/CPUs with much better boost algorithms leave close to nothing to exploit by OC ==> people are not as happy.

I've yet to see Intel platform motherboard with PL1/PL2/... set to it's proper TDP, say 95W instead of 4096W and 1024A current limit. Some did ship with MCE disabled, some. A 9900K run to absolute specs of it's TDP, no MCE, is not that fast and will throttle, turning into an overpriced 8700K like performance. So... reviewers don't care about specs much, slap it on, unlimit power, thermals, etc. and let it rip, often even with MCE on especially when their board enabled MCE on default, or their board pushed 101MHz BCLK and other sneaky OC.

The Turbo on AMD is not really screwed up, it's just impractical to monitor for 99.99% of people accurately for any verification of does it boost to max specs or not. They can tweak the algorithms and try please people with slightly higher boost here and there, and they have done that even though they didn't have to.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in